AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-11-08, 17:55   Link #1561
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeviouses View Post
GS is Neutral Good, the pragmatism and his vengeance driven quest against the goblins but still abiding by the Guild all points to it. To him doing good means killing goblins and he'll do it by any means necessary but he doesn't turn a blind eye to those he can rescue along the way.
Most standard protagonist tend fall into neutral good whom usually are people who are neither lawful good (paladin/knight types or chaotic good (rebellious/free spirits type). They conscientious people who care a fairly bit about what others think about them, strong empathy and flexible enough morality to make necessary decisions to produce the best outcomes even at expensive of themselves to some degree and are rarely one track minded.

GS doesn't really fit that to me, he's not doing what he is for greater good, but purely for vengeance. He rarely pays attention to others unless he really has to and cares not for what anyone thinks about him. He's not heartless enough to leave someone to die, but if they ask to be killed he'll do without much in the way of second thoughts. He's very pragmatic, self-driven, extremely social awkward and which makes him more true neutral than other alignment. I do think of recent episodes he's starting to trend away from this towards NG the more he interacts with other and get involves in their lives and theirs in his tho.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 18:19   Link #1562
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
GS doesn't really fit that to me, he's not doing what he is for greater good, but purely for vengeance.
I don't think that's true. Yes, vengeance drives him. A lot. But he also wants to protect other frontier villages from the fate that befell his. It's true he could fight other threats and chooses not to, but someone's got to deal with the goblins too, and there are other adventurers.

Quote:
He rarely pays attention to others unless he really has to and cares not for what anyone thinks about him.
He actually shows a certain level of consideration for others. Especially Priestess (who needs it more, and whom he's in a position to help). And there are the aforementioned frontier villages. He also accepts that he can't do everything and save everyone, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 18:52   Link #1563
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I think Goblin Slayer is Lawful. His sheer dedication to his craft is a sure tell, almost (or is) Monk-like, in fact he is strictly following his "kill goblins" tenets, and most importantly, he conforms with the existing rules. He is socially awkward, but not really breaking social norms.

OOT, but whenever there is a talk about alignment I like to talk about my favorite character Tony Montana from Scarface. He is evil and a chaotic law breaker through and through, but he follows his tenets strictly; he doesn't lie and he doesn't kill innocents (which is emphasized more in the game); which imo makes him a Neutral or even Lawful in the game.

Last edited by erneiz_hyde; 2018-11-08 at 20:33.
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-08, 20:29   Link #1564
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I got True Neutral in case you're wondering.

Well, I can't get GS's damaged heart so I'm not sure how is his alignment.
Old 2018-11-09, 05:38   Link #1565
eiyuuou

Quote:
GS doesn't really fit that to me, he's not doing what he is for greater good, but purely for vengeance. He rarely pays attention to others unless he really has to and cares not for what anyone thinks about him. He's not heartless enough to leave someone to die, but if they ask to be killed he'll do without much in the way of second thoughts. He's very pragmatic, self-driven, extremely social awkward and which makes him more true neutral than other alignment. I do think of recent episodes he's starting to trend away from this towards NG the more he interacts with other and get involves in their lives and theirs in his tho.
d&d alignment is based on your actions as the dm cannot possibly know what you, the player, is thinking and your actions may be contradictory to your own thoughts.

While his motivation is stemmed from vengeance, he is also doing it to prevent villages from experiencing what he did, which he used to rebut high elf's argument. Why do you think he puts alarm traps and lives where the cowgirl lives?
He does pay attention to the priestess and told her to rest. When he told her he would go alone, it was his attempt at discussion signifying a low charisma stat than being uncaring. If it was an average adventurer, it could easily be interpreted as goblin slayer brushing them off, and those kind of actions led to the low trust general adventurers had towards him before priestess joined.
Old 2018-11-09, 06:16   Link #1566
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
I did this twice

+ Morning: Chaotic Neutral
+ Evening: True Neutral

I don't actually know what 'changes' I made between morning and evening, maybe I'm just that fickle and the time of day alters my moods.
Old 2018-11-09, 07:18   Link #1567
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Most people here are going to be Neutral based off that quiz considering a lot of those questions lack context to give a committed answer to. I'm pretty sure some of answers that would mark you down as "evil" could be easily justified depending on what the quiz taker was thinking.

I was True Neutral if anyone cares.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-09, 23:47   Link #1568
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I don't think that's true. Yes, vengeance drives him. A lot. But he also wants to protect other frontier villages from the fate that befell his. It's true he could fight other threats and chooses not to, but someone's got to deal with the goblins too, and there are other adventurers.

He actually shows a certain level of consideration for others. Especially Priestess (who needs it more, and whom he's in a position to help). And there are the aforementioned frontier villages. He also accepts that he can't do everything and save everyone, but it doesn't mean he doesn't care.
Maybe that's case now and I can buy it because he's starting to shift, but story early om prior to the time of meeting the Priestess and during initial time he spent traveling with her plus his reactions to anything not having to do with goblins paints a different story of somebody who values hunting them down rather than saving lives. True Neutral as I have understood it doesn't mean your completely heartless, but that you place your own self-interest above all with little regard to morality. I fully believe GS saved the Priestess at beginning was she useful and she simply was secondary objective to the goblins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiyuuou View Post
d&d alignment is based on your actions as the dm cannot possibly know what you, the player, is thinking and your actions may be contradictory to your own thoughts.

While his motivation is stemmed from vengeance, he is also doing it to prevent villages from experiencing what he did, which he used to rebut high elf's argument. Why do you think he puts alarm traps and lives where the cowgirl lives?
He does pay attention to the priestess and told her to rest. When he told her he would go alone, it was his attempt at discussion signifying a low charisma stat than being uncaring. If it was an average adventurer, it could easily be interpreted as goblin slayer brushing them off, and those kind of actions led to the low trust general adventurers had towards him before priestess joined.
I never said he was completely uncaring in the first place. Only that he cares more killing goblins than other people, but that is starting to change bit by bit. His reaction of demons incoming invasion compared to one news of hearing about goblin is hoard in far flung ruin is not that of someone who is primary hunting goblins to protect others. Especially when both are a major threat. I feel there is enough room for that interpretation at least in the anime.

Last edited by Applehell; 2018-11-09 at 23:59.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 00:48   Link #1569
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

For me it looks like between a threat and another threat he chose the one he knows the most.
Old 2018-11-10, 01:16   Link #1570
eiyuuou

Quote:
I never said he was completely uncaring in the first place. Only that he cares more killing goblins than other people, but that is starting to change bit by bit. His reaction of demons incoming invasion compared to one news of hearing about goblin is hoard in far flung ruin is not that of someone who is primary hunting goblins to protect others. Especially when both are a major threat. I feel there is enough room for that interpretation at least in the anime.
Him having the ease of goblin quests after the morning scramble testify many adventurers don't care much for goblins and an ignored goblin next will keep growing until it becomes a horde.
a distant threat vs an immediate threat that will destroy villages, goblin slayer chose the latter.
Old 2018-11-10, 01:47   Link #1571
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Maybe that's case now and I can buy it because he's starting to shift, but story early om prior to the time of meeting the Priestess and during initial time he spent traveling with her plus his reactions to anything not having to do with goblins paints a different story of somebody who values hunting them down rather than saving lives. True Neutral as I have understood it doesn't mean your completely heartless, but that you place your own self-interest above all with little regard to morality. I fully believe GS saved the Priestess at beginning was she useful and she simply was secondary objective to the goblins.
He said it later: he doesn't go into goblin dens if he can help it. He usually smokes them out or something. If he rushed (as he had to to arrive so soon after Priestess' party), and if he went into the cave, it was to try and rescue them. And he had no way to know she'd be of any use.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 07:41   Link #1572
Wheeljack83

Goblin Slayer does genuinely care for the well being of others. It's just tough for him to show it in a conventional way.

Note in episode 3 he wanted Priestess to take it easy and rest. He didn't want her to come on his next quest because they'd just gotten back from one, and he thought she needed rest. He wasn't trying to be mean.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 07:43   Link #1573
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ Is it because she needed rest, or because a weary Priestess might drag him down? I'd say GS is chaotic neutral. If you really stop and think about it, he only serves his own interests: killing goblins and protecting the farm. Overseeing the rhea's evaluation was a rare course of action, when taking into account everything else he does:

- almost exclusively kills goblins
- doesn't really bother talking to anyone if he doesn't neeeed to
- has a very "whatever" reaction to pretty much anything after his own traumatic experience
- makes choices without bothering to explain himself, unless explicitly asked
- for a guy with such a boring and predetermined routine life, he is extremely unpredictable
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 08:05   Link #1574
Tenzen12

You could argue any and every good deed in the world was done for self-satisfaction and there is no way prove otherwise. Killing goblins is good thing and saving lifes is good thing too. In contrary fact he really suck with human interactions doesn't really say anything about his alligment.

Orcbolg said clearly he does it to protect people in village. He also said that having lot opportunities to slay green critters is bad thing, because for him safety of people > revenge.
Old 2018-11-10, 08:07   Link #1575
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
^ Is it because she needed rest, or because a weary Priestess might drag him down? I'd say GS is chaotic neutral. If you really stop and think about it, he only serves his own interests: killing goblins and protecting the farm. Overseeing the rhea's evaluation was a rare course of action, when taking into account everything else he does:

- almost exclusively kills goblins
- doesn't really bother talking to anyone if he doesn't neeeed to
- has a very "whatever" reaction to pretty much anything after his own traumatic experience
- makes choices without bothering to explain himself, unless explicitly asked
- for a guy with such a boring and predetermined routine life, he is extremely unpredictable
I completely disagree with that assessment. While GS is definitely someone of few words, he never ignores anyone who talk to him unless it goes against to what he was planning to, and even then he is fine with compromise.
For instance, he had no obligation to save Priestess in her first adventure. Likewise, if he was truly hell bent on exterminating goblins and nothing else, he would have left wizard dying because it wouldn't have changed anything. He knows the notion of pain and suffering and he definitely tries to avoid that for others in a clumsy way. That's also why he asked Guild Girl about the party composition of the newbies in episode 2, but also why he allowed Priestess to go after them since he realizes that she is too worried about them, so he didn't force her to tag along with him. He is used to do this stuff alone, and while having a pocket flashbang/medikit/wall projector would make his job easier, he is sensible enough to let people do what they want. Remember episode 1 after he saved Priestess? He didn't ask her to come with him, but rather what she wants to do from now on. Even when he only met her the first time, he didn't consider her as a tool. That's also why he wanted to go alone without Priestess in episode 3 because he thought she was too tired. If anything, he is pretty much selfless because he doesn't expect people to help him in his endeavour all the time.

The fact he is socially awkward is merely because he invested himself in his quest of vengeance, but that doesn't mean he doesn't pay attention to whatever is around him. And I daresay he is extremely predictable. While his methods are unorthodox, it is pretty easy to expect when he will go just "goblins or nothing else". Also, while he doesn't really care about consequence, he is extremely pragmatic and efficient in what he does, so he is definitely very methodic, and he isn't going completely insane with his crusade against goblins.

Also, while he doesn't really like the fact the army doesn't give a shit about goblins, he realize the world works differently, so he isn't complaining that the army and other adventurers ignore the goblin menace. He is doing what he believes he needs to do, nothing more nothing less.

So Chaotic is definitely not fitting him. He doesn't have anything against the established order, and whether or not he abides to them faithfully or not is still debatable. So Lawful or Neutral actually works for him. Consisidering his action and code of conduct, he is definitely ranging between good and neutral too.
From my perspective, GS is Neutral Good, in essence that while he understands how the world works, he doesn't really abide to the established order without going against it either. And while he is quite aloof regarding his emotions, he is definitely not just about "eradicating the goblin race" considering what he does for others and his interactions with them.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-11-10 at 08:23.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 08:22   Link #1576
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, he did use a gate scroll in the most unorthodox way, he literally bathes in the blood of his enemies, and he does jump at every single opportunity to murder goblins en masse. Hell, he's even keeping score.

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to start a debate, I acknowledge his social ineptitude for what it is, I'm just saying it leaves a lot of the things he does open for interpretation; I doubt many people will be able to see him for what he really is.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-10, 08:39   Link #1577
Tenzen12

That's shame, there is never enough of good debates, if you ask me.

Thing is, GS social ineptude isn't meant to confuse of mislead audience. It explain why he is misunderstand by people who don't know him well. Story make lot of effort showcase Orcbolg characters to us through his interaction with people are around him, whether it's Cowgirl, Priestess or Guild girl and lead to the point where he get accepted by more people as they figure he is actually well meaning if still weird person.
Old 2018-11-10, 10:37   Link #1578
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
I got True Neutral. I'm prob not the best person to take on a dangerous quest.
Old 2018-11-10, 11:03   Link #1579
eiyuuou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Well, he did use a gate scroll in the most unorthodox way, .
scrolls are hard to come by and he needs a mage to prepare the spell so it's not something he can do trial and error. He's likely to hear or seen a prior example since he's not a mage and thus uses it as part of his guerilla tactics.
He is also unwilling to tell high elf so few will know he uses it that way to begin with.

Quote:
he literally bathes in the blood of his enemies,
goblin slayer explained goblins have a keen smell, especially on clean metals, females and children.

Quote:
and he does jump at every single opportunity to murder goblins en masse. Hell, he's even keeping score.
It is mentioned any goblin survivor grows to become stronger, such as the hobgoblin you saw in episode 1. rather than leaving any potential survivors seeking revenge on humanity in the future, goblin slayer aims to [Leave no survivors].

The reason why he's wearing cheap equipment because in the event he gets murdered, goblins don't benefit much from taking away his equipment.
The things he does is logical, and disciplined, rather than whimsical so chaotic neutral doesn't fit him.
Old 2018-11-10, 11:59   Link #1580
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Episode 6 was pretty good. First half was the necessary introduction and transition part for the Water Town arc, along with the necessary tidbits for the request. That part was serviceable although it was a bit awkward at times when it comes to character details.

Meanwhile, the second half was much better. In fact, I'm relieved the direction took a step up with the dynamic shots and the few quick skirmishes for some characters. And as usual, they did keep the banter even during the fight, so that's a very positive point for me considering the series is much more enjoyable with the character interactions.
My only complaint would be how sloppy they made arrows bouncing on protection, but they put way more efforts on the alligator, so no problem. They also gave justice to the dwarf Stone Blast.

That episode gave me more faith in the anime staff. Got more expectations for the next episode.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2018-11-10 at 12:14.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy