AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-08-14, 17:07   Link #81
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
I am personally completely against any licensed anime being on youtube. People take advantage of it being uploaded on the site and end up never buying even a DVD and watch the whole series on the site. I am getting really fucking pissed people on other forums tell others "Don't buy it. Just watch it off of youtube.". Personally, if it were up to me, anyone who ever says something like that should be castrated. I am not okay with even one episode being on youtube, nonetheless an entire freaking series. If you want you precious animu shit so bad, buy it and quick crying that it's "too expensive". Be glad that you don't live in Japan and shell out the money for the DVD. Buy used or on sale, or buy it at an inflated price or rent off of Netflix. If you have On Demand and live in one of the only few select areas to have "Anime On Demand" or have friends who have a VHS or DVD, then go ahead and borrow or look up On Demand. There's even regular television such as 4kids TV and Adult Swim. Granted that some people are elitist chucklefucks who would die before watching a "butchered" version of a series", it's still better than watching it illegally. I do not care as long as you are watching a licensed series through a legal source.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 19:21   Link #82
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
I am personally completely against any licensed anime being on youtube. People take advantage of it being uploaded on the site and end up never buying even a DVD and watch the whole series on the site. I am getting really fucking pissed people on other forums tell others "Don't buy it. Just watch it off of youtube.". Personally, if it were up to me, anyone who ever says something like that should be castrated. I am not okay with even one episode being on youtube, nonetheless an entire freaking series. If you want you precious animu shit so bad, buy it and quick crying that it's "too expensive". Be glad that you don't live in Japan and shell out the money for the DVD. Buy used or on sale, or buy it at an inflated price or rent off of Netflix. If you have On Demand and live in one of the only few select areas to have "Anime On Demand" or have friends who have a VHS or DVD, then go ahead and borrow or look up On Demand. There's even regular television such as 4kids TV and Adult Swim. Granted that some people are elitist chucklefucks who would die before watching a "butchered" version of a series", it's still better than watching it illegally. I do not care as long as you are watching a licensed series through a legal source.
Now, here's a question: What do you think of the Japanese person who, say, misses an episode on tv and goes onto youtube to watch it? That person has no intention of buying the dvds either.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 19:48   Link #83
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Now, here's a question: What do you think of the Japanese person who, say, misses an episode on tv and goes onto youtube to watch it? That person has no intention of buying the dvds either.
I still do not think that one person missing an episode and using it for convenience outweighs the thousands of other people who purposely watch it on youtube because then they do not have to give a dime. If it's used for illegal abusement than for practical reasons in the end, it's not worth it in my personal opinion.
Old 2006-08-14, 20:00   Link #84
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

It sounds like broadcast episodes versus DVD releases are getting really confused in this thread....

Broadcast episodes? --- shouldn't be a problem, it is *broadcast*... the quality on youtube is so poor it almost might as well be radio anyway.
DVD releases of episodes (cleaned up, re-edited, with subs/dubs, and bonuses)? --- buy them or die (why you'd want to watch a DVD over youtube is beyond me)

Last edited by Vexx; 2006-08-14 at 20:57.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 20:40   Link #85
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
YouTube is a much easier (albeit clunkier) way to recommend people into this hobby. If I were to tell those who haven't a clue to grab MPC, BT, and CCCP they'd instantly tell me off. I'm all for the "try before you buy" concept that YouTube can provide. I also support the convenience that video site providers such as YouTube provide to those people who missed an episode. However, those that use YouTube simply to get around having to pay for product are completely clueless and shouldn't be deemed a threat to the stability of the market.
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-14, 20:46   Link #86
deathbygirl

Quote:
I still do not think that one person missing an episode and using it for convenience outweighs the thousands of other people who purposely watch it on youtube because then they do not have to give a dime. If it's used for illegal abusement than for practical reasons in the end, it's not worth it in my personal opinion.
By this logic, I suppose you should extend your ideology to fansubs as well, correct? People "do not have to give a dime [sic]" and they are used for "illegal abusement [sic]", thus should not be promoted in any manner and taken down immediately (this includes fansubs of unlicensed shows, of course, since all fansubs are technically illegal in nature).
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 00:14   Link #87
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbygirl
By this logic, I suppose you should extend your ideology to fansubs as well, correct? People "do not have to give a dime [sic]" and they are used for "illegal abusement [sic]", thus should not be promoted in any manner and taken down immediately (this includes fansubs of unlicensed shows, of course, since all fansubs are technically illegal in nature).
Now you're catching on to what I'm getting at. I also frown upon downloading torrents of licensed and unlincensed anime unless someone is 150% sure that the series will never be licensed ever, and I do me ever. If 8 more years go by, I would safely say that Toei will never let another company relicense it for U.S. release since they are apparently jerks all of a sudden.

Shirobane: If I really had to accept some sort of anime on youtube, it would only be the first episode of a series, but only if it is loaded up with the licensing company's permission. It would help me sleep easier at night knowing that the first episode of AzuDai was on youtube because the uploader got legal permission to put it up in the first place.
Old 2006-08-15, 00:15   Link #88
Spooky-Electric

I suppose technically watching anime on youtube is no different from the traditional fansubs, however there is something about the ease of use of youtube that bugs me.

People that don't know how to use torrents or about having proper video codecs can watch it so easily.

I guess it's the ease that it brings fansubs to the masses that bugs me for some reason.

For me it is no replacement at all for the much higher video quality that I spend the time downloading.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 00:46   Link #89
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Quote:
Shirobane: If I really had to accept some sort of anime on youtube, it would only be the first episode of a series, but only if it is loaded up with the licensing company's permission. It would help me sleep easier at night knowing that the first episode of AzuDai was on youtube because the uploader got legal permission to put it up in the first place.
However content on YouTube and similar services are not permanent. Seriously, those that haven't caught onto bootlegs aren't the problem.

I find that 1 episode is simply not enough to gauge a series' worth. There have been many times that I've dropped a series after the third episode and there have been times that the ending completely soiled the series. For a western example, if the DVDs for a season of 24 came out after ONE episode aired, how many people would go out and buy the entire DVD set?

I'll just leave it at that, this isn't the place to go on about the ethics of fansubbing.
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 01:55   Link #90
deathbygirl

Quote:
I also frown upon downloading torrents of licensed and unlicensed anime unless someone is 150% sure that the series will never be licensed ever, and I do mean ever.
If I properly understood what you previously stated, it would be correct to assume you would download (or tolerate the downloading of) an episode of a series (by means of YouTube, BitTorrent, IRC, etc.) that has a "150% sure [sic]" chance of remaining unlicensed, right?

This begs the question... What, if anything, makes a particular fansub of a series more legal (i.e. acceptable) than another, whether that series remains unlicensed or becomes licensed somewhere down the line?
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 16:13   Link #91
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

I love how some people think I was a hypocrite, when clearly if they read and understood my whole opinion, they would understand that I wasn't being double-standard. I guess it's true by the looks of my Sailor Moon fansub comment: Sarcasm is completely impossible to detect on the internet without some damned emoticon. Heaven forbid that some people can notice when I make a complete BS comment, but then again, I should have known by now that people on AS are freakishly super-literal. I keep forgetting that people here aren't like the people on several other forums I go to. Animesuki debates: Serious Business, my friends. Serious business.

Generally, for those who fail at noticing the sarcasm, I do not approve of fansubs of any kind since you are translating one's work without their permission. This is why companies such as ADV, FUNimation, and several others dish out millions to sub anime, and I feel the same way about dubbing. However, there are so many fansubs on the internet and so few fan-dubs, that fan-dubbing isn't a major problem.

I'm okay with one episode of a series being on youtube with legal permission gotten, but anything more than that without permission I frown upon.

Plus, if you have to watch more than 1/6th of an entire damn series, it's not worth your time unless it really kicks ass and takes names. That is why I gave up on several series from watching it OnDemand. In the end, if youtube does delete a series off a site, it usually takes for-freaking-ever. Some series have still yet to be taken down. They're too slow to make deletion make a difference since the people have now seen it, and now no longer have the incentive to buy the DVDs. I also blame that some licensing companies don't make it more difficult to rip copies of their DVD releases.

Either way, I completely support fansubs of Sailor Moon on this site. <------ I'M USING AN EMOTICON TO HELP MOST OF YOU DETECT MY SARCASTIC STATEMENT EVENTHOUGH I SHOULDN'T REALLY NEED TO IF YOU READ MY PAST FEW POSTS. I DO NOT CARE HOW MUCH OF A DICK I AM BEING.
Old 2006-08-15, 16:45   Link #92
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Generally, for those who fail at noticing the sarcasm, I do not approve of fansubs of any kind since you are translating one's work without their permission. This is why companies such as ADV, FUNimation, and several others dish out millions to sub anime, and I feel the same way about dubbing.
O RLY? Why are you, O Being of a Morally Higher Standard, present on this fansub forum then? Could it possibly be (horrible thought) that you are downloading or discussing fansubs? Or are you here only to frequent the DVD & Licensed forums, or just to flaunt your higher moral standing?

As for ADV and their ilk, I don't care in the slightest where they spend their millions of dollars. I don't like their products, I don't buy them if I can avoid it, and in my most humble opinion, modern copyright law is outdated, stupid and counterproductive.

Moreover, the "ethics" of fansubbing has been extensively debated around here, and you have so far contributed nothing new to the discussion. Stating to the world that you are of the "conservative party", so to speak, and that you Do Not Approve of fansubs is of little or no general interest. Start a constructive thread about the virtues of copyright and why you consider piracy bad instead. Noone cares about your opinion unless you back it up with more reasons than "I DO NOT APPROVE".
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 16:56   Link #93
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Can we get back to the topic under discussion (whatever that was actually meant to be).

Any more discussion on morals and the such like will just be deleted.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 17:22   Link #94
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Well, I can't download, since my computer is closely to it peak of crashing... This 7 years piece of junk only has around 25 GB, so its not so surprising why I watch them in YouTube... Only anime I have on my computer that I personally downloaded is Elfen Lied... I did had Bleach and Tsubasa Chronicle, but they were to darn long to be kept...
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 19:37   Link #95
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
I belive posting anime on youtube licensed or unlicensed. I just checked on youtube now and all of the ZegaPain videos were taking down do to a request from sunrise inc. There is almost nothing that zegapain on there. All the matchups and ops, ends, and episodes are gone.

What worrys me is if Japanese companys can just tell a large site like youtube. Stop showing their stuff. What stops them from tell sites like animesuki from stoping listing their shows. I would be like Media Factory all over again.

And with that new treaty the US just signed which allows japan and other nations force the US to arrest people that are doing thing illegal under their laws on the internet Slandering a polition, distributing copyrighted works.
Old 2006-08-15, 20:15   Link #96
Ensign Shiro Amada
Kopitar's Herald

Quote:
I'm okay with one episode of a series being on youtube with legal permission gotten, but anything more than that without permission I frown upon.
When will even one episode of anime ever be legally posted on YouTube? No raw anime posted can be legal because, as we all know, it's illegal to record/distribute it online in the first place. And fat chance any of the American anime production companies are going to give permission, if they wanted to present free previews to the public they would do it through their own resources and not through YouTube.

Last edited by Ensign Shiro Amada; 2006-08-16 at 02:53.
Ensign Shiro Amada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-15, 21:02   Link #97
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by [darkfire]
I just checked on youtube now and all of the ZegaPain videos were taking down do to a request from sunrise inc. There is almost nothing that zegapain on there. All the matchups and ops, ends, and episodes are gone.
Did it actually say "At the request of sunrise" or "at the request of the copyright holder" or did you just make that part up. They say explicitly when a company tells them. I have not seen youtube remove an anime video yet by request of the Japanese license holder. Almost all of them are reported by users and youtube will usually nuke fansubs when they are reported. Many other sunrise shows are still available.

Quote:
What worrys me is if Japanese companys can just tell a large site like youtube. Stop showing their stuff. What stops them from tell sites like animesuki from stoping listing their shows. I would be like Media Factory all over again.
Youtube is VERY explicit in that they will bend over for the copyright holders. I do not see why them going after a large site matters at all for any other site that does not explicitly display their videos.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 07:54   Link #98
Cloudy-Sky

Ebay is perfect example of a user policing system gone wrong. There are more bootlegs than legitimate dvds on Ebay.

Youtube need to hire staff to combat the problem of copyright infringement however like Ebay, i doubt they will do this.

I'd also just like to add i completly agree with Razer_2mb viewpoint.
Cloudy-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 08:26   Link #99
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy-Sky
Ebay is perfect example of a user policing system gone wrong. There are more bootlegs than legitimate dvds on Ebay.

Youtube need to hire staff to combat the problem of copyright infringement however like Ebay, i doubt they will do this.

I'd also just like to add i completly agree with Razer_2mb viewpoint.
A user policing system is only as effective as the simplicity of reporting bad items. Youtube is a few clicks from my understanding. Therefore (according to articles), people are able to go on large reporting bombing runs and thus kill off series in one sweep (i.e. Zegapain.) Ebay puts you to hell and back to report a single user and then usually ignores you since you are not the copyright holder.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-17, 19:41   Link #100
[darkfire]
Give them the What For!
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to [darkfire] Send a message via Yahoo to [darkfire]
Quote:
Originally Posted by youtube
This video has been removed at the request of copyright owner Sunrise, Inc. because its content was used without permission
this is exacty wat it says. Do a search on zegapain and try to view a video your self