AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2019-02-20, 06:42   Link #1541
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung-t-rung View Post
I felt this like a spat into the spirit of altruism everywhere. Everyone can try to be what Hamazura is, someone who risked themselves for relatives or people close to him. Few, however, can make the decision to risk everything for someone they barely know out of pure goodwill.

Or maybe people these days are just that much jaded that a timeless quality of traditional hero archetype is now considered something abnormal and naive now.
Everyone can try. Few, however, will succeed like Hamazura (especially, a person without any super power).

To be fair, Touma can only effort that much because of his right hand. It allows him to fight with a powerful opponent to make his 'ideal' come true. Hamazura doesn't have that privilege so what he can choose to do is limited.
Old 2019-02-20, 08:10   Link #1542
Trung-t-rung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Everyone can try. Few, however, will succeed like Hamazura (especially, a person without any super power).

To be fair, Touma can only effort that much because of his right hand. It allows him to fight with a powerful opponent to make his 'ideal' come true. Hamazura doesn't have that privilege so what he can choose to do is limited.
I think you are misunderstanding my point. Hamazura is the badass normal of the settings with borderline devil's luck on his side. But the thing is his justification is as normal and can be related by anyone. Protecting someone close to you is something anyone have no problem doing.

But to follow through with Touma's heroism and idealism, knowing full well the danger and risk of life for a stranger, is something few can do.

Of course, apparently that sort of thing is "unrealistic" and "unrelatable" now.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-20, 12:54   Link #1543
LG-MAX 2.o

There is nothing wrong with being altruistic, the problem is how it works in the series after 40 volumes. It seems more like a fetish that Kamachi has in wanting to save young girls and can not put into practicing in real life, so use this to relieve the stress itself in fiction.

An example of a good altruistic character is Deku.

Another point is the constant insistence on wanting to describe Touma as a normal kid, seriously, enough of that, it's ridiculous. Hamazura is normal, he fails sometimes, wins sometimes and if he dies the world will keep spinning and only a few people will cry. Touma is the complete opposite. His existence and actions affect the destiny of humanity, the scale is so great that it becomes funny.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-20, 22:45   Link #1544
Daft

I feel Touma's altruism works for me compared to most other series because it's a more uncommon case of everyone deserves a second chance no matter how badly they messed up. There's no black and white in it at all. In other series the character that is trying to be redeemed is usually a close associate of the main characters. Here, even mass murderers like Accelerator and Aleister deserve another chance. Touma was never friendly with them before that moment.

The way I see it, Touma is constantly described as normal because he wants to be normal. That's always been his character from day one. He lets people take credit for saving the day because he's not interested in being famous. The fact that he wants to be normal more than anyone automatically tells you that he's the farthest thing from it. It's the joke you can love or hate after all this time but at the same time is probably the whole reason why only he has Imagine Breaker no matter how many times he loses it. His personality fits the power to normalize supernatural values and will inevitably break eventually. The cracks are already there and have been growing the entire NT series. The IT comes out practically whenever it wants now without any dismemberment of his arm. He's going to have to face the music eventually and I wouldn't be surprised if his catchphrase is lost or changes as a result.
Old 2019-02-20, 23:19   Link #1545
Trung-t-rung

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
There is nothing wrong with being altruistic, the problem is how it works in the series after 40 volumes. It seems more like a fetish that Kamachi has in wanting to save young girls and can not put into practicing in real life, so use this to relieve the stress itself in fiction.
I'm pretty sure the last few people Touma wanted to save include a "normal high school student one can find anywhere", a mature young woman and an old pervert who had been manipulating his whole life from the shadow.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-21, 06:38   Link #1546
Tenzen12

I think Touma is more relatable. He wants save attractive and/or interesting people. Hazamura on other hand go insane lengtht for Takatsubo out of all people. It creeps me he even went so far for her to even date her.
Old 2019-02-22, 06:19   Link #1547
Doe, John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft View Post
I feel Touma's altruism works for me compared to most other series because it's a more uncommon case of everyone deserves a second chance no matter how badly they messed up. There's no black and white in it at all. In other series the character that is trying to be redeemed is usually a close associate of the main characters. Here, even mass murderers like Accelerator and Aleister deserve another chance. Touma was never friendly with them before that moment.

The way I see it, Touma is constantly described as normal because he wants to be normal. That's always been his character from day one. He lets people take credit for saving the day because he's not interested in being famous. The fact that he wants to be normal more than anyone automatically tells you that he's the farthest thing from it. It's the joke you can love or hate after all this time but at the same time is probably the whole reason why only he has Imagine Breaker no matter how many times he loses it. His personality fits the power to normalize supernatural values and will inevitably break eventually. The cracks are already there and have been growing the entire NT series. The IT comes out practically whenever it wants now without any dismemberment of his arm. He's going to have to face the music eventually and I wouldn't be surprised if his catchphrase is lost or changes as a result.
^This. Remember, Touma isn't a normal high school boy, he's someone who's suffered total retrograde amnesia since the end of Volume 1. And even before that he wasn't normal, as shown by the cases of Misaki and Seria and, of course, having a one-of-a-kind supernatural ability.
Doe, John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-22, 13:07   Link #1548
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

That's the point of Touma character.
He isn't normal, he pretends to be one and cherry picks his actions and thought process to fit his narrative because that way he thinks he can be his old self and along the way he patted himself on the back saying his current self is fine too, he normalised his behaviour but in no way is normal.

Shiage fell for Rikou because she was nice to him, worked to be noticed by her and it worked out. Now he protects her. End. Pretty normal.
Old 2019-03-01, 02:05   Link #1549
Daft

PV of volume 22 is out by JS06.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Old 2019-03-01, 06:02   Link #1550
itine
No Book No Live

Images
High-res NT22 Cover
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spoiler for ?:

Spoiler for ??:
itine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-01, 19:57   Link #1551
faiz blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by itine View Post
Images
High-res NT22 Cover
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Spoiler for ?:

Spoiler for ??:
Ok... how are the last two related to this story at all?
Old 2019-03-03, 05:25   Link #1552
judasmartel
*Author

Wait, is the top pic the Tree of Sephiroth?
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-03, 11:47   Link #1553
KiharaRonin

Looks like it, in fact, I strictly remember an image like that in the anime Angel Fall Arc.
Old 2019-03-30, 02:45   Link #1554
itine
No Book No Live

From Toaru Project x T-Fan Event:
- Miki wants to do New Testament anime, but for that, the series, in general, must have good sales.
- Toaru IF will have +300 characters.
- Later, According to Miki, New Testament will soon reach its climax. (NT23 confirm?)
itine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-30, 03:06   Link #1555
Callum18
Fukou da

Quote:
Originally Posted by itine View Post

From Toaru Project x T-Fan Event:
- Miki wants to do New Testament anime, but for that, the series, in general, must have good sales.
- Toaru IF will have +300 characters.
- Later, According to Miki, New Testament will soon reach its climax. (NT23 confirm?)
Some other stuff to add

-Regarding Index III, By all means they really really wanted to finish off OT, it was very unfortunate that the length was insufficient but it was very important that they get it all done
-Regarding NT anime, first is Accel and Railgun, then after that we'll be talking about NT anime. He absolutely wants it done and your continued support is important
-Toaru IF will have +300 characters.
-Something about if the series reaches 108 vols, some obscure foreshadowing in the parody novels said Stiyl would visit in a friendly way, Touma's house in Volume 108 of Index?-

If anyone would like to join the To Aru Index Skype fan club. Please do PM me (:.
Callum18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-30, 13:49   Link #1556
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

The favourite character question felt so fake .
Old 2019-03-31, 21:31   Link #1557
DragonXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum18 View Post
Some other stuff to add

-Regarding Index III, By all means they really really wanted to finish off OT, it was very unfortunate that the length was insufficient but it was very important that they get it all done
-Regarding NT anime, first is Accel and Railgun, then after that we'll be talking about NT anime. He absolutely wants it done and your continued support is important
-Toaru IF will have +300 characters.
-Something about if the series reaches 108 vols, some obscure foreshadowing in the parody novels said Stiyl would visit in a friendly way, Touma's house in Volume 108 of Index?-
Well Miki said that if Kamachi use every idea and foreshadowing from the series, he would get to over 100 volumes. I like the parody of volume 88 being Touma's Third Death. We also still don't know the meaning of Touma 's Second Death even after 22 volumes
DragonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-02, 21:32   Link #1558
Callum18
Fukou da

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXX View Post
Well Miki said that if Kamachi use every idea and foreshadowing from the series, he would get to over 100 volumes. I like the parody of volume 88 being Touma's Third Death. We also still don't know the meaning of Touma 's Second Death even after 22 volumes
Yea, I remember reading about this. If Kamachi does reach over 100 vols then bless him and it would be a massive feat if he pulls it off. However, a lot of factors would have to be taken in first. The big one would depend if interest in the series can still hold up 10-15 years from now. NT sales while still strong, have drop like a rock in just a matter of 3-5 years (not sure how online sales are, maybe they are better?). Who knows where we would be 10 years from with Part 3 and so on.

Again, I wish Kamachi the very best of luck. I'm sure the madman could write a 1000 vol series if he wanted too and I support him the best I can. But, I just feel the series has a whole would need some kind overhaul/boost for Kamachi to reach his 100 vol dream. It be interesting to see how things go in the next 3-5 years.

If anyone would like to join the To Aru Index Skype fan club. Please do PM me (:.
Old 2019-04-02, 23:30   Link #1559
KiharaRonin

Generally, in this age, sales of physical books (as with views on television) are decreasing greatly due to online so that is in important factor to take into account. Not to mention, Index still gets higher sales than the average Light Novel physically.
Old 2019-04-03, 13:16   Link #1560
Callum18
Fukou da

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiharaRonin View Post
Generally, in this age, sales of physical books (as with views on television) are decreasing greatly due to online so that is in important factor to take into account. Not to mention, Index still gets higher sales than the average Light Novel physically.
You make good points my friend and your are right about Index LN's still has higher sales then the average LN which is still a good thing. A shame we can't see online sales because that would give us a much better idea how the series is holding up. My worry is what the sales will be like 5 years or so if decline keeps going.

Anyways back on topic: The 15th Anniversary is coming up so it be interesting to see what we get from that. We know Miki said a NT anime would depend on how well Accel and Railgun animes do.

Last edited by Callum18; 2019-04-03 at 13:36.