Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-14, 00:34   Link #621
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Like I said, they are screwed. One can even theorize that this is a ploy by the demon lord to slowly kill humanity from the inside.

Suddenly I am imagining a post-apocalyptic-medieval world where humanity was on the brink of destruction, living scattered in the edges and the first narration sentence was "We made a mistake".
The goblin threat looks like a legit threat maybe because we are watching from GS POV.

Who knows, maybe every casualty caused by goblin were multiplied by 10 at other side but we don't know because we are not following Dragonslayer POV or something.

Car accident could be a scary experience when you are looking at the side with your own eyes but it is just another news of the day when you read it from the online newspaper.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 00:38   Link #622
Applehell

That was pretty decent episode. It didn't really address all of my issues from last week (the priestess) in fact it glossed over it by moving the story a month forward and the context of this episode makes thing all the more worse that regard. So why she stays by him remains all the more mysterious when she has options and probably be better off with normal more prepared party which there several of. At least if the Cow girl was in her position it make more sense to because she is a longtime friend or at least still considers GS as such. So there is sentimental value and weight there that surpass the material ones.

Speaking about cow girl, unfortunately there is all much to say about her than childhood friend. Despite this being her POV it was really more about her relation to GS than herself. His stilled way of conversing doesn't do much tell much lend insight about him either. Ultimately, she seems there show that there someone looking out of him.

GS's past, which I was surprised we got into this early, was far more effective at selling the goblins cruelty than first episode's focus on sexual violence on woman did. It's still there even in this episode but the scene with his sister was directed and presented without it needing to be in your face for shock value. Had the first episode been like that wouldn't nearly been as controversial.

Anyway, if the minstrel's story is true then I guess we have our newest party member and GS has faced much stronger variety of Goblin in the past. On his own no less which makes one wonder if he really needs the Priestess at all. He's like he having her tag along for her sake rather than his.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 02:09   Link #623
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The way I see it, Priestess is just another tool in GS's eyes, for him to use in order to kill goblins more efficiently. I could be wrong, but he's practical to a fault (except when he eats soup through his visor).

Hmm, ep2: didn't need the Cow girl fanservice, all it does it justify her name :P Lots of shout outs to known adventurers in the guild, and a rough estimate of GS' monthly income - he takes ~3 days per quest, I'll add a couple for downtime (rest & preparations), so 5 days to go from one contract to another; 60gp at bare minimum. His expenses should be negligible, since his armor is shit, his arsenal is basic AF and he eats/sleeps at Uncle's, but since Uncle himself admits he gets paid a heavy rent, I assume he splits 30gp, the price of a modest lifestyle, for staying there.

Someone asked why GS ignored the village request that a newbie party decided on and went to the old fort instead. My guess would be, that's where the most goblins were gathered. His mental state is ever the mystery, and his stoic nature only helps to further conceal it.

Epilogue: an elf, a dwarf and a lizardman walk into a bar hear tales of this Orcbolg. Smells like another request, maybe a party?

On GS' level total: I'd say LV1 ranger, LV4+ fighter (battle master), LV2 rogue. He has no magic, so I wouldn't place him as a monster slayer (the irony xD). Sounds appropriate for a silver rank though.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 02:46   Link #624
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
That was pretty decent episode. It didn't really address all of my issues from last week (the priestess) in fact it glossed over it by moving the story a month forward and the context of this episode makes thing all the more worse that regard. So why she stays by him remains all the more mysterious when she has options and probably be better off with normal more prepared party which there several of. At least if the Cow girl was in her position it make more sense to because she is a longtime friend or at least still considers GS as such. So there is sentimental value and weight there that surpass the material ones.
What do you mean? If she were to leave for another party, it would be a party of Porcelain adventurers. Not as bad as the total rookies she accompanied before, but still not Goblin Slayer.

Quote:
Speaking about cow girl, unfortunately there is all much to say about her than childhood friend. Despite this being her POV it was really more about her relation to GS than herself. His stilled way of conversing doesn't do much tell much lend insight about him either. Ultimately, she seems there show that there someone looking out of him.

GS's past, which I was surprised we got into this early, was far more effective at selling the goblins cruelty than first episode's focus on sexual violence on woman did. It's still there even in this episode but the scene with his sister was directed and presented without it needing to be in your face for shock value. Had the first episode been like that wouldn't nearly been as controversial.

Anyway, if the minstrel's story is true then I guess we have our newest party member and GS has faced much stronger variety of Goblin in the past. On his own no less which makes one wonder if he really needs the Priestess at all. He's like he having her tag along for her sake rather than his.
Eh, he said he was doing more quests these days. I guess having her around gives him more options, makes him even more efficient.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 02:46   Link #625
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
I have trouble grasping what you are trying to say. But I guess you are implying that you think my original second point is true: that the government are fully aware about the actual extent of the threat but still think all those losses are negligible?
Maybe the losses are negligible?

Think about it this way.

When Guild Girl was handing out the quests there were probably a dozen adventurer parties in the room. There were three goblin quests, one was taken. Goblins quests are cheap and are considered too easy so that means there were at least 10 other more profitable and probably more dangerous quests available for the other adventures to take.

Spearman told Guild Girl he killed some trolls right? What do you think those trolls would have done if nobody killed them? Pick flowers?

Quote:
Goblin Slayer saved her from a fate worse than death. She decided to join him while he saves people in similar circumstances.

It's an incredibly common thing to happen in stories. There is nothing mysterious about it.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 02:48   Link #626
The Green One

I imagine that Priestess also wants to repay GS for saving her life.
Old 2018-10-14, 02:58   Link #627
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What do you mean? If she were to leave for another party, it would be a party of Porcelain adventurers. Not as bad as the total rookies she accompanied before, but still not Goblin Slayer.
And what makes GS so special? Does she have a savior complex towards him? Well help her get rich quick or does she see him as someone she wants to help? I want the story tell me how she feels about in her own words or thoughts. No matter how rational or irrational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Goblin Slayer saved her from a fate worse than death. She decided to join him while he saves people in similar circumstances.

It's an incredibly common thing to happen in stories. There is nothing mysterious about it.
I've already went over this. The story needs to tell us this itself as this is core motivation that decided very nature of their relationship at all. It doesn't matter how common it is, the Priestess an individual with her own life, she is just not everybody anymore than GS is. Heck the Elf archer that appeared at end of this episode has a more clear cut reason for seeking GS if he and she are figures in the minstrel's story and we don't even know the full details of it yet.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 02:59   Link #628
Keila

I'm quite happy to just imagine Priestess 'imprinting' like a baby chick (with GS being the mother hen). I mean, the reason she decided to become an adventurer anyway was because she finally became an 'adult' but from another perspective shes a new born baby.

That and GS has at least proven that he has at least some idea about what he is doing (even though it may be a little extreme, such as burning everything to ash).
Old 2018-10-14, 03:11   Link #629
Random14

I think Priestess is also just worried about Goblin Slayer. She feels indebted to him, of course, and values his word a lot (since she went out and bought armor). However, she can tell Goblin Slayer has issues. Well, anyone talking to him for a few hours would notice.

She could go off and do her own thing (join another party, go back to the temple), but then she'd worry about Goblin Slayer going off and attacking goblin nests all by himself. He's been doing it for a long time before he met Priestess, but still, she doesn't want to leave him alone, not when she can do something, even a little bit, to help him. We saw that in this episode with her insisting on following him, no matter how many gross or "imaginative" techniques he uses. And she personally knows that dealing with goblins does help society a lot. So probably for all those reasons (and a few more) she stays in a party with him.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 03:15   Link #630
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Maybe the losses are negligible?

Think about it this way.

When Guild Girl was handing out the quests there were probably a dozen adventurer parties in the room. There were three goblin quests, one was taken. Goblins quests are cheap and are considered too easy so that means there were at least 10 other more profitable and probably more dangerous quests available for the other adventures to take.
The existence of a greater threat does not eliminate the danger of lesser threats. When there's war, looters and bandits roaming about is expected, but the damage they do is never "negligible" and was never considered a "non-problem". I admit I didn't think of the "they had no choice" option until @Sixth mentioned it, and I can accept that that's what's happening if the government actually are aware of the growing threat. Though I'm still leaning on the option that the government isn't fully aware yet, because at least that means they are not completely screwed yet.

Quote:
Spearman told Guild Girl he killed some trolls right? What do you think those trolls would have done if nobody killed them? Pick flowers?
Please lay off the condescending attitude. Is what I say really seems that outrageous to you to warrant this? I believe I have been pretty reasonable so far and civil in my conduct...most of the time.
Old 2018-10-14, 03:16   Link #631
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

I've already went over this. The story needs to tell us this itself as this is core motivation that decided very nature of their relationship at all. It doesn't matter how common it is, the Priestess an individual with her own life, she is just not everybody anymore than GS is. Heck the Elf archer that appeared at end of this episode has a more clear cut reason for seeking GS if he and she are figures in the minstrel's story and we don't even know the full details of it yet.
Oh, and in the manga, the Archer immediately remarked on an inconsistency: the Bard told her where to find GS, even though he sang about how GS wandered all the time. (In fact, he has no magic sword and has lived in the same place for five years.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Does the LN or manga explain GS' reasoning for choosing that quest over the others? Him refusing to help the rookies made me think the Priestess got really lucky there wasn't a more pressing/dangerous quest for him to do back then, but maybe he had somehow ascertained they'd be able to handle the job? He did comment that their party was balanced.
In the manga, he actually picked two. He seemed to prioritize the established nest (the old Elven fortress we saw him burn down), and took another (the old man's) because it was on the way. As for the third one, nobody had taken it yet, so there was no pleading from Priestess.
Old 2018-10-14, 03:37   Link #632
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Like I said, they are screwed. One can even theorize that this is a ploy by the demon lord to slowly kill humanity from the inside.

Suddenly I am imagining a post-apocalyptic-medieval world where humanity was on the brink of destruction, living scattered in the edges and the first narration sentence was "We made a mistake".
No because Goblin Slayer is there to kill the goblins. That's why his exploits have inspired ballads by bards and reached other towns. Goblin Slayer is already well known for his help in the smaller villages because he goes there to kill goblins regardless of the size of the reward.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 03:38   Link #633
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Oh, and in the manga, the Archer immediately remarked on an inconsistency: the Bard told her where to find GS, even though he sang about how GS wandered all the time. (In fact, he has no magic sword and has lived in the same place for five years.)

In the manga, he actually picked two. He seemed to prioritize the established nest (the old Elven fortress we saw him burn down), and took another (the old man's) because it was on the way. As for the third one, nobody had taken it yet, so there was no pleading from Priestess.
Yes that other party of three taking on that other quest and coming back alive was a new addition for the anime.

Just goes to show that a roll of the dice can help a more inexperienced group of adventurers survive.

The adventurers in Episode 1 had a bad roll.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 03:48   Link #634
Kafriel
Senior Guest

On the matter of higher guild quests: they obviously matter. Strong creatures can break down walls and raze whole cities overnight, causing immense damage to both population and environment (especially in case of dragons) and demon lords tend to rally armies in order to attack an entire nation, so yes, taking down an enemy general is obviously more important than weeding out goblins.

Still, when everyone jumps on impossibly long quests, the lesser ones are left untended, piling up until somebody cares. It's not a huge problem, only because a certain someone is dedicated to the task, so people see it as dirty work - but somebody's gotta do it.

Quote:
I'm quite happy to just imagine Priestess 'imprinting' like a baby chick
I like to think of her as a party leecher whose eyes just glittered at the sparkling silver tag around GS' neck. Going from a party of noobs to someone who ranks in the third best division is quite the leap.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 04:06   Link #635
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I like to think of her as a party leecher whose eyes just glittered at the sparkling silver tag around GS' neck. Going from a party of noobs to someone who ranks in the third best division is quite the leap.
She cant be a leecher if the show already displayed how she will contribute to the party overall success on the first together hunt they show us.
Old 2018-10-14, 04:07   Link #636
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
This. Who doesn't like being carried (or got power leveled) and at the same time got the piece of reward without doing a lot?

Leaving GS and party with adventurers that most likely having the same rank with her is extremely dangerous and risky. Her first experience of partying with someone that has the same rank with her doesn't go THAT well and nearly traumatized her. So yeah, even if she doesn't have a feeling for him or feel indebted on him, partying with him is still a logical and beneficial move for her.
Old 2018-10-14, 04:34   Link #637
zibi88

Well people sing songs about GS becouse he is not selfish or he is not placing his own well beign over others. Other adventurers are selfish as they look only for the reward and are not there to help other people (for free). GS does the job to kill goblings no matter what is the reward becouse he just wants to help and protect people from the threat of goblins the same save them from the horrors he experienced as a kid.

The small villagers are glad for GS work and they mostly see him as a real hero, one that helps no matter the reward just like what a real hero does, letting their women and children sleep well and enjoy their peacefull lifes.

Yet I would like the past monologue in this episode to be placed in that comedic moment from the manga sadly they skipped that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysterious View Post
She cant be a leecher if the show already displayed how she will contribute to the party overall success on the first together hunt they show us.

GS is the one to tell her what to use and when. Even through he is not a caster knows how to benefit from a skill to do the job. Pristess can just follow commands given by GS and learn from those and adapt in the future. I have no idea what path the animators are following and will they stick to novel/manga or go on some point their own path. If they stick to the novel/manga path then you might understand why people are kinda point out to leeching.

Last edited by zibi88; 2018-10-14 at 04:52.
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 05:03   Link #638
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 2:

This is good. Finally some backstory on GS. That's a very traumatic experience for him. Nice he still has a childhood friend, so he won't go completely crazy.

Amazing, those 3 rookies that went to get rid of the goblins in the village survived. They would probably be great adventurers someday.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-14, 05:04   Link #639
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Even if GS contributes more, she still works hard and she's still useful, so I see no reason to get on her case. Besides, attaching rookies to more experienced adventurers makes so much more sense than grouping them together with no guidance. One leads to more experienced adventurers, the other to total party wipes.
Old 2018-10-14, 05:38   Link #640
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Even if GS contributes more, she still works hard and she's still useful, so I see no reason to get on her case. Besides, attaching rookies to more experienced adventurers makes so much more sense than grouping them together with no guidance. One leads to more experienced adventurers, the other to total party wipes.
I don't think that most of the veteran would like to babysit rookies with them. For them, having rookies just slowing them down.

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy