AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2021-01-16, 20:15   Link #401
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Hammer View Post
I'm not really into the Subaru/Emilia relationship as I feel that what Subaru feels for Emilia is basically puppy love.

I also have a theory about why Subaru has such unwavering affection for Emilia based mainly off of Episodes 18, 21, and 25 of Re:zero.

In episode 25, Subaru said if Emilia mentioned 10 things she hated about himself that he’d tell her 2,000 things he likes about her. In episode 18, Puck told Petelgeuse that if he wants to kill them he needs to generate a thousand shadow hands, half of what Satella could, which is 2,000. This suggests that perhaps the reason Subaru thought of that specific number is that Satella influenced him subconsciously. Given Emilia is discriminated against for looking like the Witch, I think it was insensitive of Subaru to use that number, and the only logical explanation I could think of for him doing so was that he wasn't of sound mind when he said it.

I’m positive that Satella can influence Subaru given that she can read his mind and determine if his intent is to reveal Return by Death, which shows that subconsciously, there is a connection between them even if Subaru has no access to Satella, the Witch of Envy’s thoughts. So if Satella can make Subaru think of the number 2,000, which is associated with her, it's possible that part of the reason Subaru’s affection for Emilia is so strong is because Emilia looks just like Satella, and Satella is subconsciously making him obsessed with someone who looks just like she does.

In episode 21, when Crusch offered to Subaru to become one of her men, he turned her down and said it wasn’t about loyalty or allegiance, but his faith lies exactly where it should. This shows that his reason for supporting Emilia perhaps does not have a very solid foundation if loyalty has nothing to do with it.

I want to state clearly now that I'm not saying that the entire reason Subaru is attracted to Emilia is because of Satella. He does have a thing for silver-haired girls as shown by his taste in anime heroines, and Emilia did show that she had very good character when he first got summoned to the world and was struggling by himself in a foreign land, but I do think what he feels for Emilia is partially a result of the Witch of Envy's influence.

Yeah, I understand that Subaru believes in video game tropes and thinks of himself as the main character of a story, even going as far as saying Emilia would slowly fall for him in episode 25 as if it was a given that it would eventually happen much like what happens for most male isekai protagonists. And Emilia even treated him kindly when no else would and eventually gave him a lap pillow, which was one of his otaku dream fantasies, and given his natural inclination to silver-haired beauties, it would make sense that he would fall for Emilia. However, I just think there might be something more sinister going on under the surface.

We are four arcs into the story Subaru and Emilia have been through far too much for both physically and mentally for someone to write their relationship off as "puppy love". Sure Subaru gained initial attraction to Emilia as side-effect of her saving when he was about to be killed but its clear from that point on those feelings only stronger for Emilia in subsequent story beats and arc when he got to see more side to her. In fact her compassion (as much as she tries to hide it) is one of major reason he fell for her. As the story continues on it becomes clear to Subaru what Emilia did in arc 1 was something extremely few would have done (Reinhard is really the only other case) because when she saved him wasn't out of obligation & it was very much to her detriment for ultimately for a foreign stronger who had nothing to offer her. His relationship with her would also lead him to having a new home, job and essentially a second family with Emilia remaining main his benefactor through it out all despite the trouble it brought them both. If they can't grow

Which is why there is no need use some off wall concept like manipulative magic to explain Subaru's affections for Emilia, you just need to rewatch S1 or read the LN. Not to mention Satella killing Emilia would be one of major contradictions to that theory anyway. Taking this view it is also obvious what Subaru's comment toward Crusch offer meant. He's not working with Crusch for material gain, if he were he wouldn't be trying to get back to Emilia in the firs place. Subaru on Emilia's side instead of because he genuinely likes Emilia as person, is more sympathetic to her plight and he aligns more what she stands for. His foundation is that Emilia along with everyone in Roswaal's domain are his reason for living in here and now.

The whole he believe still he video game character makes no sense where we are at in this story especially with is thought process. He's not in anyway treating his or Emilia's feelings as some game here. Others have developed similar affection to Subaru as he did for Emilia for whatever reason not question like Otto. His attachment o Suabru is born out of act that the later saved his life, ditto for Rem. You don't see thinking of themselves as game character either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
And then he met a lot of people that were equally if not more admirable.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Subaru's devotion to Emilia is just born out of his stubbornness as he "decided" that she's the one he loves above anything else.

I know that's not not what the author is thinking, but it sure does feel that way to me. As much as he keeps repeating how much he loves Emilia, he doesn't look that much in love to me. I honestly empathized with Emilia when she said his words didn't sound true to her.
No they really hasn't. Emilia helped him with having without having any special attachment to him. On other hand most of people hes met the story have harmed him someway often times irrationally. This not to say they are bad people, but being more admirably to be is extremely debatable based on past experience.

Also I wouldn't say your actually seeing eye to eye with Emilia here at all because reason what she rejecting Subaru becasue she considers herself worthless much like him. She thinks Puck left her and Subaru broke his promise because they had finally gotten fed up with her. On top of this she still continues to live in isolation & estrangement from everyone else because of her existence. Its no wonder she has a hard time understanding something like love. She looking to be hurt and seeking a reason deny any good will towards because of her own self-loathing. How someone love her for herself is what she struggling with.

Healthly love is not transactional, even if might born out of one event or several. The reasons always personal not objective nor is it binary equation you can just plug in. Its a feeling within people that they give meaning to. Subaru feels for Emilia not because what she has done for him but for who she is. Emilia may not see herself as anything special, but nobody has conform to that view as Subaru himself learn form all his experiences with others.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-16, 21:50   Link #402
Thor's Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
We are four arcs into the story Subaru and Emilia have been through far too much for both physically and mentally for someone to write their relationship off as "puppy love". Sure Subaru gained initial attraction to Emilia as side-effect of her saving when he was about to be killed but its clear from that point on those feelings only stronger for Emilia in subsequent story beats and arc when he got to see more side to her. In fact her compassion (as much as she tries to hide it) is one of major reason he fell for her. As the story continues on it becomes clear to Subaru what Emilia did in arc 1 was something extremely few would have done (Reinhard is really the only other case) because when she saved him wasn't out of obligation & it was very much to her detriment for ultimately for a foreign stronger who had nothing to offer her. His relationship with her would also lead him to having a new home, job and essentially a second family with Emilia remaining main his benefactor through it out all despite the trouble it brought them both. If they can't grow

Which is why there is no need use some off wall concept like manipulative magic to explain Subaru's affections for Emilia, you just need to rewatch S1 or read the LN. Not to mention Satella killing Emilia would be one of major contradictions to that theory anyway. Taking this view it is also obvious what Subaru's comment toward Crusch offer meant. He's not working with Crusch for material gain, if he were he wouldn't be trying to get back to Emilia in the firs place. Subaru on Emilia's side instead of because he genuinely likes Emilia as person, is more sympathetic to her plight and he aligns more what she stands for. His foundation is that Emilia along with everyone in Roswaal's domain are his reason for living in here and now.

The whole he believe still he video game character makes no sense where we are at in this story especially with is thought process. He's not in anyway treating his or Emilia's feelings as some game here. Others have developed similar affection to Subaru as he did for Emilia for whatever reason not question like Otto. His attachment o Suabru is born out of act that the later saved his life, ditto for Rem. You don't see thinking of themselves as game character either.
I am still not sold on what you believe to be Subaru truly loving Emilia given what he later says in episode 25. Just because Emilia treats him very well and is such a kind person and even made one of his otaku dream fantasies, getting a lap pillow, come true doesn't mean he really loves her even if he believes what he feels is love.

You still have no rebuttal to him using a number connected to Satella, the Witch of Envy, in reference to Emilia, do you?

Actually, Satella killing Emilia in episode 17 doesn't in any way contradict my theory at all. You forget that Subaru can just die and reset things, and that loop was basically a failure by that point anyway since the Witch Cult would have entered the mansion and killed everybody in it. As long as Subaru brings Emilia to the end of the story when Satella possesses Emilia's body, that is probably all Satella really cares about regarding Emilia.

I don't deny that Subaru is living for Emilia and everybody at the mansion, but him saying that it has nothing to do with loyalty or allegiance is something you are refusing to analyze, and I believe that to be a mistake. Considering all the Emilia camp has done for Subaru, he should absolutely feel loyalty to Emilia, but the anime presenting it as him deciding through a personal choice that he should be aligned with Emilia with it having NOTHING to do with loyalty (his words, not mine) leads me to believe that his reason for supporting Emilia is possibly not based on a foundation as solid as people would like to believe. The animators send the episodes to Tappei, so I assume that Tappei is okay with how things have been presented so far, and considering the text in Re:zero is often foreshadowing something, I do take it as a possible sign that him wanting to make Emilia ruler is something that Subaru has decided to do because of his ego, believing it to be his purpose in this world given he felt like there was nothing left for him back in the world he grew up in.

As for Subaru no longer thinking that he's a protagonist of a story, look no further than in Episode 25. "As far as I'm concerned, it's written in stone that you'll give me an answer. And it'll be a positive one at that." This line reeks of entitlement. Maybe some fans of the Emilia/Subaru relationship see this as confidence, but I believe it to be him believing that he will no doubt be rewarded for his efforts with Emilia's love given he indicated that it was written in stone that he'd receive a positive answer from her, which is basically a sense of entitlement from the main character. I never said anything about a game by the way, so you misinterpreted my remarks. I do believe Subaru thinks of himself to an extent as the hero of an isekai story though.

Last edited by Thor's Hammer; 2021-01-16 at 22:49.
Thor's Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 00:25   Link #403
Applehell

Quote:
I am still not sold on what you believe to be Subaru truly loving Emilia given what he later says in episode 25. Just because Emilia treats him very well and is such a kind person and even made one of his otaku dream fantasies, getting a lap pillow, come true doesn't mean he really loves her even if he believes what he feels is love.
You saying Subaru doesn't love her base on a random innocuous comment that you interpreted as something else and... the fact he likes lap pillows? Nevermind this very common position in romance stories or Emilia has no problem adauining to such a tin request. So far the proof of Suabru not loving Emilia is literally your own interpretation of something that goes against is fact. He does love because he she gave him a lap pillow that fact your bringing that up instead of something that actually substantial to your point says a lot like dialogue and emotions behind them. I'm pretty sure that Subaru knows more about his own feelings that you do and its not invalided because you say otherwise. For that matter this isn't just him saying Otto, Wilhelm, Rem, Crusch, Julius, all of theme have affirmed Subaru's feeling for Emilia without.

Also getting a lap pillow has never been one of his otaku fantasies to begin with and whether he even likes them is does not mark as one. Its not as if he obessed with them.

Quote:
You still have no rebuttal to him using a number connected to Satella, the Witch of Envy, in reference to Emilia, do you?
I already made one above, but point is fallacy.Correlation=/=causation, to being with 2000 is random number that came regarding Satella's shadows. Neither the anime or LN ever suggest there is an significance to that number and never been mentioned again over the 6 arcs so far even when Satella is using her shadows. Subaru's comment itself has nothing to do with Satella in any meaningful way, your point is extrapolation of your own theory. Nothing in the story suggest as such.

Quote:
Actually, Satella killing Emilia in episode 17 doesn't in any way contradict my theory at all. You forget that Subaru can just die and reset things, and that loop was basically a failure by that point anyway since the Witch Cult would have entered the mansion and killed everybody in it. As long as Subaru brings Emilia to the end of the story when Satella possesses Emilia's body, that is probably all Satella really cares about regarding Emilia.
Except neither the WoE or Satella behave like this that's why the point falls. Dona who knows the Satella had explained that RBD exist for no one else but Subaru. Only he matters to the Witch of Envy. Emilia has died plenty of times and the only reason it got reverse was because Subaru chose to that just as he chose to save the others. How RBD gets used is up to him not Satella because she only cars about him surviving. She shown no care about Emilia at all. This is fact from the story itself as we know it so not up to debate. So suggest you either revise your theory or just drop it.

Quote:
I don't deny that Subaru is living for Emilia and everybody at the mansion, but him saying that it has nothing to do with loyalty or allegiance is something you are refusing to analyze, and I believe that to be a mistake. Considering all the Emilia camp has done for Subaru, he should absolutely feel loyalty to Emilia, but the anime presenting it as him deciding through a personal choice that he should be aligned with Emilia with it having NOTHING to do with loyalty (his words, not mine) leads me to believe that his reason for supporting Emilia is possibly not based on a foundation as solid as people would like to believe. The animators send the episodes to Tappei, so I assume that Tappei is okay with how things have been presented so far, and considering the text in Re:zero is often foreshadowing something, I do take it as a possible sign that him wanting to make Emilia ruler is something that Subaru has decided to do because of his ego, believing it to be his purpose in this world given he felt like there was nothing left for him back in the world he grew up in.
Nowhere is stated that Subaru isn't loyalty to Emilia, but he not doing things for her out of it. Subaru's helping her cause he cares. Even if they aren't lovers right now, they are friends. He make her ruler because that what Emilia wants that's why she in royal selection to begin with. The rulership has no meaning to him and Subaru wanting make Emilia because of ego makes no sense. That no different saying he want Emilia just because as if Emilia doing this out of her agency. Subaru wants to support her dreams not himself.

Quote:
As for Subaru no longer thinking that he's a protagonist of a story, look no further than in Episode 25. "As far as I'm concerned, it's written in stone that you'll give me an answer. And it'll be a positive one at that." This line reeks of entitlement. Maybe some fans of the Emilia/Subaru relationship see this as confidence, but I believe it to be him believing that he will no doubt be rewarded for his efforts with Emilia's love given he indicated that it was written in stone that he'd receive a positive answer from her, which is basically a sense of entitlement from the main character. I never said anything about a game by the way, so you misinterpreted my remarks. I do believe Subaru thinks of himself to an extent as the hero of an isekai story though.
Not really. He's confident she will come to like him the more she knows him. Nothing wrong with that. There plenty of similar sentiments in a lot of other romance stories. Of course he want to believe that will happen, why the hell would he say otherwise? Subaru wants Emilia to come love the him in the same way he does her someday and it is something he wants to work making a reality if he still has that chance. Its hardly controversial or entitlement. Entitlement would have been what he did earlier in arc 3 or forcing Emilia to make decision without her coming to terms with her own feelings.

You argue about the wording but he already accepted that Emilia's earlier answer to give her time. That is much more example of his growth and fact Emilia's feeling matter to him. Her happiness is the most important thing to him and he rather not do anything that would go against that.
Old 2021-01-17, 00:32   Link #404
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Subaru kan said the line, "chotto,o hanashi o shiyo ka- Emila tan". That part of speech is also used by Puck before killing Subaru and the rest. Before Emilia's mother left her in the snow field, she said the same thing "chotto, o hanashi o shiyoka".

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-17, 01:07   Link #405
Thor's Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
How RBD gets used is up to him not Satella because she only cars about him surviving. She shown no care about Emilia at all. This is fact from the story itself as we know it so not up to debate. So suggest you either revise your theory or just drop it.
I don't consider it a fact based off of what Petelgeuse has said. Petelgeuse said that the Witch Cult's goal was to test Emilia to see if she was a worthy vessel for putting the Witch into, and if so, the Witch would be reborn on the coming fated day. If this is what Satella has directed the Witch Cult to do, then she definitely cares what happens to Emilia. RBD being a tool that only Subaru can act upon and decide how to use in no way indicates that she has no plans for Emilia. Satella told Subaru to come kill her in episode 38 after all, and given that her body is immortal, the only way to kill her would be if she possessed Emilia's body, which aligns with the Witch Cult's goal to test Emilia to see if she'd be a proper vessel for her. Just because you are a novel reader doesn't mean you're entitled to shutting down discussion especially considering the Witch Cult's interactions with Emilia.
Old 2021-01-17, 11:06   Link #406
Applehell

Quote:
I don't consider it a fact based off of what Petelgeuse has said. Petelgeuse said that the Witch Cult's goal was to test Emilia to see if she was a worthy vessel for putting the Witch into, and if so, the Witch would be reborn on the coming fated day. If this is what Satella has directed the Witch Cult to do, then she definitely cares what happens to Emilia. RBD being a tool that only Subaru can act upon and decide how to use in no way indicates that she has no plans for Emilia. Satella told Subaru to come kill her in episode 38 after all, and given that her body is immortal, the only way to kill her would be if she possessed Emilia's body, which aligns with the Witch Cult's goal to test Emilia to see if she'd be a proper vessel for her. Just because you are a novel reader doesn't mean you're entitled to shutting down discussion especially considering the Witch Cult's interactions with Emilia.
Ah, I see your misunderstanding something here. That was all Geuse's idea. He thinks the Witch Cults degraded gospels are messages from Satella and their fragmented passages are interpreted as her will. In the first part of S2 Roswaal already gave hints about origins of gospel and what they actually do. They definitely aren't things from Satella, the fact that Roswaal and Beatrice have superior copies of them despite not being cultists themselves nor do their books that contain any such wit show is strong indication of that. There also point where at end of S1 Satella/WoE shows no acknowledge of Geuse or cult at all.

BTW, what Geuse was actually trying pass on to Emilia was the Witch Factor by having Emilia kill him and Emilia absorb it after like Subaru did from him. If she died to during their fight then proved she was imposter. That was what ordeal was all about, the cult regulatory persecutes half elves because they cannot suffer who have similarities to Satella but are not her to live. S1 only partly explained this but it more elaborated in the LN. So none of this is actually proof that Emilia & Satella share any direct connection.

Once the anime gets into Emilia's own past further that gonna be harder claim any direct connection between the two.
Old 2021-01-17, 21:07   Link #407
Frontier

Maybe half-elf girls just naturally look alike and sound like Rie Takahashi .
Old 2021-01-20, 11:18   Link #408
Frontier

Looks like we're saving Emilia's past for the next episode, so now it's time for the long-standing issue of Garfiel and Frederica's past .

I wasn't expecting Garfiel's cross-shaped forehead mark was brought about because of him bashing his head in after failing in the first trial, but that's...a very gar way of getting a forehead mark, not that I'm advocating for self-harm .

Emilia, challenging Garfiel who is in the same state she was! I'm so proud :
Look at post-character development T_T:!

Garfiel's trauma all revolves around his mother leaving her and Frederica in Sanctuary, when he was too young to do anything about it, and justifying it that his mother abandoned them to find happiness, only to meet an untimely end after immediately setting out. Garfiel wanted his mother to be happy, and feeling that she couldn't find it after leaving them left him with a phobia of the outside world and an obsession with protecting Sanctuary so that nothing could ever change and he could never lose anything again .

And in comes Subaru Natsuki, the man who has learned it is never too late to never give up from the people around him (especially Rem), and whose family apparently makes a habit of making people confront their emotional trauma to grow from it, who is ready to get Garfiel to face the truth and move on from what has been holding him (and Sanctuary) back this whole time .

Subaru vs Garfiel! And with it comes a seemingly major upgrade to Shamac, courtesy of Satella or Echidna? Not to mention a parting gift from Puck to put Subaru and Garfiel on more even footing. But that's not even the biggest surprise, as Subaru unlocks Petelgeuse' Authority to deliver a solid uppercut on Garfiel set to the previous Opening in a truly epic moment. Seems like his experience with Satella has helped him unlock it, a move he now dubs "Invisible Providence" .

But even that isn't enough to put Garfiel down for the count, which is where Best Girl Patrasche shows up to deliver the final blow! Because when Subaru's strong will and determination aren't enough, he'll always have his allies to help him secure a win .

Another lap pillow from Emilia! On top of that, they're going to properly discuss their relationship after that kiss once Emilia finishes the trial! You go Subaru .

Subaru headbutts Otto as payback for that punch and for Otto going above and beyond what Subaru wanted him to do to distract Garfiel, but he's just glad Otto is all right .

I've always been kind of curious about Ram's exact feelings for Garfiel, but here she gives him a lap pillow of her own, a stern talking to about what he has to do and the kind of man he has to become, and probably the most sentimental and sincere look she's given anyone not named Rem in the whole series. She definitely seems to care about him, and honestly it felt like an interesting parallel to Subaru and Emilia's talk last week .

Garfiel finally undertakes the first trial again and faces the truth that her mother didn't abandon them, she loved and cherished her children, she just didn't feel it was safe to take them with her while she went to try and bring their father back (or at least Garfiel's father. Did he abandon them? Why wasn't he in Sanctuary?). And the person who tells Garfiel all this and makes him face up to the truth is the person who he needed to speak with the most, cute lil' Frederica, who was utterly adorable and really told it like it is! Like all big sisters do, no matter their size .

So Garfiel has finally acknowledged Subaru and starts calling him "boss," and apparently he's been fourteen this entire time. That sure threw Subaru for a loop .

Garfiel may have passed the first trial, but at the end of the day Emilia is still the one who needs to save Sanctuary so she has to be the one to pass all three. And not without the real reason Subaru left her and broke his promise...scribbling words of encouragement and love for Emilia on the entire wall of the trial area, because that's just what that loveable idiot does, and Emilia can't help but love him for it .

Emilia finally faces off against Echidna (I don't know if this was part of her original trial or if Echidna is just facing her now because Emilia is trying again), and Echidna doesn't mince words with her. It honestly kind of came off as Echidna was ticked Emilia got to kiss Subaru and he's partially what's motivating her, but it doesn't seem like in general that Echidna respects Emilia that much. And then there's what "witch's daughter" comment which sets up a lot of red flags considering the Satella resemblance. But Emilia doesn't have time for any of that, she has embraced herself as her own person and her own witch (The Frozen Witch) and will keep moving forward, because that's just the kind of woman she is .
Old 2021-01-20, 14:52   Link #409
AntonKutovoi

Now THAT'S what I call a gut punch.
AntonKutovoi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-20, 19:55   Link #410
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Nevermind everything else, Emilia doing the Subaru pose and talking back to Echidna was amazing. Seems like she's finally done being useless.
Old 2021-01-20, 20:48   Link #411
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Quote:
I've always been kind of curious about Ram's exact feelings for Garfiel, but here she gives him a lap pillow of her own, a stern talking to about what he has to do and the kind of man he has to become, and probably the most sentimental and sincere look she's given anyone not named Rem in the whole series. She definitely seems to care about him, and honestly it felt like an interesting parallel to Subaru and Emilia's talk last week .
Lol, I coudn't understand why hizamakuro is so important, also a dateto. Garfield needs to learn how to ask a girl for a date and so on from his new boss. I think Ram is becoming more and more Yandare as the story progress. I kind of like it though. But it will be hard for Garbo to approach her since he is too dumb to see the clues on Ram's face.

Quote:
Garfiel finally undertakes the first trial again and faces the truth that her mother didn't abandon them, she loved and cherished her children, she just didn't feel it was safe to take them with her while she went to try and bring their father back (or at least Garfiel's father. Did he abandon them? Why wasn't he in Sanctuary?). And the person who tells Garfiel all this and makes him face up to the truth is the person who he needed to speak with the most, cute lil' Frederica, who was utterly adorable and really told it like it is! Like all big sisters do, no matter their size .
Character development dedicated to Garfield was excellent, bro. Heark-broken scence and it placed character development of Garfield and Frederica to a whole new level. Like childhood story of Rem and Ram.

Quote:
So Garfiel has finally acknowledged Subaru and starts calling him "boss," and apparently he's been fourteen this entire time. That sure threw Subaru for a loop .
I have been speculating to Garfield's age. The animal grow faster than human and their life span is short(Poor Garfield). I'm wondering how old Frederica is. Thinking she might be same age around Petera-chan make me amused. But I remember last time Ram was saying "Me and Frederiaca been known each other over ten years".
-
Subaru's invisible hand looks funny though, invisible hands are impressive when the Witch-Clut members using them but it looks funny when Subaru uses. I'm expecting more hands in the upcoming arcs. A cat fight between Emilia and Echidana over Subaru. Man, that fella is a lady magnet.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-20, 22:42   Link #412
Wandering Soul

Looks like Garfiel has joined the party. Subaru's speech before giving knocking him out (with the help of Partrasche) really does sum up what several character arcs have been about so far, along with being one of the main themes of this series.

Emilia despite not being the main focus of the episode still stole the show by doing the Subaru pose and back-talking Enchinda.
Old 2021-01-21, 08:06   Link #413
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
I have been speculating to Garfield's age. The animal grow faster than human and their life span is short(Poor Garfield). I'm wondering how old Frederica is. Thinking she might be same age around Petera-chan make me amused. But I remember last time Ram was saying "Me and Frederiaca been known each other over ten years".
Frederica is older than Garfiel, so there's no way she's the same age as Petra.

Garfiel's complete change in attitude after being beaten was rather funny. He acts like Subaru's lackey now
Old 2021-01-21, 08:11   Link #414
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

So nobody comments on Echidna calling Emilia "the witch's daughter", and Emilia defining herself as a witch?

Doesn't that mean that she is Satella's daughter, and that she is aware of that? Or is there another explanation?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-21, 08:40   Link #415
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

Really, these last 3 episodes have been amazing. Well worth the wait

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

Quote:
So nobody comments on Echidna calling Emilia "the witch's daughter", and Emilia defining herself as a witch?

Doesn't that mean that she is Satella's daughter, and that she is aware of that? Or is there another explanation?
IIRC, Emilia had previously called herself "Frozen Witch" during the second OVA, right?

As for Echidna's comment...who knows? She could be either telling the truth or saying it out of spite because of her hatred for Satella and anyone who looks like her.
Old 2021-01-21, 12:05   Link #416
Ultragunner

is it me or Echidna seems a bit salty? perhaps with how Emilia got all of Subaru's attention
Old 2021-01-21, 19:15   Link #417
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:

I'm just not sure how much weight we can put into Echidna's words. And if she was really Satella's daughter or even just a witch, I'd think quite a few character would be able to smell it. Unless she's been suppressing her powers, that is. Maybe Puck acted as a seal on both her powers and her memories? Or she simply needs her memories to use her real powers.
Old 2021-01-22, 02:08   Link #418
Thor's Hammer

I have a new theory based off of Echidna calling Emilia the Witch's daughter.

As for Emilia being called the Witch’s daughter, I think back to Beatrice calling Echidna her mother. Beatrice in a sense is Echidna’s daughter since Echidna created her. Is it not possible that one of the Witches of Sin, namely Satella in this case, created Emilia? That is one way for her to be the Witch’s daughter without actually being conceived in the womb by Satella, who was sealed 400 years ago. I think back to episode 38 when Satella told Subaru to some day come kill her. Petelgeuse also indicated that the Witch Cult’s goal is to test Emilia to see whether she would be a worthy vessel to put the Witch into, and if so, the Witch would be reborn on the coming fated day. This shows that it’s possible Satella’s goal is to die by possessing a body that isn’t immortal like her original body was. Perhaps Satella somehow created Emilia in a similar fashion that Echidna created Beatrice. I don’t know how Satella could accomplish that while sealed, but given her otherworldly powers, maybe she somehow found a way, creating a body that would be strikingly similar to hers with the only difference being that it is a mortal and would be compatible enough to be possessed by her one day.

The more story hints are revealed, the more I believe Emilia will die at the end of Re:zero when Satella, the Witch of Envy, possesses her body.
Old 2021-01-22, 08:12   Link #419
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Yeah considering it is established that Witches can create living beings with their powers (see Gluttony), it is quite possible that Emilia was created by Satella.

However that's still a very strong connection with Satella. Whether Emilia was biologically conceived by the witch of Envy or created by her in her own image, that doesn't really change that much.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-01-22, 09:01   Link #420
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Yeah considering it is established that Witches can create living beings with their powers (see Gluttony), it is quite possible that Emilia was created by Satella.

However that's still a very strong connection with Satella. Whether Emilia was biologically conceived by the witch of Envy or created by her in her own image, that doesn't really change that much.
One of them introduces the possibility of a father.

Plot twist: through time travel shenanigans, Emilia's father is Subaru. #metooinceste
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote