AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2018-10-08, 17:46   Link #601
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

In terms of raw power, there's no doubt Benio will be the strongest impurity and would be second only to the Impurity King. However, power =/= skill and technique. Sure, her training as an exorcist should contribute greatly to her approach to and style of fighting, but it doesn't automatically assure that she'll understand or instinctively know how to effectively use her newly acquired powers. Despite being more powerful than all of the Basara, realistically speaking, she should have her hands full with the top 3 at least.

Yuuto does possess both the powers of yin/yang and in theory is basically the closest thing to the miko right now, but his powers should pale in comparison to the miko's and Rokuro/Benio's when they're in resonance. Besides, Rokuro's untrained sol form was enough to match and overpower Yuuto back during that first clash. It goes without saying that he's more powerful now, but a trained Rokuro consciously using his sol form should still be able to match and possibly defeat Yuuto. That'll paint a nice picture of why an imitation could never overcome the real thing. Worse yet if Rokuro's sol is working in tandem with Benio's luna. Yuuto would have a snowball's chance in hell at that point.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
MK-95- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 20:05   Link #602
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-95- View Post
In terms of raw power, there's no doubt Benio will be the strongest impurity and would be second only to the Impurity King. However, power =/= skill and technique.
All that mental gymnastic doesn't change the fact the author always makes her job. That's a disappointment no matter how you explain it.
Old 2018-10-08, 20:41   Link #603
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
In terms of raw power, there's no doubt Benio will be the strongest impurity and would be second only to the Impurity King. However, power =/= skill and technique. Sure, her training as an exorcist should contribute greatly to her approach to and style of fighting, but it doesn't automatically assure that she'll understand or instinctively know how to effectively use her newly acquired powers. Despite being more powerful than all of the Basara, realistically speaking, she should have her hands full with the top 3 at least.
Yeah, that’s way overthinking it. They always talk about practice and training in Shōnen/Seinen, but in the end if the author wants her awakening to finally give her the winning boost, it will. And if the author still wants to job her, that’ll happen too.

But the author definitely needs to stop jobbing Benio. (that should’ve ended long ago) This is her true awakening of her true powers, compared to which her exorcist powers were a mere fraction. If Benio still gets jobbed after this.........well, that would be some pretty stupid and pointless writing.
Old 2018-10-08, 21:52   Link #604
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
All that mental gymnastic doesn't change the fact the author always makes her job. That's a disappointment no matter how you explain it.
It is what it is. I'm just making it clear that even tho she's undoubtedly more powerful than all of the Basara, she'll still most likely end up jobbing to maybe the top 3 or Yuuto. At least there's a convenient excuse that makes it easier to swallow.

We're in the same boat regarding Benio right now. My expectations are a bit low when it comes to her fighting in the foreseeable future. The power and capability is there, but there hasn't been any time dedicated to developing it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Yeah, that’s way overthinking it. They always talk about practice and training in Shōnen/Seinen, but in the end if the author wants her awakening to finally give her the winning boost, it will. And if the author still wants to job her, that’ll happen too.

But the author definitely needs to stop jobbing Benio. (that should’ve ended long ago) This is her true awakening of her true powers, compared to which her exorcist powers were a mere fraction. If Benio still gets jobbed after this.........well, that would be some pretty stupid and pointless writing.
Training actually does pay off... in this series at least. It may not mean much in other series, but the few instances where characters are shown training in Sousei no Omyouji, have benefited said characters following that.

-Roku/Beni practicing Resonance before the fight with Yuuto.
-Roku training to use enchanted multi equip.
-Roku learning shikigami creation and shikigami equip.
-Mayura's various training sessions with Shimon and Mitejima.

Benio has literally just awakened. She doesn't have time to experiment with these powers and is assumed to be thrust into a situation where she'll be fighting against Basara and/or Yuuto all within a short span of time. Her jobbing may seem ridiculous and is to a degree, but it's still within the realm of possibility and believable.

That said, this is shounen. We all know how the pattern goes: protags get thrashed around a bit, get mid-battle powerup, turns the situation around and fucks the antagonist's shit up. So expect both Roku and Beni to start off strong, get smacked for bit and then get the win in the end anyway.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2018-10-08, 22:02   Link #605
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I'm sure Rokuro and Benio need to re-practice their resonance once again because their powers are totally different right now

According to Luna's memories, Luna always survived and get executed while Sol always die in battlefield so it's safe to say that Luna is stronger than Sol
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-08, 22:05   Link #606
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It is what it is. I'm just making it clear that even tho she's undoubtedly more powerful than all of the Basara, she'll still most likely end up jobbing to maybe the top 3 or Yuuto. At least there's a convenient excuse that makes it easier to swallow.
Except it doesn't make it easier to swallow because Benio has always being the resident punching bag of the show. There's a reason Yuuto called her useless garbage and she still hasn't proved him wrong.

Quote:
We're in the same boat regarding Benio right now. My expectations are a bit low when it comes to her fighting in the foreseeable future. The power and capability is there, but there hasn't been any time dedicated to developing it yet.
We're not on the same boat because I believe the reason she always job is the mangaka being a hack and not letting her kick ass for once. It's not the she doesn't have time to develop her powers or whatever. Heck, when Rokuro first awakened his sol power he kicked Yuuto's ass easily. He didn't need no practice. If the author wanted to, Benio would kick ass too. That's all there is to it.
Old 2018-10-08, 22:49   Link #607
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^Ehhh. Can't argue with that. Fair point.

Alright, we're not in the same boat regarding our respective reasoning, but we both have lowered expectations for Benio in the next fight either way.
Old 2018-10-10, 15:45   Link #608
DragonOsman
Dragon King

@Yami: Yeah, going off of that at least, Luna should be stronger than Sol. But even then, the mangaka could still make Benio job. Let's just wait and see. But yeah, they're probably going to have to re-train their resonance like you said.

About the training and all: yes, Rokuro when he first used his Sol power against Yuuto did kick his ass easily. If the author wants to, he can have Benio kick ass on her first or second use too (she already has a one-fight experience with it, remember?). There's still the chance that she'll job against Yuuto, but she did relatively well the first time she used that power if it weren't for the attack that drowned her, Kamui and Chinu (or at least seemed to drown them in that chapter).
Old 2018-10-11, 00:38   Link #609
u2L2rQ

After I finish re-reading Sousei no Onmyouji, there are several clues I found the reason why the previous Lunas before Benio didn’t or couldn’t meet the Sol. Because there is one and only Sol exist in the story and that is Roruko.

Spoiler for ch.16:

Spoiler for ch.36:

Spoiler for ch.54:
u2L2rQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 07:28   Link #610
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Now that you mention it, it's likely that this is the case. Rokuro being Abe no Seimei's own son will make sense this way too. After all, it'll mean he's a 1,000 year-old man with a younger body and amnesia, rather than just a descendent of Abe no Seimei who calls her his mother for some reason.
Old 2018-10-11, 09:59   Link #611
zerodragon

wow u2L2rQ, after reading your post, that mostly likely what has happen, it makes complete sense
Old 2018-10-11, 11:07   Link #612
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for anime stuff:
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 11:25   Link #613
zezegui222
A simple man

I still don't understand why you guys use 'Sol' and 'Luna' in the english translation... it's just... if you are going to use the words 'sun' and 'moon' in another language different than english, why not just let them as 'Taiyin' and 'Taiyang', sorry to say something like this but it's pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Now... about your post... that's possible... it made me think in Nanatsu no Taizai...
zezegui222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 11:42   Link #614
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Eh, I didn't know that it's "sun" and "moon". Maybe I just forgot (if it's mentioned in the manga somewhere). But we call them that because the manga calls them that.

Anyway, it's possible that some of the previous Lunas did meet Sol, but they couldn't be happy. And if Rokuro has been alive for a thousand years, then he's really been Sol the whole entire time.
Old 2018-10-11, 11:48   Link #615
zezegui222
A simple man

^I know, and that's why I did my comment above. This just don't make sense, 'taiyin' and 'taiyang' mean 'moon' and 'sun', why just not use the words in chinese if you're going to translate to something that isn't english
Old 2018-10-11, 11:52   Link #616
RDNexus

Maybe it sounds more exotic like that?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-11, 12:21   Link #617
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by zezegui222 View Post
^I know, and that's why I did my comment above. This just don't make sense, 'taiyin' and 'taiyang' mean 'moon' and 'sun', why just not use the words in chinese if you're going to translate to something that isn't english
Why would you use the Chinese words instead? The manga is japanese.
Old 2018-10-11, 12:33   Link #618
zezegui222
A simple man

^ Because yin yang it's a chinese philosophy.
To tell the truth, they should the japanese term, but everyone knows this as yin and yang. If I remember correctly, in the portuguese translation was stated how the manga uses the japanese terms, but as no one knows them, they decided to use the original chinese terms, wich are know in the entire world.

No matter how you see it, it don't make sense. If you are not going to use the english word, why not use the original chinese term ou the japanese translated term? And if you are going to translate it, why to another language?

Well... to tell the truth this is a useless discussion, but it was something that bothered me
Old 2018-10-11, 15:04   Link #619
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

^That's some next-level nitpicking my dude. Does it really matter that we call them sol and luna at this point?

Anyway, the theory about there being only one sol is plausible, but that creates some holes in the story.

It isn't to say that Rokuro doesn't age or is immortal. As we can see, he's aging normally. Therefore, he'll still need to die for the twin star cycle to restart in the event that the respective luna of that generation dies before him or vice versa.

So hypothetically speaking, even if he's the only sol, I'd go a step further and say that there's reincarnation involved to some extent. If a sol dies, he'll be reincarnated and then return during another twin star cycle. But this also raises another question: if there's only one sol, then why aren't there any records of previous sols who look like or at least resemble Rokuro? It just isn't adding up.
Old 2018-10-11, 15:58   Link #620
DragonOsman
Dragon King

But he still called Abe no Seimei his mom, and we know she hasn't been seen for a thousand years. He's either her own son, or was her son in his first life and has reincarnated a number of times since then. Benio also felt like the Lunas were all her own past lives. Their memories felt like her own to her, apparently. So there's reincarnation involved here, probably.

Tags
exorcist, harem, onmyoudo, shounen