Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-12-24, 04:35   Link #761
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
The digital world has always existed. It is where the Compoids and digital creatures like Ano lives.

Akane's city is artificially made by inside the digital world by using kaiju. The people lived there are Repli-Compoids, who are copies made by kaiju too.
And the entire process took how long?

How did Akane connect to that digital world?

I expected she's in a hospital or something on life support
But it was just like waking from normal sleep
It was just a single dream or what?
Does it matter then?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 04:56   Link #762
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Hmm ... As silent audience because its tokusatsu genre, I want to enjoyed it strictly without listening others.
I already forgot about Gridman stories, let alone Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad (which I presumed to be reason of SSSS title) . So people clarifying it being a sequel made me kinda, "Eeehhh?!"

The story is nice, not exceptional ones but good enough. Still, I kinda disappointed with how they did the Grid-Yuuta.
Feels weak compare to some other like several Ultramans who get used living as human and getting more considerate to other humans as the series progress rather than 'I get carried away because now I know how wonderful a world with waifus like Rikka and Akane' (j/k).

Old 2018-12-24, 05:17   Link #763
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
The story is nice, not exceptional ones but good enough. Still, I kinda disappointed with how they did the Grid-Yuuta.
Feels weak compare to some other like several Ultramans who get used living as human and getting more considerate to other humans as the series progress rather than 'I get carried away because now I know how wonderful a world with waifus like Rikka and Akane' (j/k).

I think if you look at story mainly from how it handles Akane and treat it as more of a personal journey for her with a nice helping of Tokusatsu fanservice it's a pretty decent tale, lack of backstory aside.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 10:05   Link #764
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 10:07   Link #765
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

i find it hilarious that the Fixer Beam can be used as an attack.
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-24, 11:23   Link #766
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
I think if you look at story mainly from how it handles Akane and treat it as more of a personal journey for her with a nice helping of Tokusatsu fanservice it's a pretty decent tale, lack of backstory aside.
that was the big problem for many peoples the only thing which really worked was the tokusatsu because of the fanservice the plot around akane/rikka itself was handled really poor and with a lot of problem, for me the only enjoyable part was the tokusatsu everything else was pretty "trigger troubled quality", where it can be a hit or miss.
Old 2018-12-24, 13:51   Link #767
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
that was the big problem for many peoples the only thing which really worked was the tokusatsu because of the fanservice the plot around akane/rikka itself was handled really poor and with a lot of problem, for me the only enjoyable part was the tokusatsu everything else was pretty "trigger troubled quality", where it can be a hit or miss.
The problem is not that big.

On ground, its simply they are doing too many "show it, don't tell".

Kinda understandable as they need to ensure Akane is the story focus that would be opposite to tokusatsu usually did.
The consequences is that Yuuta and Rikka part became weaker when it should became stronger as they are the opposing faction.

I'd say the mistake is they played "the whole situation is a mystery" too long.
If they have one more episode, it would look good as that would be enough for both parties to reaffirm their fists are clenching, especially Grid-Yuuta.

Old 2018-12-24, 14:02   Link #768
xeviouses

Curious, does Gridman know that Rikka is the real Akane? (or at least based on her) Or did he forget after he made Yuta his host?

So basically the whole is about a girl struggling with self-acceptance and basically wanted a world where she is loved, but unfortunately for her she lives in a tokatsu world filled with beings of power and she has the misfortune of being chosen by one who tortures her constantly by making her tear down her ideal world over and over again...And Gridman has to save her.

Man, I mainly watched this for the toku style action scenes and call backs but now I'm actually thinking about the plot. I love it!

Sasuga Trigger.
Old 2018-12-24, 15:16   Link #769
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
The problem is not that big.

On ground, its simply they are doing too many "show it, don't tell".

Kinda understandable as they need to ensure Akane is the story focus that would be opposite to tokusatsu usually did.
The consequences is that Yuuta and Rikka part became weaker when it should became stronger as they are the opposing faction.

I'd say the mistake is they played "the whole situation is a mystery" too long.
If they have one more episode, it would look good as that would be enough for both parties to reaffirm their fists are clenching, especially Grid-Yuuta.

my problem not was jut "akane/rikka and yuuta" but basically the only characters which get any proper development here and where really good was, anti and gridman, even alexis, we only get a little of him like where he's come??? how he was born??? yuuta friend (i'm really bad with his name) he literally said the truth when he told to rikka which he was "useless" the whole time, he really don't had any real purpose in the end than just "cheer up for gridman in the end.

but i agree about that serie needing more "episodes" at last 2 more to develop more the characters, because i'm still unable to feel bad about akane due to how poor she was handed and as you told that "too secret things agenda", even the real life akane, call me a monster or something else", i really can't feel horrible that bad because we don't really know what make she be like that, while i know about the hikkikomore and how terrible it's is sometimes i good to know more about the "personnal case" to be able to related and understand what lead she to that??? she was bullied in school??? parent abuse???, because even sometimes part of the problem can be the hikkikomore himself specially later after the damage, when i really enjoyed all the tokusatsu and it was really good the "emotion part" for me was really a miss since the only real character to get a proper real character development to be true honest was anti because he was the only one which goes from the A to B, while everyone else was basically the same the whole serie.

Ofcourse "extra episodes could only had helped if indeed they wanted to proper give some character development otherwise could still means nothing if they keep just pulling monster of day and the characters being the same without any real development which was the issue, lack of character development for most of the cast, it make akane "redemption feel too weak and rushed and even not sure if it really worked, we really don't know if she really learned anything here or gonna keep her "every day hikkikomore life style, because she thing which all was just a dream because "just a dream" can't change someone soo easy in just one night.
Old 2018-12-24, 19:36   Link #770
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The actress who plays real life Akane is Akane Sakanoue if anyone is interested. She starred in Ultraman X.

And I want to say once again that I found no official confirmation that Rikka is based on Akane's real self. It's just a theory, unless someone can provide a source.
Old 2018-12-25, 09:46   Link #771
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Only thing I can see is.. Her hair is long and black?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-25, 11:38   Link #772
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
And the entire process took how long?

How did Akane connect to that digital world?

I expected she's in a hospital or something on life support
But it was just like waking from normal sleep
It was just a single dream or what?
I honestly wouldn't put so much thought into the mechanics of it all. I mean, Alexis has his magic. Taking care of those issues shouldn't be a problem considering other Ultraman alien villains can do a lot more and many of them aren't even immortal beings like Alexis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
Does it matter then?
Yes it does.
  • Alexis is sealed
  • Gridman managed to complete his mission and stopped another interdimensional villain/mastermind.
  • The cyberspace-world is now free to develop. The compoids (Yuta & others) can continue living without being terrorized by Akane & Alexis.
  • Akane is prevented from being sucked dry by Alexis, and she's given a ray of hope to face reality.
  • Anti is granted a new life with the other benevolent kaijus (he can practically start a family with Ano II if they want).
Old 2018-12-26, 00:01   Link #773
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

SSSS.Gridman Final Thoughts

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Although I was never aware of the 1993 tokusatsu Denkou Choujin Gridman, I can confidently speak for myself that Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad had its moments and was enjoyable. Nonetheless, nothing beats the original show.

As for SSSS.Gridman, sincerely believe Akane was such a relatable sociopath that truly needed only love to be able to eventually confront herself. I think that for me Akane succeeded as a character only because Rikka kept pushing her friendship without giving up on Akane. Moreover, Rikka was as well a fully 3D characters with worries, flaws, and anxieties that in spite of fears and the truth of her world, she still sought to be with Akane as well as cheering for Gridman to save everyone.

If anything the only time I ever felt Akane temporarily crossing the moral event horizon came when she flatly and callously disowned Anti in the tenth episode, in spite of poor Anti getting owned by Gridman multiple times and later manhandled thrice by Alexis in the show. Nevertheless, one way or another Anti eventually came full circle in his character development turning from antagonist to one-sided rival to friendly anti-hero of sorts at the end.

Mmmmh.....

What else can I say on SSSS.Gridman?
If anything IMHO I can as well vouch the following, SSSS.Gridman felt far enjoyable and a more fulfilling show in contrast to Darling in the Franxx for TRIGGER anime debuting this year.

If anything else, maybe this entry into the Gridman franchise could serve as a sort of a test pilot for an even bigger project in a foreseeable future.
I mean if it does well with the Blu-ray/DVD sales we can hope in a near future for Tsuburaya Productions releasing a brand-new, Gridman TV show in live-action, tokusatsu format.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-26, 11:12   Link #774
NeutralZero

Really enjoyed this one
Though they did gloss out the conversation akane and yuuta had at the start of the ep1
And we never get to know of it...
Rikka great as usual
But sadly cant say the same for the megane guy
So is their concept of time in the digital word the same as in realitty or its like in sims where time runs faster.
In that case it is possible that this 12 ep is just a 1 whole night worth of dream for the real rikka/akane if put in that old gridman show
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-26, 18:40   Link #775
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
If anything IMHO I can as well vouch the following, SSSS.Gridman felt far enjoyable and a more fulfilling show in contrast to Darling in the Franxx for TRIGGER anime debuting this year.
Imo, they're both pretty much on the same level. Great directing but fraught with questionable writing. FranXX's writing issues were definitely more severe but it also had higher "high moments" than Gridman. And it genuinely made a complex character out of ZeroTwo which I didn't expect, which is kind of a contrast to Akane Shinjo whose characterisation pathway was predictable and yet still totally unconvincing. We never really got a satisfactory reasoning behind her redemption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The actress who plays real life Akane is Akane Sakanoue if anyone is interested. She starred in Ultraman X.

And I want to say once again that I found no official confirmation that Rikka is based on Akane's real self. It's just a theory, unless someone can provide a source.
For the record, I also think it's a bit of stretch. At most I think something like this is designed to be a tease rather than clear cut canon (lol, Kanon searching for canon).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-27, 00:05   Link #776
Frontier

Anti still saying he wants to kill Gridman and Gridman being cool with that. These guys .

I guess it always comes down to a sinister alien force finding some type of amusement in a human .

It doesn't get any better then everyone Access Flashing to unlock Gridman's original form all to the theme of Yume no Hero .

I thought Gridman's final fight with Alexis was pretty solid, and I especially liked that finishing punch .

I guess in the end the important thing about Yuta was that he liked a girl that wasn't Akane Shinjo. Sometimes, that's enough .

So what role do the Neon Genesis people have with Gridman in his original form? Are they needed to be part of his body to get him to his tall size without a human host? I guess they're still support vehicles even if they can't combine with him like in his SSSS design .

Utsumi didn't really do anything important in this episode, but he finally managed to avoid Borr kicking his leg. So at least he got a victory on that front .

I guess Yuta really didn't confess to Rikka pre-amnesia if she was surprised to learn he had feelings for her...

We didn't get to really see the "real" Yuta when he woke up, so I'm curious to see what he was like and how different he was from when Gridman was in his body. Were all his trepidation and unsure moments all Yuta? Was his heroic side and drive to save Akane all Gridman? It would be interesting to see, in a possible continuation, an examining of who exactly Yuta Hibiki is without Gridman.

So it seems the virtual world is now actually progressing and moving on from the repeated daily life that Akane had created with it, to the point where Yuta's parents came back. Assuming it was a world she created for herself, I'm guessing on the outside she's just continuing to develop it without playing God like she did before?

It was neat to see the show end in a live-action segment as Akane "wakes up" into the real world. Maybe they'll do a continuation that's a live-action/animated hybrid with the OG!Gridman cast teaming-up with Akane ?
Old 2018-12-27, 03:56   Link #777
AHT

https://twitter.com/Takayamt0311/sta...272513/video/1
AHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-27, 07:08   Link #778
Faux Mecha
robot looks impractical

of all the references, one is from an H-anime......
Faux Mecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-27, 08:10   Link #779
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faux Mecha View Post
of all the references, one is from an H-anime......
I'm drawing blank right now but I'm sure Bible Black was not the one that popularized such "embrace-stabbing"-method . Did the video-maker just troll us, or was one of S4G animators really inspired by that hentai?
Old 2018-12-27, 08:31   Link #780
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I'm drawing blank right now but I'm sure Bible Black was not the one that popularized such "embrace-stabbing"-method . Did the video-maker just troll us, or was one of S4G animators really inspired by that hentai?
I'm sure I've seen that in other anime too. Just trolling on their part I'm sure about that.

Tags
kaiju, super hero, tokusatsu, tsuburaya