AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2017-10-06, 05:39   Link #8201
Kamuui

Frog-kun made a very nice summary + impressions so I will let here (warning: pretty big text with images).

Spoiler for :

I don't know about you guys, but to me it looks like Watari is writing the story in some way that seems more adaptable in a movie than in another season. If the series will really end in volume 14 then I think a movie (or a series of movie like Heaven's Feel) would fit much better and would be far more gorgeous. If we get something like "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" I would be in tears.
Old 2017-10-06, 08:39   Link #8202
Sixth
Hu Tao

Among all girls in this LN or anime, I kinda fond with Kaori's character design. Her hairs look so nice and fluffy to touch.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 11:14   Link #8203
HereticMagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamuui View Post
Frog-kun made a very nice summary + impressions so I will let here (warning: pretty big text with images).

Spoiler for :

I don't know about you guys, but to me it looks like Watari is writing the story in some way that seems more adaptable in a movie than in another season. If the series will really end in volume 14 then I think a movie (or a series of movie like Heaven's Feel) would fit much better and would be far more gorgeous. If we get something like "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya" I would be in tears.
Coming back into the series after all this time, all of these 'conflicts' seem cheesy af. I think I understand the people who didn't like the second season of the anime at all now.
HereticMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-06, 11:32   Link #8204
sasabit

Is Hachiman really the one who says “I don’t want something genuine if it’s only going to be cold, cruel and sad.”?
sasabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-07, 00:06   Link #8205
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticMagus View Post
Coming back into the series after all this time, all of these 'conflicts' seem cheesy af. I think I understand the people who didn't like the second season of the anime at all now.
Yeah, too much unnecessary drama and conflict in S2.
Old 2017-10-07, 14:22   Link #8206
lijenstina
Nihilism for Beginners

I don't think it was unnecessary drama, it was just dragging on too much (volume 10 and 11).

“Talking nonsense is the sole privilege mankind possesses over the other organisms. It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth! I talk nonsense, therefore I'm human”
lijenstina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 10:06   Link #8207
Shadow5YA

Two volumes of drama until a third volume for resolution was par for the course past volume 6. The Christmas arc resolved in volume 9, and Hachiman played martyr and soured things in volumes 7 and 8.

In this case, volumes 10 and 11 would have been par for the course, but it was just made significantly worse by the wait from the hiatus.

The bigger issue is the gradual tonal shift beyond the halfway point in the series. Early on, even when things soured and something broke apart the Service Club, there were still plenty of cynical, but light hearted moments. But beyond volume 6, the humor has gradually disappeared to make way for even more serious drama. The only real breather we have had was the Christmas arc with Tamanawa's shenanigans. It's like the series became the drama queen Hachiman was making fun of early on in the series.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-08, 10:18   Link #8208
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Two volumes of drama until a third volume for resolution was par for the course past volume 6. The Christmas arc resolved in volume 9, and Hachiman played martyr and soured things in volumes 7 and 8.

In this case, volumes 10 and 11 would have been par for the course, but it was just made significantly worse by the wait from the hiatus.

The bigger issue is the gradual tonal shift beyond the halfway point in the series. Early on, even when things soured and something broke apart the Service Club, there were still plenty of cynical, but light hearted moments. But beyond volume 6, the humor has gradually disappeared to make way for even more serious drama. The only real breather we have had was the Christmas arc with Tamanawa's shenanigans. It's like the series became the drama queen Hachiman was making fun of early on in the series.
All because Yukino for being inflexible drama queen and unnecessary meddling from Haruno.
Old 2017-10-08, 18:00   Link #8209
snarlmane

The biggest problem with season 2 was that people couldn't follow what was going on, because Studio Feel rushed the source material, changed things or left out incredibly crucial details that would have made the story make more sense to people. And it's a problem that is still relevant to this day. Even for a lot of LN readers as I've noticed.

I'm not saying that the series didn't become more dramatic, but I will say that it would have been more engaging if it had been properly adapted and people could actually follow what was going on. There have been moments of levity in the later volumes, but most of those happen in the side volumes. And when a studio rushes the source material, you end up with a season 2 that not only doesn't make sense, but also has very little in the way of "fun" when it comes to the main characters.

I don't know if any of you guys visit the Oregairu subreddit (some of you probably do), but I posted an incredibly long summary on the series where I explain the story beat by beat, in the hopes of fixing the story. And well, for some people it worked, because it opened up a lot of things to them and I guess made the series more fun, because they could now actually follow what was going on.

And I was kind of planning on doing the same thing to other anime communities. Obviously I can't force anyone to read it or force anyone to like the series, but I do still think that this has a very good story, that's just a bit too difficult to follow for its own good, because there are so many things you need to pay attention to in order for you to fully grasp everything that's going on.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, would you guys be open to giving the series another shot, basically letting go of everything you thought you understood about the series and starting over again, except this time with me guiding you through what's going on?

If not, then there's nothing I can do to fix the series. However, a lot of people that have read it, have really enjoyed it. So, let me know if you guys would be interested in that.

tl;dr: I've written a really long summary on the series where I explain pretty much everything and point out things that you may have missed out on. I can't guarantee that you'll love the series again if you finish reading it, but maybe you will.
snarlmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-10, 23:37   Link #8210
ShirayukiX
betwixt and between

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlmane View Post
The biggest problem with season 2 was that people couldn't follow what was going on, because Studio Feel rushed the source material, changed things or left out incredibly crucial details that would have made the story make more sense to people. And it's a problem that is still relevant to this day. Even for a lot of LN readers as I've noticed.

I'm not saying that the series didn't become more dramatic, but I will say that it would have been more engaging if it had been properly adapted and people could actually follow what was going on. There have been moments of levity in the later volumes, but most of those happen in the side volumes. And when a studio rushes the source material, you end up with a season 2 that not only doesn't make sense, but also has very little in the way of "fun" when it comes to the main characters.

I don't know if any of you guys visit the Oregairu subreddit (some of you probably do), but I posted an incredibly long summary on the series where I explain the story beat by beat, in the hopes of fixing the story. And well, for some people it worked, because it opened up a lot of things to them and I guess made the series more fun, because they could now actually follow what was going on.

And I was kind of planning on doing the same thing to other anime communities. Obviously I can't force anyone to read it or force anyone to like the series, but I do still think that this has a very good story, that's just a bit too difficult to follow for its own good, because there are so many things you need to pay attention to in order for you to fully grasp everything that's going on.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, would you guys be open to giving the series another shot, basically letting go of everything you thought you understood about the series and starting over again, except this time with me guiding you through what's going on?

If not, then there's nothing I can do to fix the series. However, a lot of people that have read it, have really enjoyed it. So, let me know if you guys would be interested in that.

tl;dr: I've written a really long summary on the series where I explain pretty much everything and point out things that you may have missed out on. I can't guarantee that you'll love the series again if you finish reading it, but maybe you will.
Hasn't and never will ruin the series for me; plus, I'm too biased towards Oregairu to save my life. (only read the TL;DR version. Busy with writing a blog and school, so apologies good sir.)
Old 2017-10-11, 02:42   Link #8211
WingedAccelerator

Friendly reminder that Brain's Base put 6 volumes of content into one season, while Feel put 5. Both considered "rushed" in my standards, but I guess Feel's version gets more hate, because that's where the story got more serious, so it's kinda noticable at the end. Although they treated Volume 9 well, that alone got like 4 episodes, or 4 and a half, and that's a plus.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-11, 03:04   Link #8212
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Nah, I don't think that either season was rushed. Hell, I think they did the best possible outcome for the two seasons by ending at the "clash" between Hayama and Hachiman for S1 and the three-way confrontation outside of the aquarium park for S2. I just feel that people wanted more scenes from the LN to make it into the anime series, and it's an understandable but greedy sentiment.

That said, the structure of the story for this volume does seem boring, but only because it was published after a long hiatus. I bet people are thinking "we've waiting a long time for THIS?" As for me, this reminds me of Volume 6 of Hyouka, where the status quo had to be shattered for actual story development to happen among the main cast. It can't be helped, we're approaching the end of it all.

My only worry is whether the conclusive volume will be fulfilling enough.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 01:15   Link #8213
Rejectors

^I don't think that either season was rushed.

Season 1 Adapt Vol 1-6.5 (7 Volumes adapt).
Season 2 Adapt Vol 7-11 (5 volumes adapt).

Me: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you maybe try to re-read the Novel again I guess.
Old 2017-10-12, 01:30   Link #8214
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I haven't really planned to read the novels due to several reasons including (1) watching the anime series based on its own merits and (2) the anime has covered everything.

If anime-only watchers did not consider the two seasons as a rushed adaptation, then it could mean two things: the anime series had done a good job in adapting what's necessary, OR that the LNs could be further compressed and lose absolutely nothing of its essence.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2017-10-12, 02:02   Link #8215
Rejectors

^the anime has covered everything.

Here we go again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just leave it as that.
Old 2017-10-12, 07:36   Link #8216
snarlmane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
If anime-only watchers did not consider the two seasons as a rushed adaptation, then it could mean two things: the anime series had done a good job in adapting what's necessary, OR that the LNs could be further compressed and lose absolutely nothing of its essence.
What if I showed you what Watari himself thinks of his own adaptation?

>Could you guys respect the source material?
http://imgur.com/a/KAxuO
http://imgur.com/a/oVIWb

>I wonder how long they will be my fans.
http://imgur.com/a/WW7rm

>Volume 11 delayed. ANOTHER to go alongside the BDs.
http://imgur.com/a/Drzu8

Keep in mind that the guy isn't contractually allowed to speak up about his series out in the open, which is why he hasn't said a word or talked to any of his fans in two years. He did show his grievances not just with the adaptation, but the anime industry as a whole as well in his other work; Girlish Number.
snarlmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 12:17   Link #8217
hikarushindo

Quote:
It's just like Harry Porter. The people who only watched the movies said they were full of holes while book readers said those were all explained properly in the books. But are you sure no anime-only watchers said the second season was rushed? Because I know some would say otherwise. After vol 7, the series got more serious with important details so we can't compare vol to vol. for example, vol 9 alone was around 600 pages while other vols usually were around 300 pages.

But the problem with SS2 is not because it's rushed but the lack of a direction. Heck I would even say that they did not skip enough. If they skipped that chuuni guy's scenes, they might as well skipped some Totsuka's scenes (don't kill me please.) and Hayama's scene too.

SS1 direction is to boost the series sell. Thus it put out the unique of the LNs. Ep1 was a strong induction. And the one with Hachiman's though about nice girls hit viewers like a train. I dare to say most anime-only viewers still remember this scene vividly. SS1 served its purpose really well as an introduction to the series.

But what's the purpose of SS2 after viewers have already tasted those uniqueness and most have already read the LNs? As we have already long passed the introduction point, it's nothing more than just some summaries and spoilers. What message did they try to send to viewers? Facing consequences of your actions? The real pain of losing irreplaceable things? The conflict between one own ideal and reality? Or the desire for genuine things even if they are cold and cruel? It tried to do everything. Thus, it achieved nothing. It failed to capture the struggle Hachiman went through after seeing the results from his past actions in vol 9, which became a turning point to the series. For anime-only viewers, this is really bad because it undoubtedly reduced the impact of following events a whole lots. It's just like how Harry Porter movies never explain why they don't use guns (like seriously, all their spells feel like a waste of time except the invisible one hehe)

For anime-only viewers, what would they remember beside colorful arts and a flood of events? SS2 depicted all important scenes but they didn't have a soul. Thus, it couldn't stand on its two feet and failed miserably.
hikarushindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-12, 19:59   Link #8218
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
>Could you guys respect the source material?
One cruel truth: thing will never go as planned. The best thing to do is settle for a compromise. The author definitely knew this—HE only knows how to write, and THEY only know how to make his story into an animated adaptation, regardless of how good or accurate it would get.

Quote:
>I wonder how long they will be my fans.
Another cruel truth: an author/creator is only as famous as its biggest hit. Just like how Dan Brown's name is only known for The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, Watari might as well be forgotten after Oregairu ends. But that didn't stop people like Kazuma Kamachi or Hiro Mashima from being the prolific creators that they are. That's one cruel road a creator has to tread on, and I'm pretty sure every single one of them who loves their craft are well aware that their fame is short-lived.

Quote:
Keep in mind that the guy isn't contractually allowed to speak up about his series out in the open, which is why he hasn't said a word or talked to any of his fans in two years. He did show his grievances not just with the adaptation, but the anime industry as a whole as well in his other work; Girlish Number.
Also keep in mind that the overall tone of Girlish Number isn't completely cynical nor is it optimistic that things will change for the better. Quoting my own impressions for Girlish Number's finale:

Quote:
SUCK IT UP! encapsulates the final episode, really. Everyone had a moment to recollect on how much they hate the job through Chitose's monologue, but they instead used it to move forward and make with what they have. They are working on a shitty anime with shitty animation and a shitty story based on a shitty LN. The director is a massive douchebag who drags around everyone with his nonsense, and schedules and budget are stretched thin. However, they have already committed on the project, and they have to persevere, at the very least to give themselves the catharsis they needed.
Quote:
It's just like Harry Porter. The people who only watched the movies said they were full of holes while book readers said those were all explained properly in the books. But are you sure no anime-only watchers said the second season was rushed? Because I know some would say otherwise. After vol 7, the series got more serious with important details so we can't compare vol to vol. for example, vol 9 alone was around 600 pages while other vols usually were around 300 pages.
Of course, Harry Potter with its expanding page coverage. Of course things would get cut off. Everyone knows that a single movie won't be able to cover everything, and Deathly Hallows had to be split just to accommodate the amount of content involved. And yet people kept on complaining.

Quote:
For anime-only viewers, what would they remember beside colorful arts and a flood of events? SS2 depicted all important scenes but they didn't have a soul. Thus, it couldn't stand on its two feet and failed miserably.
That's what people think, that since the anime had left out some details from the light novels meant that the anime series had to feel "incomplete". Well, that reeks of adaptation bias. Please, be a little bit more considerate about the limitations of an anime adaptation. I'm sure everyone is aware that the anime will feel incomplete in some parts, and that's how it is with adaptations.

Old 2017-10-13, 00:38   Link #8219
Sixth
Hu Tao

I don't know, man. I think even if the anime has adapted the source material perfectly, I am still dislike the direction it went because it made everything so gloomy and unfun to read or watch because the whole silly "Genuine" that they were seeking. Would have prefer that the story focusing on them solving people's problems instead of being a drama queen. Also, they should have be the new School Council member because Hikigaya and Yukino are deserved it.

People said that Hachiman is a "Batman" but the Batman that I watched/knew said something more awesome line than "Genuine", which is "Because sometimes…the truth isn't good enough. Sometimes people deserve more. Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded."
Old 2017-10-13, 02:18   Link #8220
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

The "end of fun and games" is a staple in school club-themed anime.

It happened with K-ON.
It happened with Sket Dance.
It happened with Haganai.
And it already happened with Oregairu, a club that didn't even have a strong foundation in the first place.

Tags
club, comedy, delayed release date, dramedy, fake harem, gagaga bunko, harem, hinedere, kuuderes, philosophy, romance, school life, slice of life, social psychology, train wreck