Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-05-07, 11:17   Link #441
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
The entire thing about how Itachi found the first half of the map is just weird. How did he come to the conclusion that the map was put on Dororo's mother? Not to mention that he sure is lucky that he just randomly stumbled upon on a grave that just so happens to be the grave of Dororo's mother.
Perhaps Itachi knew where she was buried from his prior association with Dororo's father.

As for why to look on her back, maybe he had been reading Golden Kamuy recently. It's also a convenient fact that Dororo's tattoo fades while his mother's didn't. If they had dug her up and seen nothing on her back, we wouldn't be where we are in this story.

And I, for one, don't have a negative opinion of Hyakkimaru at all. In the last episode he was quite endearing with those shy smiles and tender demeanor. I don't find it upsetting that he is trying to recover his body from the demons that possess it. Yes, he freaked out when the temple with the children and that lovely woman was burned, but considering the circumstances it was certainly understandable if unfortunate that he killed those men. I don't recall seeing him kill anyone, human or yokai, that didn't "deserve" it.

BTW, where did Hyakkimaru get his boat? Sure seemed in fine condition.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-07, 21:12   Link #442
zztop

My understanding is the morality question of "the end justifying the means" is original to this anime; previous versions including the manga treated it as more of an action romp.

Ultimately, how do you think the writers should have handled it?
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-08, 07:45   Link #443
Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
My understanding is the morality question of "the end justifying the means" is original to this anime; previous versions including the manga treated it as more of an action romp.

Ultimately, how do you think the writers should have handled it?
Its sort of there in the original with
Spoiler:
but Tezuka got bored again and dropped the manga before he could answer it and it was clearly something tacked in with very little thought.

The way the anime was doing it was fine, its evident that deal is no good and most people can see that because the demons keep taking their blood tithe on everyone, its just beating around the bush way too long to the point that it makes people roll their eyes.

They might be waiting till the end to make the point as part of the climax, but on a 24 episode series it feels like its dragging on too long to get there. Incorporating that story beat earlier and expanding it would have fit with Tezuka's narrative of FUCK SAMURAI AND CAPITAL IN GENERAL
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-09, 20:40   Link #444
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Is there a release date for the full version of the new ending theme song?

By the way, a friend pointed out that the staff are changing the video to make it easier to understand. Guess it means, the ending is foreshadowing Hyakkimaru's eyesight. In the original it was way too simple, but I guess the anime staff want it to make a big impact in the story so we'll have it in the finale
Old 2019-05-13, 11:13   Link #445
zztop

Ep 18 ends the Shiranui/Itachi arc of Tezuka's manga.

Key differences from the manga include:

- Tahoumaru's army is anime-original. The manga's army was led by a random magistrate who was tracking Itachi to find and claim Hibikuro's treasure for himself.

- Shiranui never blows himself up. Instead he challenges Hyakki to a 1-1 duel, which Hyakki wins. Shiranui's dying request is to be buried with his sharks; Hyakki and Dororo tie his corpse to Jiroumaru's corpse and set the 2 out to sea.

- The treasure didn't exist in the manga. All manga Itachi finds is an empty pot containing a single written message from Hibikuro saying he'd anticipated Shiranui would do something like this and hid the real treasure somewhere else, that the money was for the people's uprising. Itachi dies disappointed.
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-13, 11:53   Link #446
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Epic episode. We had a lot of fights. Nice animation and even Dororo finding the "One Piece" and coming up with a huge decision in regards to its fate leading him to become the Pirate King apparently
Old 2019-05-13, 11:59   Link #447
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztop View Post
Ep 18 ends the Shiranui/Itachi arc of Tezuka's manga.

Key differences from the manga include:

- Tahoumaru's army is anime-original. The manga's army was led by a random magistrate who was tracking Itachi to find and claim Hibikuro's treasure for himself.

- Shiranui never blows himself up. Instead he challenges Hyakki to a 1-1 duel, which Hyakki wins. Shiranui's dying request is to be buried with his sharks; Hyakki and Dororo tie his corpse to Jiroumaru's corpse and set the 2 out to sea.

- The treasure didn't exist in the manga. All manga Itachi finds is an empty pot containing a single written message from Hibikuro saying he'd anticipated Shiranui would do something like this and hid the real treasure somewhere else, that the money was for the people's uprising. Itachi dies disappointed.
Tahomaru is a improvement, is far better and unique and tie better with Hyakki personal arc rather an one shot villain.

Shiranui was different, not worse or better but was better he got his death on the manga, so the anime did fail in a way.

Loved what happened in the manga, was a perfect FU to Itachi, seems they want to make Dororo more merciful in this anime seems.
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-13, 13:53   Link #448
grecefar

it was smart of dororo to take some of the tresure for the trip

nice fight between tahomaru, hyogo and mutsu vs hyakkimaru, I quite enjoyed it.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-13, 16:17   Link #449
Dark Wing

I called it I knew these sharks were more then meets the eye! DEMON SHARKS!

Tahomaru has made it clear that he has 100% committed himself to killing his brother but ends his mission when Hyogo is injured.

Itachi gets his final wish before dies. Well at least he could see the treasure before he bites the dust.

Dororo still not knowing what she wanted to do with the treasure decides to leave it hidden. Of course grabs a few had fulls to keep them going...
Old 2019-05-13, 18:38   Link #450
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
That was kind of a "well that's what you get" moment for Tahomaru. All his determination and steeling himself accomplished was getting a bunch of "his people" killed and one of his closest retainers seriously injured.

I'm fine with how things played out overall. In the end Itachi may have gotten to see the gold, but he's still dead. In some ways it is more pathetic that he was so obsessed with the money in his last moments. The money stays hidden and Dororo has the time to think about what to do with it. Sure take some for traveling expenses. But no need to take a ton of it.

Super helpful that the body part returned was the leg that Hyakkimaru couldn't find anyone to make a replacement one for . Shark demon was very considerate in that respect.
Old 2019-05-13, 18:48   Link #451
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Hyakkimaru and Dororo's reunion was cute. This is the first time Hyakkimaru showed clear signs of affection toward her in all the time they've been together, to the point Dororo got flustered.

Jiromaru (or Saburomaru, I always confuse them) was a massive disappointment. Didn't kill anybody and went down very easily. Incidentally, it was very convenient that Hyakkimaru recovered his leg after killing him. If he had recovered an arm or his eyes instead, he would have been screwed.

Tahomaru calling Hyakkimaru the demon that is making their people suffer pissed me off. Hyakkimaru noticed Tahomaru was different, is it simply because of his newfound resolve or did something happen to him when he visited the Hall of Hell?

Itachi redeemed himself a bit by saving Dororo. He wasn't such a bad guy, just a man trying to survive. I'm glad the treasure was there, and that Dororo was wise enough to take some of it for their living expenses. If only her parents had been that smart.

Spoiler for manga:

Overall, I'd say this arc was an improvement over the manga.
Old 2019-05-13, 21:25   Link #452
Cao Ni Ma

It was like that in the manga because Tezuka had a way different concept with the bandits that the anime has and mostly because it might have been another plot point later on if he hadn't gotten bored with the series and dropped it.
Old 2019-05-13, 22:54   Link #453
Wandering Soul

Itachi dies obsessed with money, but he does win points for saving Dororo. Tbf to him though, times were tough and he really did just want a way to ensure his survival.

Surprised Tahomaru's retainer got off with just an injury as I expected him to die.
Old 2019-05-13, 23:39   Link #454
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Deux-ex-shark-boy finally leaves the story. Thank gosh.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-14, 00:40   Link #455
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Itachi redeemed himself a bit by saving Dororo. He wasn't such a bad guy, just a man trying to survive. I'm glad the treasure was there, and that Dororo was wise enough to take some of it for their living expenses. If only her parents had been that smart.
I don't believe that Dororo's parents lacked intelligence...They just didn't have the cunning or cut throat mindset like Itachi had...

Like I said in an earlier post Dororo's parents main personality traits seen are Pirde, Courage, Kindness, and a Strong Will. Virtuous yes but not exactly suited for the time period they live in.

Last edited by Dark Wing; 2019-05-14 at 15:50.
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-14, 01:20   Link #456
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
I don't believe that Dororo's parents we lacked intelligence...Just not as cunning or cut throat as Itachi had been...

Like I said in an earlier post Dororo's parents seem main personality traits are Pirde, Courage, Kindness, and a Strong Will. Virtuous yes but not exactly suited for the time period they live in.
Yeah, in some cases those traits can be self-destructive if taken too far. It's impressive the willpower Dororo's mother showed in trying to avoid being able to abuse the treasure for the sake of her child. But that also lead to her death and Dororo having to grow up in a dangerous world without any family.

Dororo has admirable qualities. But is also not a stupid person. No issue taking a bit of that treasure for the sake of traveling expenses. Practicality is an important trait to have. Can be smart without that spiraling into greed.
Old 2019-05-14, 09:36   Link #457
Cao Ni Ma

Thats the entire point of the manga's call to arms against the unjust rulers though and it has parallels with just about any society at any given point in time.

Individually it might be destructive, but get the entire peasantry involved and you've got a revolution. Its not like the samurai will be able to subsist if the entire ground beneath them gets uprooted
Old 2019-05-14, 10:11   Link #458
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I forgot how good a well-animated episode looked from this show lol. I feel like it's been a while. While the fight between Hyakkimaru and Tahomaru and gang was short, there were some brief moments of sick moves. I'm also glad that Itachi's finally dead. Dororo is either too kind for her own good or is too young to feel hatred for her to lay him down in peace and still kinda cared for him in his final moments.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-14, 15:28   Link #459
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Dororo has admirable qualities. But is also not a stupid person. No issue taking a bit of that treasure for the sake of traveling expenses. Practicality is an important trait to have. Can be smart without that spiraling into greed.
Exactly my thoughts. Dororo had been heavily influenced by the the three people closest to her and has seemed find just the balance so far in her young life.
Old 2019-05-17, 14:00   Link #460
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote