Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-10-21, 18:14   Link #161
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
From what I've read Japan is no picnic for single mothers. Imagine trying to hide the fact you have a child at a place like an aquarium. Probably a more accepting environment overall than working in an office, and Chiyu still felt she couldn't reveal her secret to anyone.
It seems like her direct chef new, but not anyone else.

In general it is more about the whole Japanese attitude regarding work. They put career above everything else, so it is normal situation when one of the parents leaves the workplace and fully dedicate themselves to housework or rising children after marriage. So if you are a single parent (especially a single mother) or if both parents decide to continue working, it becomes pretty harsh.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 18:19   Link #162
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I can say this is PA works' best show since Shirobako. I know it's not saying much since the only good show they've done since then is Sakura Quest, but still. Good stuff.

This episode completely overturned my opinion of Chiyu. She's actually been feeling incredibly insecure all this time because of her past experience, and seeing the Gama Gama staff being so carefree pissed her off because she really did have to work hard to get where she is. By comparison, an outsider would feel Kukuru has been handed everything on a silver platter, but she's had her fair share of hardship as well and it'd be nice if she could try to get to know her better.
Old 2021-10-21, 18:27   Link #163
monsta666

What a clanger they dropped in this epi! I got to admit I never saw this coming... I am not sure if it is good writing or an asspul but whatever the series is probably better off for this twist. We get a redemption arc of sorts that softens our stance towards Chiyu. Despite this revelation I still remain a little leary over her behaviour. Things that can't be explained with this was the superiority complex she had plus her dislike to Kukuru was not entirely rational or mature. For someone who is all knowing she seems to be less mature than Fuuka who has consistently acted as the voice of reason for not only Kukuru but now Chiyu. This extra twist does make me hopeful that Kukuru and Chiyu can repair their rift as they will have a greater mutual understanding where each girl is coming from.

I can definitely see why Chiyu would hide her secret as I can imagine Japan is brutal for people in her shoes. That is even before we heard her backstory which simply reinforces her decision.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 20:51   Link #164
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well Kukuru tries babysitting and it really didnt go so well go thing it was only for a short time

Fuuka really know how to open people up

Spoiler for Well didnt see that coming:
Old 2021-10-21, 21:08   Link #165
Wandering Soul

I never really had much of a problem with Chiyu so I like how this episode frames her distaste for the Gama Gama crew and Kukuru in particular in a new light.
Old 2021-10-21, 21:12   Link #166
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Ahh, I don't think it's because of your child you didn't get along with your colleagues. I think it's because you are a bitch to people. But hey, uh... I was so terribly emotionally mov...... nah.
I remember seeing a comment that the scriptwriter is probably some weird feminist, which was kinda funny, since I can see it.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-21, 23:20   Link #167
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I can say this is PA works' best show since Shirobako. I know it's not saying much since the only good show they've done since then is Sakura Quest, but still. Good stuff.

This episode completely overturned my opinion of Chiyu. She's actually been feeling incredibly insecure all this time because of her past experience, and seeing the Gama Gama staff being so carefree pissed her off because she really did have to work hard to get where she is. By comparison, an outsider would feel Kukuru has been handed everything on a silver platter, but she's had her fair share of hardship as well and it'd be nice if she could try to get to know her better.
This is why I've been VERY lenient towards the characters, even Tetsuji. P.A. Works' traditionally has done a fantastic job of stating that people give the impressions that they do because of their circumstances, and once Chiyu's time came for her story to be told, it explains her outlook and attitudes on things.

Generally, speaking, judging characters before their entire story is told has always been an unwise exercise precisely because of moments like these, and I'm glad Aquatope on White Sand knocked Chiyu's story out of the park, freeing the series to sort out Tetsuji's background and then in classic P.A. Works fashion, throw something unexpected that pushes the entire team together in some way.
Old 2021-10-22, 01:17   Link #168
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Nope. Sorry, this half just ain't working for me.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly good show about a bunch of young women working at an aquarium. But the entire first half of the series may as well not have existed.

Everything we've needed to know from the first half could have been explained in an info-dump or two. We haven't needed to know about Fuuka's recovery from washing out as an idol. We haven't needed to know about Kukuru's summer trying everything she could think of to save Gama Gama. We haven't needed to know about the strange goings-on at Gama Gama, or that Kukuru's grandfather was a legendary aquarium director. We haven't needed to know about the little yokai who was running around. We haven't even seen him for the past couple of episodes.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the show we're getting now, but I feel like it's a completely different story, as if PA Works made two completely different series and just kind of stuck them back-to-back, maybe as a cost savings, so they didn't have to hire a different set of artists and performers. The first show was something special to me. This is just a nice way to wind down on Thursday night. I'm sorry, but unless they find some way of tying the themes from Show #1 into Show #2, it's going to go down as a disappointment in my book.

Edited to add: I suppose if you wanted an overarching theme for the entire series at this point, it would be "Childhood is magical, but then you grow up and get serious, and the magic goes away." Which is certainly a lot of people's experience, but you'd never catch me writing a story with that message.

Last edited by BBOvenGuy; 2021-10-22 at 01:31.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 01:31   Link #169
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Ahh, I don't think it's because of your child you didn't get along with your colleagues. I think it's because you are a bitch to people. But hey, uh... I was so terribly emotionally mov...... nah.
I remember seeing a comment that the scriptwriter is probably some weird feminist, which was kinda funny, since I can see it.
Not necessary, a stressful life and bad past can make you become a bitter person. It is not excuse for her action but it explains she has reason behind her attitude toward some people and some situation.

Chiyu at least doesn't make her hate toward Gama Gama as a reason to not corporate with Gama Gama people during the business time. And hey, you can't exactly say what she commented/thought about Gama Gama people are completely wrong.

Last edited by Marina2; 2021-10-22 at 02:02.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 17:10   Link #170
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
Nope. Sorry, this half just ain't working for me.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with it. It's a perfectly good show about a bunch of young women working at an aquarium. But the entire first half of the series may as well not have existed.

Everything we've needed to know from the first half could have been explained in an info-dump or two. We haven't needed to know about Fuuka's recovery from washing out as an idol. We haven't needed to know about Kukuru's summer trying everything she could think of to save Gama Gama. We haven't needed to know about the strange goings-on at Gama Gama, or that Kukuru's grandfather was a legendary aquarium director. We haven't needed to know about the little yokai who was running around. We haven't even seen him for the past couple of episodes.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the show we're getting now, but I feel like it's a completely different story, as if PA Works made two completely different series and just kind of stuck them back-to-back, maybe as a cost savings, so they didn't have to hire a different set of artists and performers. The first show was something special to me. This is just a nice way to wind down on Thursday night. I'm sorry, but unless they find some way of tying the themes from Show #1 into Show #2, it's going to go down as a disappointment in my book.

Edited to add: I suppose if you wanted an overarching theme for the entire series at this point, it would be "Childhood is magical, but then you grow up and get serious, and the magic goes away." Which is certainly a lot of people's experience, but you'd never catch me writing a story with that message.
I really don't get where you're coming from. It's a coming of age story, removing the first half of the show would have removed all the character growth that occurred in it. Not to mention the strong bonds the characters formed. It's still very much the same show to me.
Old 2021-10-22, 17:19   Link #171
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Moreover, "Childhood is magical, but then you grow up and get serious, and the magic goes away" is most definitely not the theme for the series. That prayer that Kukuru and later, Fūka, recite states as much: "Do what's right, and everything will work out". So far, the series has been about doing what one can, and then allowing circumstance to take over – by putting in one's best efforts, there aren't regrets lingering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Not necessary, a stressful life and bad past can make you become a bitter person. It is not excuse for her action but it explains she has reason behind her attitude toward some people and some situation.
The individual you're responding to completely missed the point of Aquatope on White Sand and won't offer any useful discussion, so it's not worth engaging them in any way.

Last edited by Infinite Zenith; 2021-10-25 at 11:36.
Infinite Zenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 21:32   Link #172
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Meh, perhaps I'm reading too much of my own experiences into it. I had my own youthful dreams that got crushed when I was in my 20s, and it's taken decades just to get to the point where I know what I want my new dream to be, never mind realizing it. The thing about the big, corporate world is that's easy to get sucked into the mind-numbing banality and pettiness that goes on there. It can leave you without the time or energy of focus to do what you really want to do.

Or maybe the Japanese working-world dramedy just isn't my thing. Everyone raves about Shirobako, but I only made it through one episode.
Old 2021-10-23, 06:47   Link #173
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 16:

Chiyu story now explored.. taking care of a kid while working is indeed hard..

looking at the work schedule, even Garandou stays overnight twice a week, it's really a special treatment that Chiyu is receiving, since she always goes home early.

Really unfair, Fuuka should have only two overnight, not three. damn..

this episode also rubbed me the wrong way. I work at the office 7 days a week, mon-sat (8:30-5 pm), Sun (8:30-1 pm) - and the Sunday feels so much less fatigue than mon-sat.... so I know looking at the work schedules on the show.. Chiyu's 6 days early going home + 1 day off is heaven compared to Fuuka's 3 overnight (this is terrible, have a friend who works overnight at a call center, and she wasn't able to last long), 2 day off, 1 late, and 1 early go home. Fuuka's schedule is hell. The writer clearly likes single moms... yeah, I agree it's hard being a single mom as depicted on this show, and her kid is cute... however, Chiyu's former workmates are being portrayed as "cold" and heartless people.. WTF.. feels like the writer not understand that extra work being piled onto others, because the single mom always goes home early is also an injustice. Extra work means the fatigue eventually piles up and causes a person to be stressed, irritable, and less productive.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2021-10-24 at 18:07.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-28, 17:03   Link #174
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Ok, this episode was kind of... a waste of time. It was nice to learn a little bit about Marina and see Chiyu has mellowed out, but that's about it. And I probably shouldn't read too much into Kuuya and Karin coming together, right?
Old 2021-10-28, 20:58   Link #175
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well not really much happened just a nice day off but at less Kuuya getting a little more comfortable be around with females
Old 2021-10-28, 21:45   Link #176
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
The writer clearly likes single moms... yeah, I agree it's hard being a single mom as depicted on this show, and her kid is cute... however, Chiyu's former workmates are being portrayed as "cold" and heartless people.. WTF..
Yeah, this was another part of the problem I had with last week's episode. Chiyu turns out to have a kid, and suddenly she's the sympathetic one, Kukuru's the spoiled brat, up is down, day is night, and Donald Trump won the election. It goes back to what I said before, that this is a completely different series now, one that values slogging through the adult world and devalues magic and soul.
Old 2021-10-29, 05:50   Link #177
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 17:

very relaxing, this episode put a smile to my face.

Kukuru, Fuuka, and Udon-chan are so nice to try and give a relaxing day to others.

that guy Eiji is the life of the party. He actually has a fun game prepared.

looking forward to next week.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-31, 15:07   Link #178
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Now you can have Kukuru guide you around Yokohama's Sea Paradise "amusement island."

The aquatope on white sand TV Anime Plays With Real-Life Fish in Hakkeijima Sea Paradise Collaboration

Spoiler for Image:
Old 2021-11-04, 17:07   Link #179
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

An Akari episode this week. I don't care much about her so it was just okay for me. At least we got to see the Penguin team dressed as mermaids.

The ending was nepotism at its finest. Kukuru hasn't even worked a year here and she's already in charge of an entire area. The worst part is that she doesn't want any of that, she said once again in this episode she wants to return to attendant work.
Old 2021-11-04, 17:50   Link #180
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
The ending was nepotism at its finest.
How is it nepotism when she and the Assistant Director are neither relatives nor even friends?