AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-06-26, 04:51   Link #41
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I may have suggested Joyce, Faulkner, or Hemingway, but take note, however, of the books or works I recommend the thread-starter start with. Dubliners is not difficult; if anything, it's a great work of art with or without the deeper levels of pastiched meaning. Sanctuary is Faulkner's simplest book, and I'd say A Rose for Emily is a very well-written and simple (albeit scary) story.

As for Hemingway, he isn't difficult, is he?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 05:04   Link #42
Truth-kun
Do the Penguin Dance!

Send a message via Yahoo to Truth-kun
The Old Man in the Sea is so boring hahaha. But still nothing beats old English literature.

If you're into sci-fi stuff, try reading Jules Verne. There are many versions of his novel ranging from "For Elementary Students" to College Students. ^^
Truth-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 07:14   Link #43
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I find Hemingway eminently readable as compared to Shakespeare. I don't think old English literature beats Hemingway in that aspect. Though I'll probably disagree with you, as I did not once think that novella was boring.

An aside, though: Jules Verne was not English: he was French. Just clearing that up, if that was what you meant. The ones read by us are translated works of his.
Old 2006-06-26, 07:30   Link #44
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Argh, TK, I almost gave you bad rep for that, yeah. I'm not fond of Verne, but still, that's not English literature!
Yet, literaly speaking, he's got nothing special, but those stories had strong influence over many other writers all around the world, so I guess that's not useless reading.
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 07:57   Link #45
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

If you want to read French literature, I suggest Celine, Stendhal, or Zola. For Celine, pick Death on the Installment Plan or Journey to the End of the Night (I highly suggest this); for Stendhal, the Red and the Black or The Charterhouse of Parma, and for Zola, well, The Rougon-Macquart Cycle are all GREAT books. All 19-20 of them.

Verne isn't much of a French author but he was a clairvoyant, which made his books fun to read.
Old 2006-06-26, 13:28   Link #46
Katapan
俺様祭り

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
and for Zola, well, The Rougon-Macquart Cycle are all GREAT books. All 19-20 of them.
I definitely would not suggest this to begin reading French literature. I enjoy reading, but Zola is one of the most annoying authors I've ever come across. I cannot endure several pages that describe the same thing in every possible aspect. Stendhal is fine though, and I haven't read enough Celine to really comment. But I feel that we're getting a bit off-topic here. :x

I'll second the idea of getting English-speaking friends. I'm sure it can't be too hard for you in Australia Speaking with them will most likely make you feel more confident about your skills after a while. I spent a week with an American friend, which was the first time I'd spoken English in real life (excluding classes), and it helped out a lot, I don't feel too shy about my strange pronounciation anymore.

Reading children's literature to start with can't be bad either: Harry Potter is just fine to start, I ordered the latest volume in English because I wasn't patient enough to wait for the French translation, and thought it was a nice start to get used to English books. Even if you don't like reading, you must be able to find at least one genre you'll be able to stand
Katapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 13:44   Link #47
tritoch

The best way to learn english is to have a regular conversation with an english speaker. English isn't our native language so our school made us read english books, practiced letter sounds (e.g. distinguish between short u "ugh" and long U "you" sound) and made us converse with each other.

Once you grasped the basics, find books on learning grammar. Identify and differentiate nouns, pronouns, prepositions, adjectives etc..

Don't worry about spelling mistakes.

Practice makes perfect.

Also to the one that suggestion a newspaper subscription, you can subcribe to other types of written media like magazines as well. Let's say you like videogames, you may want to subscribe to monthly magazines like that too. Also might as well kill 2 birds with one stone when you read encyclopedias and such.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 13:58   Link #48
hooliganj
Team Player

Since physics seems to be intent on pushing a higher level of literature here, despite the purpose of the original request, perhaps we can combine the two ideas and go with classic children's books. Try Pinocchio, Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh, which convey good messages and morals in an entertaining form. If you prefer something more chaotic, yet still full of profound ideas, take a look at Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. If you prefer epic adventures, try The Chronicles of Narnia. True, many of these have been Disney movies, but in all cases the books are much better.

Hemingway is known for his sometimes shockingly direct approach in both language and story, and could probably be read by someone with an introductory level of English, but not every one enjoys those books. The Old Man and the Sea was my personal favorite, but I rarely recommend it. Start with something that moves a little faster, like To Have and Have Not, and see if his style is to your liking.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 14:49   Link #49
tritoch

Quote:
If you want to read French literature, I suggest Celine, Stendhal, or Zola. For Celine, pick Death on the Installment Plan or Journey to the End of the Night (I highly suggest this); for Stendhal, the Red and the Black or The Charterhouse of Parma, and for Zola, well, The Rougon-Macquart Cycle are all GREAT books. All 19-20 of them.

Verne isn't much of a French author but he was a clairvoyant, which made his books fun to read.

How could you forget, Les Thibault?

One of the best death themed french book.
Old 2006-06-26, 15:16   Link #50
boris no no
I am Russian bearded men

Send a message via MSN to boris no no
It's more then likely already been said but try and talk to English (or at least English speaking people online or in real life) Although saying this everyone I know has such strong accents even I don't understand it xD (I live in England ^^)
Or maybe as mentioned before watch some English speaking films My personal advise is to watch actual English films then American as Americans butchered the Queens language!! Plus English films are so much better xD

I do have to say that although English is not the first language of many of you but you type it so well, and no doubt speak it well. I'm trying to learn German and I'm failing so bad ;___; So well done to everyone! *dances*
boris no no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-26, 19:23   Link #51
tritoch

Writing or typing in english helps. It really does help. I started online chatting when I was in grade 3 and at that time, I was not to keen to notice grammar mistakes but people online don't mind just as long they can understand what you typed. Things change now, most people chatting online bash people with bad grammar or people who have plenty of spelling mistakes.

Also there are english workbooks that contain short stories plus some question with answers- Reading and comprehension books. Back in school we do it everyday, we had read a different story everyday and answer questions pertaining to the story.

When reading english novels, don't be discouraged when you don't know what that particular word mean. Just write it down and when you have all of them listed, get a dictionary.
Old 2006-06-27, 02:27   Link #52
4BiddenKnight

If you want to speak english, french, cantonese or any other languages well, hang out with the guys that speaks the language you want to learn. Constantly listening to their convos makes you be able to pick out words, phrases that you are familiar with.
4BiddenKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 03:20   Link #53
Lost

Is Winnie the Pooh a classic? Might I suggest The Wind in the Willows.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 03:38   Link #54
Shini_GamI
YuI

Send a message via MSN to Shini_GamI
lately ive tried to talk to my frds in english, well sometimes in chinese..... and talking to other people who speaks english as well =D
Shini_GamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 06:54   Link #55
boris no no
I am Russian bearded men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Is Winnie the Pooh a classic? Might I suggest The Wind in the Willows.
Its a classic! I loved Winnie the Pooh as a child
I know some people might scorn me for this but why not read the Harry Potter books? Yes the first few are childish and the films have become bigger then the books but serioisly a good read, plus the earlier ones were aimed at younger people so for someone learning the language it might be easier to read (I would like to add that I think Harry Potter is for all ages! I myself am reading them for the millionth time ^^) I think it would be better to read more modern books as some of the classics is in a style of English that is rarely spoken in normal conversation
Old 2006-06-27, 07:24   Link #56
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Since physics seems to be intent on pushing a higher level of literature here, despite the purpose of the original request, perhaps we can combine the two ideas and go with classic children's books. Try Pinocchio, Peter Pan or Winnie the Pooh, which convey good messages and morals in an entertaining form. If you prefer something more chaotic, yet still full of profound ideas, take a look at Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. If you prefer epic adventures, try The Chronicles of Narnia. True, many of these have been Disney movies, but in all cases the books are much better.

Hemingway is known for his sometimes shockingly direct approach in both language and story, and could probably be read by someone with an introductory level of English, but not every one enjoys those books. The Old Man and the Sea was my personal favorite, but I rarely recommend it. Start with something that moves a little faster, like To Have and Have Not, and see if his style is to your liking.
You seem to have mistaken my drift. Yes, I am pushing for higher levels of literature, but again, take note of my suggestions. They may have come from authors that are known for their avant-garde thinking, but the books I recommended are the simplest among their works. I'm just suggesting based from experience, as I don't think I'd have this level (whatever this level may be ) of English grasp were it not for my father plodding me to read 'the classics' or 'better books.' I'd certainly take Hemingway or Faulkner any day than some obscure columnist, one who I'm not sure even writes well. (I'd agree that reading classic children's books is fine and dandy. The OP, however, knows basic English already. Reading more basic English wouldn't help much; it probably would only let him entertain the notion that he has generally grasped the English language, which is untrue for the most part.)

Reading 'the classics' will ensure two things:
  1. The writer, at the least, will have a decent mastery of the English language. At the least.
  2. You know that the content will be worthwhile at the least. At the least. (Of course, it may not be worthwhile for you or reader #2, but it sure was worthwhile for many people, so why not start from there?)

@Shini_gamI
Oh, and I don't suggest The Old Man and the Sea. Better start simpler, like his Nick Adams stories, or, my personal favorite, A Clean, Well-Lighted Place. I'm still amazed, even now, of his nada concept.
Old 2006-06-27, 10:52   Link #57
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
  1. The writer, at the least, will have a decent mastery of the English language. At the least.
  2. You know that the content will be worthwhile at the least. At the least. (Of course, it may not be worthwhile for you or reader #2, but it sure was worthwhile for many people, so why not start from there?)
  1. The only author mentioned so far that did not have a mastery of the English language is Jules Verne. In fact, a good children's author will often have a much more sophisticated grasp of the English language, which they use to express the same ideas in a more easily read and understood form.
  2. I would argue that there are no books that are completely without worth; it's only a matter of the reader's interpretation. Joyce and Faulkner are important voices in literature, there is no doubt, but even at their simplest, they are not good material for beginners. There's a good reason why they are taught at the college level in most places. If I were to recommend an author to the original poster based solely on message, then I would probably go with S. E. Hinton - The Outsiders or Rumble Fish.

The Wind in the Willows is a totally classic children's book. Thanks once again to Disney, in my mind it's paired with The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, another entertaining story. More recommendations in that vein -
Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
The Phantom Tollbooth
A Wizard of Earthsea

Last edited by hooliganj; 2006-06-27 at 13:24.
hooliganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 11:39   Link #58
boris no no
I am Russian bearded men

Quote:

@Shini_gamI
Oh, and I don't suggest The Old Man and the Sea. Better start simpler, like his Nick Adams stories, or, my personal favorite, A Clean, Well-Lighted Place. I'm still amazed, even now, of his nada concept.
But how many people do you know speak "Propar English" This may sound like a completly daft question but you're suggesting reading classic books because they have better English in them. Surely someone that has a book published (and I mean novels and reading books rather then kiddy books) has an understanding of the English language.
Also, as I have said before modern English is not the same as it was 50 odd years ago. The language is changing and if you want to learn it modern novels wuold be more appropriate really (In my mind anyways, I'm not about to undermine anyones suggestions) Even reading English magazine would work as many of them use modern words (although some are trashy and do not want to be touched!)
Argh I dunno what I'm babbling about x__x I just think that the classic English language is fading fast
Old 2006-06-27, 15:24   Link #59
RMgX

One of the main problems you seem to have is that most of your friends are chinese and that you do not speak english amongst yourselves.
I lived in Canada for a year and after about half a year I was seldom asked where I came from. However I always spoke english except with my family. Everything I watched on TV and almost everything I read was in english also, I was also rather young and Swedish is much closer to english than chinese.
I suggest reading what you enjoy reading, that way you will read more ( don't read only comics though ). Newspapers especially the culture pages are decent for improving ones language somewhat. Otherwise I would suggest making more english speaking friends and hang out more with those you allready have.
Join sports clubs and organisations with aussies if you want to get to know more people fast.
Also practice your pronounciation, don't feel ok when people can understand what you say, aim to sound like the newsannouncer, try to feel if you are making sounds in the right part of the mouth etc.
Also make an effort to think in english.
The more time you spend with the language the more you will learn, the higher the quality of the english you spend time with, the better your english will be.
You don't have to abandon your old friends, get some english speaking people in your group as well and your chinese friends will have to speak english.

Last edited by RMgX; 2006-06-27 at 18:51.
RMgX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 15:42   Link #60
raphaël
trainee archangel

Send a message via AIM to raphaël
Actually this topic is very interesting because it sums up how young (and old) foreigners deal with the language of the country they're in. As a French living in Japan, I know how easy it is to get closer to your "people". That's why I came to Sapporo, and not Tokyo. So I only made Japanese friends. It's useless to say I had to meet the very few French around here, though I didn't mean to. I basically avoid them and I'm proud about it. I remember a philipinno friend of mine in Paris who told me avoiding Philippino was the only thing to do for him.

I'm not saying Shinigami should avoid Chinese, but still... I mean, I have that friend (French) of mine in Tokyo, complaining about how her Japanese skills didn't get better. Yet, she spent her days teaching French, and going out with French or Americans, so, no wonder she doesn't improve...
raphaël is offline   Reply With Quote