Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2020-06-11, 09:23   Link #161
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
they normally "break the rules" not to be violent to "innocent peoples" or angry peoples they normally do that with "bandits"
The point is that police officers should not be breaking the rules at all, and they certainly shouldn't be lionized for it.

Quote:
and things like that while normally the guys which "follow" the rules" are in many cases corrupts using loopholes of the law to work with the "bad guy" in the movie,
I wasn't talking about corrupt cops, I was talking about institutions like Internal Affairs, who are routinely treated with contempt by protagonists of these shows for doing their jobs.

Quote:
the series or movies normally don't make polices like the guy in floyid killing heroes,
Yes, they do. Police officers that engage in excessive force against suspects are often heroes in many TV shows and movies

Quote:
even with that in mind, it's still a form of "art" and entertainment" and not just because "you don't like it" it give you rights to "boss others "to stop it" because you hate, specially in this case were is clear which peoples are using the whole situation to try to "take away" what they don't like,
No one is telling anybody to stop watching anything, people are simply critiquing the difference between how media shows policing and how it is in reality and how that effects law enforcement in real life.

Quote:
another case of things going crazy was the actor of elongated man from the fash serie, he was fired in exactly the same way of james gun case, "a long time ag"( like 8 to 6 years ago)
He was 26 years old when he made those tweets, how long ago it was doesn't matter. He should have known better.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2020-06-11, 10:08   Link #162
Jaden

Well, the last Hollywood show I saw that prominently features police was The Wire, and I must say it was more an indictment of the police than a glorification.

Even in the classic action movies, and the noir thrillers adapted from Chandler's novels and so on...the hero is typically a PI or someone without any badge, a heroic Randian individual who has to swoop in and save the day because the police are too corrupt and/or incompetent.

No doubt there's plenty of works featuring police heroes that I just haven't seen, but at least there is also a counter-balance.
Old 2020-06-11, 11:44   Link #163
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
The point is that police officers should not be breaking the rules at all, and they certainly shouldn't be lionized for it.
well remember even in real life sometimes you somehow "have to break the rules" like in some extreme cases were lives are at stake like someone holding and threatning a hostage and you don't have too much time to think "about the rules", for me what is matter is more like "when and were you must do something like that.

Quote:
I wasn't talking about corrupt cops, I was talking about institutions like Internal Affairs, who are routinely treated with contempt by protagonists of these shows for doing their jobs.
hmm fair

Quote:
Yes, they do. Police officers that engage in excessive force against suspects are often heroes in many TV shows and movies
maybe "anti heroes", but really "heroes" i really don't recall many movies or any movie were a "cop" was show as a "hero" doing this sort of nasty thing it is more common with anti-hero types.

[quote]
No one is telling anybody to stop watching anything, people are simply critiquing the difference between how media shows policing and how it is in reality and how that effects law enforcement in real life. [quote]
actually they are if you go look at the "nasty war place called twitter and some "media" like kotaku and others you gonna see peoples demmand that sort of "movies/series to be "terminated and anyone which enjoy watch this being turned in "monsters, racist you know all the "ists" possibles, because now cops for them become the same as nazis.

Quote:
He was 26 years old when he made those tweets, how long ago it was doesn't matter. He should have known better.
that was another time were things like that could not be seeying as terrible as today and they were just jokes in the same way james gan was and also he was on his 20, the thing is you can't try to "condem someone for something he did in the past, just because today is unaceptable and on that time not was, if is really like that if we just start to "threat and condaim" peoples for they "past mistakes" then no one gonna be left, remember i'm pretty sure anyone in the world have they own "skeletons" of the past and trying to use this to destroy someone lives is really nasty and specially show you are unable to "move one" and accept one of the most basic human "feelings" which is "forgive" or give a second chance, if even prisioners which did "worst thing" sometimes get a second chance why they not?? and the worst why now being "selective", if james gun was forgiven and give a second chance why he not???, just because "today"??? peoples become "less forgive now??? the same peoples claim for "justice" this really don't look's like "justice for me, just pure hatred.

and remember age "means nothing" when comes to "mature" you can have kids with 10 or even 9 years old being more mature than your average adult and having "adults" being more immature/kid than many kids, it's not just a case of "phyisic" and also "how you mature".
Old 2020-06-11, 12:55   Link #164
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
well remember even in real life sometimes you somehow "have to break the rules" like in some extreme cases were lives are at stake like someone holding and threatning a hostage and you don't have too much time to think "about the rules", for me what is matter is more like "when and were you must do something like that.
Even if breaking the rules is necessary, it isn't behavior that should be normalized, much less valorized.

Quote:
maybe "anti heroes", but really "heroes" i really don't recall many movies or any movie were a "cop" was show as a "hero" doing this sort of nasty thing it is more common with anti-hero types.
Yeah, try watching stuff like Cops sometime then.

Quote:
actually they are if you go look at the "nasty war place called twitter and some "media" like kotaku and others you gonna see peoples demmand that sort of "movies/series to be "terminated and anyone which enjoy watch this being turned in "monsters, racist you know all the "ists" possibles, because now cops for them become the same as nazis.
I'd be real interested to see what article on Kotaku you saw that accused people of being racist for watching cop shows.

Quote:
that was another time were things like that could not be seeying as terrible as today and they were just jokes
I'm quite sure that attacking and mutilating women was just as horrible in 2012 as it is today.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Old 2020-06-11, 15:52   Link #165
GDB

Quote:
that was another time were things like that could not be seeying as terrible as today and they were just jokes in the same way james gan was and also he was on his 20, the thing is you can't try to "condem someone for something he did in the past, just because today is unaceptable
Reminder that 8 years ago wasn't that long ago. In fact, it was only one President ago. There's quite a large difference in time between 8 years ago and 34 years ago.
Old 2020-06-11, 17:09   Link #166
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Eight years might not seem like a long time, but on the Internet? That can seem like ages ago.
Old 2020-06-11, 17:28   Link #167
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Only in America, where people celebrate criminals. I don't think I will ever get the Americans even if I live here all my life. They have it so good here with running water in the house, toilet seat to sit on, more than enough food and they still whine and whine and want to destroy their beautiful country. I don't understand.

Why don't they just hire only blacks for enforcement so if black cops murder white, asian or other blacks, people won't hear about it.
Old 2020-06-11, 19:38   Link #168
Key Board
Carbon

1. Can't enjoy all that running water, food and toilet if you're murdered.
2. Remember Flint not having clean water for years.
3. They certainly put a lot more effort into not trying to kill white people. Remember how many "misunderstood" white boy with guns were apprehended alive compared to blacks kids because they were an inherent threat.

But yeah, keep pretending this country has been doing fine and the only issue is China encroaching the economy, which I might add, only happened because of the US companies giving them contracts because they care more about profits than sweatshops.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2020-06-11, 23:59   Link #169
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
BBC vid on what's holding police reforms throughout America:

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2020-06-13, 05:23   Link #170
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Old 2020-06-13, 05:34   Link #171
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://theindependent.sg/singaporean...tter-movement/

The views of a Singaporean expat living in America telling his fellow Singaporeans back home not to criticize the BLM movement/protests happening there and in other places (e.g. Singapore doesn't have any pro-BLM protests/vigils, but there are some who support them)

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2020-06-13, 11:59   Link #172
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

My favorite foreign intervention after George Floyd was killed came from China, when some senior official in the Foreign Ministry speculated that the uprisings in the US were the results of rabble-rousers who had traveled here from Hong Kong.
Old 2020-06-13, 17:31   Link #173
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Ex-Cop Explains Why 'Good Apples' Are Rare
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dilkebPTsYI
Old 2020-06-13, 17:54   Link #174
Superstars
Final Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Only in America, where people celebrate criminals. I don't think I will ever get the Americans even if I live here all my life. They have it so good here with running water in the house, toilet seat to sit on, more than enough food and they still whine and whine and want to destroy their beautiful country. I don't understand.
You're right. Great country and part of that reason is a good police force. Yet a lot of society wants to make separate instances from that department seem like it's a systemic issue.

There are underlying reasons for these broad brush strokes. You have certain minorities bitter and vindictive of what happened to their forefathers in slavery. Some want to capitalize on cases like the Floyd murder as an excuse to push the same systematic racism narrative. Cause it's gain for their pockets or comforts internal insecurities. Taking the light off real issues. Which always begins with the one in the mirror.

Then you got the politicians who use the outrage of the people as a weapon to further their own goals. They fan the flames with vocal support to create more of the chaos in order to make the current administration look bad. So a particular side can be elected and the other outed.

It's all exaggeration, but there are hidden aspirations for this. To let the mob think they have a say. But in reality the powers that be are only allowing these protests, giving the angry people lip service. They won't really "abolish" or "defund" the police in ways that will dismantle them. They will do it in a fashion that is unnoticeable and won't bring any true change. They will never relinquish that kind of power to the people.

This will all blow over in a couple of months and we will get back to normal. Especially seeing if this supposed second wave from Corona virus passes.

Last edited by Superstars; 2020-06-13 at 19:18.
Old 2020-06-13, 18:26   Link #175
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

On basic question is, why is it that all these major cities with the systemic racism, protests, and riots, are Democrat run cities, and several cases, states? Why is this not happening as much in the Republican held states and cities?

Why do rioters tear down their own towns? With people who voted Democrat taking damage?

I know why some protesters are defacing statues of abolitionists and monuments to Colored Regiments from the Civil War. They aren't educated enough to know what they are defacing. Because none of that is taught in schools anymore, or if it is, it (being History) is considered the most boring subject and students don't pay attention anyway.

Some people know their history. Or at least parts of it. My great-great-great grandfather served as a nurse in the 38th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment during the Civil War and had the displeasure of being a Prisoner of War at Andersonville Prison. Others wouldn't know Booker T from Booker T. Washington.
Old 2020-06-13, 19:10   Link #176
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
On basic question is, why is it that all these major cities with the systemic racism, protests, and riots, are Democrat run cities, and several cases, states? Why is this not happening as much in the Republican held states and cities?
Because generally, democrats hold the more population dense areas. Further, the GOP is all in on loving the police and whatever brutality they might exert, especially on minorities. They come up with batshit ways to justify it (he had previous offenses, he's a secret sleeper agent terrorist, etc), so there's no way they'd protest regardless of how bad it is in their area.
Old 2020-06-13, 19:36   Link #177
Key Board
Carbon

I'd argue there's also a lot of disappointment towards the Democratic party

Obama had a super majority for at least 2 years.
He was elected twice.
Nothing changed.
Ferguson happened under him. He sided with the police.

People are sick of compromises.

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2020-06-13, 20:45   Link #178
Superstars
Final Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I'd argue there's also a lot of disappointment towards the Democratic party

Obama had a super majority for at least 2 years.
He was elected twice.
Nothing changed.
Ferguson happened under him. He sided with the police.

People are sick of compromises.

//
Remember the mayor of Chicago put in that "Ferguson effect" rule for the police? He also came out later and admitted it was a bad idea.
The police were so timid in their duties that crime actually got worse because they were too scared of being accused of racial profiling and brutality.

Chicago is rampant with crime and it is a gun free zone too.

Last edited by Superstars; 2020-06-13 at 21:19.
Old 2020-06-13, 22:53   Link #179
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Reuters have a better video on the incident with the Kurdish PR immigrant via Twitter, which started the protests in various cities in Japan:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1270039133847728129

----

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKBN23D0JG

Reuters article on the Kurdish man being manhandled.

Mixed comments from what I've seen. Most of the naysayers mentioned that maybe the man should've been polite in asking the officers why he's being stopped.

Old 2020-06-13, 23:25   Link #180
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Casual racism is so ingrained here - and minorities so comparatively rare - that the sort of outrage you see in American and Europe will never take hold. Those protesting the likes of this incident are always going to be voices in the wilderness.
Closed Thread