Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2023-03-06, 15:18   Link #241
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
It is more complicated. Monarchs could be homosexual just fine but they were expected to have at least one heir. There were a bunch openly or almost openly gay ones.
History doesn't necessarily remember then that way though, that's why I brought up Alexander and Hephaestion. Whatever they were ends up being plenty disputed over the centuries.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-06, 15:36   Link #242
Rasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
History doesn't necessarily remember then that way though, that's why I brought up Alexander and Hephaestion. Whatever they were ends up being plenty disputed over the centuries.
That's only logical. The chroniclers were usually paid by the King himself and since homosexuality tended to be taken as a sin/crime/unethical, there is no reason for the King to brag about it. Of course, other countries could use it, but the information spread was terrible (so they might not even know), and it is also not really something much to write about. At most, it would be mentioned as one of dozens of "misdeeds" he did if the two countries really hated each other, but such information is hardly reliable.

Though in the end, the main point stands. The King/Queen is expected to have a child and to do that Anis would need a male husband.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-06, 19:20   Link #243
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
Though in the end, the main point stands. The King/Queen is expected to have a child and to do that Anis would need a male husband.
She'll grow a magic dragon dick and impregnate Euphie with it. Anis stated her refusal to ever get pregnant as one of the reasons she didn't want to inherit the throne.

OR, since the title has "magical revolution" in it, maybe she will cause an actual revolution and monarchy will be abolished.
Old 2023-03-06, 20:28   Link #244
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
Al is still around, so I'll bet on a full pardon when Anis takes the throne and the throne passed to Al's progeny or something.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-06, 20:30   Link #245
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
She'll grow a magic dragon dick and impregnate Euphie with it. Anis stated her refusal to ever get pregnant as one of the reasons she didn't want to inherit the throne.
Life, uh, finds a way.

Science babies are woefully underrated... and underrepresented, though I guess its hard enough just getting yuri kisses animated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Al is still around, so I'll bet on a full pardon when Anis takes the throne and the throne passed to Al's progeny or something.
They will be vampires so that's a non starter.
Old 2023-03-07, 04:16   Link #246
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Quote:
Life, uh, finds a way.

Science babies are woefully underrated... and underrepresented, though I guess its hard enough just getting yuri kisses animated.They will be vampires so that's a non starter.
We only series where the lesbian couple had actiual science babies which I know was Kyokai Senjo no Horizon and anime did not get to this part.

The upcoming I'm In Love with Villianess will have a more mundane solution.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-08, 09:10   Link #247
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 10:

nice date of Anis and Euphie. Just hard to refuse when the princess make a request.

oh, and Lumi has appeared. Things would be more interesting now.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-08, 17:27   Link #248
ryllharu

I thought this was an objectively bad episode.

It felt like they were screaming through what I can only guess should have been 2-3 episodes worth of content, leaving almost every narrative thread unfinished or summarized. They were very obviously racing through these parts of plot to introduce this Lumi character, who also feels like she's from a completely different series because we have never seen spirits manifest as spheres of light before.

Dialogues constantly felt like they were left hanging open. They zipped through one narrative with the hope than inferences in the next would close out the previous ones. Nothing felt like it had any time to breathe and not in a way that felt dense, just rushed.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-08, 18:35   Link #249
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
They were very obviously racing through these parts of plot to introduce this Lumi character, who also feels like she's from a completely different series because we have never seen spirits manifest as spheres of light before.
The thing about this series is that there were a lot of infodumps about spirits, magic, magicology, and how everything works together in the source from chapter 1 -- which the anime just sort of skimmed over.
Old 2023-03-08, 19:02   Link #250
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It was definitely fast-paced but it didn't feel rushed to me. They made it easy to understand the state of mind of each of the characters. Anis has resolved herself to becoming Queen out of guilt for what happened to Algard, and she believes that entails giving up everything: her carefree lifestyle, her magic research, love, etc... She's killing her own individuality in order to become an acceptable Queen for the nobles. This made Ilia and Lainie sad. This made Tilty utterly pissed off. As for Euphie, she didn't immediately realize Anis was giving up everything, and she is torn between upholding her duty as a noble and wanting Anis to remain free even if it means she has to rebel. The new character is apparently there to offer her the choice to give up her own freedom for Anis.

So yeah, I thought they did a good job.
Old 2023-03-09, 02:10   Link #251
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
The thing about this series is that there were a lot of infodumps about spirits, magic, magicology, and how everything works together in the source from chapter 1 -- which the anime just sort of skimmed over.
The show could have used some setup hints or foreshadowing in the earlier episodes, so that all this stuff doesn't feel so much like it's coming out of nowhere. Finding out the source material actually provides that kind of opportunity makes me wonder why they chose to leave it out.

It's not a deal-breaker, though. Just an oddity. I try not to second-guess people who are adapting stuff for the screen. It's a really hard thing to do.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-14, 19:32   Link #252
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Unsurpringly, they trimmed the fat here, and I can't say I'm too bored by that, since it is one of the dullest part of Volume 3. Of course, there is still some interesting stuff out there, but it really affected the pacing, so the anime made a more digest version, although some unfortunate cut still happened.

Spoiler for Missing content from the LN:

I'm not too sure why they changed so much around the last third of the episode. Depending how things are done for the last 2 episodes, it might be a bit contradictory, but well, at least, that part of the story is less disjointed. If they were to be more faithful to the LN, that episode could easily be adapted into 3 instead, which would have been questionable.
Old 2023-03-15, 08:09   Link #253
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Thanks for doing those summaries. Helps a lot.

I still think the anime did a pretty good job with episode despite all the cuts.
Old 2023-03-15, 17:20   Link #254
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I've only made it to the OP of ep 11, and I want to know: why did Anys face those guys alone? Why didn't she have anyone to support her and/or convince her not to murder those disgusting old coots? Or maybe just help her hide the bodies? (Murder sounded better with every word out of their mouths, just saying.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-15, 17:59   Link #255
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

A few people I know really said that she is powerful herself and has vampire and the best kingdoms magicin on her side. She could have just kill every damn noble who does not let her do as she pleases.

I understand that politics is not that simple, but author really made the drama in these two arcs pretty stupid in terms that they made it look like there is no better solution while in fact there are ton of them if you just think a little. So it is a bit jarring seeing characters choosing the most painful ones for the sake of plot.

Last edited by Nachtwandler; 2023-03-15 at 19:05.
Old 2023-03-15, 18:49   Link #256
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yeah, I'm not liking this arc. The drama feels very forced and Anis isn't acting like herself at all. It did get me curious what kind of solution they'll settle for though. Neither Anis nor Euphie's are viable.
Old 2023-03-15, 19:03   Link #257
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

You know. Euphy will be immortal. And Anis also now, probably. And yeah, another grip is that Anis was always smarter than she tries to look, but she does not make smart decisions this time.

Plus Anis parents are just 37. As nobles said, they cam mnage another heir. They just need someone to play the role for now.

Maybe I am biased as after Apothecary Diaries a lot of LNs look pretty weak in plot department, but a lot of my friends have the same complaint (and this series is still in my top 3 this season mind you).
Old 2023-03-15, 19:20   Link #258
Alchemist007
*Author

First episode that felt compelling to watch. Guess all it took was the prince disappearing .
Maybe we're in for some character growth.
Old 2023-03-15, 20:22   Link #259
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
Plus Anis parents are just 37. As nobles said, they cam mnage another heir. They just need someone to play the role for now.
After what happened with Al and Anis, I don't think creating another child to throw to the proverbial dogs is the wisest solution.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-03-15, 23:09   Link #260
Lukes YGO & WS on YT
Naracchi & Saracchi

Very sad to see how weak and pathetic Anis has become.
Quite interesting how all of the sudden things are reversed and Euphie is not the strong one.
Lukes YGO & WS on YT is offline   Reply With Quote