AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-11-14, 20:43   Link #161
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

This show is amazing.

Even before, I thought about how strange it was for random girls to introduce themselves to the MC with useless info that doesn't relate to the situation, so what does Sakuta do? He responds with "Do people around here suddenly start talking to people they've never met?"

Add to that his adamant refusal to go the oreimo route with kaede and what we have is a very genre-savvy MC

It's already been hinted that there will be trouble with that relationship, I remember when Koga said something like "are you sure? she's a celebrity!" before in a previous episode.

The harem is progressing rapidly! We got 4 of the girls in one roof, only Koga and the unintroduced one was missing

I thought the Shoko arc was next based on the last episode, turns out it's the overarching arc, Shoko's situation will be the last one to be resolved, maybe.

Top tier banter between mai and sakuta as well, it's slowly overtaking senjougahara and arararagi's spot
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-14, 20:47   Link #162
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Sakuta and Mai continue to prove they're the "best couple" of the year. But I hope Mai's manager isn't going to set rules for their relationship. It's well-known that youth idols in Japan and South Korea lead horribly regimented lives, so as to maintain their public image. Still, for it is worth, it's interesting that the story is dealing somewhat realistically with the challenges of dating a celebrity.
That's what I immediately thought of as the issue.

I don't think Mai would join an agency that has a "no-dating" policy, although that's not always in the fine print.
Old 2018-11-14, 21:57   Link #163
eisai_haramasukoi

Mai is an actress, not an idol. So the rules are much less strict.
eisai_haramasukoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-14, 22:07   Link #164
Jord
Banned

That was quite the episode, as always the chemistry between Sakuta and Mai is a nice touch, love their dinamic as a couple and of course how every detail shows their feelings. Now regarding this arc, that ending with Futaba's pics was quite a cliffhanger and to be honest I have no idea what to think about it, I know it must be something related to her feelings for Sakuta's friend and probably mixed with her family.

That call from Mai's manager, to me it looks more like she is going to tell Mai that they need her back to the work but I can't stop thinking that they're going to say something about her relationship with Sakuta based on her reaction when Mai said she has a boyfriend. Hopefully that's not the case because that can be a real shame.
Jord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-14, 22:50   Link #165
HtwoN

Mai is like, the best waifu.
HtwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 01:49   Link #166
Zangor17

Mai and Sakuta continue to be a couple that i cant seem to stop watching and smiling about. the 6 episode wait was so worth it. Overall i really enjoyed the episode, and one small touch i love is that Sakuta has to use landlines and payphones because he doesn't own a smartphone (I also always chuckle a little during the OP because of the animation segment of Sakuta throwing his phone into the ocean since that's what he told Mai he did back during her arc.)
Zangor17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 03:26   Link #167
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well it is sometimes said that the quiet ones are often the wildest especially because holy shit ponytail Futaba without glasses is hot.

Quote:
That moment when you realise the possible reason for Futaba Rio being given the surname Futaba, which literally means "two leaves", or a pair of leaves, or even "twin leaves".

Quantum teleportation pseudo-science aside, I think it's fairly clear that both Futabas are real, except that one represents the id, and the other the ego. Ponytail Futaba is the side of her that wants to let go and express her raw feelings, while lab-coat Futaba prefers to be "logical", taking only actions that she deems proper and rational.

Sakuta and Mai continue to prove they're the "best couple" of the year. But I hope Mai's manager isn't going to set rules for their relationship. It's well-known that youth idols in Japan and South Korea lead horribly regimented lives, so as to maintain their public image. Still, for it is worth, it's interesting that the story is dealing somewhat realistically with the challenges of dating a celebrity.
The episode more or less suggests that ponytail Futaba is the id, and regular glasses Futaba is the ego, and the arc deals with a physical splitting of the two. Given the ending of the episode you'd assume that id Futaba would be the one engaging in those risque behaviors and... self photography.

However it seems it's clearly not the case. Given that regular Futaba was found in the net cafe, it seems clearly that the version who actually posted those photos was not ponytail Futaba, which we would likely expect to be the culprit, but regular Futaba herself!

1. The net cafe would be the best place to anonymously produce and upload such content, as Kunimi's ever annoying GF says that this Futaba's secret account.
2. She had glasses with her.
3. Ponytail Futaba implies that regular Futaba lied to Sakuta to hide something.

It means that in reality, regular glasses Futaba might actually be the id, while ponytail Futaba might actually be the ego. This is something I wouldn't have expected given regular Futaba's usual stoic nature. I'm incredibly curious why this is the case in this arc, because if I'm correct in this assessment, it subverts the usual expectation of the id being the more open and emotional part of the psyche. It would also suggest that regular Futaba carries a lot of suppressed romantic and/or sexual desire within her.

Edit - In fact I think she probably took those pictures in the Science Club room.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2018-11-15 at 03:48.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 03:56   Link #168
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jord View Post
...I know it must be something related to her feelings for Sakuta's friend and probably mixed with her family.
That reminds me. Does anyone here have a regular relationship with their familly.
Sakuta's fucked off during the height of Kaede's syndrome.
Mai is essentially estranged from her mother and father is never mentioned.
And not Futaba implies that situation might not be so jolly back at her place.

On the other hand I think Koga did mention she moved here, probably due to her family moving.

Also, this is probably the first episode where the Jealous Girlfriend has NOT been the Queen Bitch and was on point. It makes me wonder does she suspect Futaba of harboring feelinga about her man. I'd guess so, given that she knows he is friends with Futaba and she probably noticed how she "accidentally" tends to go look at him training.
Which makes me wonder what's her angle here with showing Sakuta this? Is she really afraid Futaba might snag Best Friend with this?!? That... doesn't seem likely.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 04:24   Link #169
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Considering her perpetual state of jealousy this was almost expected, and definitely has her own angle to showing him those photos. Hell she's technically cyberstalking Futaba to learn what she does online under a different name.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 05:39   Link #170
Lex79

They had me, I thought this was going to be Shoko's arc and we get Futaba instead. I wonder how it's going to end, she will give up on her feelings (and maybe join Sakuta's harem) or she'll manage to get together with her crush?
For Sakuta and Mai, their interactions are wonderful as usual. Let's Hope they can continue like this without a cheap "you are not allowed to have a boyfriend" drama.
Lex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 05:43   Link #171
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
That reminds me. Does anyone here have a regular relationship with their familly... Mai is essentially estranged from her mother and father is never mentioned.
Mai's parents are divorced. She mentioned in Ep3 that her father re-married and, as a result, she now has a younger half-sister... whom I expect we'll meet soon. I believe she's the blonde girl who is yet to be introduced.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 06:52   Link #172
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
Which makes me wonder what's her angle here with showing Sakuta this? Is she really afraid Futaba might snag Best Friend with this?!? That... doesn't seem likely.
Probably the same angle as always, keeping 'trouble' (of any kind, real or not) away from her BF.
Old 2018-11-15, 09:53   Link #173
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-22 at 04:51.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 11:09   Link #174
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I thought the Shoko arc was next based on the last episode, turns out it's the overarching arc, Shoko's situation will be the last one to be resolved, maybe.
Taken from /r/anime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23ira23
You thought this arc was going to be about Makinohara Shoko but it was about me, RIO!!!
Incidentally, it just occurred to me the possible reasons for the specific time of day in which each ED plays out: They're connected to a climactic moment in each girl's relationship with Sakuta. It was in the evening, when Mai's mother literally walked past her, confirming for the first time the seriousness of Mai's condition. And it was in the morning or early afternoon when Tomoe finally confessed her true feelings for Sakuta. As for Futaba, it was in the night when she watched the fireworks with Kunimi and Sakuta. She made reference to that moment in this latest episode.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 11:57   Link #175
HandofFate

Enjoying the presentation in this series so far a lot more than the monogatari series, without all the gimmicks and whistles SHAFT throws in.
Old 2018-11-15, 14:30   Link #176
4th Dimension

TBH, the presentation side is probably the weakest aspect of it, mostly down to the terrible designs they are stuck with from the manga and I assume the original LN art. Where some brilliant fella decided to give everyone the same haircut and hair color.

Like in this episode I had REAL HARD time following who among the basketballplayers was the Best Bro.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 15:10   Link #177
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
Enjoying the presentation in this series so far a lot more than the monogatari series, without all the gimmicks and whistles SHAFT throws in.
Pretty much my opinion too. Aobuta isn't particularly original with its "1 guy dealing with girls entangled by some weird supernatural phenomenoms" setup, but the characters carry the show very well, and the anime direction compliments them without being incredibly disruptive or pompous.

While I think the author went a bit too far with the banters at times, Sakuta's relationships with nearly every character feel natural, although I wasn't particularly sold by Sakuta helping Tomeo so readily.
And of course, Mai acts like a real high school girl who has a cheeky boyfriend. Her "there is no way I would be jealous of a middle school girl" felt so refreshing.
Old 2018-11-15, 20:14   Link #178
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Just watched episode 3. God dang, Sakuta's stunt at the end actually worked. It's great how I'm really caring for these characters in just a few eps. It helps that the character design is A+ as well.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-15, 20:31   Link #179
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroKing View Post
Mai in a swimsuit .

I'd actually be kind of interested to see how Mai and Koga might interact .
Old 2018-11-16, 07:57   Link #180
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Taken from /r/anime.
While I do browse that place occasionally this time I didn't check before I posted here, based on what you've said though it turns out somebody else also came to same conclusion

As for why I think Shoko's arc is the final one even if it was introduced before futaba's arc, I think she's the cause of why sakuta is the only one experiencing all these, specifically why he's the only one not affected by koga's time loop.

Unless of course, the real explanation for that is as futaba said, they "collided" by kicking each other's butts
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem