AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2021-02-18, 02:07   Link #121
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

GQP atrocity of the day: proud seditionist Ted Cruz and his wife jetted down to Cancun today while his state suffers through a massive crisis brought about by the collapse of its power grid (due to lobbyist-demanded changes he helped to usher in).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 03:57   Link #122
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
For the GOPers, its tuesday.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 04:30   Link #123
Key Board
Carbon

If they can blame the power failure on wind turbines instead of frozen gas pipes, they can certainly blame someone else for Ted Cruz being Ted Cruz

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 05:36   Link #124
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So... is the only reason the Texas power grid apparently isn't connected to the national grid because of their desire not to be dependent on federal regulation, or is there something else I'm not understanding from the news.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 08:13   Link #125
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
My understanding is that it's pretty much that: they don't want to have any federal regulations. And I swear I've seen a post or two on the Internet of "We'd rather die than accept anything federal"... well, I'll just leave my very personal, Machiavellian opinion out of this.

Instead, this is my favorite Internet reaction:
Texas, the majority of the time: Screw you Federal Government, we'll find a way to SECEDE and become our OWN nation

Texas, when a major disaster occurs across the majority of the state: Um... we're sowwy. Can you give us money pwease?

The online buzz is that GOP is Gaslight, Obstruct, Project. The more complaining I hear about "handouts" and "welfare states", the more I'm convinced all GOP are Projecting hard as hell.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 10:51   Link #126
cyberdemon

For being the party of religion, god seems to have it out for them. Lol and they’re only on plague 2 of 3
Old 2021-02-18, 11:09   Link #127
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

I can bet my life saving that texas repub are going to blame "federal regulations" as the culprit of this whole ordeal (specially once the death toll becomes available) and that texans will fall for it, line, hook and sinker (and ask for seconds).
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 14:06   Link #128
ramlaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
GQP atrocity of the day: proud seditionist Ted Cruz and his wife jetted down to Cancun today while his state suffers through a massive crisis brought about by the collapse of its power grid (due to lobbyist-demanded changes he helped to usher in).
https://twitter.com/KevinGutzman/sta...70130081353731
Quote:
Much of the power grid is down in Texas, and media report that Sen. Ted Cruz is in Cancun. Fortunately, Texas state law mandates a course in government as a public high school graduation requirement, so Texans know U.S. senators aren't responsible for the state's power grid.
Don't worry, we don't blame you for being told what to be outraged about.
ramlaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 15:27   Link #129
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

...He isn't responsible for the power grid, but as a senator, I would think he would want to hang around when his state is going through a tough time, but that's just me.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 15:48   Link #130
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

He's heading home today, to work with local leaders on the problem. Seems he was taking his family to Mexico since school was still closed. I am willing to give him "bad timing"....at best.
Old 2021-02-18, 16:22   Link #131
James Rye

Plus as Senator he got tons of connections which could be used to help his citizens. Beto did that with his team and volunteers he had build up for that election race he lost and he helped plenty alone by getting to know where who needs what help,
But then again, Ted couldn't be Ted if he started to care about someone else but Ted. I mean, the guy even used his own daughters as excuse for traveling to Mexico when it was obvious due his fly ticket booking that he intended to stay there for his vacations while his state goes through a super-rough time. Don't use your kids as excuse for the stuff you planned yourself. Jesus...
Old 2021-02-18, 17:49   Link #132
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
He's heading home today, to work with local leaders on the problem. Seems he was taking his family to Mexico since school was still closed. I am willing to give him "bad timing"....at best.
I don't, he has a spouse that could have flied with the children no problem, we are no longer in the times of "waifu is too stupid to do anything by herself". Yeah, I know, I do not voted for (or against) lying Ted, but because of this for a whole decade the texas gop has been in bed with big oil, cutting the state grid from the rest of the USA, not following federal regulations so they could get cheap equipment that can't work in freezing temperatures is the reason this week I spent two f*cking days in freezing temperatures INSIDE my house, I fear this weekend electricity will be cut again and local news media are talking that due to gas shortages (yesterday texas governor prohibited selling natural gas from texas to other countries) fresh bread and tortillas are in short supply. Now it is personal!

In short, the only reason that canadian SOB is back is because he was discovered and now fears the backslash. BTW, shouldn't he be 10 days in quarantine? Maybe he could do his in guantanamo, I hear the climate there is peachy.
Old 2021-02-18, 17:54   Link #133
coded321
He Who Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramlaen View Post
https://twitter.com/KevinGutzman/sta...70130081353731

Don't worry, we don't blame you for being told what to be outraged about.
Ah the good old republican gaslighting method of taking credit for anything good that happens, and deflect/blame someone else when they fail.

According to conservative media, Texans shouldn't be outraged at the Texas GOP who completely deregulated the state energy grid and left it unprepared against a foreseeable event, no Texans should be angry at the green new deal, which was never implemented, and at green energy, even though most of the power loss is from fossil fuels and natural gas, with green energy outperforming expectations despite not being winterized. Texans are also being told to be angry at federal regulation, even though the Texas Gop designed the Texas grid to be independent from the rest of the country, allowing them to avoid federal regulations.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-18, 18:38   Link #134
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Respectfully, that's silly IMHO. He tried to sneak out and got caught, now came slinking back and is trying to cover his ass. He deserves every bit of scorn and contempt he's receiving.
Old 2021-02-18, 19:03   Link #135
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coded321 View Post
... method of taking credit for anything good that happens, and deflect/blame someone else when they fail.
That is not exclusive of the gop or even of politicians. But there used to be a thing called "accountability", even dubya once said "The buck stops here". Voters used to punish at the poll any bad apples, regardless of political affiliation, now it seems they reward them and logically they compete between themselves to see who can be the biggest POS, dreaming to reach levels only DJT could.
Old 2021-02-18, 19:54   Link #136
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Cruz' pathetic excuses put to the lie by the neighbors, who probably hate him as much as most people do:

https://twitter.com/hjessy_/status/1...623012352?s=20
Old 2021-02-19, 01:16   Link #137
coded321
He Who Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
That is not exclusive of the gop or even of politicians. But there used to be a thing called "accountability", even dubya once said "The buck stops here". Voters used to punish at the poll any bad apples, regardless of political affiliation, now it seems they reward them and logically they compete between themselves to see who can be the biggest POS, dreaming to reach levels only DJT could.
I would never try to claim democrats are sinless saints, I've had my arguments with Guardian Enzo over my criticisms of the democrat party. While there are more than enough criticisms for the democrat party, the problem is, the republican party has set the bar so, so low, democrats are automatically better simply for acknowledging reality. Combined our outdated two party system, most elections boil down to voting for the lesser of two evils.

And seriously, millions of Texans without power, food, water, and freezing to death, and the first move of the Texas GOP and conservative media is to start a culture war and blame AOC.
coded321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-19, 02:25   Link #138
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Cruz' pathetic excuses put to the lie by the neighbors, who probably hate him as much as most people do:

https://twitter.com/hjessy_/status/1...623012352?s=20
Imagine the brain damage one has to have to go into bat for Ted friggin Cruz!

This whole thing reminds me of the bushfire crisis we had in the end of 2019. These bushfires were devastating in the amount of damage they did to our bush communities and a lot of it was blamed on the state and federal governments general inaction on climate change as well as poor resourcing for our firefighters and emergency services teams. (Not arsonists as right wing bullshitters would like you to believe. A royal commission looked into this and ruled out the arsonists as the major cause).

Where was our PM during this crisis? The cunt pissed off to Hawaii for a holiday; and then got shamed into cutting his holiday and coming back. Not that it helped, he's a terrible leader and theater of him going around to the affected communities and doing a poor job was evident to everyone.

That's still better than Ted Cruz. Our PM's trip was supposedly planned in advance. Ted Cruz left because it was cold!!

And to the criticism of Ted Cruz not being able to do anything while he's in TX, just see what Beto O'Rourke has been up to.

Heck, look at what AOC has been up to!

Ted Cruz deserves all the criticism he's getting. All of that power as a Senator; wasted.
Old 2021-02-19, 04:29   Link #139
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

And seriously, millions of Texans without power, food, water, and freezing to death, and the first move of the Texas GOP and conservative media is to start a culture war and blame AOC.
Past years have showed me that lots of GOP voters are still stuck in the Better Dead Than Red mindset. All Fox and the conservative media need to do is to paint the feds as dirty commies seeking to take the weapons off the hands of brave Texans, turn their boys into little girls and implant Bill Gates' biochips thru Covid19 vaccines. Then you can watch all the hillbillies moving in mass to vote Ted Cruz in power again.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-02-19, 07:35   Link #140
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
I would never try to claim democrats are sinless saints, I've had my arguments with Guardian Enzo over my criticisms of the democrat party. While there are more than enough criticisms for the democrat party, the problem is, the republican party has set the bar so, so low, democrats are automatically better simply for acknowledging reality. Combined our outdated two party system, most elections boil down to voting for the lesser of two evils.
It's the Democratic Party.