AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2021-07-08, 03:35   Link #3521
WingedAccelerator

If you are supportive of the pair, then of course you will find an interpretation that suits your taste. No problem with that.

But what I have written on my previous post, mainly about the numerous chapters where something like this should have already happened, but it didn't, also should have a fair point. When other characters asked about Iino, when even Ishigami brought up Iino, when even Iino hinted at herself, when it would have felt way more natural, you can't deny people feeling this whole moment with the setup was really damn forced and Aka could have done it way better.

Then again, if Aka is going for some big troll, then expect Ishigami's answer to be something along the lines of: "Iino... To me, you are... *2-page spread*... "like a nagging little sister, which I can't help, but look after".
Old 2021-07-08, 08:18   Link #3522
Konja9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Finally read it and honestly I feel like you guys either misread something or exaggerated it to no end. I don't even think I can buy that stuff about him being pushed by in-universe shippers. Onodera didn't hit Ishigami because she wanted him to get off his backside and do something, she was mad because she feels like Miko's feelings for Ishigami led to the situation and so she's just looking for an outlet to her anger. She dragged him in partly because she'd already gone after him in her anger and thus revealed part of the situation, but to a big extent because she felt she could trust him not to go spread uncertain gossip.

One of the big things though is that he really didn't seem near as unhappy to be there as suggested. Yes, he's clearly uneasy, but it doesn't look like "this's a drag, she can do what she wants it has nothing to do with me". Rather, he seems afraid of getting involved. He doesn't want to make another mistake messing up the lives around him. So he ducks his head and tries to back off. And Onodera doesn't nag him or anything, she just asks if Miko really is just a random "somebody" to him. It doesn't matter if he sees her as a friend or as a love interest, that question would be the same: is this person who may be in trouble really just a face in the crowd that you feel OK abandoning to protect your own skin?

Overall, I'd say that his emotional investment is much higher than the previews suggested, and the outside pressure much less. Even the thought at the end didn't seem to suggest that he's thinking or suspecting that he might have "always loved her", just wondering exactly what it is he feels toward her. This's exactly what he'd need to think about for the story to progress one way or another: what is she to me.
I agree with everything you say.

Ishigami is pretty invested in this situation. Onodera drag him, but ir's clear the only reason why he has doubts about acting is due to his previous experience with Ootomo.

Only the ending hints the possibility of somethig romantic from Ishigami.

Last edited by Konja9; 2021-07-08 at 08:57.
Old 2021-07-08, 14:48   Link #3523
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
If you are supportive of the pair, then of course you will find an interpretation that suits your taste. No problem with that.

But what I have written on my previous post, mainly about the numerous chapters where something like this should have already happened, but it didn't, also should have a fair point. When other characters asked about Iino, when even Ishigami brought up Iino, when even Iino hinted at herself, when it would have felt way more natural, you can't deny people feeling this whole moment with the setup was really damn forced and Aka could have done it way better.
Funny, when I read your past remarks I felt "Well, if you're opposed enough to a ship you'll find some 'interpretation' that makes it look dumb". Personally, I don't find it that forced. Not because I sat down and tried to reason an interpretation that made it seem like a natural outcome, but because it legitimately felt like how things would turn out with the characters in question. And because every image, the way he held his head, the memories the he recalled, just fit.

Of course, I won't deny that it's not perfect. Could be some parts that could've been handled better. But overall, I found it to be quite well-done and fitting.
Old 2021-07-08, 18:11   Link #3524
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It makes sense to me that Ishigami would start question himself now. He had someone to make him jealous this time, even if it was just a misunderstanding.
Old 2021-07-09, 20:01   Link #3525
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I don't think Aka is the type to pull a WTF, I like her now move that you usually see on run on the mill romcoms, it would make a dent on his career IMO.
Old 2021-07-09, 22:51   Link #3526
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Yeah, judging by what he's done up to now I'd guess that it will indeed end up with an upgrade to his feelings and eventually their relationship, but it won't be a simple "oh, I love her", much less an "oh, I've always loved her". He seems better than that. And from the quality I've seen and come to expect, even if he did pull something like that I'm sure he'd present it in a way that would still move. Sort of like that manga they all read way back when, where even when someone saw the tropes coming they still couldn't help but be moved. I haven't cried for this series, but I certainly have been impressed regardless of whether something seemed unique and different or predictable and cliche.
Old 2021-07-10, 22:24   Link #3527
Ichinotachi

Oh here we go, some spoilers before the chapter is out. Osaragi asking Kaguya for help.

Spoiler for pics:
Old 2021-07-10, 23:29   Link #3528
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Aka managed to make me enjoy this shoujo-manga development
hahaha if this happened in shoujo manga, usually I drop it but I actually like it here

Ishigami is playing this like VN already. He just need to choose which route he wanted to do (Tsubame, Osaragi, Onodera, Koromo, or Iino are totally okay)
Old 2021-07-11, 07:20   Link #3529
Tenzen12

Well Tsubame was dead end though.
Old 2021-07-11, 09:44   Link #3530
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Guess I was kind of right about the Buddha's Begging Bowl, that it would end up with Osaragi having to confront her feelings about Miko and Ishigami. And just like how in Kaguya the prince brought a fake bowl, she's starting to see herself as a fake friend due to her inability to support her and apparently her jealousy.

Of course, if jealousy is the problem (in the excerpt she says she simply can't handle Ishigami dating Miko, then says "a friend on the surface" may fit her perfectly given her jealousy of Miko), I wonder why she didn't have a problem with Ishigami dating Tsubame. I'm guessing it's either 1: she admires Tsubame so much that if he dates her she can shrug it off as an inevitability but she doesn't respect Miko that much and would find herself wondering why he didn't choose her, or 2: while she considers Tsubame a friend, she's still a more distant acquaintance and thus she wouldn't be face-to-face with the happy couple on a daily basis the way she will if he dates Miko; she doesn't want to end up like Maki. At least it'd probably be one of these if that's what she means by jealousy.
Old 2021-07-12, 02:42   Link #3531
WingedAccelerator

Osaragi supported Ishigami's happiness, not Iino's. Since Ishigami specifically wanted to be with Tsubame, Osaragi had no problem with the potential of them dating.

I'm afraid that no matter what reasoning she tries to convey here, it's going to boil down to how both her and Iino love Ishigami. Despite what Chapter 192 may have implied.

So she is content if neither of them succeed, but since Tsubame is out and Iino has a chance now and actively tries, it starts to annoy her, since she could have been the one to try, but decided not to for various circumstances a long time ago. Incoming further annoying chapters.
Old 2021-07-12, 08:53   Link #3532
Ichinotachi

Chapter is out, here is a proper summary. It seems that Aka had other plans before dealing with Ishigami.

Spoiler for ch:
Old 2021-07-12, 09:43   Link #3533
BWTraveller
Born to ship

OK, first off, just what "implication" did you see in 192? I looked back and it looked to suggest that Osaragi didn't believe that Miko's feelings are "real love", but that's just about the only implication I saw. I didn't see anything concerning what her feelings amounted to.

But really, I hate that fatalist attitude that love never lasts. Partly because I know it to be false, as I've known people whose love remained just as deep from early adulthood straight to the day they died of old age. It can and does last, but it's something you have to work at. Just like how plants will die if not watered and cared for, if you don't keep fighting for your love it can and will whither, but that's not because the love was doomed from the get-go.

Either way, I never really liked Osaragi that much, felt like she was judgmental and biased, and the worst kind of shipper who either ships because "I like A and I like B so A and B should be together", or because "B is like me so I want B to get A". I kind of have some doubts about what she said about her relationship with Miko though. Some of the scenes going back felt like at the least Miko had opened herself up to her. More like the friendship was a little one-sided as she wasn't entirely willing to open up and when jealousy started to slip in she locked herself away even further.

Either way, I'm honestly glad they're taking their time with the romance side. There's definitely a lot to unpack, and a simple "Oh I love you" would be boring and unfair to all parties. Far better for him to worry over things as he finally starts to question things while Miko seeks out ways to get closer. As I've said, the big problem with this sort of romance story is when it's rushed; if it's given time to develop and happen more naturally it's far less likely to disappoint and annoy any but the most obstinate shippers.
Old 2021-07-12, 10:56   Link #3534
WingedAccelerator

The implication was with her monologue and the panels occupying it. She took interest in Ishigami, but saw Ishigami giving Iino the flower and the letter. Despite asking Ishigami about the intent behind it, which according to Ishigami was not romantic, she still worded the monologue as suggesting that she gave up on Ishigami in the past already, as not every like meant to be love.

So the implication was that she indeed supports Ishigami's happiness to get together with Tsubame, because that's what Ishigami is working towards, and there is no ill will, jealousy, hatred or anything like that we don't know about between her and Iino that doesn't let her support Iino instead or even partially.

Comes in this chapter, and while I'm not buying everything she has said yet, as I think it's way easier and convenient for her if Iino just simply ends friendship with her, we did learn there was indeed ill will, jealousy, hatred or something between them that triggered her in the present, so that was the real reason she was all aboard Team Tsubame, and not Iino. And if she still loves Ishigami in the present despite her monologue implying she accepted "like", then in my opinion, Aka unnecessarily shot a bullet through her to make her more unappealing.

The upcoming flashback can go easily to the direction of Osaragi sabotaging Ishigami and Iino bonding with something serious, and that's why both turned out the way with each other in the present. And if this will be the case, then good luck for the other pairings, because this would be indeed unfair to any valid or non-valid contestants.
Old 2021-07-12, 11:35   Link #3535
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Honestly, I hated Osaragi straight from the point of the final confession. For her to be so obsessed with her ship that she thought the pair would be happy after he took advantage of a psychological weakness to force Tsubame into a relationship is just messed up. Her insistence that Miko's just not a good fit or that there's no potential there just makes things worse.

That sabotage idea makes sense and would be rather interesting. Like, maybe she saw things moving a certain way and deliberately tried to make them hate each other out of jealousy. After that, she couldn't feel worthy of Ishigami, and started treating him the way he treated Kyoko, but also couldn't see herself as Miko's friend. Whatever the case, I hope reconciliation occurs (I'm really big on reconciliation stories), but it looks like we could have some very interesting content coming.
Old 2021-07-12, 18:36   Link #3536
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I suspect Osaragi said this because she knew Miko was listening. If not, we can safely hand the title of worst girl over to her.
Old 2021-07-13, 01:01   Link #3537
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I suspect Osaragi said this because she knew Miko was listening. If not, we can safely hand the title of worst girl over to her.
I suspect it's both: she felt guilty because she couldn't let go of her feelings for Ishigami that easily and did feel jealous, so she did intentionally say all of that to push Miko away.

I don't think she hates Miko as much as she claims though, because that's a rather flimsy excuse to justify why she chose to hang out with her all the time.
Old 2021-07-13, 07:09   Link #3538
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I suspect it's both: she felt guilty because she couldn't let go of her feelings for Ishigami that easily and did feel jealous, so she did intentionally say all of that to push Miko away.

I don't think she hates Miko as much as she claims though, because that's a rather flimsy excuse to justify why she chose to hang out with her all the time.
This is what I meant. There's no doubt she feels jealous, but I don't buy that whole "I've always hated Miko" thing. She said that so that Miko would distance herself from her and she would feel less hurt if Ishigami and her started dating. No one wants to be Maki
Old 2021-07-13, 10:17   Link #3539
WingedAccelerator

As long as it's not a completely one-sided backstory, where Osaragi has no real valid criticizable points over Iino, I will be content. On the other hand, if it's Iino victimization again, where big bad Osaragi mastermind did everything due to pure jealousy, I will be disappointed.

Whatever it is, Osaragi indeed feliberately chose to sever ties this way, because she doesn't want a true heart-to-heart with Iino.
Old 2021-07-14, 01:24   Link #3540
Sixth
Hu Tao

I did have the thought that Osaragi was a crappy friend to Miko and the chapter is actually confirmed for me because there is no way a "best friend" will let her friend suffer in agony. It does say a lot when not-Miko's best friend aka Miyuki and Onodera was the ones that helping and easing her pain at that time.

Well done, Aka because there is indeed a reason why Osaragi refuses to help Miko at that time.
Closed Thread

Tags
character derailment, coming of age, desconstruction, genre shift, love triangle, memeguya, no longer our guy, quality decline, romcom, school life