Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2021-05-22, 10:58   Link #141
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
So I decided to watch this in Japanese theaters, despite my own japanese ability being about elementary-school level. Even so.. I'm gonna dare to call this Anno's masterpiece. From what it seemed to me, Anno took the Eva series and wrapped up the story pretty nicely with a beautiful bow tie.

Spoiler for 3.0 +1:

When English Subtitles finally get put on, I'm definitely re-watching it. With the exception of 3.0, I've preferred the Rebuilds to the original, and this was a fantastic way to wrap up the series.
Watch the JP subs. Way easier than just pure audio. But yes, you are more or less spot on. Gendo is basically that one guy who became over attached to his partner far beyond what is healthy because he could not face his own issues. So like his son basically except Shinji got over it.

And yeah, that Yui and Shinji scene was A+
Old 2021-06-19, 21:57   Link #142
LG-MAX 2.o

Blu-ray come out August 25, 2021: https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E7%B7...3S0Z40X0VQCGSE
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-01, 10:12   Link #143
saya_leviathan

It's heading for Amazon Prime Video on August 15.
https://twitter.com/khara_inc/status...14176179912707
saya_leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-30, 05:36   Link #144
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligerleon89 View Post
Spoiler for Just my thoughts about what I know so far as vague as I can make it.:
Good riddance I say. Tired of all the false broken promises, disjointed storytelling and overhype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Asuka wasn't really sunk though.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited by LKK; 2021-07-30 at 09:00. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use Edit or Multi-Quote button instead.
Wheeljack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-30, 21:02   Link #145
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeljack83 View Post
Good riddance I say. Tired of all the false broken promises, disjointed storytelling and overhype.

Spoiler:
Nah, you just expected something that was never there at all. Also to call a spade a spade? This was indeed a fitting thematic end.

In the first place, since when was EVA even a romance about whom Shinji ends up with? If anything the central relationship in every of his in every iteration of the story, is with Rei and their relationship is not your usual shipping romance. He did what he set out to do with everyone of the cast. Mari coming in at the end is just basically symbolic of a new start, that's all
Old 2021-07-31, 04:43   Link #146
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Nah, you just expected something that was never there at all. Also to call a spade a spade? This was indeed a fitting thematic end.

In the first place, since when was EVA even a romance about whom Shinji ends up with? If anything the central relationship in every of his in every iteration of the story, is with Rei and their relationship is not your usual shipping romance. He did what he set out to do with everyone of the cast. Mari coming in at the end is just basically symbolic of a new start, that's all
Spoiler:

The fact that we waited 9 years for this movie is absolute garbage.
Old 2021-07-31, 21:08   Link #147
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Spoiler:

The fact that we waited 9 years for this movie is absolute garbage.
No, it's not a romance.....The entire movie as a whole would have made that clear. You base your opinion off one scene at the end while disregarding everything else?

Quote:
Why does he need a new start with Mari of all people? It's dumb and ridiculous.
Because Ano wanted something to say, EVA's plot is done, let's go forward now? It's less about Mari than conveying this. Could he have done it another way, sure.....But it's not exactly a major deal in light of the rest of the show. To each their own though
Old 2021-07-31, 22:42   Link #148
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
To add on, the ultimate theme of the movie is, It's Time To Let Go And Move On.

This includes all the shippers of the original series: Anno's basically saying, it's time to move on from Rei and Asuka (despite these two being the primary girls for over 2 decades), and have something new instead, your ships be damned.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-07-31, 23:28   Link #149
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Anyone with a clue would have known that from the original series...If people seriously needed the movies to get that, or still don't, then I laugh.

Furthermore, it is rich of Anno to say that. There was no need to do anything beyond the original series. Sure, there is a fanatical following of Evangelion. But if you're going to tell me Anno's own obsessions aren't part of the problem, I laugh even harder.

And that is why I - and many of my friends - refer to this franchise as Don't Mention The War. Most people have moved on. The rest should too. Especially Anno. That includes getting mental help. Hmm, maybe Mari was his IRL psychiatrist...
Old 2021-07-31, 23:45   Link #150
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Anyone with a clue would have known that from the original series...If people seriously needed the movies to get that, or still don't, then I laugh.

Furthermore, it is rich of Anno to say that. There was no need to do anything beyond the original series. Sure, there is a fanatical following of Evangelion. But if you're going to tell me Anno's own obsessions aren't part of the problem, I laugh even harder.

And that is why I - and many of my friends - refer to this franchise as Don't Mention The War. Most people have moved on. The rest should too. Especially Anno. That includes getting mental help. Hmm, maybe Mari was his IRL psychiatrist...
I care more about the branch companies of Gainax TBH....what happened to Gaina? Where is Top wo Nerae 3???! Anno obviously is doing well. What about the rest?
Old 2021-07-31, 23:57   Link #151
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

I re-read through this thread from the beginning (all the way back in 2012!)... and so all those other opinions were interesting, to say the least.

I'm certainly more of a fan of these newer movies, but of course so many are fans of the original series, and hence a lot of the vitriol about these movies. Of course, it does raise the question of "Why would Anno re-do the series?" Which still remains a good question, but some of th ideas that I saw and might be true:

Probably the biggest one, for those who don't know, is that there were a lot of issues with Gainax. While the original Eva as between Gainax and Production I.G... one idea tossed out was to remake the Eva series, but this time with Anno's own studio Khara. Actually, I'm thinking that might be close to the truth: re-do the series, but make sure that Gainax can't claim Eva anymore (my understanding is that Anno was PISSED at Gainax, but I forget all the reasons why)

Another theory I'm willing to float of why these even exist: so that the entire franchise, including the spinoff games and manga, could finally all be tied together. So call these movies an alternative but still canon. If you like your psychological mindfuckery and teenagers dealing with PTSD and generally Bad Shit Happening (this is how I'm going to phrase it, since no one, not even Anno himself, can tell you the real message behing EVA), enjoy the original series. Meanwhile, I have enjoyed Shinji actually making a goddamned decision and growing a pair of balls in the face of literal world-ending events... I'm hearing a term called "Reiwa Energy" being used to describe a slow but sure cultural shift in some manga at least, and I'm just going to say that this final Eva movie also uses the so-called "Reiwa Energy"

Oh, and one other comment still strikes me: While Anno himself is done with the franchise, supposedly he's said that if anyone else wants to do their own take on Eva, Anno would enjoy a legacy like that of Gundam, being a major franchise in japan.

Old 2021-08-01, 00:31   Link #152
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Anno is “done” with Eva the way Miyazaki is retired. There’s not enough salt in the world.

Also worth noting that I.G. had relatively little to do with the original TV version of NGE. It was Tatsunoko that co-produced it with Gainax. It was only with the Eva movies that I.G. moved into a co-pilot role (which led to a similar relationship on FLCL).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-08-02, 04:01   Link #153
Wheeljack83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
To add on, the ultimate theme of the movie is, It's Time To Let Go And Move On.

This includes all the shippers of the original series: Anno's basically saying, it's time to move on from Rei and Asuka (despite these two being the primary girls for over 2 decades), and have something new instead, your ships be damned.
Then he shouldn't have waited 9 years to make this. Unforgivable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Anno is “done” with Eva the way Miyazaki is retired. There’s not enough salt in the world.

Also worth noting that I.G. had relatively little to do with the original TV version of NGE. It was Tatsunoko that co-produced it with Gainax. It was only with the Eva movies that I.G. moved into a co-pilot role (which led to a similar relationship on FLCL).
Pretty much this.
Old 2021-08-02, 20:38   Link #154
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Quote:
Then he shouldn't have waited 9 years to make this. Unforgivable.
I could make comparisons here and go off on a tangent, but I'll cut straight to the chase: yes, nine years is a long time for a final movie. But not-so-fun-fact: the movie almost really didn't happen, and so everything in 3.33 would've remained unanswered... but I suppose you'd be fine with that.

It took 9 nine years because A) Anno only got his creative spark back after directing Shin Godzilla in 2016 and B) it would've been released in 2020, but we had this thing called Covid running rampant (arguably we still do).

Yes, nine years is a LONG time. But it's his story, and he finally finished it (for now), and finished it in an excellent way. So I'm more than willing to forgive him. Don't be upset that your ship was sank, though that's probably asking too much.

Old 2021-08-06, 08:06   Link #155
SidVicious
Anime addict

I can't wait to see this movie.
So many years waiting and it's almost here.
Old 2021-08-08, 02:38   Link #156
Wheeljack83

The only person who isn't letting go and moving on is Hideaki Anno.
Old 2021-08-13, 17:14   Link #157
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Watched it, and the message is... exactly the same as that of the original series? Was there any point to these movies beyond being giant cashgrabs?

Spoiler for Spoilers:
Old 2021-08-13, 17:34   Link #158
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

I'm just happy its finally over.
Old 2021-08-13, 18:35   Link #159
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Now that I'm done avoiding spoilers I've been checking out discussions here and there and people are comparing the ending to Madoka's when they should be comparing it to Rahxephon... which to me has always been the superior version of Evangelion. I'm probably going to get hanged for saying this.
Old 2021-08-13, 19:15   Link #160
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
I'm just happy its finally over.
For now...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote