AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > High School DxD [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2020-10-27, 04:15   Link #7421
Xuanwu

There was a short story that revealed Sirzechs has a car that can go out into space; they can probably explore space easily if they want.
Xuanwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 08:18   Link #7422
godz

There must be a logical or illogical explanation that prevents trihexa from being thrown into the sun or the theoretical black hole in the solar system.
godz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 14:16   Link #7423
saucerKing

i can think of few

A) plot, this one i can agree whit. starting to throw things into black holes opens a box of pandora, how do you explain that they never do it again afterwards? you either play the araki card and forget, or you increase the power-creep and end like superman comics.

B) they have no real interest, maybe there are supernatural who like to go exploring space, we just never see them because well... they are exploring space. alternatively, supernatural beings would rather keep contact whit humans than whit alien races who might or might not be as tolerant and ignorant of their situation as humans

C) they are somehow tied to our world via some magic or something, maybe gods cant go so far from earth because there is no believers in space and maybe other supernaturals lose their power the further they are from somewhere where there is magic.

D) the most likely, ishibumi wanted to write about them being on earth. why he added space tech in that case is a mystery, but i guess he thought that a story about space devils and space angels duking it out trough the galaxy was not cool or would not sell well.
saucerKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-27, 15:01   Link #7424
godz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerKing View Post
i can think of few

A) plot, this one i can agree whit. starting to throw things into black holes opens a box of pandora, how do you explain that they never do it again afterwards? you either play the araki card and forget, or you increase the power-creep and end like superman comics.

B) they have no real interest, maybe there are supernatural who like to go exploring space, we just never see them because well... they are exploring space. alternatively, supernatural beings would rather keep contact whit humans than whit alien races who might or might not be as tolerant and ignorant of their situation as humans

C) they are somehow tied to our world via some magic or something, maybe gods cant go so far from earth because there is no believers in space and maybe other supernaturals lose their power the further they are from somewhere where there is magic.

D) the most likely, ishibumi wanted to write about them being on earth. why he added space tech in that case is a mystery, but i guess he thought that a story about space devils and space angels duking it out trough the galaxy was not cool or would not sell well.
I quite like option A and C
Old 2020-10-28, 14:38   Link #7425
Anime total
Infinity master

I found this, apparently there was a translation error in Shin DxD 4, in the part of the conversation of Issei and Ddraig, in the translation we have Ddraig says:
[However, if you destroy the entire planet, you win.]
Now here is the original Japanese:
だ が 、 星 ご と 壊 せ ば お ま え の 勝 ち だ (Daga, hoshi-goto kowaseba omae no kachida)
[However, if you destroy every planet, you win]
although these would also be valid
[But if you destroy every planet, you win]
[However, if you destroy each planet, you win]
[But if you destroy each planet, you win]
all this assuming that the "hoshi" in the phrase is synonymous with planet instead of star.
Anime total is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-28, 15:07   Link #7426
saucerKing

well, how do they refer to it when the analysis from ajuka comes? do they still say planet or star?
Old 2020-10-28, 16:32   Link #7427
Xuanwu

Since hoshi can mean both planet or star, context is how the appropriate meaning can be determined. Ddraig is saying Issei will able to win against Vali if he destroys the planet. Issei then goes "I'm also going to die if the Earth is gone, aren't I?!"

Star doesn't make much sense in context.
Old 2020-10-28, 16:33   Link #7428
godz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime total View Post
I found this, apparently there was a translation error in Shin DxD 4, in the part of the conversation of Issei and Ddraig, in the translation we have Ddraig says:
all this assuming that the "hoshi" in the phrase is synonymous with planet instead of star.
that does not make sense with the narration since moments ago in ajuka's conversation this refers to that AxA has an energy capable of destroying a planet in the singular and this was the moment before the conversation between issei with ddraig ... and hoshi no It is only planet or star, it refers to celestial bodies and by narration it is more appropriate to accept planet than star, this can also be seen in the conversation of the evies.
Old 2020-10-28, 17:16   Link #7429
Marvix
Elmenhilde's Fang

It's 'the planet'. 'Every' makes no sense. That would be implying Issei needs to destroy every planet across all known universes, to beat Vali.
Old 2020-10-28, 19:34   Link #7430
saucerKing

i mean... that argument is not completely wrong. vali supposedly moves at the speed of light if not much much faster, if issei tries to blow up the planet the idea of vali being able to fly to mars or something is not that crazy. of course i agree that is planet, star seems exaggerated considering what we saw when it held back.
Old 2020-10-28, 19:52   Link #7431
godz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerKing View Post
i mean... that argument is not completely wrong. vali supposedly moves at the speed of light if not much much faster, if issei tries to blow up the planet the idea of vali being able to fly to mars or something is not that crazy. of course i agree that is planet, star seems exaggerated considering what we saw when it held back.
it is too hyperbole to consider several planets, not to mention that in several other translations (Russian, Spanish and Portuguese) the ending planet is used in the singular, not in the plural...This could only be solved by a native Japanese speaker who can speak English.
Old 2020-10-28, 20:20   Link #7432
B214

Quote:
The translation is correct. Hoshi refers to planet in this situation. This is saying "if you destroy the planet (Earth), you win".
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-28, 20:55   Link #7433
saucerKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by godz View Post
it is too hyperbole to consider several planets, not to mention that in several other translations (Russian, Spanish and Portuguese) the ending planet is used in the singular, not in the plural...This could only be solved by a native Japanese speaker who can speak English.
i know, i was talking about vali actually surviving issei making the planet go kaboom, he technically can get out of earth before it explodes so making issei destroy many planets is not that far fetched if vali can literally keep escaping.
Old 2020-10-29, 01:12   Link #7434
B214

Can they survive in space though?
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-29, 01:58   Link #7435
Marvix
Elmenhilde's Fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by B214 View Post
Can they survive in space though?
Issei could by breathing in oppai oxygen or surrounded by an oppai barrier. Similarly, Vali could too by breathing in ass oxygen or surrounded by an ass barrier
Old 2020-10-29, 03:05   Link #7436
saucerKing

or they could literally make a bubble shaped barrier and bring an oxygen tank. or possibly even make oxygen via magic, its not any less crazy than some of the things we have seen magic doing in the series.
Old 2020-10-29, 11:45   Link #7437
Anime total
Infinity master

the key word in the original is the "hoshi goto"
I am aware that "Hoshi" is used for celestial bodies such as planets and stars and that in the context it is better to assume that it means planet, but that does not change that the "goto" whose correct translation is "each" or "every", does not "entire", because that can only be understood as one thing: Ddraig affirms that AxA can destroy all the planets of the solar system
Anime total is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-29, 12:34   Link #7438
godz

Quote:
I am aware that "Hoshi" is used for celestial bodies such as planets and stars and that in the context it is better to assume that it means planet, but that does not change that the "goto" whose correct translation is "each" or "every", does not "entire", because that can only be understood as one thing: Ddraig affirms that AxA can destroy all the planets of the solar system
Ddraig said calmly. ...Right. My power was something incredible, but it wasn't necessarily the case that all those attacks would reach the transcendentally fast Vali. So when the combination with Ryuuteimaru was over, I’d get beaten and it would be over, huh? ...Perhaps, with Vali as an opponent, it’s no more than a huge moving fort. ...So this meant there was room for improvement and training, huh? While Ddraig laughed, he said,

I'm also going to die if the Earth is gone, aren’t I!? During that, I also thought of something... I had asked Beelzebub-sama whether this power could be of help to Azazel-sensei, Sirzechs-sama and the others, who were in the isolation barrier...(shin dxd 3)

if your statement is correct, the comment below where issei refers to the earth and that he would die if it is destroyed is incorrecta.. . it is simple reading comprehension that refers to the entire planet (that is, without leaving traces) that to all the planets, so that the dialogue makes sense and this is also said above with Rias's comment.

Rias replied about it.

“I received an explanation regarding Ryuuteimaru. That is — it looks like Ryuuteimaru holds a power capable enough to destroy a planet."

[—!!? A p-planet!?]

Everyone except for Ravel and me screamed in shock at Rias's words. This was natural, right? You know, if you heard this and that about a planet. I said,

“Even when I defeated Tartarus, Seekvaira-san told me to suppress the power. In fact, with limited output, it had such power, right? ...I also thought it was dangerous. Destroying a planet sounds crazy, but I feel like I understand.”

Using that power inside Ryuuteimaru, I realized. It's scary in a different sense than True Dragon Deification. True Dragon Deification was scary because of the risk of the body not being able to adapt, but [A×A] with Ryuuteimaru was too scary because, on the contrary, the risk was low.

“—The current Ryuuteimaru, [A×A], is too dangerous.”(shin dxd 3 new life)

The ddraig thing is a joke in response to issei's question if he could already defeat vali ... not a statement

Last edited by godz; 2020-10-29 at 13:00.
Old 2020-10-29, 13:57   Link #7439
Marvix
Elmenhilde's Fang

Quote:
Such use of ごと is incorrect. ごと has both meanings of "the whole" and "every", but the first makes more sense. Ddraig is not a multi-planet destroyer so he absolutely cannot assess that AxA has the same level of power. Hence 'every' doesn't make sense. The translator of DxD currently, another translator (not really, just confirms things at times) who helps out a bit and a third person who knows Japanese, all say basically it's 'the planet'. 3 against 1.

Last edited by Marvix; 2020-10-29 at 14:50.
Marvix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-29, 14:14   Link #7440
Xuanwu

Ddraig should actually be one of the most reliable sources for Issei's power since he dwells inside of him. Issei, Ddraig and the researchers working on Ryuuteimaru are all valid sources on AxA's power level.

But I agree it doesn't make much sense for the statement to refer to all planets in the star system. What I think Ddraig is saying is that, Issei could use massive AoE attacks that destroy the Earth. Even if Vali dodges the actual attack, the blast wave would kill him because the area it'd cover would make it impossible for him to avoid. Like, it's not possible to dodge an attack of that scale unless the person in question can move to outer space in an instant. Then Issei also dies since there is no oxygen in space.