AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-06-30, 02:38   Link #1
chamelean75

Prince of Tennis manga discussion

Can someone tell what the chapter equivalence to the end of the episode 118 of Prince of Tennis? I mean with what happened in the anime so far, what chapter does this correspond to in the manga.
Old 2006-07-17, 09:47   Link #2
Sinanju
Koroshiya

Prince of Tennis, manga vs anime

I heard that the manga has episodes past the 178 episodes of the anime, can anyone confirm this? oO Also if anyone knows if there are plans on making more anime of prince of tennis (except OVAs) I'd appreciate if you told me ^^;; Thanks
Old 2006-07-17, 10:17   Link #3
AznOverThere
<3DenseSyrupyPeachFlavour

umm yeah there starting POT national championships episode one is out =P
Old 2006-07-18, 22:14   Link #4
sanghyun1990
상현

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelean75
Can someone tell what the chapter equivalence to the end of the episode 118 of Prince of Tennis? I mean with what happened in the anime so far, what chapter does this correspond to in the manga.
Chapter 195 or 197 is start of events in 118. Anyway manga is way better
Spoiler:
Old 2006-07-18, 22:39   Link #5
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanghyun1990
Chapter 195 or 197 is start of events in 118. Anyway manga is way better
Spoiler:
Nonsense.

Spoiler:

That or he probably possessed some sort of l33t time-space warping powers. Not surprising considering some of the techniques those players possess. Just when I thought the manga was getting better at Chapter 310 and 311, they pull the 3 doors crap.

And I kinda like the anime better a bit, for it's amazing fillers and the s-x-e battle between Tezuka and Fuji at the end.
Old 2006-07-20, 00:42   Link #6
Spooky-Electric

Amazing fillers? You've gotta be kidding.

The only filler I ever liked was Jyosei Shounan.

The US team was terrible filler. None of those characters even looked American, nor were any of them intriguing at all. They had no interesting tennis moves and their stories were generic and bordering on ridiculous. Scouting a large football player to play tennis? Terry Griffith was the closest thing to a female I've ever seen, even for anime. There's no way that guy is a dude. And then you have filler like entire episodes based on Ryoma and Momo trying to pay a guy for some ramen. Don't even get me started on the chibi episodes..
Old 2006-07-20, 04:53   Link #7
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I found it entertaining. Sure, the chibis weren't all that good, and I hate training episodes, but I liked most of them. Each to their own though. Though that may be because of my Kevin Smith fanboyism.

And I don't think the current Nationals arc are any better than US Open arc imo. If anything, I'd say the only good point of the Nationals is Tachibana vs Chitose, minus Chitose's ridiculuous blabbering....and his l33t powers.
Old 2006-07-20, 11:50   Link #8
Spooky-Electric

What's so great about Kevin Smith? All he did was rip-off Echizen's moves and he was full of generic angst.
Old 2006-07-20, 19:15   Link #9
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky-Electric
What's so great about Kevin Smith? All he did was rip-off Echizen's moves and he was full of generic angst.
If you want me to be very technical in my every preference in anime, I would've given up on countless animes long ago and now for failing to reach certain standards in animation, character development, storyline, etc. And yes, PoT is one of them for weak character developments, overblown perspectives of tennis, weakly constructed opponents, etc.

To me, liking an anime character isn't really all that focal on their genericism. It all so goes on my own personal impression of the characters. Kevin Smith may be incarnated in another different anime with a different role and I may dislike him there.
Old 2007-02-17, 19:38   Link #10
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

To anyone who still cares, my biggest fears have come true... Konomi's such a Tezuka fanboy.

Spoiler for Latest chapter:

Atobe = <3

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-02-20, 00:10   Link #11
cloud28
The One and Only

Send a message via MSN to cloud28
Finally on Volume 13!(I read 12 volumes in 2 days..i am amazed..)
Old 2007-03-21, 18:35   Link #12
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

I am reading through this series and I am trying really hard to like it but it is near impossible. Any sports manga will inevitably be compared (at least by those who have read others) to other sports titles, like Hajime no Ippo, Slam Dunk, Eyeshield 21 etc, even some other titles that might fall into the genre due to the competitive nature of the story ie Hikaru no Go. In this sense POT falls short woefully so, the main character isn't lacking in any serious way except his standoffish personality, which seems to bother no one. Many may say so what, but if you carefully examine the characters that are most loved in Manga especially sports manga you will find people who while they might have natural talent are not already trained masters of the sport that can steamroll thier opposition. One of the greatest moment of Hajime no Ippo was when he lost to Date Eiji, not because I like seeing the hero loose but because when he took the belt 10 volumes later it was impossible not to feel like it was that much greater of an accomplishment since he had to retrain and comback after a defeat. And in Slam Dunk, not only Sakuragi but most of the team is flawed fataly so, even the guy who comes in with all the skill and talent (Rukawa) falls short when it comes to teamwork something he doesn't overcome until the very end and even then just for that moment. In POT you see the hero overcome almost every obstacle with little or no effort, he looses at street tennis and by the next match he is able to stand in a match with seasoned players and beat them because he is just that good. I guess what I am saying is the fact that the main character is so flawless makes him boring. He is even loved and admired by all the girls maybe I will finish enough volumes to see in it what so many others do but I am doubtful I am on volume 10 and I wanna take a nap.
Old 2007-03-22, 03:04   Link #13
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Ryoma's like....the last reason I read TeniPuri, or maybe 2nd last, topped only by Sakuno. I got bored of him by volume 3.

I think TeniPuri's best appreciated as a crack manga. It has it's good moments, but more often than not, it's almost as if the author is drawing it just to fuel his fanboyism of Tezuka or to poke fun at it. Seriously, recent serious chapters are real comedy in my opinion. Right now, it's totally for the laughs. I've given up wanting to see some real sports drama in TeniPuri.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2007-03-22, 13:53   Link #14
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

To me it is like those old episodes o dragon ball z, Someone is getting beaten so they suddenly learn super blaster style X which gives them a momentary advantage until the oponnest laughs heartily and says but what about my "evil eye Z!" after which the hero digs even deeper and comes up with smashing fist of doom or something like that, these guys don't practice and perfect techniques through hardwork (see slam dunk and hanamichi's 1000's of jump shots, and even then he was still a begginer) they suddeny develop them in mid game through some sort of mystical tennis power, maybe they are channeling andre aggassi or something but this series is more than slightly lame. (yes I know i am not only reading it but bothering to comment on it but seriously if someone comes here looking for info on the series they need to know what they are getting into.)
Old 2007-03-22, 15:43   Link #15
Hydex

I still read this, only for Ryoma (That's why I didn't stop at volume 1). That's one of the first time in sports manga where the main hero isn't a complete loser at the beginning and doesn't fear every one...
Although I read other sports manga like HnI or ES21, that's certainly not for the main protagonist.
Old 2007-03-22, 17:13   Link #16
Mykas
Wu Di Jin Gang Tui

Try Slam Dunk no one on the team is afraid of anyone even when they face gorilla like players twice thier size. I am obviously biased twards it but it really is a great sports manga, If it had the back story that Hajime no Ippo does it would still be going on today.
Old 2007-04-22, 00:41   Link #17
DwArD
mAnIaC

I just read chapter 341. Its pretty hilarious and I think you guys should know what's the story about when I said its hilarious. I mean....the few hilarious chapters had something to do with Inui's drinks
Old 2007-04-22, 10:01   Link #18
aikming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwArD View Post
I just read chapter 341. Its pretty hilarious and I think you guys should know what's the story about when I said its hilarious. I mean....the few hilarious chapters had something to do with Inui's drinks
The BBQ right???
Old 2007-05-07, 01:25   Link #19
qT_dRn

Question tezuka

i would like to ask if anyone knows the real name of the actor portraying the role of tezuka in prince of tennis the movie. your answer would be very much appreciated...thanks a lot...ciao
Old 2007-05-09, 08:32   Link #20
qT_dRn

i would like to ask if anyone knows the real name of the actor portraying the role of tezuka in prince of tennis the movie. your answer would be very much appreciated...thanks a lot...ciao
Closed Thread