AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-11-02, 10:40   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1031 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Let's get to business, folks! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "The Warrior of Science". Splash is a color page featuring characters positioned "#2" in their respective crews/organizations, such as Zoro, Bepo, Rayleigh, Sabo, etc.

-Continuing from last chapter, everyone present is shocked to see Big Mom get wounded by Law and Kid. Law asks Kid how just how powerful the awakened Jiki Jiki (magnetism) no Mi is, but the latter refuses to tell him. As for Big Mom, she's not done for yet, as she suddenly asks, "Life or Oshiruko?". Using her Soul Pocus, she extracts the life force from all of Kaidou's grunts around her, using it to give life to all the metallic objects Kid launched at her! And if that weren't enough, she extracts some of her own life force and eats it, which powers her up! She explains that she can only make herself stronger like this by sacrificing a year of her own life expectancy, but is willing to do this as she's acknowledged the two supernovas' strength.... as well as Luffy's. Thus, she challenges them to usurp her throne....!!!

-Meanwhile, Drake turns down Apoo's offer to join forces, and resumes fighting him! What's more, he figured out how his enemy's DF power works: Not only is it necessary for the opponent to hear the attack, but they have to align with Apoo's line of sight, as well! Suddenly, at that moment, Yamato (in human form) runs into them both! Drake assures her that he's on the samurai's side now, but suddenly, one of the Numbers, Fuga, targets her! As the gaint chases after Yamato, Apoo and his other two Numbers follow suit, forcing Drake to go on the chase, as well. Elsewhere, a new conflict has arisen.... as Robin and Brooke encounter CP0! Naturally, their purpose is to capture Robin. The minks try to hold off the agents, but Robin explains that even among CP0, the masked agents are considered extraordinary. The CP0 chief alone pursues the fleeing Robin and Brooke.....

-Back to Sanji vs. Queen, it seems the unthinkable has happened: Sanji hit a woman!!! Or at least, he THINKS he might have done so, but his current predicament leaves him confused. He remembers arriving at the red light district, but he apparently blacked out and hit an innocent geisha. As the other women yell at him, he's once again reminded of his brothers who, due to Germa's science, were emotionless monsters who didn't bat an eye at the notion of attacking the opposite sex! Soon, Queen catches up to him, but the cook begins to ask himself: Who is more useful to the future Pirate King? The "old" him, who's unable to fight women? Or a cold-blooded "science warrior" who doesn't discriminate between his opponents? Sanji then takes out his raid suit... which naturally excites Queen. However, while Sanji notes that since he now has clarity of mind and is aware that the suit unlocked his latent abilities, he's made an important decision: He will NEVER become one of Germa! He then proceeds to DESTROY the suit! Queen is disappointed, but the cook doesn't care.... even if it means he can't peep into the ladies' bath anymore (lol). He then calls Zoro with the den den mushi and implores him: Should he be driven to madness by the time the war ends, then Zoro must END HIS LIFE. The swordsman, who's still busy fighting King, says he doesn't understand the situation, but he nonetheless has something to look forward to after the battle is over. The cook then returns focus to his battle with Queen, launching his Hell's Memories at the all-star...!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-11-04 at 09:58.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-02, 13:03   Link #2
Gerard07

Seen the spoliers, it seems that he explained a little about the awakening of the fruits of Law and Kid, and Big Mon will get serious, the fight will get good, Robin runs into CP0, hopefully they do not capture her and Sanji destroying his suit del Germa, he could no longer become invisible, but maybe it is the best thing for him, since he could continue to be human, maybe Haoushoki Haki awakens (I wish Sanji, Law and Killer had it, I think they deserve it), to wait for the chapter.
Gerard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-02, 17:06   Link #3
Rainbowman

Sanji should probably seek help from Franky about his situation. Let’s hope Robin and Brook’s battle with CP0 is short or off panel.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-02, 18:03   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Pretty obvious Sanji didn't hit that woman and he's going to be just fine. But I like that he asks Zoro for the favor of a lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
Sanji should probably seek help from Franky about his situation. Let’s hope Robin and Brook’s battle with CP0 is short or off panel.
That's way above Franky's pay grade. He doesn't know jack about genetics.
Old 2021-11-03, 11:31   Link #5
Hoodspirit

Quite the convenient memory loss here that no other sibling had ever issues with.
Other SHPs could have used some of the panel time wasted on the raid suit plotline.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-03, 17:14   Link #6
judasmartel
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Pretty obvious Sanji didn't hit that woman and he's going to be just fine. But I like that he asks Zoro for the favor of a lifetime.

That's way above Franky's pay grade. He doesn't know jack about genetics.
He stayed and studied at Vegapunk's old lab for 2 years, remember? He should have picked up some info about Lineage Factor there at least.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-03, 19:38   Link #7
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
He stayed and studied at Vegapunk's old lab for 2 years, remember? He should have picked up some info about Lineage Factor there at least.
I don't remember him being shown to have knowledge of that sort. He didn't say anything during the Punk Hazard arc, did he?
Old 2021-11-03, 19:57   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Well... Vegapunk lab stores mostly weapons and arsenals at where Franky is at during two years, but I think Franky needs something to ring a bell for him to remember about it.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-04, 08:38   Link #9
devilo96

well....rip raid suit..what a waste to do a easy power up
devilo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-04, 10:50   Link #10
marvelB

Summary updated! Man, I am digging that color page. What interests me most about it is that it seems to confirm that Shiryu/Shiliew is Blackbeard's right-hand man. I find that curious considering he wasn't even a founding member of the crew (if anything, I'd have figured that Burgess or Van Augur would be BB's #2). But then again, it's not like Katakuri was a founding member of Big Mom's crew either (that chef guy Streusen was, and that was several years before Katakuri was even born), so clearly seniority isn't a deciding factor here. Still, really cool to see a spread focusing solely on the #2 spots!

Anyways, I kinda wonder if Big Mom's power up counts as her own awakening of sorts? Seems kinda counterintuitive considering it hacks away at her own life, but you never know. I'm also guessing that Robin's comment about the masked CP0 agents mean that the chief guy may indeed by stronger than Lucci and Who's Who. Though if that's the case, who do we have left that can take on CP0? I'm pretty sure Robin and Brooke are too worn out from taking on Black Maria, so that doesn't leave many candidates.... I'd like to say Jinbei or Franky, but they're clearly not at 100% either after their respective battles. Either way, I just hope this doesn't lead to Robin getting captured again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodspirit View Post
Quite the convenient memory loss here that no other sibling had ever issues with.
Think it's kinda unfair to compare the brothers who've been cold hearted soldiers their entire lives to the "black sheep" who only just recently awakened his powers (which his father didn't even think he had), but that's probably just me. Besides, I personally like that Sanji is dealing with this inner conflict now, even going as far as to sacrifice peeping on the ladies (oh, and I guess the whole Zoro killing him thing, heh ). Yes, I also think it's clear he didn't hit that woman, but I still like how it made him seriously consider how useful he would be to Luffy.... though I think he should already be aware by now that his captain doesn't want a Germa soldier as a part of his crew. And also, since the suit unlocked his latent powers, I wonder if our cook friend is being a bit premature in giving up on his dreams of perving out on the naked ladies....?
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-04, 11:28   Link #11
Gerard07

Hopefully, Oda will soon explain the "awakening of the fruits", how Kid and Law achieved it (I think Robin might have awakened hers against BM as well), and how Luffy will awaken his.
Regarding Robin and CP0, the possibility of being captured is high, but remembering Luffy it seems that he promised to have a great party once the battle is over, without Robin it would not be a complete party (I think that is how Oda tells us that it will be at the end of the saga).
The other thing she was thinking, do you think it's possible for both Carrot and Yamato to team up as nakamas at the end of the saga, and do you think it's possible that Sanji, Law, and Killer wake up Haoushoku Haki? I want that.
Old 2021-11-04, 16:12   Link #12
Galaxian

I love that Sanji acknowledged that his policy of not fighting women is a liability to the crew.

Not saying it's bad, just glad they showed he is aware of the problem.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-05, 04:59   Link #13
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Not sure why people are lukewarm on the chapter in regards to Sanji but for me personally: this is his greatest character moment in the entire series and the greatest moment among the strawhats post-timeskip.

I've been skeptical in regards to Sanji's treatment since the during WCI namely that I felt it was incomplete (if everyone can remember how much of a fuss I raised then). It took me a full year to fully come to terms with it. But then Oda threw a new curveball with this recent Germa Awakening and I was still questioning the direction that was taken. Specifically if the the decision to power him up like this was inconsistent with the thematic messaging of WCI. Oda has now directly answered my questions from the previous chapters.

This chapter directly addresses the dilemma of the Germa enhancements better than WCI because this time instead of Judge and Sora making the decision for him, Sanji is the one who does it. I've been waiting so long for something like this.

I don't know what will happen after this. Will Sanji's inverted eyebrow which now matches his siblings be an indication of him further losing his emotions and it be something he has to overcome? Will he gain some more powers due to the Germa awakening as a power boost? Is this enough to overcome Queen? Will he need something further? Can the Raid suit be salvaged for parts?

Did he actually hit that woman without knowing? I'm leaning towards yes but fully open to the possibility that its a misunderstanding as it doesn't take away from the character moment in this chapter.

10/10
Old 2021-11-05, 09:13   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Did he actually hit that woman without knowing? I'm leaning towards yes but fully open to the possibility that its a misunderstanding as it doesn't take away from the character moment in this chapter.

10/10
I'm betting Orochi hit her and ran away. He's supposed to be hiding around here IIRC. It's definitely not Sanji.

And yes, Sanji wondering which version of him would be more useful to Luffy and destroying the suit (giving up on his life long dream of turning invisible to peep on women) was a great character moment, same with him asking Zoro to put him down if he loses himself.
Old 2021-11-05, 09:58   Link #15
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

So, how much do you all want to bet that Sanji's eyebrows are now BOTH curled up on the outside? Perhaps signifying that he's the perfect final product of his father's experiment and his mother's hopes that he doesn't lose himself. Before his eyebrows were the direct opposite of his siblings', now he would be half like his siblings and half his old self.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-05, 10:59   Link #16
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Not sure why people are lukewarm on the chapter in regards to Sanji but for me personally: this is his greatest character moment in the entire series and the greatest moment among the strawhats post-timeskip.

I've been skeptical in regards to Sanji's treatment since the during WCI namely that I felt it was incomplete (if everyone can remember how much of a fuss I raised then). It took me a full year to fully come to terms with it. But then Oda threw a new curveball with this recent Germa Awakening and I was still questioning the direction that was taken. Specifically if the the decision to power him up like this was inconsistent with the thematic messaging of WCI. Oda has now directly answered my questions from the previous chapters.

This chapter directly addresses the dilemma of the Germa enhancements better than WCI because this time instead of Judge and Sora making the decision for him, Sanji is the one who does it. I've been waiting so long for something like this.

I don't know what will happen after this. Will Sanji's inverted eyebrow which now matches his siblings be an indication of him further losing his emotions and it be something he has to overcome? Will he gain some more powers due to the Germa awakening as a power boost? Is this enough to overcome Queen? Will he need something further? Can the Raid suit be salvaged for parts?

10/10
Yea have to agree this was a fantastic Sanji moment, the inner conflict, contemplating what he might become and what use he would be to his captain and then asking the only person he could to do something no one else could.
All that i really found to be much more exciting than Big Mom/Kidd/Law or CP0/Robin.
Altho more than likely everything will work out in the end but I'm sure Oda will have built quite the roller coaster to get there.
Old 2021-11-05, 18:30   Link #17
Gerard07

Seen the chapter, Law and Kid were recognized as worthy enemies by Big Mon, Robin and Brook met CP0 (hopefully they don't capture her) and Sanji destroyed the suit and told Zoro to kill him if he turned into someone else, but that he maintains his chivalry towards women is something that will last until the end of the series, it is already a part of the character to take away that is how you will take away Luffy's taste for meat (I think), in short, to wait for the next chapter.
Old 2021-11-05, 20:49   Link #18
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Man, I am digging that color page. What interests me most about it is that it seems to confirm that Shiryu/Shiliew is Blackbeard's right-hand man. I find that curious considering he wasn't even a founding member of the crew
Yea that was really cool. I've been wondering that since his introduction. I think this proves that the most important thing for a #2 is strength. Sorry Sanji lovers

Quote:
I'm also guessing that Robin's comment about the masked CP0 agents mean that the chief guy may indeed by stronger than Lucci and Who's Who. Though if that's the case, who do we have left that can take on CP0? I'm pretty sure Robin and Brooke are too worn out from taking on Black Maria, so that doesn't leave many candidates.... I'd like to say Jinbei or Franky, but they're clearly not at 100% either after their respective battles. Either way, I just hope this doesn't lead to Robin getting captured again.....
Is it possible that the tall one is Aokiji? I've also been thinking that the Revolutionaries will show up to handle them and the incoming boats. I highly doubt Robin will get captured again.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-06, 00:57   Link #19
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Yea that was really cool. I've been wondering that since his introduction. I think this proves that the most important thing for a #2 is strength. Sorry Sanji lovers

Is it possible that the tall one is Aokiji? I've also been thinking that the Revolutionaries will show up to handle them and the incoming boats. I highly doubt Robin will get captured again.
Last time we saw Kuzan everyone was worried about him being involved with Teach so I doubt he'd join CP0, especially after said higher ups picked Sakazuki as Sengoku's replacement. But yeah I REALLY hope Robin doesn't get caught again. I wouldn't like that being used as the segue for Luffy and the gang to go and make a mess out of Mariejois. If anything, I think I see more of Luffy reading the news about Sabo and Vivi as the detour for that route, then again, I'm still hoping that once Wano's done they can go back to sailing the New World with just the log pose to follow towards their new adventure without having to involve any of the world's former and higher powers, but something tells me that those days are long gone.
Old 2021-11-06, 05:30   Link #20
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm betting Orochi hit her and ran away. He's supposed to be hiding around here IIRC. It's definitely not Sanji.
Orochi managed to hit that woman and disappear without Sanji knowing? But the woman still gave Sanji the glare? It sounds a bit farfetched.

As long as the woman who was hit doesn't explicitly say that Sanji was the one who injured her I can't say with certainty that it actually happened.

On the other hand, what possible alternative explanation is there that has Sanji not understanding what happened?

The only explanation I'd buy is that Sanji went into his usual mode around women and went to hug her but she instead accidentally collides with his exoskeleton. i.e. the joke/comedic explanation.

Nothing else seems feasible.