AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-06-18, 01:04   Link #3881
durack

Last episode was kinda meh for me. If you are going to borrow from Childhood's End, borrow properly and do not make the Overmind into a cartoon villain.
durack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 01:35   Link #3882
wissenschaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by durack View Post
Last episode was kinda meh for me. If you are going to borrow from Childhood's End, borrow properly and do not make the Overmind into a cartoon villain.
This is assuming the writers even know the novel.
Old 2018-06-18, 02:28   Link #3883
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer91 View Post
DITF mostly show the POV of the children and not on viewers , with the theme of bird in the cage the information is limited with Papa being everything and they don't suspect Papa is enemy of Earth although through act 1 they started to doubt Papa and the adult
You're missing the point of the criticism. Yes, the children are in a cage, metaphorically speaking, and yes, we have to mostly witness the story from their perspective, so we won't exactly know everything.

But this doesn't mean the story had no opportunities to show us rather than tell us. Info dump episodes aren't automatically bad, but here they needed to spend three entire episodes to explain the VIRM, how humanity got to this point, Dr. Frank's entire character development, Magma energy, the entire history of the Klaxosaurs, what the Star Driver is, why Zero Two was important, who the Nines actually were, etc.

It's insane how much the show is asking its audience to believe in such a short stretch of time. Was there really nowhere else to fit this stuff? I find that really hard to believe.

Let me put it this way: I would have been FAR less critical of the show had, one, the kids had more agency in their development, and two, had the writers done their damn job and sprinkled better breadcrumbs rather than relying on last minute revelations to explain everything. Episode 21 works (mostly) because we now have three straight episodes of explanations and the characters are finally being agents instead of observers. They have stakes, and the story has made it clear that failure has dire consequences. The show isn't driving you to despair but it is making clear that when things are over, things will be different.

This is what the show should have been from the start. There is absolutely no point to character driven episodes if they don't ultimately impact the overarching narrative being told. There is no point to an overarching narrative if the world and characters you have built do not feel real or believable.
Old 2018-06-18, 02:54   Link #3884
shadow1296

I miss the days Mecha anime had 50 episodes from the beginning to explore their plot and world building, instead of these 24 episode ones where they methodically build everything up but screw it up at the end because they forgot to budget for time and so they just info dump and info dump in the last few episodes.
Old 2018-06-18, 02:55   Link #3885
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer91 View Post
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
man really thanks that much really sumarise what i could and really the reason i don't see any problem, so far the problem is which this series is really one where you really must pay attention to details, that is the big point, it's not just "dumb easy free info" like most series where they give really huge and impossible to miss hints about what happening like Found a lost space ship and bla bla bla, just the fact which APE was aways at the "space" while most of the humans where on earth already a big hint about them, when you start to go back and watch all episodes and pay attention to details a lot of thing start to really make sense and come together.
Old 2018-06-18, 03:32   Link #3886
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
man really thanks that much really sumarise what i could and really the reason i don't see any problem, so far the problem is which this series is really one where you really must pay attention to details, that is the big point, it's not just "dumb easy free info" like most series where they give really huge and impossible to miss hints about what happening like Found a lost space ship and bla bla bla, just the fact which APE was aways at the "space" while most of the humans where on earth already a big hint about them, when you start to go back and watch all episodes and pay attention to details a lot of thing start to really make sense and come together.
A counter to that video:

YouTube

And when people criticized him for it:

YouTube

His review for episode 21 mirrors my own as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1296 View Post
I miss the days Mecha anime had 50 episodes from the beginning to explore their plot and world building, instead of these 24 episode ones where they methodically build everything up but screw it up at the end because they forgot to budget for time and so they just info dump and info dump in the last few episodes.
Nah, this is a common problem with anime. It's just harder to notice these days because longer running shows like this are far more likely to be broken up into 12-13 episode cours with season gaps in between. Or just given a cour and forgotten because it turns out the money/interest isn't there to keep making more of it.
Old 2018-06-18, 03:38   Link #3887
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
A counter to that video:

YouTube

And when people criticized him for it:

YouTube

His review for episode 21 mirrors my own as well.

Nah, this is a common problem with anime. It's just harder to notice these days because longer running shows like this are far more likely to be broken up into 12-13 episode cours with season gaps in between. Or just given a cour and forgotten because it turns out the money/interest isn't there to keep making more of it.
i already saw both videos before and put some counter argument against they "counter" and they really could not keep arguing when i talked, it's really show which is just "rant" at last for me..., specially the "second one" which need another video due to his argument being "soo poor", and still being poor in the end.

they just where angry because things don't goes as they wanted.
Old 2018-06-18, 03:39   Link #3888
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Ui, btw, why are the Nines sitting at the front (Pistil Seat)

They are males, right?

Should be sitting behind, right?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 03:53   Link #3889
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Ui, btw, why are the Nines sitting at the front (Pistil Seat)

They are males, right?

Should be sitting behind, right?
well they are 02 clones, this means which they could fit in both roles.
Old 2018-06-18, 04:02   Link #3890
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Clones should still have gender

Isn't the Frankxx all about male x female pairing?
Old 2018-06-18, 04:06   Link #3891
Blueknight78

Quote:
^Clones should still have gender

Isn't the Frankxx all about male x female pairing?
the original was the princess which could "ride alone" stereliza" as we saw and the big apath, them she also explain why zero two is able to control a franxx in berserker mode, then since they are her modified clones then it can allow them to pilot "different" if it is not enough still have the theory about them being "hhermaphrodites"(having both genders). or true "trap, reverse trap".
Old 2018-06-18, 04:16   Link #3892
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Or they are actually girls
Old 2018-06-18, 04:19   Link #3893
Blueknight78

Quote:
i feel more like they are both , you just have to choose if you want to be the "passive or ative and let they do the other
Old 2018-06-18, 04:29   Link #3894
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
The Nines don't seem to be too invested in the idea of gender. Frankly it's confusing only because it was originally said that what makes the Franxx run is reproductive capabilities, not lust. Otherwise you could justify it by seeing the Nines as specially trained to compel themselves to feel sexual attraction or excitement with whoever they're piloting at the moment, and whatever their role is. They'd just be able to switch it on and off at will, unlike the Squad 13 parasites who need to have compatibility with each other that relies not in a small part on their actual feelings.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 05:41   Link #3895
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
i already saw both videos before and put some counter argument against they "counter" and they really could not keep arguing when i talked, it's really show which is just "rant" at last for me..., specially the "second one" which need another video due to his argument being "soo poor", and still being poor in the end.

they just where angry because things don't goes as they wanted.
No offense but that English is so poor that I have no idea what you are talking about. All I'm getting is that I'm wasting my time because you'll just dismiss anything you don't agree with. So...kudos. You got your wish.
Old 2018-06-18, 06:34   Link #3896
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by wissenschaft View Post
Spoiler for More memes:

@Cosmic Eagle

Hmm, your post makes me wonder if the kids are even aware what happened to the adults. Doesn't seem like it when the 9s seem to still be expecting orders from Papa. There are a bunch of loose ends that need tying up but we still have 3 episodes left.

I'm not sure what the point of the 9s was in the series. They were set up like there would be a big confrontation between them and squad 13 but if nothing comes of it then that would be quite a waste.
Exactly what I meant. The 9s may be...not very developed plot-wise since they are essentially brain-washed clones but that doesn't mean they should be discarded like fodder without any impact at all. Waste of characters IMO. We do have 3 eps left true. It'll be a major squeeze to tie up everything in 3 though

Anyway, there were a whole bunch of lights flying out the Plantations. And surely some of the higher command in charge of the various squads would notice why all the links to the Plantations just went dead/ all the people just collapsed etc. It did look like the majority of humans are consumed in one go from that scene (If there were even many left to begin with). The kids wouldn't know but surely the other humans would?

Quote:
why not??
virm background was explained you liking or not.

nines background explainned.

basically we get explannations for almost all you want, if that explannation not was "enough for you fine" but they do give it.

all your points where just as you told "your opnion" not major info for the anime, major info where about about klaxs, the parasites, humans, zero two, hiro and ape anything else is just "infodumb, for peoples wanting "more" not really "something which you can miss.

excluding the old lady part, all you are "asking i already feel answered and not really something needed on the plot that is how opnions work and the big problem of the world, because in the end "my only opnion(and maybe peoples which share exactly the same opnion) matters(it's for everyone).
Let's try this again.... I am not talking about their background but their role in the story. Lose ends do not refer only to background trivia. You can replace VIRM with whatever else you want and all that was shown of them essentially sums up to deus ex machina thrown in to advance the plot. That's not any development at all. Look at the alternatives. They could have the dino people and humans fight and further expanded on the theme of one's own nature and giving it up or coming to terms with it etc. Instead the VIRM's appearance short-circuited that plot. Obviously since they are literally an unknown who function only as a plot device. Also, I don't know how you can qualify character related points like how 01 and humans will face each other from this point on or having Franxx get a more fitting end as "infodump"

And again, to you....those things are not important. To me they are since it completes the story and does not waste characters. If that's not a difference in opinion then what is it? You tell me and then tell me whether there's any point to actually arguing over this since it's subjective. And as I recall, you are the one who took issue with my subjective opinions first

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2018-06-18 at 06:55.
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 07:33   Link #3897
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Man....at this point, I'm too deep in the seat to get off the ride. I'm no fan of VIRM's surprise reveal, but Strelizia Apath is pretty sick. I hope Zero Two isn't dead.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 07:54   Link #3898
KPSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jal90 View Post
The creative process behind this show is so

I've grown to like this trainwreck though. The episode this week was a blockbuster epic making up for its weak narration and inconsistent pacing with its energy and grand-scale perspective. It ended up fine, if problematic in so many ways and aspects. The usual for this series I guess, that's why I keep watching it.
Franxx is not a trainwreck IMO, it just will never live up to the hype it was given but we also have 3 more episodes and the last 3 can maybe make me consider it a trainwreck, now a trainwreck is "Virgin souls"
KPSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-18, 11:26   Link #3899
Jaden

I think the backstory is fine, not exactly subtle but it has internal consistency. It's not like the writers planned something completely different, then ran out of ideas/time and decided to retcon everything.

My one gripe is how Dr.Franxx had all these machinations that went beyond what either the aliens or klaxxos could do, despite them being much more advanced than humanity. OK, maybe the klaxxos got such PTSD from the sacrifices they had to make during the first war that they went feral. What about VIRM though? Some millions of years flying around the galaxy absorbing planets...and somewhere along the way they forgot how to do science?
Old 2018-06-18, 11:30   Link #3900
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
No offense but that English is so poor that I have no idea what you are talking about. All I'm getting is that I'm wasting my time because you'll just dismiss anything you don't agree with. So...kudos. You got your wish.
The more later night the worst become my thoughts and worsse become my english but here again:

I had already seen these videos before and both arguments are weak and I had already discussed with them about their arguments and they are really weak, especially the second that had arguments so weak that made a video to try to defend themselves because they had already been refuted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Exactly what I meant. The 9s may be...not very developed plot-wise since they are essentially brain-washed clones but that doesn't mean they should be discarded like fodder without any impact at all. Waste of characters IMO. We do have 3 eps left true. It'll be a major squeeze to tie up everything in 3 though

Anyway, there were a whole bunch of lights flying out the Plantations. And surely some of the higher command in charge of the various squads would notice why all the links to the Plantations just went dead/ all the people just collapsed etc. It did look like the majority of humans are consumed in one go from that scene (If there were even many left to begin with). The kids wouldn't know but surely the other humans would?

Let's try this again.... I am not talking about their background but their role in the story. Lose ends do not refer only to background trivia. You can replace VIRM with whatever else you want and all that was shown of them essentially sums up to deus ex machina thrown in to advance the plot. That's not any development at all. Look at the alternatives. They could have the dino people and humans fight and further expanded on the theme of one's own nature and giving it up or coming to terms with it etc. Instead the VIRM's appearance short-circuited that plot. Obviously since they are literally an unknown who function only as a plot device. Also, I don't know how you can qualify character related points like how 01 and humans will face each other from this point on or having Franxx get a more fitting end as "infodump"

And again, to you....those things are not important. To me they are since it completes the story and does not waste characters. If that's not a difference in opinion then what is it? You tell me and then tell me whether there's any point to actually arguing over this since it's subjective. And as I recall, you are the one who took issue with my subjective opinions first
now while it make much more sense your question and maybe some diserves answers, still what i wanted to means was which they still not "the main plot points" of the anime which where supposed to be answered, they are in general still things which you personally want to see, the main question of the serie where answered that is the point anything else from this point or will be "ignored" or maybe get a little info or even being answered, while i can understand your desire of more info and "more deep" make the plot more complex and bla bla bla and how they failed to bring it to you, this does not yet mean that they did not deliver the key answers, the main questions about who are who and what is happening here where answered which is the point now "more deep world" is another story.

and as you told we still have 3 episodes left anything can happen from there so far, if in 3 episodes they where able to cover most of the questions then they can still give
But what was considered important to be answered was answered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I think the backstory is fine, not exactly subtle but it has internal consistency. It's not like the writers planned something completely different, then ran out of ideas/time and decided to retcon everything.

My one gripe is how Dr.Franxx had all these machinations that went beyond what either the aliens or klaxxos could do, despite them being much more advanced than humanity. OK, maybe the klaxxos got such PTSD from the sacrifices they had to make during the first war that they went feral. What about VIRM though? Some millions of years flying around the galaxy absorbing planets...and somewhere along the way they forgot how to do science?
Remember VIRM where "energy" they don't have a physical body then is really nearly impossible for them create franxx or klaxsaurs.

Another point just because they where absorbing lifes around the universe don't means which they automatically know the klaxs technology, it's just a different tech for them, which they still need to learn how to use and create, i'm pretty sure if a alien come to earth for the first time no matter how advanced his tech is he gonna still don't know what are "ours tech", exactly because of "differences", unless you have or had in the space another civilization that has or had the same technology of the earth.