Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-06-01, 08:57   Link #421
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
IIRC Marie had him play it for her because she wanted 100% and the reverse harem route which isn't really necessary. In theory Livia could just get onto the Brad or Greg route and call it a day. Of course Leon reverting to calling Livia 'Olivia' while telling her she "makes a cute couple" with a guy who's already taken is the dumbest fucking way to go about trying to put things back on track but Leon's track record isn't great considering how he isekai'ed himself.

I'm not sure what you meant about the other story but there's a handful of 'male isekai'ed into an otome game' stories out there that tend to be ridiculously similar to MobuSeka. This series is mid in all honesty, maybe a 6.7 for me if I'm feeling generous, but I stick with it because I really like villainess isekai and enjoy an otome game here and there so I can appreciate a parody... though its really more shitpost than parody because MobuSeka is unapologetically shounen, with harem and mecha and so on. Most of the audience for MobuSeka seems to have very little knowledge of otome games or villainess isekai beyond HameFura, at best.
the ln itself peaks at volume 3, note that it does not drop down per we, justa. mic of becoming a bit repetitive and taking some "controversial" decisions in the plot.

so, i really hope we get a new season for ln 3, hopefully with a studio change ( thoy favorite otome villainess story is the Cinderella one).
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-01, 12:45   Link #422
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huh...? View Post
As per game plot, its Olivia who unwilling seduces either 1 or all 5 capture targets (in Reverse-Harem Route), since all 5 of them had Fiancée's (though they were all political marriage, and only 2 of the 5 girls had feeling of love towards their Fiancé).
That might how she was introduced but we'll never see that Olivia (not even in Marie's route) because the author's not going to cuck Leon. Though the bigger issue is that while Livia and Angie are cool for what they are they never really feel like an otome game heroine and villainess nor are they really supposed to. I'm not necessarily being critical but as a male fan of otome games and villainess isekai its kind of disappointing the author put so little effort into a coherent setting. Its cool for flavor I guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
the ln itself peaks at volume 3, note that it does not drop down per we, justa. mic of becoming a bit repetitive and taking some "controversial" decisions in the plot.

so, i really hope we get a new season for ln 3, hopefully with a studio change ( thoy favorite otome villainess story is the Cinderella one).
Is that a manwha? I only follow a handful of Korean series.

I actually did pick up the LN once I ran out of manga and lost interest at LN4 though I skimmed through later volumes a bit. Its really rare for me to read more than one or two volumes of an LN though.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-01, 16:04   Link #423
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
That might how she was introduced but we'll never see that Olivia (not even in Marie's route) because the author's not going to cuck Leon. Though the bigger issue is that while Livia and Angie are cool for what they are they never really feel like an otome game heroine and villainess nor are they really supposed to. I'm not necessarily being critical but as a male fan of otome games and villainess isekai its kind of disappointing the author put so little effort into a coherent setting.
Well, premise is that the setting is based on an otome game that didn't have a coherent setting.

I get where you are coming from. There are lots of otome isekai that I hate because the characters wouldn't actually work in an otome setting or because it throws away the setting entirely in the first chapter.

However, I could see Oliva as a doormat protagonist and Angie as a stubborn elitist villainess in an otome setting.

Last edited by moridin84; 2022-06-01 at 16:17.
moridin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-01, 17:30   Link #424
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moridin84 View Post
Well, premise is that the setting is based on an otome game that didn't have a coherent setting.
If there was a decent joke or parody reason for that I'd be more accepting but to me its just the author making it clear that he's shitposting.
Quote:
However, I could see Oliva as a doormat protagonist and Angie as a stubborn elitist villainess in an otome setting.
Fair enough but now I'm really curious what exactly you're comparing to if you think this is one of the better representations.

Its a "show, don't tell" problem for me more than anything. Angie was never actually a villainess in this timeline either so she jumped straight into the harem as well. I can sort of appreciate an author wanting to show their harem in as positive a light as possible but that makes characterization just feel... off, or hollow.
Old 2022-06-01, 18:30   Link #425
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
If there was a decent joke or parody reason for that I'd be more accepting but to me its just the author making it clear that he's shitposting.
Well it's been clear from the very first chapter/episode that the author is shitposting.

The trash otome setting is something that the entire novel is based on, it's even part of the appeal. If you can't accept it, I don't understand how you watched so many episodes.

The author used this setting for lots of different things. He makes fun of otome games, he makes fun of the isekai genre, he makes completely dumbass characters, he adds in lots of cool elements like magic and technology in the same setting. But that's only possible because he can handwave everything with "it's a trash otome game".

Quote:
Fair enough but now I'm really curious what exactly you're comparing to if you think this is one of the better representations.
It's hard to remember titles for these sorts of stories.

However, every story needs an antagonist. In an otome villainess story, the main character becomes the original antagonist of the story. So who's the new antagonist? And what's the role of the original protagonist? And why was the villainess the antagonist in the first place?

It's hard to answer all those questions satisfactorily without making the original setting fall apart. So some stories half-ass it or even use the otome villainess as just a hook and do something dumb like "May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing".

Quote:
Its a "show, don't tell" problem for me more than anything. Angie was never actually a villainess in this timeline either so she jumped straight into the harem as well. I can sort of appreciate an author wanting to show their harem in as positive a light as possible but that makes characterization just feel... off, or hollow.
Oliva was a commoner so Angie didn't want her to get involved with any of the princes because they had high status and all had fiances besides. Angie was one of the few women who had the status and temperament to confront the princes, so she thought it was her duty.

Separate from Angie's actions, people would have bullied Oliva using Angie's name as a shield. However, there wouldn't be any reason for Oliva and the princes to believe Angie's denials.

So essentially her behaviour in the game and in the anime was exactly the same until Leon interfered in the duel event. I don't see what your problem is. What is inconsistent about her character?
Old 2022-06-01, 18:40   Link #426
Magewolf

Quote:
Like I said earlier, for being such a dense harem protagonist where the girls are concerned he really has no issue ruining the boys' day... or lives. He's still pretty content playing the hero or heel when he feels like it, he has no regret for actions he's already taken nor is he going out of his way to fix anything -- he just holds the girls to a different standard, mostly because of the mob complex.

The problem with dwelling on in universe stuff is that this is Leon's story and its obvious by now that going forward the Power Rangers are going to be about as worthless as the Three Stooges from Shield Hero, and there's going to be zero NTR because Livia and Angie are his harem too. There's really not a feasible otome game at the skeleton of MobuSeka, just some tropes peppered in. The author left things open for unlimited asspulls, really.
Leon is heroic but he is also petty and incredibly vindictive. So he does heroic things. He does petty things. He does heroic things and tries to make them look petty. He does petty things and tries to make them look heroic. He can also get sweep up in the moment by his emotions (hate for the game world in general and some people in it in particular, his feelings for the girls) to do things that go against his stated self-interest. The only negative effect from his actions for the "game story" so far has been on Olivia and she was already much more screwed by Marie taking over her role. And he has been doing a halfhearted job of trying to help her by going after the Saint items. The only real way to help her would be to actively suppress Marie and move her back to the main character role but he does not want to do that because he likes her even if he will not admit it. As for the idiots, his actions have actually helped them since now they at least trying to get stronger as opposed to just drifting along like they were before the duel.

As for it being Leon's story now, how is he supposed to know that? He has seen plenty of signs of game events plowing through any changes to happen anyway. So his belief in some "narrative force" controlling things is not that unreasonable.

Quote:

Angie still has all the traits that made her a villain. She has a savage temper that she has a problem keeping under control, she is proud to a fault, she loved the prince, she had a low opinion of commoners, she was surrounded by people who either wanted to curry favor with her by escalating things or wanted to make her look bad by escalating things.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-01, 20:33   Link #427
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
The author used this setting for lots of different things. He makes fun of otome games, he makes fun of the isekai genre, he makes completely dumbass characters, he adds in lots of cool elements like magic and technology in the same setting. But that's only possible because he can handwave everything with "it's a trash otome game".
I think you're kind of reiterating what I already said but in a hostile way. Its not that I'm inherently against the setting, its that the setting is pointless to discuss in any serious way because its designed for maximum asspull. Its probably better to forget its based on an otome game except where world events are concerned.
Quote:
May I Please Ask You Just One Last Thing
That's not actually an isekai but its kinda fun for what it is.

Mobuseka follows the same general formula as pretty much any other reverse harem isekai its just that Leon and Marie are effectively working in tandem. But here instead of reincarnating as the villainess Marie is a mob and the villainess (with a heart of gold) is in Leon's harem. Its kind of obvious they're going to figure out who they are to each other eventually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
As for it being Leon's story now, how is he supposed to know that? He has seen plenty of signs of game events plowing through any changes to happen anyway. So his belief in some "narrative force" controlling things is not that unreasonable.
Would you care to elaborate? I can't think of anything that would lead him to believe that other than Livia being polite with Brad and Greg.

And for the third time, for being such a dense harem protagonist where the girls are concerned he really has no issue ruining the boys' day... or lives. He's guilty of a lot of double standards.
Quote:
Angie still has all the traits that made her a villain. She has a savage temper that she has a problem keeping under control, she is proud to a fault, she loved the prince, she had a low opinion of commoners, she was surrounded by people who either wanted to curry favor with her by escalating things or wanted to make her look bad by escalating things.
I've already compared her to Rebecca from Ted Lasso because that's the kind of character she is, not the typical otoge villainess who has been kicking puppies since she was 8. I do like Angie for what she is but as a fan of villainess archetypes its just kind of a missed opportunity. Redeeming an actual villaines is hard, and something you don't see often.
Old 2022-06-02, 05:48   Link #428
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
Right, like her slapping Leon because he "made Liva cry" is absurd from anyone but Leon's perspective.

Like logically, Leon has been incredibly kind towards Oliva and she snaps at him for "no reason" and Leon doesn't treat her badly and just quietly starts to keep her at distance. Angie should have been trying to help them make up but could have burned her own bridges with them instead.

If Leon wasn't someone who knew about all the game events, then trying to avoid these unreasonable women who he can't even marry would actually be a reasonable choice

Quote:
Mobuseka follows the same general formula as pretty much any other reverse harem isekai its just that Leon and Marie are effectively working in tandem. But here instead of reincarnating as the villainess Marie is a mob and the villainess (with a heart of gold) is in Leon's harem. Its kind of obvious they're going to figure out who they are to each other eventually.
The "it's just" part is what makes the story fairly unique though?

Quote:
Would you care to elaborate? I can't think of anything that would lead him to believe that other than Livia being polite with Brad and Greg.
The Angie duel event happened just like in the game. The sky pirate event happened just like in the game. The sky pirates even had one of the items of the "saintess equipment set" just like in the game.

Oliva getting together with Brad/Greg is both a wish and a fear of his. Rather than something that he believed is literally happening there.

Quote:
And for the third time, for being such a dense harem protagonist where the girls are concerned he really has no issue ruining the boys' day... or lives. He's guilty of a lot of double standards.
He is definitely guilty of double standards.

However, I don't know why people keep thinking he is a dense protagonist.

He has known from as early as episode 2 or 3 that she likes him. He's been trying to keep a certain distance because she's to become the saintess just like in the game.
Quote:
I do like Angie for what she is but as a fan of villainess archetypes its just kind of a missed opportunity. Redeeming an actual villaines is hard, and something you don't see often.
There are lots of different villainess archetypes. The "villainess from the age of 8" is one of the basic ones.

Angie is a just person acting based on her personality and circumstances that appears as a villainess from the perspective of the original protagonist. That is actually a rarer type and is a subversion of the "the villainess is a bad person" cliche.

I can think of two "butler reincarnation villainess redemption" stories off the top of my head, so it's not really that rare.
Old 2022-06-02, 07:48   Link #429
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
The "it's just" part is what makes the story fairly unique though?
I don't know about unique but I do find it enjoyable enough to stick even if I'm critical of it as a fan of the genre.
Quote:
The Angie duel event happened just like in the game. The sky pirate event happened just like in the game. The sky pirates even had one of the items of the "saintess equipment set" just like in the game.
Uh... Leon prefaces basically every event by telling us its happening years before its supposed to. By now its apparent to everyone but Leon that the game timeline is off the rails. And Leon has no problem derailing it further by going after "stupid ikemen" for being "stupid ikemen".
Quote:
However, I don't know why people keep thinking he is a dense protagonist.

He has known from as early as episode 2 or 3 that she likes him. He's been trying to keep a certain distance because she's to become the saintess just like in the game.
I think you're candy coating his mob complex a bit much here. If you want to dogpile Livia for her meltdown that's your prerogative but Leon's completely fucking oblivious to the situation -- even though Luxion is spelling it out for him -- that Olivia is in right now and that there's really no path for her to become the saintess. Whoever helped her reach that goal in the original setting is busy courting Marie right now.
Quote:
I can think of two "butler reincarnation villainess redemption" stories off the top of my head, so it's not really that rare.
Just claiming random stories exist without being able to provide names or context isn't exactly helpful. Are they even Japanese? Manhwa? itch.io games?

As far as Japanese archetypes villainesses tend to stay off limits if they are redeemed even if its a male focused work. If you're familiar with Raildex Shokuhou Misaki is a good example. If they're a love interest its usually a villainess with a heart of gold like Angie, or Desumi from Love After World Domination. I guess in the extreme brainwashing (or memory loss) is a thing -- like Redo, or I guess Lucy/Nyu -- but that's not really redemption either.
Old 2022-06-02, 09:15   Link #430
maximilianjenus
[E]

the cinderella one is manga, yeah. the premise.eis nice because it justifies the dislike the step mother and siblings have for cinderella without turning cinderella into a villain. which is quite fresh as a lot of reincarnated as a villainess are justa. role swap and the heroine is now the villain, extra drink points is the heroine is also a reincarnator.

i don't know the irl timeline but Isekai about reincarnatogn as a butler who wants to have the villainess is pretty common, i know which ones are being talked about but to get updates on those i just use the villainess keyword in the" ethical manga agregator". the fun part is that there is one where the mc is a 50yo otaku dude who just wants to play the villainess straight so the main character and her harem grow up, tho he only knows meta, not the actual plot of the game ( insert rose of.versailles reference).

back to hareming the villainess livia and Angie feel like one of the multiple villainess and mc Yuri Isekai stories.

back to it, the mix match of elements is what makes mobuseka fun. i think calling it a shit post undermines the author's work, for me.it is more like she started from a shitpost premise and then worked hard to make it logical, with decent but not perfect results. i wish we could discuss more about that in specific but it requires ln and probably WN ( i have not read that one) knowledge.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-02, 17:08   Link #431
moridin84
Custom User Title

Quote:
I don't know about unique but I do find it enjoyable enough to stick even if I'm critical of it as a fan of the genre.
Well it's a mix of the male fantasy "reincarnated into an RPG game" and female fantasy "reincarnated into an otome game". Where Leon represents the first and Marie represents the second. I don't know what story you think is similar to this.

Compared to My Next Life as a Villainess which has a dozen copycats.

Rather than unique, distinct might be a better word. Since all the elements exist in other stories, just not mixed together in the same way that OtomeMob does it.

Quote:
Uh... Leon prefaces basically every event by telling us its happening years before its supposed to. By now its apparent to everyone but Leon that the game timeline is off the rails.
All the game events that should happen has happened. So the train is still "on the rail" it's just going really fast. So Leon is concerned it's going to be a train wreck. Where we get to the end of the story and it crashes because Oliva can't fulfil her role as the protagonist.

Quote:
I think you're candy coating his mob complex a bit much here. If you want to dogpile Livia for her meltdown that's your prerogative but Leon's completely fucking oblivious to the situation -- even though Luxion is spelling it out for him -- that Olivia is in right now and that there's really no path for her to become the saintess. Whoever helped her reach that goal in the original setting is busy courting Marie right now.
This is rather separate to Leon being a "dense harem protagonist" right? Normally, when people call someone a dense harem protagonist, it means that they are oblivious to all the girls interested in them.

Quote:
Just claiming random stories exist without being able to provide names or context isn't exactly helpful. Are they even Japanese? Manhwa? itch.io games?
Akuyaku Reijou No Shitsuji-Sama Hametsu.
Old 2022-06-02, 19:11   Link #432
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Compared to My Next Life as a Villainess which has a dozen copycats.
I'm not sure why it should affect your enjoyment but there's at least a few Mobuseka copycats already.
Quote:
This is rather separate to Leon being a "dense harem protagonist" right? Normally, when people call someone a dense harem protagonist, it means that they are oblivious to all the girls interested in them.
I mean if you're going to make the case that Leon actually knows what he's doing or knows the appropriate distance to keep with Olivia that leaves me with a lot of garbage to sort through. And the mob complex kind of speaks for itself as far as dense harem protagonist Leon. He's obviously in denial and seeing things that aren't there between her, Greg, and Brad. At best he might acknowledge her affection from something like the Florence Nightingale effect.
Quote:
Akuyaku Reijou No Shitsuji-Sama Hametsu.
I... don't think you understand what the word "redemption" means, or at least the context in which I'm using it. I definitely do not mean scenarios where a villainess is prevented (saved?) from becoming a villainess, not that I disagree with the appeal, I guess.

I couldn't get into that manga either way. Mobuseka is still the best 'male in an otome game' series I've found so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
back to hareming the villainess livia and Angie feel like one of the multiple villainess and mc Yuri Isekai stories.
Livia and Angie are the best ship in the series... literally and figuratively. And I do appreciate plenty of aspects about the series, just... not the setting.
Old 2022-06-03, 17:04   Link #433
Magewolf

Quote:
I mean if you're going to make the case that Leon actually knows what he's doing or knows the appropriate distance to keep with Olivia that leaves me with a lot of garbage to sort through. And the mob complex kind of speaks for itself as far as dense harem protagonist Leon. He's obviously in denial and seeing things that aren't there between her, Greg, and Brad. At best he might acknowledge her affection from something like the Florence Nightingale effect.
I do not think anybody is trying to say Leon is handling the relationship stuff well just that there are reasons for it apart from being "dense". I think he takes the whole "this is a game" thing simultaneously to much and not enough to heart,especially since he has seen many times now that the world only seems to care about things being triggered not who actually does it. For example him being able to "steal" the protagonist's cheat item or pretty much everything Marie does. I think he is so taken with the "mob" character status because it was his whole focus until he actually started interacting with the game's "plot". Be a "mob" get a secure position out in the boondocks and ignore the game plot. And because it lets him act out safe in the knowledge that nothing he does really matters so there is nothing he can do about the plot anyway. The pirate attack when triggered went after the "protagonist" and her love interest even if it was two years early so he interpreted it as going after Olivia and Greg or Brad instead of going after her and him.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-03, 18:52   Link #434
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
I do not think anybody is trying to say Leon is handling the relationship stuff well just that there are reasons for it apart from being "dense". I think he takes the whole "this is a game" thing simultaneously to much and not enough to heart,especially since he has seen many times now that the world only seems to care about things being triggered not who actually does it. For example him being able to "steal" the protagonist's cheat item or pretty much everything Marie does.
I wasn't really trying to get bogged into the whole "dense" thing but moridin84 wasn't happy with my first response on the subject. I don't get the appeal of seeing him as not oblivious, but... whatever I guess.

I get the impression you're just assuming things because that's how it worked in Hamefura or something else you watched or read. Because here all the evidence points to Marie and Leon making dramatic changes to every aspect of the game timeline with no 'higher power' coming to make corrections. In other isekai the protagonists aren't concerned with things like staying a mob but are careful of their actions because the more events change their prescience will become useless. Leon isn't that pragmatic though, so he just ends up fumbling through the changes.
Old 2022-06-05, 11:25   Link #435
gecd
Cah Gunungkidul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbis View Post
Also it should be remember that,
"The combat part is so hard Marie have to push Leon to play the game for her"
"It so hard Leon need to buy cashshop item to clear the game"
that the entire point of Leon annoying behaviors and why he is hellbent on following game route.
He does 100% the game after all
Now I can imagine a Mobusekai game.....developed by Fromsoftware

0% alcohol, 80% ginger syrup, 10% love, 10% GALAU!!
gecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-05, 11:27   Link #436
Twi

Episode review is done.

Cut-Content:
Spoiler:
Old 2022-06-05, 12:16   Link #437
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

I was so looking forward to the shrine part.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-05, 13:02   Link #438
grecefar

It was a nice speech and all that but...

"Were did I go wrong?", really?, you ask that?, and he truly believes that there is a chance of Olivia falling in love with one of the 5 idiots and vice versa.

I can't believe Leon is THAT stupid.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-05, 13:08   Link #439
Tenzen12

Why not? They aren't that bad in the end and they did saved her.
Old 2022-06-05, 13:09   Link #440
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
"Were did I go wrong?", really?, you ask that?
Okay, what did he do to trigger a full on war from another Dukedom two years early?

You can easily show how he's screwed up parts of the story relating to Angelica's fate (though even that wasn't supposed to have happened yet, so at this point in the story it isn't off the rails yet), and he's screwed Olivia's development a bit (though again, that's mostly because of Marie), but what did he do to trigger a war two years early?
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem