AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-10-04, 16:25   Link #21
Applehell

The first half of the episode was far too saccharine and "by the numbers" for some kind of twist not be up so less surprising that a shoe dropped than what kind of shoe was going to drop.

So this a story about a MC s playing matchmaker huh?

Joro normally is not kind of guy I can stand, but he works in this kind of over-the-top scenario where his Hyde personality can be played for laughs and his POV is so biased you can see him rather unreliable narrator. The girls don't bare any fault and they don't owe him anything, but taking Joro attitude as just him being irrationally bitter and lacking time get over his hurt feelings make him a bit sympathetic to me otherwise he comes off just a an Incel than a immature teenager. His overall cynicism is fine in other respects tho.

Production values are pretty nice and it what honestly drew me more to this show than the premise so hopefully that keeps up. As a comedy nothing made me laugh out but was amusing enough especially with Joro's random english, the girls inability to follow simply plans and Pansy's antics that reasonably entertaining. I'll tentatively watch until ep 3 for now.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-10-04 at 17:05.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-04, 17:14   Link #22
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I'd say they owe him something. Not a date or a chance at romance or anything like that, just some consideration, recognition that he is a boy just like Sun and he has feelings that could be hurt by their actions. Gender doesn't matter there, whether it's a boy to a girl or a girl to a boy, everyone owes others at least some consideration.

Well, at least it's better than the manga, which goes into further detail about interactions preceding the confessions. In the manga, everyone thinks that Himawari is dating Joro and even Sun comments on it to them. The fact that such rumors have been going around and neither girl thought for a moment that either of them could have romantic feelings for him is a good bit harsher.

On a side note, I thought it amusing that the terms used to introduce the girls in the second half are the same as the new names given to Myne near the end of Shield Hero.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2019-10-04 at 23:57.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-08, 09:03   Link #23
DracoS

Was falling asleep in the first half... but giggling like crazy in the second. I think thos one going to take a episode or two to judge properly becuse of how it was set up through.
DracoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 05:27   Link #24
Ulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2 View Post
Haruka Tomatsu is sounding like Hayamin here.
I thought so too!!

It was far more enjoyable that I thought. Maybe it was because I was expecting nothing whatsoever, but I didn't know at all about the story and the very first minutes I was thinking "ok, here we go again, another harem LN adaptation where the "loser" of the MC starts with a bunch of girls pining for him because of reasons" and, at least for now, I was wrong

I guess I'll stay for a bit. I've enjoyed this first episode but I fear I like it and then it happens as with Gamers
Ulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 08:33   Link #25
jdennis007

I would laugh if Sun liked Joro.
Old 2019-10-09, 12:37   Link #26
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Wow. They kind of dashed through this part. I thought we'd reach this spot at the end of ep 3. And they had to cut one or two spots that seemed kind of important. For instance, in the manga both girls blew up at Sun over his being close to the other, resulting in him expressing serious contempt for both of them, though he forgave them in short order. Unfortunately shortening things like this kind of reduces the impact of the girls' tendency to just use Joro for their own ends without any real concern for him beyond that. It also cut a scene or two that showed the other side. While they pretty much used him, making him do things to help them while typically showing minimal concern otherwise, there was a scene where Joro was depressed over all the stuff that'd been happening and the complicated situation, and Himawari called out to him to not hide his feelings, that it's harder for her to try and cheer him up if he's not willing to show he's sad. This demonstrates that even though she's so caught up in her own story that she often fails to notice Joro or see him as much more than a helper, deep down some feelings of concern do exist. This is part of what I liked about the girls, the way they possess legitimate feelings of friendship toward him but are so concerned with themselves that they often forget those feelings and basically take him for granted.

On the positive side, we can sort of see Joro's good side here, like how much he values his friendship with Sun or how he also seems angry for Cosmos' and Himawari's sakes when Pansy talks mockingly about how useless everything turned out to be. He may have wanted a rebound, but still he doesn't like seeing the girls hurt, much less mocked.
Old 2019-10-09, 16:23   Link #27
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

He's got busted now.
Old 2019-10-09, 16:51   Link #28
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Not sure I'd call it busted. They don't hate him for wanting to get one of them on the rebound or anything like that, they hate him for something he never did. For things he specifically chose NOT to do as it would mean betraying them, but because Sun was so thoroughly convincing, nothing he says can convince them that he could possibly have not stabbed them in the back.

The only thing he HAS done that they've caught is that he's had contact with Pansy, though this was against his will.
Old 2019-10-09, 18:48   Link #29
Wandering Soul

Wasn't expecting them to catch him so early . He can try to explain the situation, but I doubt that Pansy will make that easy for him.
Old 2019-10-09, 20:36   Link #30
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Shiz hit the fan so fast. Dunno how our boy will recover from this.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 22:10   Link #31
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Holy cow this might be the best thing this season out of all the new shows, at least it made me laugh out loud.

I thought they'd hide that thing about how this nerdy library girl was actually pretty but they kind of revealed that in this episode and in the OP/ED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdennis007 View Post
I would laugh if Sun liked Joro.
I was expecting this to happen but this isn't BL so..
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 22:37   Link #32
Frontier

The Opening and Ending were very fitting for the kind of series this, and with plenty of nice floral imagery and cuteness. Also looks like there will be plenty of other girls (who also potentially fell in love with Sun-chan at that game) and maybe a friendship between the main trio of girls? Not that I see it happening after this episode .

The OP and ED also indicate that Pansy is secretly quite beautiful, she's just deliberately downplaying her looks while she's at school. Maybe that's her equivalent to the "Jekyll and Hyde" she compares Joro too. Even when she's wearing glasses you can tell she has very attractively eyes, and now I can't wait until Joro gets his "Face it Tiger...you just hit the jackpot" moment .

So now this is a proper love rectangle with Sun-chan being in love with Pansy. As if Joro's life wasn't complicated enough .

Points to Joro that he couldn't agree to support Sun-chan with Pansy while he was supporting the other girls, and BWTraveller already mentioned how he took offense to her belittling the girls' situation. I would like to think it's that heart hidden beneath the negative veneer that she fell in love with .

Man, Sun-chan...completely misunderstanding your best friends response, asking two girls who are in love with you to support you with another girl and ruining their relationship with Joro...dude's like an unwitting torpedo .

Joro dealing with the consequence of getting caught in an emotional web of lives .

So what is Pansy's endgame here? She seems genuine in her love and feelings for Joro, to the point where her having to play along with his negative belief of their relationship made her mad, but what does she get out of screwing everything up between him, Sun-chan, and the other girls? Is this all to expose his real personality so he'll drop the facade? Or cut him off from other relationships so he'll end up with her? Or maybe it's all just to amuse her ?
Old 2019-10-09, 23:25   Link #33
Applehell

Ep 2 in a nutshell: Benches are crused.

Things went to trainwreck-vile fast and it's only the 2nd episode. What the hell will the end of this series look like when already like this? lmao

Well Pansy is at least having fun I guess, at Joro's expense of course.

I'd say this turning into a keeper for me, but I'll wait for ep 3 to see if can seal the deal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
I'd say they owe him something. Not a date or a chance at romance or anything like that, just some consideration, recognition that he is a boy just like Sun and he has feelings that could be hurt by their actions. Gender doesn't matter there, whether it's a boy to a girl or a girl to a boy, everyone owes others at least some consideration.
Nah, what they did is entirely normal and friends ask sort of thing all the time. Joro is just salty that his delusional harem plan where he was pretending to be nice to score points fell apart. Even now helping the two girls is primary more about self interest that out of friendship since he just plans to pick the loser. He's not questioning himself if he truly likes either of girls and just wants the idea of having a girlfriend which is one of the things that makes him an ass. As ep 2 shown nearly all of problems in the series so far are of his own making because he is so dishonest with himself and everyone else. For example if he had just told Sun the truth about Pansy liking him this wouldn't turning into his personal hell.

Then again this show wouldn't be entertaining either.

That said the sooner he comes clean and overcomes his flaws the better things will be for him.

Last edited by Applehell; 2019-10-10 at 03:13.
Old 2019-10-10, 08:52   Link #34
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
So now this is a proper love rectangle with Sun-chan being in love with Pansy. As if Joro's life wasn't complicated enough .
Rectangle? It's more like a PENTAGRAM now.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 09:24   Link #35
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Nah, what they did is entirely normal and friends ask sort of thing all the time. Joro is just salty that his delusional harem plan where he was pretending to be nice to score points fell apart. Even now helping the two girls is primary more about self interest that out of friendship since he just plans to pick the loser. He's not questioning himself if he truly likes either of girls and just wants the idea of having a girlfriend which is one of the things that makes him an ass. As ep 2 shown nearly all of problems in the series so far are of his own making because he is so dishonest with himself and everyone else. For example if he had just told Sun the truth about Pansy liking him this wouldn't turning into his personal hell.

Then again this show wouldn't be entertaining either.

That said the sooner he comes clean and overcomes his flaws the better things will be for him.
Thing is, friends don't just take, they give as well. These girls haven't given far as I've seen, they've just dragged Joro around and made him help them out for their own benefit. Himawari doesn't even recognize his existence enough to say she's spent time with people after she spent a day with him. Just look at what they say when they leave. They don't say they don't care about him anymore, or that they don't want to see him anymore, they say they don't NEED him anymore, like he's a tool to be used rather than a friend. And I'd also question whether it's normal or right for friends to show absolutely no interest or consideration to their friends' feelings, to never stop and consider whether their behavior or words might hurt them. Not just to demand aid from a single boy friend but to openly demonstrate that they never thought a girl spending time with him might like him, even immediately assumed that a girl more closely connected to him showing up where he was must be there on another boy's account. Even if the guy had no interest in either of them these sorts of words would sting since they suggested they don't even see him as someone that a girl might love. This's insensitive at best. And it's something that goes both ways. If a guy made these sorts of requests, showed this level of obliviousness and indifference to his presence and feelings, and immediately accepted his crush's unsubstantiated word that his long-term "close friend" had betrayed him, immediately telling her that he had no use for her, I'd call that guy a jerk who doesn't deserve any friends or lovers.

Not to mention that his behavior does not imply a purely selfish reasoning on Joro's part. Yes, he's a jerk who in part wants to get laid and doesn't even care that much which of the two girls he gets. But he's also earnest enough to carry out his promises. I'm not sure he's actually lied aside from trying to downplay his unwanted relationship to Pansy when Sun showed up. Just look at his face as the girls ask him to help, he may not like it but he's serious about helping them. Just look at how furious he got when Pansy started mocking their misfortune. He may be selfish to some extent, but he cares about them and wanted to help, and frankly he's at least been a better friend to them than they have to him.

I'll admit, I might be a little biased since I've read the manga through to the beginning of the next arc. The manga is a bit more clear in demonstrating how much the girls use Joro without consideration toward him, though in turn it also shows that just like Joro has good beneath the bad, they have some concern for him deep down as I mentioned earlier. It's just that, as I've said, they're too caught up in themselves to really pay attention to friends they should appreciate.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2019-10-10 at 11:12.
Old 2019-10-11, 14:42   Link #36
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Thing is, friends don't just take, they give as well. These girls haven't given far as I've seen, they've just dragged Joro around and made him help them out for their own benefit. Himawari doesn't even recognize his existence enough to say she's spent time with people after she spent a day with him. Just look at what they say when they leave. They don't say they don't care about him anymore, or that they don't want to see him anymore, they say they don't NEED him anymore, like he's a tool to be used rather than a friend. And I'd also question whether it's normal or right for friends to show absolutely no interest or consideration to their friends' feelings, to never stop and consider whether their behavior or words might hurt them. Not just to demand aid from a single boy friend but to openly demonstrate that they never thought a girl spending time with him might like him, even immediately assumed that a girl more closely connected to him showing up where he was must be there on another boy's account. Even if the guy had no interest in either of them these sorts of words would sting since they suggested they don't even see him as someone that a girl might love. This's insensitive at best. And it's something that goes both ways. If a guy made these sorts of requests, showed this level of obliviousness and indifference to his presence and feelings, and immediately accepted his crush's unsubstantiated word that his long-term "close friend" had betrayed him, immediately telling her that he had no use for her, I'd call that guy a jerk who doesn't deserve any friends or lovers.
What the hell does give and take mean in this context? Should they be forced to go out on a date with him? Have him ogle them and touch them inappropriately against their wishes as he wants? This is not some business transaction here, it's literally just innocuous request that is Joro is free to turn down as he did with Sun, from a friend not a acquaintance or stranger. Himawari didn't ignore his existence either. Before and after she confessed her feelings for Sun her personal relationship with him didn't change, they still walked to school together in the morning and as well hang out together while he willingly assists her trying to setup romantic encounters with Sun.

Joro chose to pick this up despite his own reservations and the only thing you got for him for defend is some stupid genederlism. Nevermind he never noticed girls feelings and yet your arguing Joro is the one who needs the consideration when he provided none before they asked him for help. The only line I could throw him here is perhaps Cosmos should have stressed more that it wasn't date, but in no sane universe would what Cosmos and Himawari did be close to treating anyone like a tool or betrayal beyond that of an entitled person.

Quote:
Not to mention that his behavior does not imply a purely selfish reasoning on Joro's part. Yes, he's a jerk who in part wants to get laid and doesn't even care that much which of the two girls he gets. But he's also earnest enough to carry out his promises. I'm not sure he's actually lied aside from trying to downplay his unwanted relationship to Pansy when Sun showed up. Just look at his face as the girls ask him to help, he may not like it but he's serious about helping them. Just look at how furious he got when Pansy started mocking their misfortune. He may be selfish to some extent, but he cares about them and wanted to help, and frankly he's at least been a better friend to them than they have to him.

I'll admit, I might be a little biased since I've read the manga through to the beginning of the next arc. The manga is a bit more clear in demonstrating how much the girls use Joro without consideration toward him, though in turn it also shows that just like Joro has good beneath the bad, they have some concern for him deep down as I mentioned earlier. It's just that, as I've said, they're too caught up in themselves to really pay attention to friends they should appreciate.
He's reasoning is purely selfish and biased. The only thing Joro's got going for him right now is that he at least actually putting some effort into his support and some of the problems is just unfortunate misunderstanding. But everyone is at least being upfront about their feelings and desires but him while Joro is projecting his insecurities on them. Even if girls turn out to be not so good later, it will not fundamentally change how ridiculously self-serving his thinking is especially because it lacks an valid excuse such him having real feelings for them. It even still wouldn't make him look great, but it better than him working to get in their panties because he is a dude.

Fact of the matter is Cosmos, Himawari and Pansy all the right to have agency to like who their want and entirely allow to ask friend for help in it. Joro himself has the same agency and can turned down helping them if too much of a conflict if he wants. He can't choose to do it and then go complain everyone is being unfair to him. You can't have your cake and eat it. He's an egocentric asshole for the most part, period.
Old 2019-10-11, 16:01   Link #37
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Well, that's the point, every single one of them is egocentric asshole, the girls too.
Old 2019-10-11, 16:12   Link #38
Applehell

Sure, but it doesn't change my underlying point. I'm just hoping the series doesn't justify his own behavior that way. Other people being crap doesn't mean he needs to be crap or absolves him of it.
Old 2019-10-11, 16:17   Link #39
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Wait, you agree? Then what's your underlying point again? That friends act like egocentric asshole towards each other? I honestly thought you were just being an sjw because you seem to bend over backwards to criticize Joro but absolved the girls.
Old 2019-10-11, 17:01   Link #40
Applehell

My principal is that people should respect each others as long there no actual harm involved. Forcibly imposing your ideals on to someone else and acting like they betrayed you when they don't meet your expectations they never intended to in the first place or take in that way is stupid and toxic. If the girls don't really care about him that is different issue than their actions themselves.

I've had a female friend ask me to hook them up with someone and similar things happened among group of friends I've wittiness and nobody had problem with it. It doesn't her bitch or me a tool. That where my problem Joro lies and why the girls being manipulative doesn't change that. You can write the same story including his cynicism without implying actions like these somehow make you terrible or insensitive. At best this just means their taking advantage of norms to push their selfish behavior not that the norms are bad in itself. So if it is true that what I hope the show calls them out for.

Tags
harem