Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-10-09, 07:42   Link #121
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Can we please get off this topic already and talk about the actual show.
Yes, but we only have one episode to discuss and I believe most angles have already been explored. So, can you suggest some other things to talk about that doesn't require knowledge of the source material for anime-only newcomers like me?
Old 2019-10-09, 07:57   Link #122
Marina2

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2019-10-09, 13:17   Link #123
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
So Duke Nukem (I don't care what his actual name is, that char is Duke Nukem - period) gets all the Focus in Muv-Luv Alternative? I beg to differ.
I didn't waste my time with Alternative, but I did watch Total Eclipse and Yuya did take most of the focus after he showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I'm not saying a commander is a priority or anything. But KC anime already did focus mostly on the ship-girls and the result is a flop TV series quality-wise. It's damn boring. Let's hope they have good writing & execution to back whatever they try to do with AL.
KC was boring because Fubuki was boring. It had nothing to do with lack of commander. Also, it still sold 20K so from a commercial perspective, which is what the producers care about, it was a success.
Old 2019-10-09, 14:29   Link #124
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I didn't waste my time with Alternative, but I did watch Total Eclipse and Yuya did take most of the focus after he showed up.

KC was boring because Fubuki was boring. It had nothing to do with lack of commander. Also, it still sold 20K so from a commercial perspective, which is what the producers care about, it was a success.
It was "Alternative Total Eclipse", my bad.
Point being that Duke was their commander, and yet didn't steal the character's spotlight. Fun enough, it's the same in Duke Nukem - There is a General character commanding him too, yet he isn't taking Duke's spotlight at any point of time.

So yeah, they could easily do that for AL.

As for KC:
Spoiler for Fubuki, the uninteresting main char:

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 17:31   Link #125
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
I'm not saying a commander is a priority or anything. But KC anime already did focus mostly on the ship-girls and the result is a flop TV series quality-wise. It's damn boring. Let's hope they have good writing & execution to back whatever they try to do with AL.
boring? that is a subjective opinion. Our group was entertained from start to finish (mostly by Kongou-san and her eating habits, and her engrish ohoho the way she says Buki ). The reason I'm here is because Kancolle entertained me years ago, so need moar ship girls. Well, of course our opinion is subjective as well (our cosplay group is only 5 people) But as someone already said it sold a lot, those who bought product were also not bored with it or they would not have spent money.

Also all this commander talk is hopefully calmed down a bit on the next 2 or 3 episodes.
It's probably still going on because some people think there is still a chance for him to appear.

Spoiler for loading screen desu :3:

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2019-10-09 at 18:13. Reason: added image
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 20:10   Link #126
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Also, it still sold 20K so from a commercial perspective, which is what the producers care about, it was a success.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
Well, of course our opinion is subjective as well (our cosplay group is only 5 people) But as someone already said it sold a lot, those who bought product were also not bored with it or they would not have spent money.
I don't measure the quality of an anime by its sales. Remember, Infinite Stratos 2 became one of the best-selling anime of the season (if not the year) it was aired simply due to the power of fans alone even though the story quality is as braindead as a lobotomized patient (which many fans themselves agreed).
Old 2019-10-09, 20:15   Link #127
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
I don't measure the quality of an anime by its sales.
wait, what?

Well, I'd like to continue the discussion, but this would just go further into a battle of opinions which would go nowhere. So I'm out.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2019-10-09 at 20:29.
Old 2019-10-09, 21:56   Link #128
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
Can we please get off this topic already and talk about the actual show.
Don't worry, new episode coming up

Quote:
Yeah, why KC (anime) is considered so bad fans ignore its existence has been discussed quite thoroughly since it happened.
...And it most certainly wasn't just because Fubuki was boring.

Quote:
wait, what?
For example, that's be like saying One Piece is better than any late-night anime. Of course, maybe you do find stuff better when you learn it sold more... perhaps? You'd have to change your mind retrospectively, which is weird to me though.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-09, 22:18   Link #129
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
...And it most certainly wasn't just because Fubuki was boring.
To keep things exciting, I'm going to rock the boat and say Fubuki was actually quite interesting: I rather liked her character because she was unremarkable and thus, came be represent what it's like dealing with a cast of eccentric and unique characters. How's that for exciting?

Returning to Azur Lane, I'm looking forwards to seeing where the series as a whole is going. Whether there is an admiral or not, I wager will be totally irrelevant.
Old 2019-10-09, 22:32   Link #130
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
wait, what?
Because in the world of entertainment industry, even garbage-quality story can sell for millions. Remember Twilight movies? Remember 50 Shades of Gray? Remember Bayformers sequels? Yeah...
Old 2019-10-10, 03:55   Link #131
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
I don't measure the quality of an anime by its sales. Remember, Infinite Stratos 2 became one of the best-selling anime of the season (if not the year) it was aired simply due to the power of fans alone even though the story quality is as braindead as a lobotomized patient (which many fans themselves agreed).
alright, I already left the convo to diffuse the tension. But if you insist... ok, you are strawmanning so hard. Infinite Stratos is not Kancolle. Please provide evidence that the same thing ever happened to Kancolle.

Quote:
Because in the world of entertainment industry, even garbage-quality story can sell for millions. Remember Twilight movies? Remember 50 Shades of Gray? Remember Bayformers sequels? Yeah...
please read my response to your Infinite Stratos example.
Old 2019-10-10, 05:38   Link #132
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
alright, I already left the convo to diffuse the tension. But if you insist... ok, you are strawmanning so hard. Infinite Stratos is not Kancolle. Please provide evidence that the same thing ever happened to Kancolle.
TL;DR…

Old 2019-10-10, 07:32   Link #133
Tenzen12

Well, IS2 might be terrible show, but honestly unlike Cancolle it could be at least finished to the end.
Old 2019-10-10, 09:22   Link #134
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
TL;DR…

and the reason I replied that way is I saw your mention of IF2 is to try to throw dirt on Kancolle good sales by trying to equate it with IF2. Sorry if I came off as hostile.. saw that as an insult, because I buy stuff when I like an anime. Anyway, a mod might be looking at these off topic convos, so I'm stopping now.

uploading one more Azur Lane pic to try to keep on topic.

Spoiler for characters in the anime:

/ cooling down now with some good sleep

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2019-10-10 at 16:46.
Old 2019-10-10, 10:12   Link #135
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Now Ironblood joins the the conflict.
Enty can't get a break and has to carry everything.
At least Brits didn't arrive late unlike previous episode.
Old 2019-10-10, 10:43   Link #136
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Enty can't get a break and has to carry everything.
It's more like she forces herself to carry everything. She has to get over her PTSD and learn to trust others. I guess that's what her character arc will be about.

In any case, it was a nice episode. There was more fanservice though, but I guess it makes it clear what kind of show it wants to be.
Old 2019-10-10, 11:45   Link #137
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well, IS2 might be terrible show, but honestly unlike Cancolle it could be at least finished to the end.
huh? Kankolle did get finished to the end and even had a 5D movie
Furthermore it's getting a second season somewhere this or next year.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-10, 13:50   Link #138
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Second episode held up pretty well. A nice maid rescue at the end of the episode . No doubt Enterprise had been pushing it too hard and had reached a breaking point. The will was there, but the 'body' wasn't quite as willing. Hopefully the reinforcements go beyond one ship. Things are still a bit dicey out there.

Poor San Diego got wrecked in the previous episode. Will take some time to patch her up. Not that she's alone. Quite a few characters took a beating. That ambush was rather effective and put individuals like Hammann into a rough spot.

And they are doing a decent job keeping the attention divided between the two sides. Not ignoring what is going on in the heads of the characters in the enemy camp.
Old 2019-10-10, 15:54   Link #139
xeviouses

I'll be honest: I'm really just watching this for Javelin. Love her in-game, love her in the anime.
Old 2019-10-10, 16:28   Link #140
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Now we see Shoukaku and Zuikaku, the crane sisters. For those that didn't know, Sakura Empire has a theme among their shipgirls, in that they have either horns or animal ears. As you can see, the crane sisters have neither of those BUT, that is after the character redesign. They originally had long droopy ears like in Utawarerumono (maybe they dropped it because it's too similar to Utawarerumono?).
Btw, I have heard that "little demons" was a deregatory term that the Chinese had against the Japanese during the war, so maybe all the horns and animal ears are a reference to that. Though obviously, far from being insulting, nowadays it's just making the girls look cuter. Maybe it's also a way to bury the hatchet so to speak, "look at what we used to call you, pretty stupid right? let's just get along".

And then we have Belfast appearing at the end. The chief maid of the Royal Navy. Voiced by Horie Yui in her very rare "cool" range and not the usual cute and moe range. As an aside, she (the actual ship) survived WW2 and is now permanently moored in the Thames London as a museum, so you can come inside her if you want :nudgenudgewinkwink:.

Also, you might notice that Royal has a noble and maids theme, and as I said Sakura has an animal ears/horns theme, and Iron Blood obviously is military themed, Union doesn't really have an overarching theme as far as I know. Case in point, Hammann, she's a Union ship, but is dressed like a maid as if from Royal, and has animal ears like Sakura. And then Hornet, sister ship to Enterprise has a cowboy/wild-west theme. I guess it reflects the diversity of America.

Tags
sea battles, ship girls