Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^You forgot Miso

There are hybrid races based of Human + X
Like Half Elves, Half Dwarves
The Half Thing is always Human

It's very rare to see the Half being another race than Human
Only in Kanna and Nagaikoto I guess? There's Half Elf-Half Draconian

The attachment to being Human is too strong in this one
I’ve seen a story where the MC is a golden dragon+titan.He has three forms, a golden dragon form,titan form and a hybrid form. The hybrid form is basically him being a titan but with wings and golden dragon scale as armour.
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 10:15   Link #9162
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^And Dragon and Titan societies are very different from humanity so the plot development is very exciting?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 12:17   Link #9163
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Fanta View Post
The evil of slavery is that the slave is expected to not only please their master physically,but mentally as well.What you described is basically the ‘idealized’ version of slavery where the master is reasonable as long as the slave worked hard.Does not really work that way.
Nope, more than the idealized version I describe slavery as absolute disdain for the slaves. It's not that their social standing is worse than animals, they ARE lower than animals for everyone. Idiots might stroke their ego by torturing the homeless, but it takes a "special" character to highen your ego by torturing a cow. Idiotic, aggressive drunkard might beat his slave because of petty reasons (getting in his way), but he won't purposefully seek to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garn View Post
I still do not understand why in several novels the protagonist has problems losing his humanity
The most common example is in Isekai novels when the MC can choose race is always human or something that differs almost nothing from a human
And there is never anything negative about not being human apart from not being able to do H but this is also temporary.
I also feel that it's oftentimes absolutely stupid how much the MCs are attached to being humans (not being humanoids, that one is understandable for many reasons). Some annoying examples would be monogatari (good series, but what does he have against being strong + long living in exchange for nothing?) or this anime season's Kyokou Suir. Like seriously? The girl is gonna cause ample murders and whatnot because she doesn't want to be immortal (possibly only against wounds, not age) and have power to change the future (which she doesn't need to use if she doesn't want)? And the MC in that one is also acting as if just not being technically human is some great tragedy...

My favorite attitude was the MC from Dracu Riot (VN), he gets turned into a vampire and the way he reasons whether it's a good thing or not is just great (actually, that's the most memorable scene from that one for me, even though it was kind of in the beginning).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 12:27   Link #9164
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^There's no downside at all for having the power of Mermaid and Kudan

Why not choose Elf if Race Selection is available?

That's basically Human + Super Pretty + Spirit Magic + Very Long Lifespan
Old 2020-04-02, 12:34   Link #9165
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
I also feel that it's oftentimes absolutely stupid how much the MCs are attached to being humans (not being humanoids, that one is understandable for many reasons). Some annoying examples would be monogatari (good series, but what does he have against being strong + long living in exchange for nothing?)
If I had to live forever without seeing the sun, I might not want to do it either.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 13:28   Link #9166
Garn

The only good thing is spiritual magic, longevity and beauty are not unique to elves and are not unattainable in a fantasy world
Although an elf would be better than a dwarf
It would be better human + something else, to get out of the monotony

On the other hand lately I want more romance in the novels
The poor development or the silly cliches with comedy has made me thirsty for something that before I did not give much importance

Last edited by Garn; 2020-04-02 at 13:53.
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 14:23   Link #9167
Rasty

^ Welcome between us. It's not so bad for the first couple (or dozens) of series you read, but after a while, anyone starts hating the ecchi and fanclub style novels.

^^ I haven't read (just watched) Monogatari, but the loli vampire seemed OK with the sun (just weak). Hell, my skin is so sensitive to the sun, that I can't spend much time outside in the summer without sunscreen or shade anyway (mild climate) so I wouldn't mind.

Elves seem to be a safe choice, demons depend on setting but would definitely make for a much better story (I don't mean OP Maou reincarnation, I mean starting from low level and climbing the ladder).
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 14:30   Link #9168
dragon1412

No in Monogatari case it is pretty understandable, even Shinobu in full vampire form got burned instantly when seeing the sun, it just that her own regen exceed the speed which the sun burn her, but either way, there is some price for that in Monogatari case, though currently he is effectively half vampire anyway so his lifespan still longer than human.

But I mostly agree about the elf discussion, Elf is simply way superior in almost every aspect of the comparison, don't understand the whole attachment to human thing as well
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 16:20   Link #9169
kari-no-sugata II

Elves and any long lived races would be particularly good in world with level system or similar. The benefits become bigger with time either way. Unless you're in the world of "so I'm a spider so what" at least, where being an elf is a terrible option.

An idea I had for a character/story once involved an elf-like character. She's abandoned as a child and brought up at an orphanage before being sold to a nobleman to be a companion to his daughter and sort-of maid as well (and mistress). Although she's technically a slave, she's treated well (since she's competent) but she's also very passive. Despite that, over the years and generations she slowly gains power because in later generations she's basically both a family heirloom and because she helped raise the entire family - she's a bit like a mother to all of them. In a way, it's a story about the rise and fall of a noble family over several hundred years, as seen from a single person.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-02, 16:27   Link #9170
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
^And Dragon and Titan societies are very different from humanity so the plot development is very exciting?
Indeed. The MC’s family is OP as fuck and their interaction’s funny as hell too. Lots of tough love.It consists of throwing their children out at a young age(for dragons not humans) because they are meant to be born with the memories of an adult and that parents only take care of ‘em till they are strong enough to handle ‘minor’ threats.That and passing their debts to them as well because they are too OP to handle it *and to train up the young*. The MC’s Golden Dragon grandfather once had the MC honour his debt to a human king because he got so OP that he’s almost on the tier of a god, which meant that he could no longer be summoned.The MC as his next of kin(his mother was too damned busy) got summoned instead to honour his grandfather’s promise of help. Time in the story also flows really quickly as the MC,like other dragons,frequently had to hibernate for at least a decade after working themselves hard.

Last edited by Avrorrange; 2020-04-02 at 16:49.
Old 2020-04-02, 21:18   Link #9171
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Link please, seems very interesting

^^That's like the plot of "A Stepmother's Märchen" but the MC is an elf and multiple generations, eh?
So she's also the plaything of that family's patriarchs of each generation? Very exciting~

Oh well, the risk of Elf reincarnation is being enslaved as sex toy
Old 2020-04-02, 23:23   Link #9172
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
No in Monogatari case it is pretty understandable, even Shinobu in full vampire form got burned instantly when seeing the sun, it just that her own regen exceed the speed which the sun burn her, but either way, there is some price for that in Monogatari case, though currently he is effectively half vampire anyway so his lifespan still longer than human.

But I mostly agree about the elf discussion, Elf is simply way superior in almost every aspect of the comparison, don't understand the whole attachment to human thing as well
I completely disagree with elf discussion. Long lifespan and strong magic is nothing compared suffering from being forced live with bunch on narcissistic picks, with flat women (nothing against justice, but having choice is important) and worst of all, vegetarians !

Not worth.
Old 2020-04-02, 23:39   Link #9173
pervypig

Strange wen you play games, elves/dragon/dwarf races get nerfbombed too p*ssy level for the sake of balance, and yet in WN/LN, they rig them up so much that it’s broken - and then give the MC even more ridiculous OP powers... as an ordinary high school kid.

With the amount of literature with identical tropes, there ought to be a race called “ordinary TUEE high schoolers” instead.
pervypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-03, 00:08   Link #9174
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
^^That's like the plot of "A Stepmother's Märchen" but the MC is an elf and multiple generations, eh?
So she's also the plaything of that family's patriarchs of each generation? Very exciting~
Kinda main concept was "would you trade your freedom for security and what would that do to you very long term". Rather than being a simple slave the MC is actually under contract to the head of the household and it can transfer across generations - MC is stuck until the family dies out.

Yes, would be more like a plaything earlier on but for later generations, MC would be like substitute mother, then older sister, then first lover for them and due to that is able to have a lot of influence on how they grow up, though in subtle ways.

Quote:
Oh well, the risk of Elf reincarnation is being enslaved as sex toy
If you grow up as an elf, don't leave the village until you're OP (by human standards)...
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-03, 02:09   Link #9175
Tenzen12

Depending on setting that can take several thousand years of doing nothing though...
Old 2020-04-03, 02:40   Link #9176
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Flat Vegan Tree Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
Yes, would be more like a plaything earlier on but for later generations, MC would be like substitute mother, then older sister, then first lover for them and due to that is able to have a lot of influence on how they grow up, though in subtle ways.
So kinky! I love it~
Old 2020-04-03, 05:39   Link #9177
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pervypig View Post
Strange wen you play games, elves/dragon/dwarf races get nerfbombed too p*ssy level for the sake of balance, and yet in WN/LN, they rig them up so much that it’s broken - and then give the MC even more ridiculous OP powers... as an ordinary high school kid.

With the amount of literature with identical tropes, there ought to be a race called “ordinary TUEE high schoolers” instead.
It’s called gameplay design vs lore.In TES V for example the high elves can be killed just like other races. In game lore however states that the empire almost got destroyed by the elves despite the elves being on the offensive and heavily outnumbered.

Elves survived despite heavily outnumbered for a reason. They have more than a lifetime of time to educate their children.And in many other fantasy settings, they have superhuman abilities and higher disposition towards magic as well.
Old 2020-04-03, 06:32   Link #9178
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^What's the title for that Golden Dragon?

Btw, are there any novels where they show the implication for MC getting hit by vehicle to their death?
Like the driver got imprisoned or MC's family in despair, etc etc
Old 2020-04-03, 10:47   Link #9179
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
^What's the title for that Golden Dragon?

Btw, are there any novels where they show the implication for MC getting hit by vehicle to their death?
Like the driver got imprisoned or MC's family in despair, etc etc
CN title.It’s name is literally Titan and Dragon King.It currently ranks number one in terms of epic fantasy on qidian.

https://book.qidian.com/info/1013262816
Old 2020-04-03, 11:02   Link #9180
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Fanta View Post
CN title.It’s name is literally Titan and Dragon King.It currently ranks number one in terms of epic fantasy on qidian.

https://book.qidian.com/info/1013262816
I can't read RAW CN bakayarou!!!

Oh yeah, what's up with Isekai always have an eastern country that is not-Japan

Tags
web novel