AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2021-04-11, 07:34   Link #1
Calca
Expressionless

Hideki Matsuyama could become the first Japanese to win a golfing major

Ahead by 4 going into the final day of The Masters, which can be argued is the biggest of the four majors.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 20:30   Link #2
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I don't know that anyone would argue that the Masters *isn't* the most prestigious of the four majors.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-11, 22:09   Link #3
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
I don't know that anyone would argue that the Masters *isn't* the most prestigious of the four majors.
I think a lot of people would. It’s the youngest, has the most restricted field, and isn’t a “national” championship. Worldwide I don’t think there’s any question the British is the most important - it’s just referred to as The Open or The Championship. Domestically it would come down to the U.S. Open and the Masters I suppose. Nicklaus certainly considered the U.S. Open the #1 tournament in terms of significance.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-12, 19:53   Link #4
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think a lot of people would. It’s the youngest, has the most restricted field, and isn’t a “national” championship. Worldwide I don’t think there’s any question the British is the most important - it’s just referred to as The Open or The Championship. Domestically it would come down to the U.S. Open and the Masters I suppose. Nicklaus certainly considered the U.S. Open the #1 tournament in terms of significance.
None of the others three majors have the mystique of the Masters and Augusta. The British Open comes close, but that green jacket is the most recognizable symbol of golf accomplishment.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-12, 20:53   Link #5
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Certainly for casual and non-golf fans, the Masters is going to be the one they know. But among players and people who follow the sport seriously, it's a different matter. There's going to be a lot of disagreement there, apart from the fact that the PGA is less prestigious than the others. Ultimately it's a subjective argument so there's no "right" answer.

Here's a BBC piece on the subject which I think is pretty even-handed.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-16, 22:16   Link #6
Calca
Expressionless

Regardless, be prepared for a slew of new golf anime to come out in the next few years.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-24, 10:04   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calca View Post
Regardless, be prepared for a slew of new golf anime to come out in the next few years.
I've been waiting for Hataoka Nasa's success on the Ladies' Tour to have a similar effect. High-school golfer wants to join the LPGA Tour. Lots of levelling up and an international rivalry with the South Koreans to add a bit of spice.

I've actually been surprised with how few anime concerned Olympic sports. I expected a rash of them over the past year or two, but I know of only a couple.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote