AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2022-12-21, 11:41   Link #1421
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Goku had some growth spurs but they were hard to notice with Toriyama's past artstyle. The first one was during his first tournament against Tien, the second one was with Piccolo Jr, the next was with the Saiyan arc but then Toriyama's artsyle started changing a lot, most notably due to the shape of eyes and focus on built.
Old 2022-12-21, 12:33   Link #1422
Wandering Soul

That was a fun little chapter. Enjoyed it more than I enjoyed a good chunk of the previous arc.
Old 2023-01-19, 15:36   Link #1423
Blaat

Looks like we're going for a Lois Lane/Superman/Clark Kent dynamic with Mai crushing on Saiyaman x-1.
Old 2023-01-19, 19:09   Link #1424
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This arc is so refreshing after the endless battles of the previous one.

Bra is not even three and she knows her way around a computer better than Trunks does. We know who should inherit Capsule Corp.

Given that Mai had the disk, Bulma didn't just send her to school just for the reason stated in the chapter. She was probably told to keep an eye on Trunks. I had forgotten that Mai had a crush on Future Trunks in the manga too, I thought it was an anime thing only.
Old 2023-01-19, 21:32   Link #1425
Wandering Soul

At least there's some hope for the present Trunks.
Old 2023-01-21, 10:46   Link #1426
DragonOsman
Dragon King

Am I the only one thinking that Mai seems to have at least some inkling that X-1 could be Trunks? She seems to have almost caught on, no?
Old 2023-01-21, 11:05   Link #1427
GDB

This arc is definitely more enjoyable than past ones, but at the same time I'm just left sitting here like "can they at least write Trunks and Goten more as more interesting characters?"

Enjoyable still doesn't mean good.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-26, 12:27   Link #1428
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The handling of "romance" in this series has always been rushed but now that they are making it the big focus of the story I'm confused why are they exactly using Trunks and Mai. Future Trunks and Mai had a relationship because...? Did Future Mai somehow become younger using the Dragon Balls despite the lack of a god? Goten was always the silly one of the duo at least in the movie but in this case Trunks is the one who is always the comic relief. Same with the super hero outfits. Goten apparently went tsundere in the anime series from Super when Gohan once again became the Great Saiyaman or something.
Old 2023-01-26, 18:58   Link #1429
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
The handling of "romance" in this series has always been rushed but now that they are making it the big focus of the story I'm confused why are they exactly using Trunks and Mai. Future Trunks and Mai had a relationship because...? Did Future Mai somehow become younger using the Dragon Balls despite the lack of a god? Goten was always the silly one of the duo at least in the movie but in this case Trunks is the one who is always the comic relief. Same with the super hero outfits. Goten apparently went tsundere in the anime series from Super when Gohan once again became the Great Saiyaman or something.
Pilaf and his gang wished to become younger around the time the Z warriors were fighting #20 and #21. This was revealed in an omake. As for why Toriyama decided Mai and Trunks would be a thing... who knows what goes on in his mind? Mai might as well have been a new character, she's completely different from how she was in DB (dumb and vain).
Old 2023-01-27, 00:29   Link #1430
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Pilaf and his gang wished to become younger around the time the Z warriors were fighting #20 and #21. This was revealed in an omake. As for why Toriyama decided Mai and Trunks would be a thing... who knows what goes on in his mind? Mai might as well have been a new character, she's completely different from how she was in DB (dumb and vain).
Toriyama has already shown in multiple past interviews that he doesn't remember most of what he drew and only did it to get by.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-01-29, 17:17   Link #1431
Twi

Didn't he admit he forgot Lunch existed at one point?
Old 2023-01-30, 20:00   Link #1432
DragonOsman
Dragon King

I also remember him saying in an interview that he didn't remember SSJ3 or something along those lines. He forgets quite a bit of stuff.
Old 2023-01-31, 04:21   Link #1433
GDB

He remembered SSJ3, he just thought it was SSJ2 because that's the one he forgot. He also forgot the Mystic upgrade for Gohan.
Old 2023-01-31, 08:26   Link #1434
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

He also forgot Taopaipai ever existed. I remember how shocked Oda was.

IIRC, he actually reread the manga for Super. Even then, you'd think super fans like Toyotaro would tell him when he screws up, but it goes back to what I said a while ago: both Toyotaro and the editor worship him too much to say anything back to him. They'll gladly accept every one of his ideas.
Old 2023-01-31, 08:51   Link #1435
DragonOsman
Dragon King

And he apparently still can't remember Mystic because he still has Gohan going SSJ even though it shouldn't be possible for someone with Mystic unlocked to be able to do that.
Old 2023-02-02, 05:04   Link #1436
GDB

He seems to remember it exists now but not the functionality of what it actually is. He's following Tenkaichi Budokai rules of it just being another power-up, rather than an all-purpose replacement for any other source of power.

Well, at least Beast Mode should eliminate that going forward since they get to make new rules for it.
Old 2023-02-07, 09:10   Link #1437
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
He remembered SSJ3, he just thought it was SSJ2 because that's the one he forgot. He also forgot the Mystic upgrade for Gohan.
This is something I never understood about the series. What is exactly Mystic? Is it some sort of mixed heritage power? How come his design was altered a bit too especially in the eyes. If it's just an upgrade, then could also transform Super Saiyan at the same time? Super kinda made it random too with Piccolo saying "oh you can also use something besides Super Saiyan". Was Toriyama tired of Super Saiyans and wanted something simpler? Never understood this tidbit of Gohan and it became weirder with Beast.
Old 2023-02-07, 10:39   Link #1438
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
This is something I never understood about the series. What is exactly Mystic? Is it some sort of mixed heritage power? How come his design was altered a bit too especially in the eyes. If it's just an upgrade, then could also transform Super Saiyan at the same time? Super kinda made it random too with Piccolo saying "oh you can also use something besides Super Saiyan". Was Toriyama tired of Super Saiyans and wanted something simpler? Never understood this tidbit of Gohan and it became weirder with Beast.
Mystic is a stronger more focused and less wasteful version of Super Saiyan, the golden glow and hair from Super Saiyan is a sign of them wasting energy unnecessarily.

It's basically Super Saiyan perfected... at least from what I remember (I could be wrong though).
Old 2023-02-07, 12:44   Link #1439
DragonOsman
Dragon King

That's what I remember too. The Elder Kai said that to Gohan. And the Elder Kai brought out Gohan's latent power. Gohan only had that much because he's a Half-Saiyan and Half-Saiyans are said to be more powerful or have more latent power compared to pureblood Saiyans.
Old 2023-02-07, 19:04   Link #1440
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonOsman View Post
That's what I remember too. The Elder Kai said that to Gohan. And the Elder Kai brought out Gohan's latent power. Gohan only had that much because he's a Half-Saiyan and Half-Saiyans are said to be more powerful or have more latent power compared to pureblood Saiyans.
Pretty sure that's been retconned a long time ago. Goku and Vegeta are stronger than their sons will ever be. Granted, the kids don't train. Not sure where Gohan Beast stands, but Gohan was said several times to be the character with the greatest potential and I don't think it has to do with him being a half. He's just special.

Tags
donkan mc