AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-09-29, 14:26   Link #101
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf View Post
With Fujisaki Ryuu, it's not going to be common shounen style but he tend to make the art quite....stylish. You may lookup Houshin Engi and Shiki, while the former is more typical shonen style with strange body ratios, the latter is done in a dark tone but the art may seem strange. Those two are good IMO especially the art style for Shiki is actually quite matching.

His previous style may scare you off but if you look at that picture on that news page it's nothing like his previous works. So I'm quite sure he's going to change the art style according to the work, but you may need to be wary that he is sure to modify the original work into his own version.
You know, for some reason that part just made imagine LoGH in Hirohiko Araki's style
Old 2015-09-29, 14:30   Link #102
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
You know, for some reason that part just made imagine LoGH in Hirohiko Araki's style
Ouch. Although I'm pretty sure it's been done somewhere, somehow. Even CLAMP did LoGH stuff, after all...

(CLAMP and Tanaka characters. I'm not a huge fan of CLAMP but this is so cute.)
Old 2015-10-03, 04:42   Link #103
Dragonria

Yang Wen li and Reinhard Chibi designs from the manga in YJ: (EDIT: In better quality Below)
Spoiler:

EDIT: it's the his design as child during the time he met with Siegfried
Old 2015-10-03, 05:01   Link #104
kuromitsu

Not sure they're "chibi".... I sure do hope so, though. Reinhard is one thing but Yang is at least 10 years older than him, and there's no way he would look this young. (Maybe he's younger in this version? But then his whole backstory makes no sense.)

Edit:
You mean Reinhard? But then why is he wearing what appears to be a uniform?

Anyway we'll probably find out in the actual chapter.
Old 2015-10-03, 05:25   Link #105
Dragonria

I got only few spoiler pictures from Yaraon. It looks like his design during his early military career.

Siegfired's design??:
Spoiler:
Old 2015-10-03, 05:32   Link #106
RDNexus

Guh... I'm not sure I'm liking those designs that much...
Old 2015-10-03, 05:50   Link #107
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonria View Post
I got only few spoiler pictures from Yaraon. It looks like his design during his early military career.
The guy ate the end with Reinhard is the design of Siegfried, right?

Yeah, he's named Kircheis, but....
......?????
He looks so weird. So weird. I don't mind Reinhard too much because he's a pretty boy so as long as he's blond and pretty and has icy blue eyes there's not a lot of ways that his design could go wrong, but Kircheis... So weird. And even the character himself aside, the art is just weird, I mean in the last picture, what's going on with his face? It's like one of those '90s anime character designs where everyone had potatoes for faces. Ahem. (I kind of hoped the designs would be more "serious", I guess it wasn't meant to be. I wonder how the characters will look like as adults. I wonder how Reuenthal, Mittermeier and Oberstein will look like...)

Also, I wish the mangaka would decide on whether he uses modern outfits or not. Cravats and sneakers don't really go well together.

Anyway, this is not from Reinhard&Kircheis' early military career, it's from their school days. The guy with stubbles in the last scan is most likely Reinhard's drunkard father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Guh... I'm not sure I'm liking those designs that much...
See? It's possible. :P

lol, the comments at Yaraon. "Don't tell me they'll use this art for the anime?" "Don't do it" "No way they'd use this art in the anime... if they do it'll end up as kurorekishi" "This is like some Geass doujinshi... it this gets turned into an anime young people will call it a Geass ripoff" "Yang looks like he's some nameless side character"

Let's just hope for the best...
Old 2015-10-03, 09:13   Link #108
Beobachter

I'll add a vote of confidence for Fujisaki Ryuu's skills. Strictly in terms of writing, his Houshin Engi is one of the most underappreciated war manga I've ever read. It might be 'shounen', but it's a deep, large-scale geopolitical fantasy that thrives with its massive cast of surprisingly well-developed characters (with a complex strategist as the main protag, no less) and multi-faction intrigue, as well as having lots of shades of grey, sociopolitical content, and an absolute refusal to ever pull its punches despite the ostensible reader demographic.

He's a perfect match for LoGH from my view, tons of thematic similarities with his own Houshin Engi. Just get used with his... ahem, rather zany artwork and questionable fashion sense.
Old 2015-10-03, 09:33   Link #109
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Houshin Engi is indeed a good manga. I've read it some years ago. Still though, the artworks in that manga can be very.........intimidating (for lack of better words).
Old 2015-10-03, 09:59   Link #110
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobachter View Post
He's a perfect match for LoGH from my view, tons of thematic similarities with his own Houshin Engi. Just get used with his... ahem, rather zany artwork and questionable fashion sense.
TBH I'm comforted by the statement that he knows the novels well. Hopefully he'll try to keep true to their spirit instead of trying to turn them into something else.

The fashion sense is indeed questionable (cravats and sneakers? how even?), as for the art I may or may not get used to it, but... really, Kircheis looks horrible on that last scan. What's even going on with his face.
Old 2015-10-03, 14:53   Link #111
Dragonria

The color page in better quality:
Spoiler:

Reinhard's eyes also look a bit weird (The inside is like a flower) but it seems to be on purpose.
Old 2015-10-04, 10:12   Link #112
kuromitsu

Quote:
Reinhard's eyes also look a bit weird (The inside is like a flower) but it seems to be on purpose.
Oh thanks!

Yes, the eyes are weird, but I'm not sure they're supposed to be weird... I think the mangaka just forgot how eyes work.
Old 2015-10-05, 01:06   Link #113
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
The color page in better quality:
Spoiler:

Reinhart looks fine

but something is off about Yang.
Old 2015-10-19, 22:11   Link #114
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Reinhart looks fine

but something is off about Yang.
Yang looks slightly emotionless or even somewhat downtrodden compared to his usual jaded smile of someone who fights for a democracy that people could give no shits to participate in. He's supposed to be the opposite of Reinhard's intensity, but just seems shifted laterally and closer to Reuenthal's stoicism.
GANBARIMASU
Old 2015-10-20, 02:57   Link #115
kuromitsu

As long as he doesn't "inherit" anything else from Reuenthal...

By the way I read the first chapter, and saw scans of the 2nd (in Korean unfortunately so I couldn't read it), and it was surprisingly OK. The art mostly works better than in the samples I saw here, Kircheis looks OK for most of the time. Reinhard is a bit iffy, with really weird eyes and a somewhat unexpectedly expressive face (with some stereotypical manga-esque exaggerated expressions that look pretty strange on Reinhard), but he's OK so far, and most importantly I'm glad that Fujisaki left his personality intact, including his less than commendable actions (including the incident with a bully and a stone).

As for the story, the first episode was pretty much the How Kircheis Met Reinhard & Annerose story, not much original content so that's good. (And some of the original content was actually pretty nice, including a bit of foreshadowing that I thought worked really well.) So, so far so good. The second chapter however follows right where the first left off and seems like an original story about Reinhard & Kircheis' academy adventures (that, or it's based on a gaiden, I can't tell) so it seems the mangaka is going with a linear storytelling for the time being. No Yang or the Alliance yet.

The imperial uniforms look pretty meh, rather fantasy-like. I'm not a fan.
Old 2015-12-14, 20:51   Link #116
GDAFF
Japanese Translator

I've read up to Chapter 8... This seems to be adapting the Gaiden arcs first. So far, Reinhard and Kircheis are in Kapche-Lanka for their first mission. So I guess this is going in chronological order. No problems with that.

Honestly, I'm really liking this manga adaption. The beautiful backgrounds, the pretty (and expressive) character design, I think it's all really appealing.

I'm actually thinking about translating this.
Old 2015-12-15, 03:51   Link #117
kuromitsu

Yeah, the manga is pretty good so far, rather charming. I'm enjoying it a lot. The art works well, too - the world design and background art are very nice, and while I wouldn't necessarily call the character designs pretty they're interesting, and distinct but not overwhelmingly so. (I think Reinhard is too expressive, though, but I suppose they thought they needed to make him more accessible. Maybe he'll eventually grow out of it.) I wonder how these designs will look after being adapted for animation, though...

(This looks awesome, though:
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I want that coat!)

I'm not very happy about the storytelling choice, though. Nothing wrong with the writing itself, but I wish Fujisaki would just get to the "point" and jump to Astarte... I'm anxious to see all the other characters, and the main story. (I've never been a fan of the gaidens.) That sneak peak at Yang at El Facil was cruel! And Reinhard and Kircheis really need some supporting characters. (Chronologically it's still a few years until they meet Reuenthal and Mittermeier... I wonder if Fujisaki will include that story. I hope he will.) Also, I'm still worried about the manga not really fitting Weekly Jump's profile... what if it gets cancelled before it could start the main story? Or if they planned it to be short to begin with, to use it as a source of character designs and to tide people over until the anime starts? (What if the anime follows the manga in storytelling and we won't get to see everyone until like 10-13 episodes in?? <-- no, really, I am worried about that )

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDAFF View Post
I'm actually thinking about translating this.
Do it! The manga is not getting the attention it deserves.
Old 2015-12-18, 20:45   Link #118
GDAFF
Japanese Translator

Well, I've decided to translate the manga. I'm doing the first chapter, currently on page 35 out of 59. Maybe I'll get this chapter done sometime next week?

Also, I'm not sure it'll be canceled or run short... The chapter titles are like #001, so I can assume it's gonna be running for a long time. And about the direction of storytelling. I fear that is the likely course of the future anime, or at least it would make sense, since the manga would then be around for a while by 2017. I suppose that path in the story is reasonable since it's recording the "history" of the two heroes. I'm just gonna hope that Fujisaki don't try to adapt all of the gaiden arcs, and skip the more trivial ones. I'm anxious about the main story.
Old 2015-12-19, 04:52   Link #119
isamu99

Never watched the original show but I'm curious:

Which TV franchise is more difficult to follow plot-wise between LotGh and your typical politically driven Gundam series(aka original Gundam, Zeta, Wing, Unicorn, etc)?
Old 2015-12-19, 05:20   Link #120
kuromitsu

Quote:
Well, I've decided to translate the manga. I'm doing the first chapter, currently on page 35 out of 59. Maybe I'll get this chapter done sometime next week?
I hope this will drum up some interest in the English language side of anime fandom. Lots of people are not even aware that this manga exists (although I guess most people aren't even aware of the previous manga's existence either...).

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure it'll be canceled or run short... The chapter titles are like #001, so I can assume it's gonna be running for a long time.
Well, it's serialized in a weekly mag. If it runs for ~2 years' worth of time it'll be enough to reach 100+ chapters.

Quote:
And about the direction of storytelling. I fear that is the likely course of the future anime, or at least it would make sense, since the manga would then be around for a while by 2017. I suppose that path in the story is reasonable since it's recording the "history" of the two heroes. I'm just gonna hope that Fujisaki don't try to adapt all of the gaiden arcs, and skip the more trivial ones. I'm anxious about the main story.
What I'm worried about is that so far all we've seen is Reinhard and Kircheis (with Kircheis being in a main character position every now and then), plus less than handful of side characters, most of whom are not relevant in the main story at all. The novel and the OVA for the main story share the time between the two sides and the various main characters (aside of Reinhard and Yang) in a very balanced way, right from the start. But here it's very much a Reinhard and Kircheis story. And OK, technically Reinhard is the main character, but with all this exclusive focus I'm worried about 1. whether the manga and especially the anime will focus too much on him at the expense of everyone else (it would be especially unfair for Yang, but this story has so many great characters!); and 2. about what will happen once, er, the inevitable happens (I mean the end of the second novel/first season of the OVA), and the other characters don't have enough presence in the reader's/viewer's mind.

One more reason why I'd really hate if the anime followed this storytelling is that it won't get the amount of episodes the OVA had, so it would be such a waste of time.

I suppose we can only wait and see... but I really want to see the main story and the other main characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
Never watched the original show but I'm curious:

Which TV franchise is more difficult to follow plot-wise between LotGh and your typical politically driven Gundam series(aka original Gundam, Zeta, Wing, Unicorn, etc)?
IMO LoGH is not difficult to follow as long as one is paying attention and has a good face/name memory (there are a lot of characters), but its story is more complex than that of the Gundam shows I've seen. It's longer (at 10 volumes/110 episodes), and more involved, with a bunch of side plots that may suddenly jump into relevance. Also, there's a lot more talking.
Closed Thread