AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2019-04-15, 08:31   Link #12441
Laksmana2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trung-t-rung View Post
Like I said, just a story wouldn't be enough to form a myth. There must be some kind of genuine religious worship or belief to go with it. Or at least something grew enough to become something that people believed to be at least part of history/myth/folklore like many Arthurian stories. It's pretty much impossible for pop culture characters to reach that kind of religious belief unless there is some complete collapse of civilization or disappearance of modern knowledge.
But 200 years in the future ...
Laksmana2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 21:25   Link #12442
wghokay

I just finish listening to the drama CD.

So apparently Godou is a lot smarter now, as he seems to be well-versed with Proto-Indo European mythology and the story of Bahagun (If anyone has source on Bahagun, please share!).

Overall, Godou and Ren have very different ways of fighting. Godou is more like "Enemy has X attribute, I will hit them with attribute Y that they are weak to", while Ren is like "Enemy has X attribute, but I will just hit it with so much X that they get overwhelmed".

I personally still prefer Godou as MC as his fight tends to be more interesting, but on the other hand Ren's interaction with his harem is much more interesting.
wghokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 22:26   Link #12443
GodSoul
He Who Would Swallow God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wghokay View Post
(If anyone has source on Bahagun, please share!).
Վահագն = Bahagun

https://hy.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D5%8E...A1%D5%A3%D5%B6
GodSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-17, 23:18   Link #12444
wghokay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSoul View Post
Thank you so much for sharing the source!
Old 2019-04-17, 23:26   Link #12445
roronoa20

Quote:
Ren's interaction with his harem is much more interesting.
I think Ren's what Godou could've been if he didn't have his self-denial and got his personality mixed with Doni while activating [Youth].

Still, Ren has a lot more experiences compared to Godou during the original series.
roronoa20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-18, 13:06   Link #12446
bakapervert
A pervert

Quote:
Was it really written Bahagun? I just wrote what I heard instead of searching the correct name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoa20 View Post
I think Ren's what Godou could've been if he didn't have his self-denial and got his personality mixed with Doni while activating [Youth].

Still, Ren has a lot more experiences compared to Godou during the original series.
Not really, Godou already has a harem of four girls when he was in high school. Ren? He is only starting to build his harem when he is univ student.
Old 2019-04-18, 13:21   Link #12447
Sakamaki Izayoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakapervert View Post
Not really, Godou already has a harem of four girls when he was in high school. Ren? He is only starting to build his harem when he is univ student.
True, Godou was already running harems at 16, though, I do find Ren to be a more, let's say "charming" MC both personality and appearence wise lol
Old 2019-04-18, 14:26   Link #12448
GodSoul
He Who Would Swallow God

Quote:
Was it really written Bahagun? I just wrote what I heard instead of searching the correct name.
If Վահագն and his wife Աստղիկ, it is not the same god, then they are brothers twin of different parents (myths).

In addition to being a god of Armenia, he is associated with Veretragna, Heracles, slayer of dragons, married to a water goddess who is also a goddess of love, if the Japanese pronunciation has not changed the Va by Ba and there is a Bahagun and another Vahagun then I'll have to admit that I'm wrong.

The dragon that Vahagn killed, Vishap (ビシャプ).

Last edited by GodSoul; 2019-04-18 at 16:39.
Old 2019-04-18, 20:43   Link #12449
wghokay

Quote:
If Վահագն and his wife Աստղիկ, it is not the same god, then they are brothers twin of different parents (myths).

In addition to being a god of Armenia, he is associated with Veretragna, Heracles, slayer of dragons, married to a water goddess who is also a goddess of love, if the Japanese pronunciation has not changed the Va by Ba and there is a Bahagun and another Vahagun then I'll have to admit that I'm wrong.

Interesting story. Thanks for sharing!

The fact that Godou can know this much about the mythology just from this name means that Erica has probably subjected him to harsh classes on mythology .
Old 2019-04-18, 21:47   Link #12450
bakapervert
A pervert

Quote:
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing!

The fact that Godou can know this much about the mythology just from this name means that Erica has probably subjected him to harsh classes on mythology .
Or maybe he got cheat sheet with him, like telepathic connection with Yuri or Liliana. Or perhaps Athena herself.

Quote:

So his name should be written as Vahagn?
Old 2019-04-18, 22:39   Link #12451
GodSoul
He Who Would Swallow God

Quote:
Or maybe he got cheat sheet with him, like telepathic connection with Yuri or Liliana. Or perhaps Athena herself.

So his name should be written as Vahagn?
This is like the Japanese pronunciation for Urusuraguna = Verethragna, then Vahagn = Bahagun.

For anyone who is interested in researching about it, I think it would be better the occidental pronunciation.
Old 2019-04-18, 23:13   Link #12452
roronoa20

Quote:
Maybe it's similar to what Godou did when he encounter Susanoo in Vol.5.

Although, I think that Yuri might've inject some knowledge about Hyperborea into Godou's head before hand.

Some sample illustration for campione EX. There's another one, but it's NSFW.
Old 2019-04-19, 11:41   Link #12453
Trung-t-rung

I just recently finished reading the first two volumes and I think it was...okay, I think. Despite how everyone seemed to praise Ren, I personally found him a little too bland.

I don't really find his interaction with Riona as charming as Godou's with Erica either. Sure, he got a stand-offish attitude but his interactions with Riona and Cassandra are just very distant compared to Godou's trust for Erica to have his back completely.

His in-battle persona also doesn't have that bloodthirsty charm like Godou, either. He's a little bit like Doni in regard to his lightheartness but Doni works great as a character who cared little others besides those whom he could fight with. Godou's in-battle persona works great as a great contrast to his everyday one where there is a sense of silent respect and rapport between equal warriors despite their differences as well.

We'll see how it goes in the next volume but Shiniki really isn't as good as OG Campione so far.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 15:16   Link #12454
GodSoul
He Who Would Swallow God

Someone knows where I can download, or listen to Drama Cd Campione!

I had, more I lost when I formatted the computer.
Old 2019-04-20, 16:37   Link #12455
KnightShade

Quote:
I just recently finished reading the first two volumes and I think it was...okay, I think. Despite how everyone seemed to praise Ren, I personally found him a little too bland.

I don't really find his interaction with Riona as charming as Godou's with Erica either. Sure, he got a stand-offish attitude but his interactions with Riona and Cassandra are just very distant compared to Godou's trust for Erica to have his back completely.

His in-battle persona also doesn't have that bloodthirsty charm like Godou, either. He's a little bit like Doni in regard to his lightheartness but Doni works great as a character who cared little others besides those whom he could fight with. Godou's in-battle persona works great as a great contrast to his everyday one where there is a sense of silent respect and rapport between equal warriors despite their differences as well.

We'll see how it goes in the next volume but Shiniki really isn't as good as OG Campione so far.
You already posted this in the shiniki thread. No point in putting it here
KnightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 20:42   Link #12456
Chaserjacksaw
Outer God of Insomnia

Location: ..what is here?...W where is this?!?.... Who Em I!!!???~
Quote:

Eh really? I think Ren is more of a demon king who murder even god than Gudou in his early days. Ren have a very unique set of mind & personality that makes him set apart from normal people Ren is scarly abnormal he is somehow a enigmatic individual. & for me he is like the male opposite of Aphrodite if you ask me in regards his relation in both male & female intimacy.

While Gudou appears to be much stronger is mosty due to his unfair & nonsensesical first Authority which have so many goddamn form & also his own way of using it(the shounen way of fighting).
While Gudou is okey. His way of being a annoying harem protag is seriously getting in ones nerves, a character cliche you can found on literally tons of harem anime series & books back in the days.(they love one another yet the girl is more aggressive & Male act like a innocent virgin pussy) well he did accept a harem so its all good. But seriously his early character is fcking annoying.

Also what really set apart Ren & Gudou is the way the story presented, while the two of them use that overly used cliche of just your everyday normal person/student but!
Gudou story smells like a highschool action fantasy story which somehow made his character felt very restricted at times.
Ren Story is more of a college student toss in a fantasy isekai setting. He is unrestricted & easy going.

In a fight Ren might have a slight advantage than Gudou as Ren makes use of his enemy power and throw it back several times fold & shamelessly call upon reinforcement to bullboze enemy by numbers.
Chaserjacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-20, 22:55   Link #12457
Trung-t-rung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaserjacksaw View Post
Eh really? I think Ren is more of a demon king who murder even god than Gudou in his early days. Ren have a very unique set of mind & personality that makes him set apart from normal people Ren is scarly abnormal he is somehow a enigmatic individual. & for me he is like the male opposite of Aphrodite if you ask me in regards his relation in both male & female intimacy.

While Gudou is okey. His way of being a annoying harem protag is seriously getting in ones nerves, a character cliche you can found on literally tons of harem anime series & books back in the days.(they love one another yet the girl is more aggressive & Male act like a innocent virgin pussy) well he did accept a harem so its all good. But seriously his early character is fcking annoying.
The characterization should never just about "huh duh why don't he fuck the girls", especially in a series with fantastical and fighting elements like Campione. The thing that sets Godou, and other OG Campiones, apart and above Ren is that they clearly have a certain desire to fight and win and it's actually entertaining to watch them interact with each other.

Godou masked his true nature as a hyper-competitive, thrill-seeking athlete/warrior with his pacifist acting. Same with Doni who masked almost the same persona with his go-lucky and cheerful attitude. JPS with his/her hero-playing and Alex with his gentleman thief quirk, etc. All of the 7 Campione felt like a character established and fit with how they acted and interacted with each other. They are humans who exceeded humanities because their natures are always about survival of the fittest, victory, fighting and other qualities enable them to stand against the Gods.

Even Godou who can be said to be the most "benevolent" of all Campione never just in it for justice and protecting others. He's fighting because he enjoyed the fight and the thrill of battle itself. And it actually fits 'cause the backstory already established his past as a competitive baseball player who's like a sports manga rival/villain character!

Ren doesn't have that. Through two volumes, his character never evolved beyond the usual "good guy" cliché with a cheerful attitude. It was boring to read. He just doesn't have the attitude, the personality or any qualities that put him in the same warrior's quality.

Quote:
While Gudou appears to be much stronger is mosty due to his unfair & nonsensesical first Authority which have so many goddamn form & also his own way of using it(the shounen way of fighting).
I call bull-fucking-shit on that. Godou's early Authorities are limited with clearly defined abilities. Each fight of Godou played like a cardgame where he had a limited number of moves per day/battle and how to smartly used it, when to use it the most effectively actually put a certain level of tactics in how he fought.

Ren's ability is a poorly defined one of retribution, not only on other people, location and himself, but also Godspeed for some reasons. And the abilities to call for help from other Gods to add even more bullshit powers so he can asspull himself. And he can spam Godspeed and Retribution karma with no limits. It isn't fun to read when the MC clearly felt OP and lack an underdog appeal to it. There's almost no risk in how he used the power.

Quote:

Also what really set apart Ren & Gudou is the way the story presented, while the two of them use that overly used cliche of just your everyday normal person/student but!
Gudou story smells like a highschool action fantasy story which somehow made his character felt very restricted at times.
Ren Story is more of a college student toss in a fantasy isekai setting. He is unrestricted & easy going.

In a fight Ren might have a slight advantage than Gudou as Ren makes use of his enemy power and throw it back several times fold & shamelessly call upon reinforcement to bullboze enemy by numbers.
There. The bold part is the problems, because Ren felt like an isekai character with a poorly defined personal goal and personality to boost.

Campione's urban and varied historical ruins/sights/destinations in the modern world is always far more interesting than Shiniki's almost generic medieval fantasy settings. Campione reads like an urban fantasy but focused purely on the top tier of the settings, while Shiniki reads just like a decently written but pretty generic isekai.
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-21, 07:35   Link #12458
Windsgrace

^ Painfully on point.
Old 2019-04-21, 08:37   Link #12459
roronoa20

Quote:
The characterization should never just about "huh duh why don't he fuck the girls", especially in a series with fantastical and fighting elements like Campione. The thing that sets Godou, and other OG Campiones, apart and above Ren is that they clearly have a certain desire to fight and win and it's actually entertaining to watch them interact with each other.

Godou masked his true nature as a hyper-competitive, thrill-seeking athlete/warrior with his pacifist acting. Same with Doni who masked almost the same persona with his go-lucky and cheerful attitude. JPS with his/her hero-playing and Alex with his gentleman thief quirk, etc. All of the 7 Campione felt like a character established and fit with how they acted and interacted with each other. They are humans who exceeded humanities because their natures are always about survival of the fittest, victory, fighting and other qualities enable them to stand against the Gods.

Even Godou who can be said to be the most "benevolent" of all Campione never just in it for justice and protecting others. He's fighting because he enjoyed the fight and the thrill of battle itself. And it actually fits 'cause the backstory already established his past as a competitive baseball player who's like a sports manga rival/villain character!

Ren doesn't have that. Through two volumes, his character never evolved beyond the usual "good guy" cliché with a cheerful attitude. It was boring to read. He just doesn't have the attitude, the personality or any qualities that put him in the same warrior's quality.
I don't have anything more to say about Ren's personality, your analysis was on spot. I wholeheartedly agree with it. However, this series only has 4 volumes, so we might see something special from him in the future volumes.

Quote:
I call bull-fucking-shit on that. Godou's early Authorities are limited with clearly defined abilities. Each fight of Godou played like a cardgame where he had a limited number of moves per day/battle and how to smartly used it, when to use it the most effectively actually put a certain level of tactics in how he fought.

Ren's ability is a poorly defined one of retribution, not only on other people, location and himself, but also Godspeed for some reasons. And the abilities to call for help from other Gods to add even more bullshit powers so he can asspull himself. And he can spam Godspeed and Retribution karma with no limits. It isn't fun to read when the MC clearly felt OP and lack an underdog appeal to it. There's almost no risk in how he used the power.
Although, I think Red and Godou's authorities are equally broken. It's come in a form of quality vs quantity in this case. Godou's [Ten incarnation] can do many things, but has a lot of restrictions. [Retribution of Nemesis] has less variations, on the contrary, It is far more flexible.

The author has already stated many times that godslayer's authories are flexible, and can be interpreted and changed in many ways as long as it still fit the concept of said authority.

I think Ren's authority is similar to Doni's [silver arm]. Who would've thought that he can turn his surrounding into a sword, or change an asteroid into a sword strike. Ren's authority has a concept of [Karmic retribution] not [cross counter enemy's attack], thus he can bend this to suit his description, like Doni's [turning everything he touched into all cutting sword] can turn anything he wants into a sword regardless of shapes or forms.

You said that Ren's authority has no limit, but I beg to differ. His power has limit. Susanoo and Apollo almost kill him if not for outside interferences. His godspeed can only be spammed when enemy is gunning for him and he can't use it on his own, Luo Has even break his arm when they fought each other.

The most important part is that, overusing this authority too much, it will kill him. Godou's authority maybe a bitch to use, but it never do any physical harms to him more than chest pain. Ren got his heart and lungs ripped to shreds and die.

Quote:
There. The bold part is the problems, because Ren felt like an isekai character with a poorly defined personal goal and personality to boost.

Campione's urban and varied historical ruins/sights/destinations in the modern world is always far more interesting than Shiniki's almost generic medieval fantasy settings. Campione reads like an urban fantasy but focused purely on the top tier of the settings, while Shiniki reads just like a decently written but pretty generic isekai.
In terms of the story, I like Shiniki more than Campione!, because it has more world building and deeper lore than the original series. This story has clear sense of progression and clear goal from the beginning, unlike the first five volume of the original series. If you said that Ren has poor personal goal, the Godou should be the same, or worse, he doesn't even have a goal in the beginning. All he did is doing what other has asked him to do. Riona and Ren's interaction are more fun to read than Godou's constant self denial and Erica's already established love interest since the beginning.

Last edited by roronoa20; 2019-04-21 at 09:09.
Old 2019-04-23, 06:18   Link #12460
Chaserjacksaw
Outer God of Insomnia

Location: ..what is here?...W where is this?!?.... Who Em I!!!???~
Oh now I remember I think what makes Ren different most on Gudou & other Demon kings & also what makes him more interesting (for me) among others is he is a variant Godslayer~ Despite being a god murderer Aphrodite lives within him as his other haft, at this point they are almost one & the same....thought I think this is only possible due to Ren & Aphrodite is super compatible to each other! Perhaps This might be a Authority from Stella(aphrodite) herself!? as she is also known as a Goddess of hemaphrodite once, as she is a god who represent both sexuality, love & beauty of male & female.

I seriously what to see more of Stella(Aphrodite) Power & story cuz her origin is quite interesting! So if you kindly do yourself a favor & read a book or Google her(oh by the way I read about her in my college library before) you will see there is more of her other than her well known personality of being a wicked adulterous always in heat beautiful thot Goddess.(yes she is not god you would want to place your faith u see)

And I guess that what make some people (specially me) likes Ren more than Gudou he is not simply a murderer there is a living God within him.

Last edited by Chaserjacksaw; 2019-04-23 at 06:31.
Chaserjacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel, true harem