AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2021-09-09, 01:36   Link #10821
Amelgar

Just finished reading さよならウィザード (n5562he). It was... pretty good. Really pulled on my heartstrings.

It's a bit darker than some of XPJbox's other works on nocturne. The first chapter especially so. But fear not, it has a happy ending!
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-09, 09:46   Link #10822
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelgar View Post
It's a bit darker than some of XPJbox's other works on nocturne.
Have you read https://novel18.syosetu.com/n4859gs/ ?
Old 2021-09-09, 14:43   Link #10823
Amelgar

oh... no I hadn't. I'd only read a few of the longer novels which are generally not very dark.
I tend to avoid shorter stories which I guess saved me from some heartburn in this case...

Last edited by Amelgar; 2021-09-09 at 15:15.
Amelgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-30, 17:21   Link #10824
sasuke706

Been reading アースウィズダンジョン lately. It actually has decent characterization and seems to have a plot it cares about. That's a pretty big plus considering a lot of newer novels I've checked out have often lacked both. Has an interesting setting too, taking place in a somewhat post-apocalyptic Earth that was mostly rampaged by fantasy monsters. Has its flaws of course but it does good at keeping my interest.

Oddly enough I even found it on the rankings in the rare exception my tastes lined up with the average readerbase on Narou. The rankings have been mostly a giant joke for a couple years now.
Only reason it was on there is likely due to the author uploading several sizeable chapters a day, compared to the usual numerous extremely small 'chapters' a day other authors use as an excuse to try to get on the rankings alongside their instant-gratification story progression style.

Yes I'm really jaded today.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-30, 22:18   Link #10825
Greenish Growth

That reminds me. I should actually check out the General category ranking list again just to see how it is. So often I went through it and found nothing interesting at all.. I got tired of all the zamaa, expulsion, villainesses, broken engagement stories. The isekai stories were too similar to each other too.

Why are there so many mediocre novels on the top raking lists nowadays? Is there a reason? Are the stories getting picked up sooner? Are fewer novels even reaching the half way point?

At least bad/ruined romance relationships are still fun for me although there are a lot of mediocre stories in that category too. Stories where the childhood friend are bad from the start are not fun. Those stories are mostly zamaa and simple minded zamaa will always only be simple minded zamaa.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-09-30, 22:41   Link #10826
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
That reminds me. I should actually check out the General category ranking list again just to see how it is. So often I went through it and found nothing interesting at all.. I got tired of all the zamaa, expulsion, villainesses, broken engagement stories. The isekai stories were too similar to each other too.

Why are there so many mediocre novels on the top raking lists nowadays? Is there a reason? Are the stories getting picked up sooner? Are fewer novels even reaching the half way point?

At least bad/ruined romance relationships are still fun for me although there are a lot of mediocre stories in that category too. Stories where the childhood friend are bad from the start are not fun. Those stories are mostly zamaa and simple minded zamaa will always only be simple minded zamaa.
It's mostly just that since they're all takes on the same few stories, they've picked up a large number of people who are coming specifically for those kinds of stories. Self-perpetuating loop
Old 2021-10-09, 22:00   Link #10827
wuhugm
Confused Shark

Eyyy never came here again

A question resurfaced in my mind

Isekai, unlike the technological progress of our world seems stagnated
There were stories about Maou thousand years ago, defeated by a party of heroes, comprised of wizard, swordsman, etc
But then, thousand years later, people are still fighting the same way, same fighter classification too
You'd think after millenniums, people who'd devise better fighting style and tool
Storing Mana in cannisters or something
Y no progress, my dude?

wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-10, 01:27   Link #10828
Kyureki
Part-time Translator

There are some settings where there are proper reasons for it, usually being some kind of higher force/power that forces civilization to stay below a certain level or face a reset/destruction, but otherwise... That's just proof of how thoughtless the majority of the writers are.
Old 2021-10-10, 03:43   Link #10829
sasuke706

I always liked the idea of the introduction of mana and magic as a base element to a universe brings drastic changes as well. In most stories mana and magic is 100% helpful to humans save for enemy creatures also being able to use it. Realistically, the introduction of such a potent widespread and easily malleable energy, without tools no less, would have exponential reactions with other base elements.

Sometimes it's just basic things, like the introduction of mithril, adamantite and whatnot. A useful yet very common example of its presence affecting the development of metals. On the other hand, sometimes we see convenient magic-oriented diseases, or curses. But then natural disasters that function using existing energies, such as earthquakes essentially being the result of thermal energy and lightning being the result of kinetic energy fun, we rarely ever see mana cause anything or even modify existing ones.

However, among the changes in the nonstop free-for-all battle of elementary particles, there could be changes to things that make them much different. Perhaps it's harder or even impossible to produce a fire through the means of a 'normal' chemical reaction. Maybe electricity is hard to produce, maybe it's hard to store, or maybe it can't be readily transported over long distances. Mana might be a natural jammer for radio waves. Could be that the introduction and mutations caused by mana dulls the human innate desire to build and create to an extent.

tl;dr bro I wanna see a massive mana-powered tornado doing some real weird shit.
Old 2021-10-10, 04:01   Link #10830
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Isn't Mana usually intangible until it's processed into Maryoku and casted as magic/aura?

^^Holy mother of plot convenience

Also, despite the stagnation of the world for thousands of years
Somehow during the life of MC, the world is changing greatly whether MC contributed something or not
Royalties overthrown, new weapons introduced, appearance of new beings and upscaling of power levels etc
All of those in the span of few years, or even months after MC became adventurer

Despite insisting that MC is not-choosen-one, he is the choosen one rumao

Old 2021-10-10, 11:23   Link #10831
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
Been reading アースウィズダンジョン lately. It actually has decent characterization and seems to have a plot it cares about. That's a pretty big plus considering a lot of newer novels I've checked out have often lacked both. Has an interesting setting too, taking place in a somewhat post-apocalyptic Earth that was mostly rampaged by fantasy monsters. Has its flaws of course but it does good at keeping my interest.
Started reading this one too. Pretty decent, though the writing style has some rough edges. I feared that he does it for no personal gain (which he doesn't) or him being the typical "hero" type, which he also isn't. Now if only there was any romance (my expectations are low from the few first chapters) it would be absolutely great.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-10, 14:49   Link #10832
sasuke706

^Yeah I wouldn't expect any real romance. There is a heroine so to speak who plans on marrying the protagonist, but there's been no romantic moments at all between them so far, there being parent- and doting-child moments at best.

The protagonist wants to save the world but has no intention of trying to save absolutely everyone. Guess I could mention my primary negatives for the series too.

Spoiler for :

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Isn't Mana usually intangible until it's processed into Maryoku and casted as magic/aura?
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist and can't affect other things. Like we can't detect or perceive dark matter, but know it exists and some roles it plays based on logic. That's one of the unrealistic excuses for the nonexistent adverse effects of mana existing that I was talking about.

Like if mana only existed in creatures it'd be a different story, but that's still extremely rare.

Last edited by sasuke706; 2021-10-10 at 15:34. Reason: used wrong word
Old 2021-10-10, 15:22   Link #10833
apr
Pedestrian

I think I saw some complaints in a Japanese thread about how アースウィズダンジョン hops between different characters instead of sticking to just one protagonist. Is that the case, or did I imagine it all?
Old 2021-10-10, 15:36   Link #10834
sasuke706

Nah it mostly sticks to one character's POV. In the more recent chapters there's been a couple POV changes, but it's not that bad at all.
Infinite Dendrogram, for example, does it much, much more. Then again on top of having multiple POVs, the author writes entire side story volumes of different POVs, multiple side volumes a row and in the middle of other arcs.
So he's kind of an extreme example.
Old 2021-10-10, 15:50   Link #10835
Rasty

Is Infinite Dendrogram worse than Re-Tale? I remember dropping that one (and later the branch story), because of how watered-down it got by more and more side-POVs.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-10, 16:25   Link #10836
apr
Pedestrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasuke706 View Post
Nah it mostly sticks to one character's POV. In the more recent chapters there's been a couple POV changes, but it's not that bad at all.
Infinite Dendrogram, for example, does it much, much more. Then again on top of having multiple POVs, the author writes entire side story volumes of different POVs, multiple side volumes a row and in the middle of other arcs.
So he's kind of an extreme example.
Ah, thanks, might give it a look-see. I actually dropped Dendro after the first arc, because that himo side story bored the shit out of me.

In other news, Marquis is back after a longish hiatus due to writer's block, so yay.
Old 2021-10-10, 16:32   Link #10837
sasuke706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
Is Infinite Dendrogram worse than Re-Tale? I remember dropping that one (and later the branch story), because of how watered-down it got by more and more side-POVs.
I haven't read re-tale. Infinite Dendrogram actually has good writing and nice, exciting shounen-esque plot developments. In the main story, the POV changes are mostly plot relevant or at least combat relevant, to show how battles the MC isn't involved in turn out. Which is nice and takes talent to make even side characters interesting.

However, he'll use a stopping point in the middle of an arc to write a side story volume, maybe even two. There's nothing less of a joykill when you want to see how a development turns out and then a completely unrelated side story starts. I've tried reading them but always just really quickly stop caring and just wait for the main story to continue. So I take long hiatuses from it fairly often.
Old 2021-10-22, 06:06   Link #10838
wuhugm
Confused Shark

In a world where item box / inventory exist, why is theft not a thing?
Old 2021-10-22, 13:33   Link #10839
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
In a world where item box / inventory exist, why is theft not a thing?
Because taking things from a pocket dimension is slightly harder than from an actual pocket?

Or do you mean using it for theft? In that case I think it's generally either the author only thinking of it as a convenience thing or "you can't store something not yours or unclaimed"
Old 2021-10-22, 21:59   Link #10840
wuhugm
Confused Shark

^Theft

Most wns don't have restriction like that

Baggages got inspected during town entry but no item box check despite it's being a thing

Tags
web novel