AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2021-12-08, 11:19   Link #1241
Decel

I agree with the others that Rudy opening his mouth or doing stuff he shouldn't do is not out-of-character.

Interesting episode. That Eris-Ruijerd practice animation was impressive, until the WTF got dialed up to 11 with meeting Orsted.
Old 2021-12-08, 11:51   Link #1242
BWTraveller
Born to ship

I think that sums it up. A person can say "this wasn't great because he could've avoided this" but that's really just quibbling, and ignoring the fact that this is who he is. He's far too aware of his own power, determined to protect his friends, and while he's very clever in some ways in others he can be a real idiot. He did what he did because that's who he is, and the results were, in my opinion, incredibly well written and animated.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 11:58   Link #1243
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

If anything, I like how Rudy got severely punished for his loud mouth & overconfidence this episode. That one got my seal of approval. Hah.
Old 2021-12-08, 12:52   Link #1244
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
i agree that people overestimate rudys intelligence. he is as clever as the most clever guy in the classroom, as seen in his backstory, he is not as clevernas the most clever guy in school, if he went to college he would be average in there.

in this case, he wanted to get more information on the teleport incident, he is not affected by the curse, so he did not feel as scared as riujerd and eris ( again, the paralels to meeting riujerd ).

about the consequences of the turning point, i will comment on them after next episode ( hopefully ), there are not enough clues for that yet , so anime onlies thinking it did not change the plot enough are being reasonable. there should be more.cluest next episode unless the anime staff does not adapt the chapter that follows this and skip around. for more context, rewatch turning point 1.

also, there is a very specific , author made definition for what is a turning pont inside mushoku tensei.
I don't thin anyone overstimate Rudys inteligence. He is indeed that smart, but being inteligent isn't same as being wise. It's actualy proven that smart people are more prone to make terrible mistakes, then average (and it's mostly due overconfidence).
Old 2021-12-08, 18:43   Link #1245
Tuor

^ Yep. Recall Rudy trying to play things when the other adventuring party was trying to fight that snake, and as a result members of that other party died and Rudy was somewhat devastated by his own foolishness.

Like many smart people, Rudy uses what he knows to predict what will be, and most of the time he's pretty accurate. But, the truth of the matter is that Rudy lacks RL experience in many areas. In his previous life, he cocooned himself away and lived through his computer. Even if he hadn't, he *is* in a different world, and his old one wouldn't have prepared him for some things even if he'd been more outgoing before.

But he still tries. Even when he falls short, he gets back up again. He takes risks. Sometimes they pay off (as with Ruijerd), and sometimes they don't, as in the last episode. I think Rudy feels that asking questions and trying to understand the world is worth taking risks, and I doubt this incident will entirely deter him from that. He's not wrong, IMO, and I admire his determination to dig away for the truth of what is going on in the world and why things like the Mana Disaster happened.

Rudy was once a very passive person. But now, he seems determined to grow beyond that. He isn't Ruijerd or Eris. He doesn't think like they do. That is part of what has helped both of them and changed them, especially in the case of Eris. He still has a ways to go, but he is, IMO, making progress.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-08, 19:36   Link #1246
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Still I wonder if things would have gone differently if Rudy said that he actually doesn't like the Man God. Perhaps the mere fact of being summoned by him is enough to prove you are his "apostle" regardless of whether you trust him or not.
He's been following the Man-god's instructions repeatedly even if he grumbled while doing it. For someone hostile to the Man-god, killing Rudy seems like the correct course of action. The bigger question is why he didn't leave him dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
It's actualy proven that smart people are more prone to make terrible mistakes, then average (and it's mostly due overconfidence).
[citation needed]
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-09, 01:21   Link #1247
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
He's been following the Man-god's instructions repeatedly even if he grumbled while doing it. For someone hostile to the Man-god, killing Rudy seems like the correct course of action. The bigger question is why he didn't leave him dead.
Nanahoshi (i.e. the only black-haired human person in the world, so far) asked him to heal Rudy.
Old 2021-12-09, 05:44   Link #1248
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Nanahoshi (i.e. the only black-haired human person in the world, so far) asked him to heal Rudy.
Well, yes. But why did she ask, and why did he agree to do it? That's the interesting part.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-09, 07:13   Link #1249
Tenzen12

Quote:
[citation needed]
Well there is plenty artiless that mention this and it takes like half minute find them. That said finding articless is much simplier then finding studies they are potentialy based on. It's obviously possible it's just very common myth, but if it is it still very believable one that wasn't debunked yet.
Old 2021-12-09, 08:19   Link #1250
magnuskn

Quote:
Well, yes. But why did she ask, and why did he agree to do it? That's the interesting part.
Well, given that she is the first and only black-haired person in this fantasy world we've seen and her name is Japanese... I mean, it seems a bit obvious.
Old 2021-12-09, 08:46   Link #1251
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, given that she is the first and only black-haired person in this fantasy world we've seen and her name is Japanese... I mean, it seems a bit obvious.
Wait... Nanahoshi means Seven Stars and it's not a common Japanese name or surname. I took it that they simply translated it for the audience convenience and not because she literally has a Japanese sounding name. Otherwise should I also assume that the Man God's name is literally "Hitogami"?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-09, 09:22   Link #1252
Tuor

^ You can assume her name is literally Nanahoshi.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-09, 09:24   Link #1253
Tenzen12

Why would you conflate those two things? Hitogami is basicaly omniscient being residing in bizzare white plane who comunicate with people through dreams. You don't get more "godly" then that. Nanahoshi in other hand is real japanese female name. It may not be most generic name ever, but there should be still plenty people named that way.

Edit: Actualy Nanahoshi can be male name too. Didn't know that...
Old 2021-12-09, 10:13   Link #1254
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Why would you conflate those two things? Hitogami is basicaly omniscient being residing in bizzare white plane who comunicate with people through dreams. You don't get more "godly" then that. Nanahoshi in other hand is real japanese female name. It may not be most generic name ever, but there should be still plenty people named that way.
I don't really see the relevance of the characters' power in the way the author decides to name them. Also why would I assume anything about this Nanahoshi? She could be a goddess for all I know.

But I guess you guys already know who she is, so I take it that her name really is Nanahoshi.

I would have expected Rudy to be more surprised by that though.

Old 2021-12-09, 10:30   Link #1255
Tenzen12

My personal policy when it come to adaptation is either to voice my past opinions from time I read that part of story (sometimes even knowing they weren't accurate) or not say anything.

Nonetheles you don't have to read anything to figure that when there is god-like figure that people (or it itself) call god it's save assume "god" not name their mother gave them. On same account if girl who is called by legit actual name, then it's probably just that and not tittle. Especially if that name doesn't make sense as tittle in first place.
Old 2021-12-09, 10:33   Link #1256
BWTraveller
Born to ship

A more important point that people seem to be missing is that Nanahoshi is travelling with Orsted like it's nothing. Man-God just told Rudy that the reason he wasn't filled with uncontrollable terror is because his soul came here from another world. Given that she, too, seems completely calm next to him would suggest that either she's the bravest creature in existence or she, too, came from outside. And yeah, given that she has black hair, which is so far a rarity here, I can understand people thinking she'd be Japanese. Not to mention that human names tend to follow Western standards and as such it's quite reasonable to assume that either 1: she's a deity like Hitogami, or 2: she's a Japanese girl with an unusual surname.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-12-09, 10:41   Link #1257
Tenzen12

It could be first name too. It's not that uncommon.
Old 2021-12-09, 11:11   Link #1258
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Nonetheles you don't have to read anything to figure that when there is god-like figure that people (or it itself) call god it's save assume "god" not name their mother gave them.
There's plenty of Isekai where gods just have a regular name, like Aqua from Konosuba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
And yeah, given that she has black hair, which is so far a rarity here, I can understand people thinking she'd be Japanese.
They'd also need to assume that it's possible to travel between the two worlds with your physical body, because otherwise that logic doesn't make any sense. Rudy has blond hair in spite of being originally from Japan. Generally isekai either have the reincarnation method or the physical travel method, having both in the same story is decidedly odd.

Old 2021-12-09, 11:19   Link #1259
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
There's plenty of Isekai where gods just have a regular name, like Aqua from Konosuba.
Exactly, that's what I just said.
Old 2021-12-09, 12:00   Link #1260
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
A more important point that people seem to be missing is that Nanahoshi is travelling with Orsted like it's nothing. Man-God just told Rudy that the reason he wasn't filled with uncontrollable terror is because his soul came here from another world. Given that she, too, seems completely calm next to him would suggest that either she's the bravest creature in existence or she, too, came from outside
Perhaps arrivals from "our" world don't always need to be born anew like Rudy was. Nanahoshi could perhaps have animated a dying young woman with black hair. Rudy's parentage makes his light-colored hair pretty much expected. If she was also transported, perhaps that explains why she told Orsted to save Rudy as someone else with knowledge from the outside world.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, isekai