AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2018-05-20, 04:10   Link #21
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Yeah, what happened to him is a little like "he touched the bottom, now he can only go up".
Other characters say that he's strong mentally (like how he can face near death experience "naturally"), but the thing is just he doesn't want to go back to the old him and does his best to move forward.
Rinvelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 04:31   Link #22
Rasty

^^ I think he will learn some decent attacking on a normal person level in near future (meaning he becomes capable of beating some thugs), though that will still leave it in absolute trash category as far as his party goes considering all of the others are absolutely overkilling everything.

It's not so strange they found him and I doubt they know Mia as there is firstly no need, secondly she is not on their level (talent maybe, current ability not) and thirdly it would not make much sense from the future development point (I fully expect Mia meeting them later, getting big surprise and having trouble getting over MC being stronger than her).

As for why they found him, my thoughts are this: Firstly Jin is a 1st class assassin so he is accustomed to finding people (his targets) and should have good information network. Secondly, an adventurer with a skill so unsuited for fighting should get rather famous, especially so if he is next to a "rising star" like Mia. And thirdly Jin should have gotten ample support from the guild in finding people with this skill, because for the guild his party becoming more effective can be only a good thing and they have little reason to hide MC (firstly he is unimportant and even if he dies there is no loss for them and secondly it's not like Jin is searching for him to assassinate him).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 05:44   Link #23
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Drake View Post
Honestly, though, I have to wonder why Nort wasn't already a Thief before the start of the story. Or why he didn't have any Job Class at all. There isn't anything to suggest that there's any detriment to having a Class, or any real issue with gaining or changing classes. And there's known and active benefits of having Abilities which can be gained through having a class. It doesn't explain how classes are picked up, how they are decided or anything else like that. It's honestly strange. The story also doesn't seem to explain how the Arrivers (the party that gets Nort to join them) heard about him, but I honestly suspect that they heard about him from Mia.
Aaah, the "before the story starts everything is a blank slate" or "nothing matters before the story starts" type

There's that one sage who secluded himself for 500 years, coming out of seclusion, entered school, making harem and shit, and that 3 years keep going endlessly
Or killing slime for 300 years and only after that many things started happening

Shitty pacing all over narou
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 06:02   Link #24
Darius Drake

^^ Honestly, all three of your explanations on how they found him sound more like a forced solution than a natural one. Having someone, be it Mia or someone else, like the Priest who revealed their Skills, informing the party of his existence feels more natural to me. For example, while Mia might not be strong enough yet to reach the party on her own merits, her Skills and thus potential make it reasonable that she could join a party that do have sufficient merit to interact with The Arrivers. Additionally, while Note might be "famous", it's unlikely to be on a scale beyond the very local, even with his association with Mia. Thirdly, why would the Guild help in connecting a group of highly powerful & skilled adventurers with someone who is so likely going to die if he helps them that he doesn't even have a class before meeting them, even if they are planning on training him?

As for the future meeting with Mia, I like to see the best in stories that don't outright show me the opposite, and can thus see two other options to what you suggested. The first is the easiest, and have Mia and Note never meet again, though, as there's a picture of her drawn I do also doubt that that's going to be the case. Even ignoring that, there's two versions of the meeting with Mia remaining stronger than Note (because, to be honest, I feel like it would be OP Protagonist Bull**** if Note ended up actually stronger than her, with her ease at mastering the bow, spirit magic and large physical boost). The first is that they meet again and she's overjoyed at how much stronger he became, while we realise that she was as upset at their separation as he was. The second has her moving on as well, maybe not to the degree that Note does (aka, no budding relationships), and either being happy that Note has managed to develop a way to look after himself, or just accepting that Note has moved on and grown since she left.

As for Note learning how to attack on the level of a normal person in the future, do you mean being able to shank someone, or do you mean being able to fight against a moderately experienced opponent fairly? Because the first could be developed in the near future, while the second needs him to be able to combine the ability to shank someone with his current dodging skill, and I feel like the Author will actively prevent him from being able to do that anytime soon. This is not a "How I became the strongest in the world due to or despite my 'garbage' skill" story, and is instead a "How I became a useful & potentially famous party member, due to or despite having a garbage skill" story. The first has him gaining the ability to fight against Forse or Rosalia in a fair fight, while the second has him being a near non-existent factor in late story battles, but the most beneficial ally to have outside of them.

^ Honestly, there can be SOME explanations made up, but from the translation I read it was never addressed. The easiest explanation I can think of is that classes are gained through development of skills, and thus without actively trying to get a class or having a disposition for a class from your Skills, it's hard to pick one up without actively seeking it, and Note never did. As for changing classes, you'd have to pick up a skill unique to a different class despite the penalty to learning it, and through that lose the abilities you have from your previous class. But the reason for my question is that it's never actually brought up, it's never explained, it's just that he doesn't have a class before the story starts, for some reason. It could easily be mentioned in the first chapter, in a single line or two, without breaking any immersion, and can even tie into why Note is so depressed about being weak (his inability to pick up a class working into it). Alternatively, it could be mentioned when he becomes a Thief later on, except that it isn't, and he just says that he doesn't have a class and the next chapter he's suddenly training Thief Class skills for some reason. It's frankly weird and annoying how classes are gained is never brought up in this story, even if it's in first person, due to how vital they are to the plot and how easily and seamlessly it could have been woven in.

Edited to add the response to wuhugm and edited again because Note is a better name and I suspect that it's probably going to be the proper English Translation for the male MC, so I changed the name in this post from Nort to Note.

Last edited by Darius Drake; 2018-05-20 at 06:17.
Darius Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 06:10   Link #25
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter

My guess is Note will find his place as the logistic member of the party. If anything, I'll see his reunion with Mia could end well as he no longer have to compare himself with her in her own play field.
Old 2018-05-20, 06:11   Link #26
Rinvelt
駄目人間

I'm pretty sure they found him only by chance. At first they wanted to take a civilian and train him so Jin went to one of the "starting city" for adventurers, then he heard of Note. (yeah, not fan of Nort).
Old 2018-05-20, 06:16   Link #27
Lazgrane
Dimension Exploiter

How they found him is unimportant, it's just a matter of justification.

What irk me the most is how, after all those year of adventuring, he has never once tried to step foot in a dungeon and "accidentally" find out his skill effect
Old 2018-05-20, 06:21   Link #28
Rinvelt
駄目人間

^Wut? You realise how dangerous dungeons are? Going with an average party is already dangerous (nobody would want him, so not possible), so alone is suicide.
Old 2018-05-20, 06:29   Link #29
Darius Drake

^^ That's actually understandable. Note's a low level adventurer, if not considered an outright newbie adventurer even after being one for a few years, and Dungeons are places for mid to high level adventurers. Mid train in the higher floors, and high can get down to the 16th floor with a burden. It's important to remember that nobody's known to have successfully cleared a dungeon before. Additionally, Note had to move towns to get to a dungeon, and was, for most of his time as an adventurer doing little more than low-level odd jobs around his home town.
Old 2018-05-20, 07:31   Link #30
Rasty

Quote:
For example, while Mia might not be strong enough yet to reach the party on her own merits, her Skills and thus potential make it reasonable that she could join a party that do have sufficient merit to interact with The Arrivers..
That wouldn't match in time, she was insignificant when they parted and not enough time passed. She also did not go to the dungeon city and the Arrivers are mainly interacting only with 2 (or 3, don't remember) greatest parties in the city, that are absolutely out of her reach at the moment.

Quote:
Additionally, while Note might be "famous", it's unlikely to be on a scale beyond the very local, even with his association with Mia.
That's enough. If you are looking for a guy with specific skill the least you can do is send a letter to every a bit significant city whether they know about anyone like that, and being known to all the adventurers in the city (even if in a bad light) makes the chance of getting mentioned rather high.

Quote:
Thirdly, why would the Guild help in connecting a group of highly powerful & skilled adventurers with someone who is so likely going to die if he helps them that he doesn't even have a class before meeting them, even if they are planning on training him?
Because they asked? They have no reason to hide Note and every reason to help the best-earning party. Note is also not forced to do anything and if he dies... not like he was making much profit for them, right (actually good riddance of a burden)?
Also there is no GDPR in middleage.

Quote:
The first has him gaining the ability to fight against Forse or Rosalia in a fair fight, while the second has him being a near non-existent factor in late story battles, but the most beneficial ally to have outside of them.
It actually is moving into the "strongest" dirrection, though (it even had the typical "stranded in dungeon for months" part). In short term he is gonna gain only basic attack abilities (defeat street hooligans level), but in long term (after Jin's removal from party, or just before it) it is quite likely he is gonna gain attack powers close to Jin's, which combined with his evade/detect skills might make him the strongest in the party.

^ Yep, this part even gets mentioned in the part about why (almost) no one ever tried that mapping skill in a dungeon. Dungeons are dangerous even for high-level adventurers, going there with no serious fighting ability is straight suicide.. well Note was feeling a tad suicidal in that time and he was fully okay with going for "Do or die" kind of thing, but it likely never occured to him that he can go there and he did not have the will to do such a radical step (without at least some trigger, which was Jin in this case).
Old 2018-05-20, 08:29   Link #31
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Death flag is strong in the new chapter.
Old 2018-05-20, 11:59   Link #32
sasuke706

^Jin's death flag has been strong for a while.
It started when frankly he became a mentor character, got stronger when the protagonist became a better enemy detector, and skyrocketed when the protag copied his skill but with Arts. Not to mention Jin being the group's flawless dad.
Rather, this sequence is just delivering on the death flag.

That said, Note plans to try to do something about it.
Odds are that he'll fail, live obviously, and learn something from it. New resolves even, maybe.
Of course it could also take a twist, Jin doesn't die (whether or not he still leaves the party), they actually manage to win, whatever else.
Note will likely end up taking notes (this is why I didn't use Note originally; "Note" isn't a name and "Nort" is) on attacking from the ordeal and gain the resolve to carry them out, at a later date.

^^Note also went around from party to party as a bag-carrier in the starting town even after Mia left. For half a year, even.
So word of him would easily get around. Finding out about him wouldn't be hard at all.

It's actually kind of hard to think Mia would become a dungeon explorer this soon, however.
Their original plan was to obviously adventure together, but as they were both raised in the same rural village, it seems they caught the tail-ends of rumors about the dungeon being super hard.
Meaning that the two probably planned to do more adventuring in the typical sense of the word. Not that losing Note can't change her mind at all.
Not that it might not be in her skill range. A lot of the Arrivers mostly rely on their skills and natural talents. Like Erin never even practiced magic after coming to the city, and Forse decided to do it because everything became too easy after he got his skills.
Neme is the worst in that she doesn't seem to train for any dangers in the dungeon at all, with the party even going as far as having someone carry her if they need to flee.
Rosalia seems to have some proper training to an extent, since her skills don't directly relate to a lot of the things she can do. Unless they actually do and it's all the holy sword she summons? I don't remember.

There's also probably actually a good chance Mia is facing the same isolation Erin and Forse did after gaining their skills.
Then again, for having the best sword skill, Forse seems pretty unpopular. Probably the habitual behavior.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 17:02   Link #33
Rasty

^ If ability and popularity were directly related I would have much less trouble finding a girlfriend.

As for Jin's life, I actually think there are only 2 choices. Either Jin somehow loses his life while saving Note, which I would hate, because it would lead straight into Note's depressions (even more than normal death) or he survives. Actually getting this kind of "I am gonna kill you" letters usually means the character is gonna live in most novels...

Erin did go through magic education though and gained some serious abilities, just not enough of them to be versatile and just did not continue improving after coming to that city (which already changed) and Forse also went through a long sword training, after which he was just traveling and challenging anyone who seemed strong, thus gaining lots of experiences.
As for Neme... she is a strange character and does not really fit with the rest. She doesn't seem to train in anything and except for the healing, she is just a luggage. There is also the point about her being in kinda heroinish position yet not showing any interest in MC (or whoever else) and the story has been just skimming over her circumstances. I wouldn't be surprised were she just to drop dead, or for example, if she was the one who hired the assassin to kill Jin.
Old 2018-05-20, 17:10   Link #34
Darius Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
It actually is moving into the "strongest" dirrection, though (it even had the typical "stranded in dungeon for months" part). In short term he is gonna gain only basic attack abilities (defeat street hooligans level), but in long term (after Jin's removal from party, or just before it) it is quite likely he is gonna gain attack powers close to Jin's, which combined with his evade/detect skills might make him the strongest in the party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
^Jin's death flag has been strong for a while.
It started when frankly he became a mentor character, got stronger when the protagonist became a better enemy detector, and skyrocketed when the protag copied his skill but with Arts. Not to mention Jin being the group's flawless dad.
Rather, this sequence is just delivering on the death flag.

That said, Note plans to try to do something about it.
Odds are that he'll fail, live obviously, and learn something from it. New resolves even, maybe.
Of course it could also take a twist, Jin doesn't die (whether or not he still leaves the party), they actually manage to win, whatever else.
Note will likely end up taking notes (this is why I didn't use Note originally; "Note" isn't a name and "Nort" is) on attacking from the ordeal and gain the resolve to carry them out, at a later date.
That's a shame. It takes a potentially interesting path for the story to follow (succeeding despite having an obvious disadvantage), and turns it into an all-to-common-now story (turning a supposed disadvantage into the basis of your being Over Powered).

Spoiler for Prediction for the future:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
That wouldn't match in time, she was insignificant when they parted and not enough time passed. She also did not go to the dungeon city and the Arrivers are mainly interacting only with 2 (or 3, don't remember) greatest parties in the city, that are absolutely out of her reach at the moment.
Quote:
It's actually kind of hard to think Mia would become a dungeon explorer this soon, however.
Their original plan was to obviously adventure together, but as they were both raised in the same rural village, it seems they caught the tail-ends of rumors about the dungeon being super hard.
Meaning that the two probably planned to do more adventuring in the typical sense of the word. Not that losing Note can't change her mind at all.
Not that it might not be in her skill range. A lot of the Arrivers mostly rely on their skills and natural talents. Like Erin never even practiced magic after coming to the city, and Forse decided to do it because everything became too easy after he got his skills.
Neme is the worst in that she doesn't seem to train for any dangers in the dungeon at all, with the party even going as far as having someone carry her if they need to flee.
Rosalia seems to have some proper training to an extent, since her skills don't directly relate to a lot of the things she can do. Unless they actually do and it's all the holy sword she summons? I don't remember.

There's also probably actually a good chance Mia is facing the same isolation Erin and Forse did after gaining their skills.
Then again, for having the best sword skill, Forse seems pretty unpopular. Probably the habitual behavior.
Honestly, if I'm right about Mia being as heartbroken as Note is about their parting (even if Note was more depressed about being weak), it's entirely possible that she hasn't even tried to join a party, and instead is relying on her Spirit Magic for defence and enemy detection, her Physical Boost for evasion/positioning, and her Archery for offence, and managing as a solo adventurer.

That said, why does everyone seem to be assuming that she hasn't progressed as much as Note has? Yes, Note has been trained by the best team, as well as been into actual dungeon dives. However, Mia has the best combination of Skills and an obvious direction to progress in. She likely gained some sort of Spirit/Magic Archer class before even leaving town, and there's nothing to suggest that she couldn't have progressed nearly as fast as Note in the year or more they've been separated, particularly if my assumption is correct and she was dealing with her own unhappiness at separating with him by throwing herself into work.
Old 2018-05-20, 18:55   Link #35
lexlexz

i stoped reading the raws in the part where
Spoiler for :

what are the new chapters about?
lexlexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 19:27   Link #36
sasuke706

^^I never said anything about Mia not progressing. I actually said the dungeon probably is in her skill range.
I was saying, however, her growth rate and skill are probably leagues above her presumable new peers, isolating her in a way like it did with Erin and Forse.
Like she also went through several parties with Note where she may have thought that the other members felt the same way about her as Note was.
I just thought her deciding to go to the dungeon was unlikely seeing as all the rumors she heard of it were supposed to very hard—the same level of intel as Note had. Well, she could always run to the dungeon out of depression like Erin or Note.

Arts are supposed to require significant effort to learn so I'm not sure if she ever bothered to learn any / found anyone to teach her any, but she probably has gained experience with her bow and played with the magic a lot.
Like Erin stopped putting much effort in after gaining her skills, and then eventually ran away from her all her problems, stunting her growth. Forse...does he even know any Arts? Or does he just literally rely on his skill and guts?
The thing about Mia is Note even remarked about the Arrivers lacking greatly in the ranged area, literally relying only on Erin for it, raising more flags for it.
I'm personally looking forward to some awkward, gut-wrenching ex-girlfriend vibes with her in the future.

^^^Forse trained as a sword school, yeah, but the day he got his skills he was able to effortlessly beat his 'invincible' instructor, sending him into a sort of depression over it.
He may have learned some Arts or something during that time but I don't think it ever has mentioned him having done so.
So aside from the physical awareness to stay fit, it's kind of hard to consider the training itself to have much meaning.
But yeah, he did use his swords in actual combat a lot after that so he has some unique experiences, I'm sure.

On the romantic front, Neme did say that someone who treats her like the adult lady she is (lol) would be her type, which so far only fits Note who doesn't actually treat her as one in his head. Not that she seems to have formed the connection herself, thus no romance.
Not that I'm expecting much out of her on the romance front. She's at best a kind mentally anyway.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-20, 20:08   Link #37
Darius Drake

Quote:
^^I never said anything about Mia not progressing. I actually said the dungeon probably is in her skill range.
I was saying, however, her growth rate and skill are probably leagues above her presumable new peers, isolating her in a way like it did with Erin and Forse.
Like she also went through several parties with Note where she may have thought that the other members felt the same way about her as Note was.
I just thought her deciding to go to the dungeon was unlikely seeing as all the rumors she heard of it were supposed to very hard—the same level of intel as Note had. Well, she could always run to the dungeon out of depression like Erin or Note.

Arts are supposed to require significant effort to learn so I'm not sure if she ever bothered to learn any / found anyone to teach her any, but she probably has gained experience with her bow and played with the magic a lot.
Like Erin stopped putting much effort in after gaining her skills, and then eventually ran away from her all her problems, stunting her growth. Forse...does he even know any Arts? Or does he just literally rely on his skill and guts?
The thing about Mia is Note even remarked about the Arrivers lacking greatly in the ranged area, literally relying only on Erin for it, raising more flags for it.
I'm personally looking forward to some awkward, gut-wrenching ex-girlfriend vibes with her in the future.
There's an implication in what you said and Ratsy has outright suggested that Mia will be weaker than Note upon their next meeting. I feel like this is due, primarily, to Note's Protagonist Status and subsequent fast growth rate upon being properly trained. Additionally, since we know nothing about Mia's power beyond her Skills, she seems to be treated as if she's almost certainly someone significantly weaker than Erin, despite being the same age, having a skill set as good, if not notably better, and us never actually seeing her fight.

Quote:
^^^Forse trained as a sword school, yeah, but the day he got his skills he was able to effortlessly beat his 'invincible' instructor, sending him into a sort of depression over it.
He may have learned some Arts or something during that time but I don't think it ever has mentioned him having done so.
So aside from the physical awareness to stay fit, it's kind of hard to consider the training itself to have much meaning.
But yeah, he did use his swords in actual combat a lot after that so he has some unique experiences, I'm sure.
Actually, I suspect that this is partially due to the Author failing on the writing front, as he did in explaining classes beyond "they exist". Remember, this is in first person view, and if Note doesn't notice it, it's unlikely to come up in the story. It MIGHT come up in the case of an allies first-person view, but those don't seem to be on the basics of the fight very often.

Additionally, we don't really know much about non-thief/assassin skills. Thief/Assassin Skills are mostly passive, with a small number of active ability skills. Does the Swordsman class have a skill that increases the damage made by the sword? Does the Paladin class have a skill that makes armor & weapons more durable? Does the Mage class have a skill that amplifies the power of their spells? What's the difference between using these skills and not doing so? These are all questions we will likely NEVER get an answer to.
Old 2018-05-21, 01:07   Link #38
Garn

Jin's design reminds me of characters who carry a dark past and who die for some related event, or who simply retires for any reason but remains a support for the protagonist. On the other hand the design of the swordsman does not match his extremely childish attitude although with the relaxed and carefree attitude yes.
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-05-22, 03:26   Link #39
Rinvelt
駄目人間

Oh, didn't expect that. Let's see where this is going.
Old 2018-05-22, 04:20   Link #40
Rasty

^ Nice, actually I was thinking the whole time why the hell did he not call someone, considering how support specialised he is and how it was clear that he can't really "win" (has no serious way to attack) I guess I was wrong and he planned for this.

Also the html formatting is absolutely messing up the mobile app I am using to read this.

Tags
dungeon, fantasy, growth, harem