AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2018-01-10, 14:51   Link #5441
shadow1296

i doubt anyone who says jaune's semblence is lackluster would have been happy unless his semblence was like this

which is an unrealistic expectation
Old 2018-01-10, 15:13   Link #5442
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiki343 View Post
I agree. I'm glad his semblance is something like this rather than some deus ex machine power up that would allow him to miraculously save the day.
*cough* Like Ruby *cough*
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiki343 View Post
That would be some Fairy Tail bullcrap. And like I said I don't care much for Jaune, so this didn't bother me too much.

It's just that RT has built this up for all these years since volume 1 as this big deal, when it really isn't. There was more hype on Jaune's semblance than Ruby's silver eyes, which I find rather annoying.
Funny you say something like that when I view Ruby's silver eyes as asspull Deus Ex Machina. Reminds me of the Sharingan/Rinnegan, and I dislike eye-base powers like those. Too many fanfics wanted Naruto to have this ability the first time it was introduced and it soured my views on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I think saying RT build hype is projecting. Jaune had always strong aura, but there was never point hinting his semblance is supposed be something special.
The fact that they waited 5 years to show it is a form of hype. People expected something worthwhile for the wait. They could easily have done this in the last Volume. Makes more sense for one of his teammates to take a fatal hit. The fear of losing another teammate would give him even more incentive to unlock his Semblance. That would give more suspense to the viewers whether he/she will die or not if a member of RNJR got wounded. Here there really wasn't a sense of danger because we all know Weiss has plot armor.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2018-01-10 at 16:52.
NAJ P. Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-10, 16:29   Link #5443
shiki343

I see what you're saying about the silver eyes. I see it like this; there is a right and a wtong way to do Deus Ex Machina power-ups. A major power-up can work if it has significant relevance to the story going forward. Super Saiyan was a Deus Ex Machina power-up when it was first introduced. But it worked because it had build-up beforehand, and it became a major staple of the series Dragon Ball Z going forward. The same can be said for Yusuke's demon powers in Yu Yu Hakusho.

Ruby's silver eyes are a Deus Ex Machina power, and RT could have done a better job of building it up in previous volumes definitely. Hiwever, given the mystery around the silver eyed warriors and Summer, the silver eyes will almost surely become a major plot element in the story down the line, hopefully.

On the other hand, power-ups done horribly is when they're introduced solely to get the heroes out of the current situation and that's it. Fairy Tail is a prime example, where people would just get power-ups, or pull techniques out of their @ss in order to defeat the opponent they're currently fighting, only for that power not to have any relevance or usefulness afterwards.
shiki343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-12, 11:32   Link #5444
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

To be fair, (although it doesn't entirely fix it), Ruby's eye power was retroactively foreshadowed in the first episode.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-12, 12:32   Link #5445
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
To be fair, (although it doesn't entirely fix it), Ruby's eye power was retroactively foreshadowed in the first episode.
Wasn't much of a foreshadow. Ozpin just commented of her having silver eyes. After that it wasn't mentioned again or even give hint of its power until we saw her use it in Season 3.

"Thou art I... And I am thou... Thou hast established a genuine bond... The inner most power of the Awesome Arcana has been set free. We bestow upon thee NAJ P. Jackson, the ultimate form of the Awesome Arcana."
Old 2018-01-12, 12:45   Link #5446
Tenzen12

It was weird enough to weird Ruby out, so it's possible Monty had planned it out all along.
Old 2018-01-12, 14:21   Link #5447
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
Wasn't much of a foreshadow. Ozpin just commented of her having silver eyes. After that it wasn't mentioned again or even give hint of its power until we saw her use it in Season 3.
That's why I said retroactively. And also why I said it doesn't entirely fix it. I actually think about what I say sometimes, you know?
Old 2018-01-13, 00:11   Link #5448
DMurphy

I do think it's fair to say that that line in the first episode is meant to be foreshadowing.

That doesn't really mean it's good foreshadowing, though.

Done right, foreshadowing ideally should prep an audience so that when the plot twist happens, it fits into the story in a way that makes sense -- the foreshadowing makes the reader aware (on one level or another, and not necessarily a conscious one) that there's a gap in their understanding of the story, and then the reveal fits into that gap, feeling surprising but still like an organic part of the story.

The problem with Ozpin's silver eyes comment is that it doesn't really imply that there's anything the reader doesn't know -- it's one already quite strange man making an offhanded comment that doesn't become relevant until three years after the fact, and I think anybody who thought about it would assume he's just drawing a comparison to her mother.

What might have worked better is if it was mentioned a few times more. Have Cinder remark on it in passing the first time she sees Ruby, have Ozpin specifically single the trait out again when talking to Qrow about Ruby, have -- idk, Oobleck make a remark about how it's interesting. Mentioning it just two or three more times would have created that expectation in the viewer, so when the reveal happened it wouldn't have felt like a tacked on addition to the world (in a volume that also introduces Maidens, giant dragon Grimm, and Salem).

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 10:15   Link #5449
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

What I was trying to say that in a later episode, a comment was made about the comment Ozpin made in the first episode, which is kind of a confirmation that Ruby's eye power was a planned thing and wasn't just made up as they went. Nothing more or less than that.
Old 2018-01-13, 11:19   Link #5450
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Episode 13:

Jesus Adam went down like a chump. I'm guessing it was because he wasn't expecting Blake to be confident and no longer afraid of him that he really underestimated her. Likewise that mini reunion between Team RWBY was a bit anticlimactic with Yang deciding to follow her mother rather than hang around for Blake (which is IMO the correct course of action, that is going after her mother).

And, of course, HOLY SHIT THAT FIGHT BETWEEN CINDER AND RAVEN WAS AWESOME. Raven won by freezing and throwing Cinder into the abyss, which is really too good a fate for her at this point. The episode ends with Yang confronting her mother as the Relic chamber opens, so I'm guessing we're in for something big in the finale.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2018-01-13 at 11:30.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 12:51   Link #5451
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

That was a short reunion with Blake and RWBY.

It makes sense now why the fight scenes was lackluster the last two episodes. They used their budget on the Raven vs Cinder fight. Although Cinder's fate was too tame. I wanted her in agony.

It was satisfying to see Nora hammer smash Hazel. Idiot used lighting against Nora? Big Mistake.

Wow Jaune's Semblance is Aura transfer with some sort of power amplification effects. That should be useful and versatile, and its uses is unimaginable. Much better than just healing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
i doubt anyone who says jaune's semblence is lackluster would have been happy unless his semblence was like this

which is an unrealistic expectation
Yep Jaune has similar power as fgo's Jeanne D'Arc, giving buff's to her allies.

Last edited by NAJ P. Jackson; 2018-01-13 at 13:17.
Old 2018-01-13, 13:31   Link #5452
DMurphy

I'm going to place this bet now: I think Cinder is still alive. Like, the show took pains to show us that a Maiden can break out of that full body freeze, Cinder has an extendo-arm and flight powers, and we haven't seen the body.

Old 2018-01-13, 14:23   Link #5453
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

The fight between Cinder and Raven was amazing and I loved every second of it. Sadly, the rest of the episode was disappointing and woefully underwhelming.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-13, 17:51   Link #5454
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAJ P. Jackson View Post
That was a short reunion with Blake and RWBY.

It makes sense now why the fight scenes was lackluster the last two episodes. They used their budget on the Raven vs Cinder fight. Although Cinder's fate was too tame. I wanted her in agony.

It was satisfying to see Nora hammer smash Hazel. Idiot used lighting against Nora? Big Mistake.

Wow Jaune's Semblance is Aura transfer with some sort of power amplification effects. That should be useful and versatile, and its uses is unimaginable. Much better than just healing.

Yep Jaune has similar power as fgo's Jeanne D'Arc, giving buff's to her allies.
It was explicitly stated it was NOT his semblance.
Old 2018-01-13, 19:50   Link #5455
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
?

Of course it was his Semblance.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 09:01   Link #5456
NAJ P. Jackson
Magus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
He said he does not think healing is his semblance when Nora commented on it but there's no doubt that whatever he was doing is a part of his Semblance.

Old 2018-01-14, 09:30   Link #5457
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

so Yang might inherit her mom's Spring Maiden power? I hope it would happen
They need those hax powers to beat Salem after all

I think in last episode, Salem would come and clean up everything including retrieving the relic and Cinder
Raven might die by sacrificing herself to let the children get away

in the end, Jaune is unfit to be in frontline... healer should stay in the back all the time
Nora's got power boost from electricity though

These 3 last episodes are really great... They made a comeback from a dire situation and it is not a random powerup
I'm disappointed at Ruby since her silver eyes did nothing but only exhausting herself
Glad to see Yang become cool-headed again after seeing Blake.. I guess Blake's appearance has restored her disappointed state since Weiss has proved that she is right about Blake
Blake is one-hitting Adam though

For Raven vs Cinder, those are by far the greatest 1v1 in RWBY because it involved swordplay and magic.. seriously, Yang! Learn some sword technique from your mom.. you'll be more badass
Looking at Raven's power, it is scary to imagine how strong this STRQ team before.. Qrow is probably the weakest member out of them

Last edited by ~Yami~; 2018-01-14 at 09:59.
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 10:59   Link #5458
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Well, the Week Late Plus One Day Train rolls into episode 12, and what an episode.

Apparently Leo is weak enough that Oscar can whack him upside the head with the light end of the cane and send him tumbling down curved stairs. That's... not a good sign. How has this guy survived? Also, some dodgy animation of Jaune running across the lobby and baseball sliding next to Weiss.

Basically, Hazel was like someone directly injecting cocaine there. I'm sure that'll turn out well for him. Sure, he's not thinking right now, but there has to be the risk that if you don't kill Ozpin now you'll be down for the count anyway. Wasn't it that Oz could control Oscar's body for a while, but really only a short time? So he's taking the risk that he can beat Hazel quickly before he runs out of time.

Ruby tells Jaune to not stop doing whatever he's doing... after removing his hands from Weiss' wound. Right. Direct contact could've been a requirement, ya know... Guess it's not, but it could've been.

Cool pose by Ruby, though, when she goes to help Yang. Also, Qrow got lit the hell up. Woooooosh. He may not have landed yet. Not sure if I missed it in peoples' comments about next week's episode, but do we actually get to see Yang and Ruby fighting Mercury and Emerald? I'd think we have to based on some comments around Yang. I just am eager to see how they approach the fight with Emerald making plenty of use of her Semblance so far. That said, I'd think Yang would've figured some of this stuff out by now and not be as easily confused... unless I'm forgetting something. Can Emerald edit the real image out of your mind in addition to implanting the fake one or is that she can only implant a fake image? I think it's the former based on the end of Season 3, but I can't quite remember.

Why would Cinder bother killing Vernal before Vernal actually opened the door? Seems like Cinder could've waited to see the door open and then take Vernal's power. Or, so she thought, as Raven was actually the Spring Maiden... Also, how did Cinder freeze Raven? I thought Cinder's powers were all fire based. Anyway, really looking forward to the Raven/Cinder fight next week based on how people are commenting about it so far this weekend.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-01-14, 13:33   Link #5459
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Can Emerald edit the real image out of your mind in addition to implanting the fake one or is that she can only implant a fake image? I think it's the former based on the end of Season 3, but I can't quite remember.
She can edit out stuff that's really there. When she was luring Amber into a trap, she made herself invisible.

Quote:
Also, how did Cinder freeze Raven? I thought Cinder's powers were all fire based. Anyway, really looking forward to the Raven/Cinder fight next week based on how people are commenting about it so far this weekend.
I'm pretty sure Maiden powers come with a full suite of elemental manipulation abilities -- we saw Amber use wind, ice, lightning, and fire after all -- and Cinder just personally prefers working with fire and ash.

Old 2018-01-14, 18:30   Link #5460
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think this might be it for Cinder, but I find it perfectly acceptable if I end up being wrong about that.

So... As it turns out, Jaune's semblance isn't healing, but rather amplification. That makes him kind of akin to Ando from Heroes, I suppose. Except with less electricity. Which is great, I liked Ando and like with Jaune, his power was reflective of him. A person who wants to help and support his friends has the power to.... help and support his friends.

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby