AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-16, 19:26   Link #141
DemonneoPT

Everytime i see Rimuru's status i laught at Great Sage and Predator because of how he gained those skills

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-10-17 at 07:15. Reason: let's not go any further than that.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 21:39   Link #142
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I seriously wonder just when he's going to begin traveling like the opening suggests, or when he's going to pick up more companions. And I really want to know just how he learns to turn human. So far the only method I know for him to take on an organism's form is to eat one of their species and fully digest them. Does this mean he's going to eat someone at some point? Maybe this WILL get a bit dark?

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-10-17 at 07:15. Reason: Original post deleted.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-16, 23:40   Link #143
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Everytime i see Rimuru's status i laught at Great Sage and Predator because of how he gained those skills
If you think about it, isn't that also how the Goblins -> Hobgoblins/Goblinas transformation happened? Based on Rigurd and Gobuta it very well might be.

The old gramps who seemed to be nearing the end of his lifespan seemed like he really wanted to be strong and youthful again instead of being a half-dead man who can't even shoot with the bow properly anymore. So compared to the others he probably wished for a "strong body" the most and his desire was fulfilled.

Likewise Gobuta didn't really seem to care about his body, as even after appearently being the only Goblin who didn't upgrade visually (he did become a Hobgoblin though), he didn't show any indication of being bothered by it. The whole concept seems so unfamiliar to him, appearently, that he wasn't even able to grasp what "belittling other races" means. Of course that opens up the question of "what did he wish for" then?

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-10-17 at 07:17. Reason: original posts deleted in quote.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 01:35   Link #144
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post

To be fair, from what I know, even in real life the most important aspects of any kind of large-scale organisation are material ressources, skilled personell and a leader (under the assumption that said leader's authority is accepted by the members) that is skilled at delegating tasks to the right people. So depending on the circumstances I think a modern middle-management business person would probably be able to somehow manage just based on that alone, as long as the scale is not too big at once and the points I mentioned earlier are fulfilled.

In the case of Slime, ressources and skilled personell are still lacking and Rimuru being aware of that is in the process of correcting that right now by looking for both ressources and skilled personell in Dwargon. We have already seen that Slime is both accepted AND doing his delegation job well enough (up until now at least). And regarding your concern, Rimuru started off with only a village size, so that's not too bad. It would be different if he suddenly started off managing the greatest nation on the planet or something without prior ruling experience, but that's clearly not the case here.
Yeah, but that still leaves two problems with the whole "Japanese salaryman is the best leader around" trope. One is the context in which the Japanese man learnt about management, which is different from the other world he finds himself in. You'd expect him to know less about that world than those who lived in it their whole lives, and yet the differences never seem to matter. For example, even though, say, we (are supposed to) write everything important down, while another world may have a low literacy rate.

Another is that the Japanese guys is often some kind of everyman, but once flung in another world, he becomes a great leader. Not just a great leader, but the great leader. The only one in the world. How come that other world didn't produce its own great leaders? Or even its own good ones?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 02:07   Link #145
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
How come that other world didn't produce its own great leaders? Or even its own good ones?
Basic economics regarding supply and demand.

If there is no 'need' for something, then the likelihood of that 'need' being met are more or less non-existent.

War (as a driving force) generally results in technology advancing significantly (due to necessity)

If the leaders they have are capable of satisfying the requirements of the followers 'as is' then you won't end up with a significantly improved version.

In the 'real-world', America now has Trump (where he'll 'rank' in the history books are far as leadership is concerned is yet to be determined).
Old 2018-10-17, 04:36   Link #146
mickbis

Rimuru isn't exactly the only best leader here either as he still new to this job
You will see another good one next episode
It just his power and Earth knowledge made him valuable as allience
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 04:58   Link #147
DemonneoPT

Quote:
I'd like to remind you that Slime isn't a pure sunshine and rainbows show. It's not just a whim of the anime director that the series showed a human being dying in a pool of blood or showing a wolf get decapitated in a way that emphasizes the gore of the scene. It's also not a coincidence that the series bothered showing two unknown old men (one of which is a noble) discuss serious political stuff and a potential invasion by another country several episodes before they even come into contact with the protagonist. The dark an serious moments are there, they are just "buried" under the silly stuff which not only works as entertainment for the audience by itself, but also works as a kind of "facade" that covers the darker stuff. This seamless transition is one of the greatest aspects of this franchise and IMO the most IMPORTANT aspect that I hoped the anime would convey properly - and it did, so I have no complains. But keep in mind that the "facade" will often show cracks and - at times - even get lifted completely for some time. Just a little heads-up.
Yes, i assumed that some serious moments could arise but, as you say, it will probably be buried under the comedy and all the silliness. Kinda like the old arcs of Gintama. Unless Rimuru becomes someone like Ainz. That could shift the narrative to a different type of story even tho comedic moments are still present. But either way, i enjoy both type of stories so i will still be happy. Especially if they keep the fantastic animation and pace.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-10-17 at 07:18. Reason: please stay ontopic.
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 07:40   Link #148
Ultragunner

^ yes, but Tensei Slime is somewhat self-aware that it is a power fantasy, though maybe not to the satire degree like Konosuba.

And Rimuru is just as animated as Kazuma as a protagonist
Old 2018-10-17, 07:42   Link #149
eiyuuou

Quote:
If you think about it, isn't that also how the Goblins -> Hobgoblins/Goblinas transformation happened? Based on Rigurd and Gobuta it very well might be.

The old gramps who seemed to be nearing the end of his lifespan seemed like he really wanted to be strong and youthful again instead of being a half-dead man who can't even shoot with the bow properly anymore. So compared to the others he probably wished for a "strong body" the most and his desire was fulfilled.

Likewise Gobuta didn't really seem to care about his body, as even after appearently being the only Goblin who didn't upgrade visually (he did become a Hobgoblin though), he didn't show any indication of being bothered by it. The whole concept seems so unfamiliar to him, appearently, that he wasn't even able to grasp what "belittling other races" means. Of course that opens up the question of "what did he wish for" then?
He's a gobuta
He probably just go " uhhhhhh " and his evolution is completed
Old 2018-10-17, 07:58   Link #150
XFire
150% done

Not that the "Japanese salaryman = great leader" trope isnt annoying, but aren't you jumping the gun a bit here? All he did was employ some basic strategy and organizational skills, which isnt farfetched for anyone who has had some kind of leadership role before. He even dumped the actual day to day running of the village to Rigurd, who was more familiar with doing so.

There are a number of superior leaders in the story, same as there are a number of characters far stronger than Rimuru is in a fight.
Old 2018-10-17, 09:14   Link #151
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:

Huh, I never thought of it that way. I guess that means those goblinas dreamed of being so uh...endowed?
Old 2018-10-17, 10:13   Link #152
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
Not that the "Japanese salaryman = great leader" trope isnt annoying, but aren't you jumping the gun a bit here? All he did was employ some basic strategy and organizational skills, which isnt farfetched for anyone who has had some kind of leadership role before. He even dumped the actual day to day running of the village to Rigurd, who was more familiar with doing so.

There are a number of superior leaders in the story, same as there are a number of characters far stronger than Rimuru is in a fight.
No, this series hasn't been all that bad in that respect, it's just an annoying feature in other series like Tanya.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 10:39   Link #153
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostfriendly View Post
No, this series hasn't been all that bad in that respect, it's just an annoying feature in other series like Tanya.
I don't think Tanya is a good example for this, because:

1. She is not a political leader with he highest level of authority but rather a military leader who is still following orders from others, so her leadership requirement is lower than you implied.

2. She went through proper education in the cadet school and then in the military academy, so her businessman experience from her past life is just a cherry on top of what the world's natives already have to begin with.
Old 2018-10-17, 11:18   Link #154
kari-no-sugata II

I'm guessing that those referencing Tanya have only ever seen the anime as the original novels are very different - or rather, the anime simply removed a huge amount of background detail on her. In the novels there's a lot of discussion of both military theory and practice, real world politics and also modern Western thought amongst other things. To be honest, it would quite easy to change Tanya from originally being Japanese to being from a Western country. Also, it's not like Tanya is held up as being a role model in-world - pretty much the opposite.

Similarly with Rimuru, I don't see any indication that his/its success come from "being Japanese". It's not like a contrast is being made to people from other places on Earth.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 13:10   Link #155
Yan3242

I doubt japanese salaryman has anything to do with it, what rimuru shown is just a very basic leadership and management. I mean if you recieve a proper education or play a lot of video games (especially rts and management genre), basic leadership like that is pretty much given.

As for japanese salaryman, i think thats normal considering the MC age is around 30ish, high school student is the standard trope for 16ish MC, for anyone in 30ish the most typical is japanese salaryman afterall. Its like the western version of office worker.
Yan3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 22:52   Link #156
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, I don't think there's supposed to be any of that "mundane skills make me awesome here" crap to the selection of a salaryman. It's just that there's typically four possibilities, all of which occur to varied extent: middle/high school student, college student, salaryman, or NEET. I've seen good and bad done in all these categories. And so far, he hasn't done anything impressive. All he did was tell them to work at the obvious necessities, split them up so someone's working on each thing, and told them not to pick fights that could lead to trouble. Not exactly the work of a tactical mastermind or an administrative genius.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-17, 23:00   Link #157
AceTrigger

Speaking of Tanya:

Spoiler:
AceTrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-18, 05:32   Link #158
Yan3242

^i though overlord MC is also late 20ish? unless thatss late 20 according to the artist.
Yan3242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-18, 07:03   Link #159
Ultragunner

^ I think he is, it is said that he is a full-fledged working adult, but unlikely to be as old as the other two
Old 2018-10-18, 09:56   Link #160
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceTrigger View Post
Speaking of Tanya:

Spoiler:
Hehehe... The emasculated trio.

Kinda makes me want to see an anime of "I was a sword when I reincarnated" just so that we can add the MC to this list. He was a 30-ish salaryman. (Nah, I lie, I just wanna see Fran animated...)

Tanya: Reincarnated as a little girl, this sucks. But at least it makes me harder to be shot.
Ainz: At least you're still human. I can't even feel emotions properly, I can't eat etc...
Rimuru: At least you're still humanoid. I'm just a blob!
Sword Shishou: At least you're still organic.

PS Regarding Ainz's age on Earth, I would have guessed he'd have been late 20s at a minimum, given how long the game had been running for and that one of the requirements for the guild was to be a productive member of society.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
isekai tensei