AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-12-11, 17:07   Link #1
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Confronted with reality

I'm looking for series where the character(s) stumble into a setting, discover that they're above average or at least believe that they are but then get a reminder that the world is not as nice as they thought it to be. And by reminder I mean something with real and heavy consequences that aren't just a tap on the shoulder, forgotten in one episode.

This probably works better in fantasy but a more realistic story is perfectly fine too.

Suicide (attempts), permanent loss, exile, falling from grace, to name a couple possibilities, hit me with your worst. I'm not very keen on gore though.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-11, 17:32   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Have you seen ReZero? This definitely happens in the second half where, after a successful first two arcs, he lets his successes get the better of him and is met with a harsh dose of reality that still has consequences all the way to the end of the series.

This also happens a lot in HunterXHunter although consequences are a considerably more forgiving.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-12, 06:21   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Now and Then, Here or There is the show for you.
Second suggestion: Hai to Gensou no Grimgar. Just when the heroes think they have everything under control...
Old 2018-12-12, 12:50   Link #4
Lex79

I second Grimgar. Consequences are heavy, and ofthen permanent.
Lex79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-12, 17:33   Link #5
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Look up Cerebus Syndrome or Gut Punch on TV Tropes for some examples. Additionally, if you can wait a month you can meet a dude with a shield who in the space of a day goes from a great hero destined to save the world to a wanted man, framed for rape and surrounded by people who think he's pretty much a demon.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-13, 17:23   Link #6
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Have you seen ReZero? This definitely happens in the second half where, after a successful first two arcs, he lets his successes get the better of him and is met with a harsh dose of reality that still has consequences all the way to the end of the series.

This also happens a lot in HunterXHunter although consequences are a considerably more forgiving.
I have seen ReZero and am mostly up to date with HxH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFangirl View Post
Now and Then, Here or There is the show for you.
Second suggestion: Hai to Gensou no Grimgar. Just when the heroes think they have everything under control...
Grimgar has been on my plan-to-watch list for quite some time, not sure why it slipped my mind here. Will move both of them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Look up Cerebus Syndrome or Gut Punch on TV Tropes for some examples. Additionally, if you can wait a month you can meet a dude with a shield who in the space of a day goes from a great hero destined to save the world to a wanted man, framed for rape and surrounded by people who think he's pretty much a demon.
Never heard about either of these, I tend to ... get lost on tvtropes when looking up something there. Is that shield hero or whatever the Japanese title is you're talking about? Certainly piqued my curiosity.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-13, 20:38   Link #7
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I have seen ReZero and am mostly up to date with HxH.

Grimgar has been on my plan-to-watch list for quite some time, not sure why it slipped my mind here. Will move both of them up.

Never heard about either of these, I tend to ... get lost on tvtropes when looking up something there. Is that shield hero or whatever the Japanese title is you're talking about? Certainly piqued my curiosity.
Yes I was referring to The Rising of the Shield Hero, which should begin airing on 1/9/2019. Its Japanese title is "Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari". Light novels are already available here up to volume 13.
BWTraveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-16, 17:14   Link #8
kitten320

Well... FMA obviously, it's the topic of whole series where brothers thought they could play gods.

Bamboo Blade, the MC is considered unbeatable until one day that changes. Does happen in second half of the series though. sport show about Kendo.

Claymore - light gore but in Theresa arc we find out that confidence caused tragic consequences on both sides. Created a monster and death.

Code Geass - Lelouch self confidence did cause a set of deaths he did not want.

Fate/Zero - self confidence caused enough disaster for many people. MC is very confident but in the end it leads him to a catastrophe.

Madoka Magica - whole cast is very self confident until they are brutally proved wrong.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - whole point of series is that MC is an average guy who live with talented students in one dorm. Every time he thinks he can achieve something, life punches him down.

Steins;Gate - MC is so focused on the idea of creating a time machine that he does not consider the consequences it can cause.