Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Shows had its up and downs. Sad ending,
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 05:34   Link #1943
magnuskn

Okay, so Permet is basically the afterlife or how do we have to understand all that?

We get the super big happy ending for everyone, within limits. I am a bit rankled that the Peil Hags apparently walked without prison time for killing El4n. Lots of character arcs also went pretty unresolved, with a lof of "wait, those characters are doing what now?" in the epilogue to boot. No kiss as well, booo! Commit to your yuri, guys!

Anyway, all in all still an enjoyable show with some of the best 2D mecha animation of the last decade or so. 7,5/10, could have been better with tighter plotting. Basically the first Gundam show I ever enjoyed as well, since they didn't put the pedal to the metal with senseless deaths and despair.
Old 2023-07-02, 05:46   Link #1944
azarhal

They went with the fast track super cheesy ending and it had rainbows.

And a 3 years timeskip.
And barely any questions from the show answered.
Some whacking theory ended up true thought.

Best reaction: Peil Hags realizing Miorine sold all their stuff.

But I have important questions:
- Did Miorine/Sulleta adopt those kids?
- Are Suletta, Miorine, Elnora, Hotz-sister-in-law, Earth House and Sabina's group all living together?

Sabina gave us a possible sequel hook (Space won't let Earthians keep all those assets), but looks like the Witch from Mercury story is over.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 06:05   Link #1945
kuroyanagi

Last episode, I was going "is this Unicorn?" and this episode... This is Unicorn all right. I was getting teary in the first half with Elan no. 4, but then rainbow gattai magical Caliburn sort of made me snort, and the rest was just pure mindless fun.

In the end the last episode managed to wrap everything up, even if the way they did was kinda acrobatic and Permet ended up being this magical particlw that can do anything the script requires. I had my issues with the writing along the way, but in the end everyone lived and got a good ending, the mobile suits were cool and the animation was probably one of the best in Sunrise's history, so let's leave it at that

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
But I have important questions:
- Did Miorine/Sulleta adopt those kids?
Aren't those the kids from the school Prospera teaches at? I thought it was her in the quick shot where a woman stands before a blackboard in a classroom.

[EDIT] I promised myself I wouldn't think about the details of the plot too much, but... In the end, what was were those Quiet Zero parts that went missing from Plant Quetta?

Last edited by kuroyanagi; 2023-07-02 at 06:13. Reason: Extra question, typo
kuroyanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 06:11   Link #1946
quagmire

So….. looks like the only casualties in the last episode were…..

Spoiler:

Quite reckless of the Peil hags to defect to the SAL, but left all their assets under Benerit’s control…….

Last edited by quagmire; 2023-07-02 at 06:27.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 06:33   Link #1947
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroyanagi View Post
Aren't those the kids from the school Prospera teaches at? I thought it was her in the quick shot where a woman stands before a blackboard in a classroom.
I'm going to have to rewatch the epilogue, looks like I missed some details.

Quote:
In the end, what was were those Quiet Zero parts that went missing from Plant Quetta?
The writers knew they would bypass that plot point, so they didn't bother explaining/showing it. Like many other things...
Old 2023-07-02, 07:14   Link #1948
chaosprophet

Quote:
[EDIT] I promised myself I wouldn't think about the details of the plot too much, but... In the end, what was were those Quiet Zero parts that went missing from Plant Quetta?
What the part is on itself isn't important, just that: It was a component needed to activate it to full cover all of earth sphere -> Belmeria and the SAL guy took it after they ran away from godoy with fang sacrifice (they were talking about that part just before godoy comes, and their next appearance to ask for Suletta help on convincing mom is one week later, as it have been on week since the school attack) -> that way Prospera had to take quiet zero to beneritt group instead of winning when they reached
Old 2023-07-02, 07:28   Link #1949
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Loved the scene with the Gundams coming together with the colorful rainbow effect. Overall, an okay ending to an okay show.

edit: I appreciate the episode title being the last lyric of the first OP, too.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 07:30   Link #1950
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I expected it but that was super rushed. Miorine didn't even get to say even one word to her dad, and Notrette never showed up despite pretty much every dead person doing it (whoever powered down the data storm last week will forever remain a mystery).

Permet being able to dissolve matter seemed like nonsense but alright. Eri was transferred to another vessel thanks to Permet magic and can now interact with other people, so good for her. It's all she ever wanted. It kind of seemed like she became Miorine's assistant of sorts? At least thanks to her line about being her sister-in-law we found out Miorine and Suletta got married, because of course no wedding and not even a kiss.

Prospera got away with everything. Peil hags lost their assets and ended up in a bang-'em and bin-'em joint, they deserved worse. El0n also got away with everything despite being a massive douche. The only one who ended up paying for his crimes was Shaddiq, really. Even took the fall for Prospera. Oh, and Nika spent three years in prison.

At the end of the day, yuri and extremely well animated 2D mecha battles are what kept this series afloat. If you dig a little bit there are just way too many problems.
Old 2023-07-02, 07:53   Link #1951
azarhal

El0n resign letter

Thanks for everything
I'm sick of all of you and I'm quitting Peil.
Best wishes.

Elan Ceres
Old 2023-07-02, 08:01   Link #1952
ryllharu

Honestly, not my favorite ending episode to an anime, and there was a lot I could forgive, but Aina The End screeching like nails on a chalkboard in the background during the supposedly touching ending scenes wasn't one of them. Especially since they shifted back to Yoasobi for the actual fade out song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
They went with the fast track super cheesy ending and it had rainbows.

And a 3 years timeskip.
And barely any questions from the show answered.
Some whacking theory ended up true thought.
The questions and plot threads that didn't need answers got brought up, like El4n somehow still existing and having superpowers to guide Ericht back to her Gundam. Ones that the episode later imply that only Suletta is capable of doing "soul" transfers.

I'd have been okay if everyone who had died at Permet Score 3 or more were the only ones in the datastorm afterlife but considering that some of the dead people had never even been in a Gundam, it was a huge stretch. Cardo I could understand, she was probably heavily cyborg and knew the most about the intended non-military applications of her research.

But hey, Petra will get her legs back, Secelia is still a bitch and Elan Prime is still a jerk, Harem Squad got a new job guarding Miorine, and Chuchu still has a short temper. All sunshine and rainbows.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 08:03   Link #1953
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
No kiss as well, booo! Commit to your yuri, guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
At least thanks to her line about being her sister-in-law we found out Miorine and Suletta got married, because of course no wedding and not even a kiss.
The wedding rings on SuleMio's fingers that were seen in the episode worth more than a thousand on-screen kisses TBH considering it's a same-sex marriage that's not a lot of anime dare to even portray.
Old 2023-07-02, 08:11   Link #1954
quagmire

Japan’s culture from my understanding is still very traditional/conservative. In this day of age still, a kiss would cause more outrage than the tomato squashing.
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 08:11   Link #1955
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
The wedding rings on SuleMio's fingers that were seen in the episode worth more than a thousand on-screen kisses TBH considering it's a same-sex marriage that's not a lot of anime dare to even portray.
And yet most people yearn for seeing some actual physical affection, aside from some hugs.
Old 2023-07-02, 08:22   Link #1956
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
I'd have been okay if everyone who had died at Permet Score 3 or more were the only ones in the datastorm afterlife but considering that some of the dead people had never even been in a Gundam, it was a huge stretch. Cardo I could understand, she was probably heavily cyborg and knew the most about the intended non-military applications of her research.
  • El4n (Gundam pilot)
  • Nadim (Gundam pilot)
  • Wendy (Gundam pilot)
  • Nyla (not seen piloting Gundam but we don't know how far she was involved in the Permet datastorm research)
  • Cardo (not seen piloting Gundam but we don't know how far she was involved in the Permet datastorm research)
  • Norea (Gundam pilot)
  • Sophie (Gundam pilot)
Old 2023-07-02, 08:23   Link #1957
azarhal

Quote:
The questions and plot threads that didn't need answers got brought up, like El4n somehow still existing and having superpowers to guide Ericht back to her Gundam. Ones that the episode later imply that only Suletta is capable of doing "soul" transfers.

I'd have been okay if everyone who had died at Permet Score 3 or more were the only ones in the datastorm afterlife but considering that some of the dead people had never even been in a Gundam, it was a huge stretch. Cardo I could understand, she was probably heavily cyborg and knew the most about the intended non-military applications.
I saw the theory that the data storm was just the underworld/afterlife before season 2 started. I actually went "they went with that whacky theory!" when I saw El4n.

Quote:
All sunshine and rainbows.
Sabina straight up says what is going to happen next (Spacians will try to get back the assets sold to Earthians) and Earthians are still pissed at Spacians as written on the TV News slide with Sarius/Delling.

It even seems like SAL kept their orbital weapon...
Old 2023-07-02, 08:28   Link #1958
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
  • El4n (Gundam pilot)
  • Nadim (Gundam pilot)
  • Wendy (Gundam pilot)
  • Nyla (not seen piloting Gundam but we don't know how far she was involved in the Permet datastorm research)
  • Cardo (not seen piloting Gundam but we don't know how far she was involved in the Permet datastorm research)
  • Norea (Gundam pilot)
  • Sophie (Gundam pilot)
Of those, only Nadim, Sophie, and Norea ever went to Permet 3 or more. Cardo I'm just giving a pass.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 08:34   Link #1959
Frontier

Well, yeah, of course they're charging to fire the laser up again and just in time as they've lost the Aerial and Suletta's body is collapsing in on itself in the Calibarn .

In hindsight leaving the obvious hostage bait behind was a bad idea. Great job by Kenanji on that front .

You know it's the future because they've got laser handcuffs! I can imagine Elnora taking some pleasure in having Miorine and Kenanji in cuffs .

Oh hey, Lauda got a nice moment with Earth House! As I live and breathe .

Even Elnora is feeling the physical pressure with her body slowly degrading, with the use of her legs next, but all that matters to her is making sure the world is fit for Eri and she can live. But Suletta finally stands up to her mother and tries to do things her way, because she doesn't want to give anything up. She's not going to move forward just to gain two, but move her own path to gain everything .

Oh snap, Elan No. 4!? He's back and ready to help Suletta out in her greatest pinch, leading a whole Newtype-esque scenario as Eri hands Suletta in the Calibarn all the Bits and completes the MS, and Suletta then takes the power of all the Gundams to help shut down the colonly laser and end things surprisingly non-violently. I mean, it's a very Gundam move, but I was honestly kind of shocked this was all resolved with no fighting. Suletta now has one of the lower body counts of any Gundam protagonist (which I guess is a good thing) .

With Miorine dissolving the Benerit Group and ceding their assets to Earth, things work out for the best. The Peil Hags now have nothing, the SAL have nothing, Earth gets more of what they want, and OG!Elan just bails which is pretty consistent with him .

Now all the dead characters are back...Sophie, Norea, Nadeem, and even all the Vanadis gang here to let Elnora know she can finally stop fighting and start living again, but it's her daughters telling her it's okay and they're right behind her that gets her to finally break down and sob. Elnora is finally free .

How convenient that the Gundams and Quiet Zero all dissolve in Permet, never to be seen again. I guess Gundams were never meant for this world, thus ending their curse .

Well, all's well that ends well...3 years later and everyone is older and wiser. Nika is out of prison (and with a new haircut) ready to get back to work and school, Chuchu and Rouji are working together in space (and getting along about as well as you'd expect), Shaddiq took the fall for everything (I guess for Prospera and Miorine's sake) and with him and his Harem getting what they wanted thanks to Miorine he can head to his trail with his head held high, Miorine (also with a haircut) is now working to improve things on Earth and hearing out the voice of the protestors and discontent along with Shaddiq's Harem as her retinue (I guess she helped get them off early), No. 5 is visiting the sights from Norea's sketchbook, Lauda and Petra are together with Petra's new GUND-Arm legs, Guel is working with OG!Elan and Secelia (looking amazing in business attire) to fix up Asticlassia, the Benerit Group is being investigated meaning their will be repercussions for the Vanadis Incident, Eri is now a sassy AI girl living her life with Miorine and Suletta...who last but not least is married to Miorine (!!!) and living the quiet life with her mother and in the plains, ready to build a school for the kids with her wife and friends by her side. Can't think of a happier ending for the gang !

Last edited by Frontier; 2023-07-02 at 08:49.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2023-07-02, 08:36   Link #1960
kuroyanagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosprophet View Post
What the part is on itself isn't important, just that: It was a component needed to activate it to full cover all of earth sphere -> Belmeria and the SAL guy took it after they ran away from godoy with fang sacrifice (they were talking about that part just before godoy comes, and their next appearance to ask for Suletta help on convincing mom is one week later, as it have been on week since the school attack) -> that way Prospera had to take quiet zero to beneritt group instead of winning when they reached
Thanks, this makes sense.
Trying to straighten out all of the motivations and thought processess of Prospera/Shaddiq/Peil hags & Original Elan makes my head hurt... Like, it turns out Prospera's objective was 100% "make world where Eri can live freely" and 0% "get revenge for the Vanadis attack" Okay, maybe that was part of her initial goal and then she had to change plans, but yeah... In the end, nobody takes responsibility for that massacre.

Last edited by kuroyanagi; 2023-07-02 at 08:38. Reason: clarifying wording
kuroyanagi is offline   Reply With Quote