AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-03-08, 00:49   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 858 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Here we go! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the spoiler:

-Chapter title is "Meeting". Splash is a color page.

-We discover that Pekoms is currently under the care of the Sun Pirates. The mink is worried about the possibility of Jinbei not keeping his promise to rat out to Big Mom about Capone's plot, but Aladdin and his wife Praline simply tell him to chill out. However, Pekoms is still suspicious, as he spotted some cargo-carrying people who were on their way to report to Big Mom, but were intercepted by the Sun Pirates...

-Meanwhile, Luffy and Sanji meet up with Chopper's group at Capone's base. They're requested by Vito (Capone's right hand) to bathe before the meeting starts, as his boss dislikes meeting with dirty people. We then get a bathing scene with Nami and Carrot, where the former tells Capone's wife Chiffon how she met her twin sister, Lola. In exchange, Chiffon explains the circumstances behind Lola's disappearance, which was also what led to Big Mom earning the hatred from all of the world's giants: As it turns out, Lola was to be wed to the prince of Elbaf, LOKI! If this political marriage went as planned, not only would Big Mom have been on good terms with the giant race, but she would have gained the mightiest kingdom in the world as her ally! Unfortunately, Lola ran away, which forced BM to abandon her plan to befriend the giant race.... instead, she sought the artificial giantification method as an alternative. After telling her story, it seems that Chiffon expresses her worry that she would suffer Linlin's wrath and eventually be killed as well, as she and Lola are like peas in a pod....

-There's three and a half hours left until the tea party starts. Luffy and co. finish bathing, and the meeting with Capone begins. Interestingly, a familiar face is spotted at the meeting: Caesar! As it turns out, Capone managed to get hold of the scientist's heart, and helped him escape from the minister Perospero. In exchange, Caesar is one of Capone's men now (complete with his own alias). The meeting soon turns into a heated debate, but there is precisely one point where everyone present reaches common ground: When the question of whether anyone likes Big Mom is brought up, everyone shouts "NO!" in unison. It's here where Jinbei declares they're all allies, and should go through with the alliance, even if it's a temporary one. Thus, they proceed to brainstorm a plan....!!!

Last edited by marvelB; 2017-03-09 at 14:15.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-08, 03:41   Link #2
WyrdMonger

Why isn't anyone suspicious of Chiffon or Praline? Have they already forgotten Pudding?
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-08, 13:15   Link #3
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

lol Ceasar was the guy in the last picture last chapter it looks like.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 01:42   Link #4
Rainbowman

If that political marriage with the giants had happened, those giants would have been imprisoned with Big Mom's collection. And who knows what Germa 66 plans to do with those giants. Whatever those plans are, they can't be good.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 04:32   Link #5
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

I say that Jinbe is perfect for his skills of diplomacy considering he can put them back on track with just one simple question and it's a unique way to establish a plan with their rage on their head.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 05:19   Link #6
danielevo

I wanna see eleven worst generation sit one table to beat down Kaido and blackbeard ! That will be super awesomeee !!!
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 09:24   Link #7
mashingan
魔神眼

This chapter is pure awesome for its sitting scene.

Also, it's very funny
mashingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 10:12   Link #8
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Jinbei should just become the leader of Supernova Alliance... He handled them magnificently...
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 10:58   Link #9
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Nami and Carrot bathing = 10/10 chapter. I like that everybody got to rest for a bit. I guess the implication here is that they'll be at full power once the ceremony begins, or at least close. Also, I feel kind of bad for Pekoms. His loyalty is still with Big Mom, and he has yet to realize that his "friends" are allying themselves with the man who almost killed him and they're trying to take down Pekom's captain.
Old 2017-03-09, 12:05   Link #10
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
If that political marriage with the giants had happened, those giants would have been imprisoned with Big Mom's collection. And who knows what Germa 66 plans to do with those giants. Whatever those plans are, they can't be good.
Big Mom only collects and imprisons rare oddities; The various races are mixed into her country

Also i don' think Germa had any plans for the giants in particular; judge just noted their absence since Big Mom made a big deal out of her land have people of every race.
Old 2017-03-09, 14:17   Link #11
J4n1

Love it.
First, we kill Big Mom, then, we kill each other.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 14:32   Link #12
marvelB

Not sure if anyone else mentioned him yet, but I liked the design of that chef knight guy from the beginning of the chapter. We probably won't see much action from him though since he's not a minister or one of the sweet commanders (which reminds me, we've still yet to see the third commander, Katakuri...).

Otherwise, not that much else to say that others haven't said already. Yes, Jinbei is a great mediator, but I also found it kinda interesting that Capone was willing to let Luffy take revenge for shooting Pekoms (at least, if that translation is right). I also rather like Caesar's mafia outfit, now that we have a better look at him. Now, I'm just interested in how Capone plans to strike Big Mom at the wedding....
Old 2017-03-09, 14:54   Link #13
WyrdMonger

I cannot help but think that Oda loves dressing up his characters in different outfits.

Would anyone buy an art book, depicting their favourite character, in over a hundred different outfits, each?
WyrdMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 15:36   Link #14
itachi-san314

Great chapter with the bath scene and the Capone scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I also found it kinda interesting that Capone was willing to let Luffy take revenge for shooting Pekoms (at least, if that translation is right).
Did Luffy actually hit him? I can't tell exactly if people are holding Luffy back, Luffy purposely missed or if Luffy actually hit him.

Quote:
I also rather like Caesar's mafia outfit, now that we have a better look at him. Now, I'm just interested in how Capone plans to strike Big Mom at the wedding....
Yes, Gangster Gastino is my new favorite side character
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 16:23   Link #15
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That was such a great chapter. It had a little bit of everything. Humor, fanservice and plot.

I've been wondering about the reason Big Mom hates giants and the explanation in this chapter makes sense and ties in with Lola's backstory nicely. I personally think Chiffon is sincere. Capone isn't an idiot, he wouldn't have shared his plans with her if he wasn't sure she would get on board.

Luffy's tooth has been discussed so much, I loved that it simply grew back after he drank some milk.
Old 2017-03-10, 15:50   Link #16
marvelB

You know, another thing I find really interesting about this chapter is how this will affect the upcoming Elbaf arc. On one hand, it would be expected that the Straw-Hats would be on friendly terms with the Elbaf giants since they befriended (and even saved the lives of) a few of their warriors in past arcs. However, on the flip side.... there could be some mighty negative consequences if the giants find out that their saviors are also friends of the woman who ran out on their prince's wedding. I see no reason to doubt they'd still feel greatly offended by the incident, so who knows how they would treat the friends of the woman who dishonored them. At this rate, a trip to Elbaf could take a major turn for the complicated if Luffy and co. aren't careful....

--------------

On another note, once the chaos starts at BM's wedding party, a part of me kinda hopes that Vito takes on the minister Perospero.... if only because the both of them have a tongue thing going on with them, heh.
Old 2017-03-10, 16:54   Link #17
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
You know, another thing I find really interesting about this chapter is how this will affect the upcoming Elbaf arc. On one hand, it would be expected that the Straw-Hats would be on friendly terms with the Elbaf giants since they befriended (and even saved the lives of) a few of their warriors in past arcs. However, on the flip side.... there could be some mighty negative consequences if the giants find out that their saviors are also friends of the woman who ran out on their prince's wedding. I see no reason to doubt they'd still feel greatly offended by the incident, so who knows how they would treat the friends of the woman who dishonored them. At this rate, a trip to Elbaf could take a major turn for the complicated if Luffy and co. aren't careful....

--------------

On another note, once the chaos starts at BM's wedding party, a part of me kinda hopes that Vito takes on the minister Perospero.... if only because the both of them have a tongue thing going on with them, heh.
Interesting view on that one; I was for Brook vs Perospero, because of their slight and tall build. Along with the Cane's IIRC them both having.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-10, 20:38   Link #18
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:

--------------

Well, i hope that Oimo and Kashi has manage to reach the homeland safely and since Straw hats was already secure Elbaf as his allies i think he already got some firepower if some feud happens there. Hajrudin is also part of Elbaf if i remember it correctly right? So i think if Hajrudin become a champion there, most likely he want them to join Straw Hats not to mention Broggy and Dorry also stranded on Little Garden island where Straw Hats engages Mr. 3 and Golden Week where the also put their trust on them.

I think when it comes to Elbaf Arc it will become interesting and possibly could be linked to Big Mom's assault on Fishman Island as well if she decide to go all-out attack where Luffy gotta need his fleet to defeat Big Mom as well.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote