AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

View Poll Results: Who is the best girl?
Ichika 14 7.69%
Nino 30 16.48%
Miku 95 52.20%
Yotsuba 23 12.64%
Itsuki 18 9.89%
Other 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2019-12-09, 06:00   Link #4541
Hakai

Somehow this chapter managed to cause more salt than the previous one

I guess a lot of people were still hoping for a bait and switch and this chapter ended everything for good
Old 2019-12-09, 06:21   Link #4542
devil_slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
What's up with Itsuki anyway?
"You can only go to one room"
"There's only one way for you to go"

It feels like she's orchestrating everything. Was there really a need to push her being Yotsuba's wingwoman this hard when everything is already decided? Her fans wanted her to win too.
In this chapter especially. It's not like he was going to go "Welp, she rejected me and ran away. I better go to my 2nd choice".
That's actually funny though, who would have been Fuutarou's 2nd choice if she rejected him for real?

===============

We should begin seeing burned manga volumes soon.
devil_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 08:06   Link #4543
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Sin View Post
Somehow this chapter managed to cause more salt than the previous one

I guess a lot of people were still hoping for a bait and switch and this chapter ended everything for good
Serves them right to those ret*rds.
Old 2019-12-09, 08:10   Link #4544
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^^There's no fallback girl in shounen romcom tho
Either 1st choice or forever alone
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 09:35   Link #4545
Ichinotachi

I'm so happy that this wasn't bait and switch but just a confirmation of the previous chapter, is nice to see the meltdown on /a/ but what can you expect from those monkeys. There is no reason to be mad at all after Yotsuba won because she's the safe option, the only reason to be mad at negi is his terrible writing and how most of the manga went right into the trash in a couple of chapters after the huge amount of time he spent developing 3 quints.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 10:22   Link #4546
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichinotachi View Post
I'm so happy that this wasn't bait and switch but just a confirmation of the previous chapter, is nice to see the meltdown on /a/ but what can you expect from those monkeys. There is no reason to be mad at all after Yotsuba won because she's the safe option, the only reason to be mad at negi is his terrible writing and how most of the manga went right into the trash in a couple of chapters after the huge amount of time he spent developing 3 quints.
I don't see how having 1 of them win invalidate other characters development. Other sisters have a story to tell and the future to see. This rejection is just part of their story.

Negi has a hard time to balance all 5 sisters in the story. The central mystery is to guess who is the bride he need to ensure no girl have an overwhelming lead. Otherwise is become obvious who is the winning girl like what other harem romcoms do. I say Negi successfully writing this. Could be better? sure. But I won't say he did a terrible job.

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 11:00   Link #4547
Ichinotachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
I don't see how having 1 of them win invalidate other characters development. Other sisters have a story to tell and the future to see. This rejection is just part of their story.

Negi has a hard time to balance all 5 sisters in the story. The central mystery is to guess who is the bride he need to ensure no girl have an overwhelming lead. Otherwise is become obvious who is the winning girl like what other harem romcoms do. I say Negi successfully writing this. Could be better? sure. But I won't say he did a terrible job.
You got the first part of my comment completely wrong, I'm pointing out the fact that most of the rabid fanbase of this manga are fighting each other just because their girl lost insted of understanding that Yotsuba winning is a good thing.

Now what happened here is the same thing that happened on Nisekoi but a little bit better, what I mean by that is having the author spending a huge amount of time with any other girl, giving them a huge amount of character development and meaningful interactions with the MC just to suddenly pick the girl he never touched through the entire manga, but as I said this is a bit better and the reason for that is because Yotsuba got some degree of character development that can at least justify her being the winner even if she's not even close to Nino, Miku or Ichika when it comes to that. This is the reason why I'm glad she won and the fact that we avoided WW3 thanks to Negi, imagine if Itsuki was the winner, then we're going to have people killing each other.

Negi overall did a mediocre job, especially with the last few arcs before the reveal, is not as bad as other manga like Nisekoi but that doesn't make it any better.
Ichinotachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 12:59   Link #4548
devil_slayer

Spoiler for Tweet:

Negi was so salty from childhood friends losing all the time he went and made the best selling f*CKING romcom just to hand the Genki childhood friend the win.

This is poetry at it finset~
Old 2019-12-09, 13:11   Link #4549
Chosen_Hero

Pretty funny how I see a lot of people saying that there wasn't any bait and switch without realizing that the entire series one big bait and switch.
Old 2019-12-09, 14:46   Link #4550
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
It doesn't invalidate character development, it invalidates them as love interests from the get go, because if something, the chapter straight up tells us that Fuutarou was in love with Yotsuba for a long time now, meaning nothing have mattered for him when it comes to the others' romantic feelings. Too bad Negi actually suggested the opposite with all the blushes for them, and the lack for Yotsuba, only for people to call this subversion. If Yotsuba wouldn't have joked out off from her confession in Chapter 21, she would have won there. It further cements the theory that what Fuutarou wanted to tell Rena in Chapter 42 is that Yotsuba is in love with him, but he is probably overthinking it. Yotsuba won before all of the developments of the others concluded. It's insulting to the fullest, especially with Chapter 21, where Fuutarou says that Yotsuba is the only straightforward and honest quint, when it's actually the opposite. He was indeed gave her too much credit there, when only what mattered is that she was the first to join the study session thanks to prior knowledge about him and meeting him in the past.

Miku: Thinks she is not special, they should be equal. Fuutarou says there is nothing wrong with that, but they shouldn't invalidate efforts, let's be fair. Abandons equality and does everything in her power for her love the bear fruit. Turns out she was indeed not special.
Yotsuba: After losing Rena, becoming special is her ego trip, looks down on the other sisters. Reality check happens, but she doesn't start from scratch. She thinks during the entire manga that she is special, and she shouldn't be the only one. Turns out she was indeed the only one.

Lastly, Fuutarou's confession was really reeked of the necessary complex. If a girl have goals, dreams, she is out. If Fuutarou doesn't need to help her over and over again, she is out. What he described there is some OreGairu-esque codependency bullshit.

Oh, one more thing actually. Even Itsuki not winning feels hollow to me now. First girl curse got broken and childhood friend won? Yay! But with not a fair fight, only with first girl being the only non-love interest during the entire manga from the heroines. The trope First Girl After All came out on top. Even if you take a look at the cover of Volume 1, it's basically: Itsuki is main heroine bait, Yotsuba is the main heroine, let's obscure the other three as much as possible.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 16:08   Link #4551
elior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Pretty funny how I see a lot of people saying that there wasn't any bait and switch without realizing that the entire series one big bait and switch.
yes lot of people were thinking negi will choose itsuki in the end but it was a bait all along
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 16:30   Link #4552

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
She thinks during the entire manga that she is special, and she shouldn't be the only one.
For me it came out like she's awfully full of herself. Like she thought that no other sister would stand a chance if she revealed who she was.
Well, she didn't even need to do that.

Quote:
Itsuki is being team mom as she always is.
Itsuki was never the team mom.
256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 16:36   Link #4553
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
yes lot of people were thinking negi will choose itsuki in the end but it was a bait all along

It's not that they were thinking she will be chosen. They were afraid it would be the case as in worst possible scenario. It's more about general cynism then actual reasons or authors intent.

To be fair Negi not being exactly stelar writter could intend make Itsuki clear favourite and use her as bait and just failed like he did with many other part of story, but... come on... give him at least bit of benefit of doubt. This is one of very few instances where it's still possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256 View Post
Itsuki was never the team mom.
Which never stopped her from trying...
Old 2019-12-09, 17:21   Link #4554
Endless_Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
because if something, the chapter straight up tells us that Fuutarou was in love with Yotsuba for a long time now, meaning nothing have mattered for him when it comes to the others' romantic feelings.
it's just retrospect vision WingedAccelerator. He only realized his love for Yotsuba after remembering all the times she supported him and all the shenanigans he had together with her. These things don't happen on the spot but they just "click" when you start thinking back from your memories. I mean, do you think the studious maniac Fuutarou from the start would have cared about love? Even in the previous chapter to this he says that his past self was only interested in studying. The only thing that "might" have gotten his attention back then is if Yotsuba pulled the "I'm the Girl you met Six years ago" card.
Endless_Despair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 17:37   Link #4555
WingedAccelerator

The studious Fuutarou meme already got countered in Chapter 3, when he was grinning like an idiot from the thought that Miku is going to confess to him. He showed up, didn't throw away her letter and went home. Or in Chapter 7 where Raiha forced the Itsuki/family date on him and he was embarrased from the thought they are posing as a family for a picture. Fact is, he took Yotsuba's confession seriously, despite the narration and it was in his mind all along. Fact is, in Chapter 81 when he was talking with Yotsuba on the bus about making a choice, it's clear that he was already planned to choose her if the time ever comes. It was over pretty early on, and it all thanks to Yotsuba being the first to accept him thanks to their past. That's all about it.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-09, 17:57   Link #4556
devil_slayer

Just because he was embarrassed by the fact he was going to pose as a family with Itsuki doesn't mean he was interested in her. Like come on, you are basically saying a teenager kid can't blush or feel awkward when he's around a girl his age just because he isn't interested in a relationship. Fuutarou isn't asexual lol, he just restricted himself from such distraction so he can focus on his studies but that doesn't he was immune to everything.

I will give you that he seemed genuinely excited about Miku confessing to him on the rooftop but even that doesn't exactly proof that would have just played along with it.
Old 2019-12-09, 17:59   Link #4557
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

^^Exactly.

^No. He was vehement about romance in the beginning of the manga which made him into an interesting MC. His actions are inconsistent and often tactless.

Side note: Yotsuba didn't even try. How come MALers put Uruka and Yotsuba in the same platform makes me roll my eyes.
Old 2019-12-09, 19:26   Link #4558
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanimebib View Post
^^Exactly.

^No. He was vehement about romance in the beginning of the manga which made him into an interesting MC. His actions are inconsistent and often tactless.

Side note: Yotsuba didn't even try. How come MALers put Uruka and Yotsuba in the same platform makes me roll my eyes.
Because it's easier for them to be ignorant of the flaws in the writing than it is to go against the character they supported and call out the obvious bs after they won, I guess.
Old 2019-12-09, 19:43   Link #4559
devil_slayer

Everyone is being so negative here. What would have been a better option? Nino? Because I really can't think of any other realistic option here.

No one likes Ichika.

Miku's character arc has been building toward her moving from Fuutarou for a while now.

Itsuki doesn't even love him.

I agree that Yustuba was on the sidelines for far too long and having Fuutarou pick her is spite in the face of the other 3 who been fighting over him like cats but any option would have caused a meltdown.

I think the reason why the decision feels so sudden and undeveloped is that the author never lets us dive into Fuutarou's mind and see for ourselves what he thinks of or knows what he feels. The author brought himself to the corner with how he made Fuutarou a shallow of an MC just to keep the mystery going. Not once did Fuutarou's interaction with Youtuba give us the immersion that he fell for her, but the same can be said about the other 4 sisters really. Nino and Nino 2.0 "Miku" were harassing him for a while now but not once did he ever think of returning their feelings, everything is so vague and misleading on a purpose just keep the mystery going
Old 2019-12-09, 19:59   Link #4560
shanimebib
Neo Venezia-jin

^No. People would be salty if either Miku or Nino won but the respective fanbases would have ways to defend themselves because of their character growth.

Yotsuba fans cannot even defend her being the chosen one other than her being the girl from the past. Everything just ties it to that link and that's that. Nothing of the present. And that's Negi's fault.

Onodera didn't even verify the past incidents and was just rude to Ishiga- Oops wrong thread!

Tags
dumpster fire, first girl after all, harem, privileged main heroine, quintuplets, retcon, student-tutor, train wreck