grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-23, 17:56   Link #102
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
she reminds me of a young arte.
That's a strange thing to say considering Arte might be younger than her

Arte is 15 at the beginning of her story, I don't know about Natsume.
Old 2020-07-23, 18:04   Link #103
Dextro
He Without a Title

So basically this is a post apocalyptic story but it's also a very late stage capitalism one? I'm down with it
Old 2020-07-24, 21:05   Link #104
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Natsume reminds me of the MCs of Shirobako and Sakura Quest, both the hairstyle and energy.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-25, 16:55   Link #105
Irenesharda

Finally got to see the episode, and the idea of humanity being destroyed by environmental issues, followed by people turning into cyborgs and then there being one company to rule them all who turned the continent of Eurasia into a game land. All the pieces aren't unheard of, but it's interesting hearing them all together.

Interesting training episode, and seeing how Natsume is doing. Though you can really see the difference between Tankers and Gears. You can tell who is who from the huge leap in tech they have.
The robot cyborgs are a collective in order to prevent the problems of humanity, but interestingly enough, they don't have the single mind that most of these types have in fiction. They are all independent thinkers and do their own things, as long as its still within the system.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-26, 21:12   Link #106
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I am so confused about the world setting.
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-27, 05:24   Link #107
4th Dimension

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
I am so confused about the world setting.
What specifically?

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-27, 09:43   Link #108
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
What specifically?
Based on 3 eps,

Let's see,

There are these enemies due to pollution that are threatening survival.

People turned into cyborgs

There is this one giant cooporation that control the current government

It turns out the world shown in ep 1 is a video game of some sort of video game?

Humans in the world are bascially NPCs.

Players who broke the rules are either getting the brains extracted or follow order to correct bugs (human(
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-29, 12:10   Link #109
4th Dimension

Quote:
It turns out the world shown in ep 1 is a video game of some sort of video game?

It is no VIDEO game. Robots treat it as a game space where they "play" by using flesh and blood avatars. Consequences for them for death are not severe. But they are VERY severe for humans, who are NOT NPCs. They are treated similary but are normal homo sapiens.

This was a nice episode with some SWEEET action on Natsume's part.

Wonder if Kaburagi runs in at the last moment to spoil the event and save the day by taking down the unbeatable boss after removing the limiters. Wouldn't that piss off his boss.

Last edited by LKK; 2020-07-29 at 12:18. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use Edit or Multiple Quote button instead.
Old 2020-07-29, 17:56   Link #110
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well this episode sets the stage. Natsume is throwing herself into a nearly impossible to clear event. Of course she can't die here, but the question is how will the event end up getting cleared? Will Natsume actually unlock main character power and beat the unbeatable? Will Kabu (), get involved and save the day? If he steps out that openly it could be real trouble for him. But, I can't see him willing to let Natsume die either. He went so far as to try and make her unwilling to fight in order to protect her.

If nothing else this is going to shake things up. I suppose it's possible Natsume is the only one to survive a massacre and the overall story event plays out as intended. But we will find out next week!
Quote:
Based on 3 eps,

Let's see,

There are these enemies due to pollution that are threatening survival.

People turned into cyborgs

There is this one giant cooporation that control the current government

Players who broke the rules are either getting the brains extracted or follow order to correct bugs (human(
Far as I can tell from how they broke things down: things worked out like this: A classic tale of humanity screwing up the planet. That lead to societal collapse. Then big bad corporations created cyborgs. They then took over and created this bubble area to play real life games in. Likely they themselves created the Gadoll as enemies for this game.

Their fellow cyborgs creating flesh and blood avatars to act as players (gears) and keeping regular humans around for menial tasks and effectively being the NPCs of their game. If humans cross out of line that's detected from the chips they are installed with and they are cleared out. All of this run by an overarching system that takes care of both human and cyborgs that step out of line.

From the map there are several major corporations of cyborgs running the show on Earth. The ones controlling the Deca-Dence and the bubble our story takes place in are just one of them.

At least that's how I read the situation. Judging from the few scenes we saw, the cyborgs are basically living in ships orbiting the Earth. Beaming down their consciousness to their living avatars to take action down there.
Old 2020-07-29, 18:40   Link #111
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was kind of obvious already but the episode confirmed that the Gadolls are created by the corporation. Perhaps it originally wasn't the case, but it is now. They made an event with an unbeatable boss just to set up a future event where legendary "heroes" return.

This isn't the first time the nest has been discovered and a final battle has taken place, which makes me wonder if the humans' memories can be erased by their chips? But in this case why not replace the chips instead of killing the humans with faulty ones?

I can't wait to see where this is going. Kaburagi revealed a bit of the truth, but that understandably just confused Natsume. How do you even begin to explain the situation to her without sounding completely nuts? Not to mention I'm not sure she'd be able to grasp the full scope of what's going on with her limited knowledge of the world.
Old 2020-07-29, 22:57   Link #112
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It was kind of obvious already but the episode confirmed that the Gadolls are created by the corporation. Perhaps it originally wasn't the case, but it is now. They made an event with an unbeatable boss just to set up a future event where legendary "heroes" return.

This isn't the first time the nest has been discovered and a final battle has taken place, which makes me wonder if the humans' memories can be erased by their chips? But in this case why not replace the chips instead of killing the humans with faulty ones?

I can't wait to see where this is going. Kaburagi revealed a bit of the truth, but that understandably just confused Natsume. How do you even begin to explain the situation to her without sounding completely nuts? Not to mention I'm not sure she'd be able to grasp the full scope of what's going on with her limited knowledge of the world.

Maybe that event is on a cycle like with gacha games - every x years its time to raid the nest. However, the majority of underdeveloped players and NPCs are killed. The remaining NPCs (humans) have a memory wipe after the event ends and it's back to business as usual.

Or... maybe that whole mobile fortress dies if the event isn't cleared so no need for the memory wipe.
Old 2020-07-30, 04:53   Link #113
4th Dimension

TBH, how much do the tankers even know what is going on in the power. Pretty sure Tankers aren't really aware of the event. They might learn Power suffered heavy losses but not why they were fighting, just to set the mood for the "RETURN".

But yes, it pretty much implies this is more or less a cycle. I'm actually somewhat suprised Kaburagi is aware it's a cycle. Players would be less hype if they know the boss is unbeatable and is just something cyclical.

Also, remember back in the Ep 1 how they teach them to repeat the history like a mantra. Sounds pretty indoctrination to me. So they can probably expunge anything major from the history by just teaching the youngsters what they want them to know. And also as long as the tanks aren't breached vast majority of tankers have no idea what is actualy happening out there.

Old 2020-07-30, 06:52   Link #114
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Dimension View Post
TBH, how much do the tankers even know what is going on in the power. Pretty sure Tankers aren't really aware of the event. They might learn Power suffered heavy losses but not why they were fighting, just to set the mood for the "RETURN".

But yes, it pretty much implies this is more or less a cycle. I'm actually somewhat suprised Kaburagi is aware it's a cycle. Players would be less hype if they know the boss is unbeatable and is just something cyclical.

Also, remember back in the Ep 1 how they teach them to repeat the history like a mantra. Sounds pretty indoctrination to me. So they can probably expunge anything major from the history by just teaching the youngsters what they want them to know. And also as long as the tanks aren't breached vast majority of tankers have no idea what is actualy happening out there.
Also, looking at how Natsume is treated by her friends, Tankers that work in the Power prob shunned by other Tankers so there is no info dissemination back to them.
Old 2020-07-30, 20:03   Link #115
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

I changed my mind and came back to this because I saw the silhouette of a possible hottie. Turned out to be boss.

He has two women going for him and all. Then I saw his cartoon version. Hmmm.... I'm not crazy about the art but next ep seems interesting.
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-30, 20:56   Link #116
Irenesharda

Got to see the episode, and you kind of have an interesting conundrum here.

Kabu being a Gear, still thinks like a Gear and in a way, has had no care or interest in human lives. They're no different than animals to him. However, he now has a human that he's taken an interest in and that he cares about and while he still doesn't care about everyone else, he cares about Natsume and wants to save her. This single impudence, as selfish as it is, could cause a greater change within his own world, which (sorry, Natsume) is the fight that matters.

Sadly, I feel sorry for Natsume. All her hopes and dreams depend on doing this fight, not knowing that this fight is as fake as the world around her. I'm guessing at this point it makes sense that the Gears control everything, including the Gadolls, and basically they end with a big boss battle, that just sort of resets the game and the whole thing starts all over again. The humans keep dying, but the Gears just play their game.

I'm really interested in what will happen when Natsume really learns the truth that Kabu was about to tell her.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-07-30, 22:29   Link #117
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
All her hopes and dreams depend on doing this fight, not knowing that this fight is as fake as the world around her.
Well, except that she has now re-framed her participation. When she came back to rejoin the fighters, she said she was doing it for herself, for her self-confidence. And while I'm sure that newfound assurance will falter at times in the coming battle, at least it has started her down the path to a new way of thinking and deciding what matters. She has already started growing.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-31, 02:31   Link #118
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Well, except that she has now re-framed her participation. When she came back to rejoin the fighters, she said she was doing it for herself, for her self-confidence. And while I'm sure that newfound assurance will falter at times in the coming battle, at least it has started her down the path to a new way of thinking and deciding what matters. She has already started growing.
Sure, that's nice and all, but knowing that the only reason she "found herself" is because of a mountain of lies and manufactured events is what makes the whole things feel just hollow and useless to me.

To me, nothing Natsume does will matter until she finds out the truth of the entire system. Because right she's just playing into the cycle, an NPC who changed her role in the game and now has a nice backstory and "reason to fight" and all, but she's still just an NPC to this game. One of many who may be destroyed by the next fight, only for the whole thing to begin again.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Old 2020-07-31, 05:47   Link #119
Dextro
He Without a Title

I think we already got a hint on how the corporation handles these kinds of things. Remember during the episode when Natsume's father was showing her the photos from the outside and he just casually mentioned another armored fortress "like the deca-dence"?

I take it that if things get really out of hand the corp just lets the fortress get completely wrecked and then has either another one somewhere or picks a couple of survivors, memory wipes them, and starts the cycle anew.

But, however, I don't believe they have the ability to memory wipe using the chips. I haven't seen anything indicating that ability so far so I take it that the hard reset is a bit more involved than just sending a command to the "NPCs". But I take it we'll have all that cleared up in the next 3 episodes. That's my bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Sure, that's nice and all, but knowing that the only reason she "found herself" is because of a mountain of lies and manufactured events is what makes the whole things feel just hollow and useless to me.

To me, nothing Natsume does will matter until she finds out the truth of the entire system. Because right she's just playing into the cycle, an NPC who changed her role in the game and now has a nice backstory and "reason to fight" and all, but she's still just an NPC to this game. One of many who may be destroyed by the next fight, only for the whole thing to begin again.
But she's not "in the system", she doesn't have the chip, so she has the potential to have that manufactured reality come crashing down. I'm almost positive that this will happen and will be a major driver for change in the story's status quo. That's basically what's keeping me watching this (I'm also not the biggest fan of this art style. Not saying it's bad, just not my particular cup of tea).
Old 2020-07-31, 06:26   Link #120
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think we already got a hint on how the corporation handles these kinds of things. Remember during the episode when Natsume's father was showing her the photos from the outside and he just casually mentioned another armored fortress "like the deca-dence"?

I take it that if things get really out of hand the corp just lets the fortress get completely wrecked and then has either another one somewhere or picks a couple of survivors, memory wipes them, and starts the cycle anew.

But, however, I don't believe they have the ability to memory wipe using the chips. I haven't seen anything indicating that ability so far so I take it that the hard reset is a bit more involved than just sending a command to the "NPCs". But I take it we'll have all that cleared up in the next 3 episodes. That's my bet.

But she's not "in the system", she doesn't have the chip, so she has the potential to have that manufactured reality come crashing down. I'm almost positive that this will happen and will be a major driver for change in the story's status quo. That's basically what's keeping me watching this (I'm also not the biggest fan of this art style. Not saying it's bad, just not my particular cup of tea).
If you're correct, then it calls into question just how much control the corporation actual has over their "game." You'd think that an entity would have majority control over their creation, with the worst of it being something like that out of control plague that hit WoW nearly a lifetime ago, could actually dictate where things are going. Having to switch to a new moving fortress when things get out of hand is essentially the same as a server wipe and reboot in MMO terms.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote