AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-11-05, 20:26   Link #1
TamaNeko

First time looking for a job - any advice?

Things have gotten bad in my situation, and now I'm forced to drop college. Right now everything is still fine as I'm back to living with my parents, but they can only afford to give me a place to stay and and food to eat, but nothing much else.

So where do I start to go looking for a job? I'm guessing retail jobs would be the only thing I could get for now. Any advice?

Also, I have seriously considered the military, probably Air Force so that I don't get sent to Iraq, but only as a last resort.

Last edited by TamaNeko; 2006-11-05 at 20:48.
TamaNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 21:03   Link #2
~Tsukuyomi
[- Caramelldansen Spam -]

Well, I was going to say that teachers are your best friends, but knowing that you go to collage, that's a bit something else... Unless you have great relationships with your college instructors...

Here is a list jobs a person would hire you in... Higher chances on top:

Fast Food
Groceries
Small Retail (7-11, Gamestores, Collectors Goods, etc.)
Large Retail (Refridgerators, Televisions, Ovens, etc.)

Somewhere between should be the department stores... Hope this somewhat helps in a way, I think...
~Tsukuyomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 21:30   Link #3
Xefiris
Lord of bored!

Send a message via AIM to Xefiris Send a message via Yahoo to Xefiris
I say go Airforce, because you have another shot at education that way. You can also consider going back to school somehow, and this time give it everything you got. Community colleges would be a good way to get back on your feet.

If you have a lot of charisma and excellent social skills you can advance real well in retail.

But if I were you though, I would go Airforce.

Even though it seems biased... I hope I helped you decide to go airforce lol j/k... Try and weigh out the pros and cons then think about how they will benefit you. Do whatever makes you happy, and can help you keep a stable independent lifestyle.
Xefiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 22:20   Link #4
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Some good suggestions here. Since I'm unaware of the specifics of your situation, I can't really tailor my reply, but here's what I say.

Right now, it's the middle of the semester. Devote yourself fully toward finding a job until the next semester starts up. Retail will be an easy shot right now, during the holidays. At least get yourself some kind of income. When you have a little, crappy job, look for a better one, perhaps in the field for which you're studying (i.e. some kind of construction if you're doing that kind of engineering). It'll really help in the future to have your resume padded with some kind of relevant experience.

When the next semester starts up, take a class at the community college or something to keep your school mindset sharp, and also it's cheaper! than college classes. You can transfer the credits later.

You may try signing up at a temp agency. They'll most likely interview you and help you improve your resume, plus you'll have someone else who's looking for a job for you.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 22:46   Link #5
copyninja07
Fumoffu!

Send a message via AIM to copyninja07 Send a message via MSN to copyninja07
Try to avoid Fast Food restaurants, yes that means McDonalds, Burger king, and especially KFC.

Believe i've worked at all three. And. It. Is. Not. Pretty.
copyninja07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-05, 23:44   Link #6
Knightmare213

If you're going to the USAF, you better have a perfect vision. If you don't have a perfect vision, I'm not sure if they allow you to be a pilot (if you want to be one) after you get a laser vision correction ,since I know Canada Forces Air Command Reserves don't let you.

If you're thinking about getting into the military, go ahead. And if the Reserves within the USAF never gets sent to war, like the Canadians, go ahead. I'm going to enlist in the Canadian Army Reserves as an Infantry this summer. I could do without my 30 pounds of fat on my stomach and my ass.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 01:51   Link #7
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
Try the cracker barrel, as long as your over 18 they allow you become a server, if you arent there are some laid back positions that pay around $7-8. It's not all to be bad the first few months. But since its serving: the money you get is tipped based and you can alot of money each shift on the busy months. After you get sick of the scene or think that the pay isnt enough, when your 19 can apply at higher class alcohal serving restraunt and the money you'll make will either allow you to get the same amount of money for less time or just make more at the same amount of hours.
Lst2touchdasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 03:07   Link #8
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Never discount the option of a more 'labor intensive' job either. >.>

Unskilled labor pays quite well and often your employer is willing to have you trained which means more money for you. Despite the level of education I've received, I picked up an unskilled labor job when unable to land a job in my desired field. I started at a mere $12/hr (plus a shift premium), which isn't that bad actually, and after my employer payed for my operator training (heavy machinery is fun ), I now earn just under $22/hr - all within 8 months. It's definitely not for everyone but if you're willing to work and put forth the effort, it can be rewarding.

Not everyone needs to work retail, I know I can't (very poor customer relation skills) and I must say I enjoy my job very much.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 10:35   Link #9
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Well, my advice isn't what kind of job, it's what to do.

If youy have an intyerview, don't show up in jeans and a t-shirt. It's walways better to be overdressed than under-dressed. Wear a collared shirt, and do something to at least make yourself presentable. Dress how you would dress if you were to go to church.

Don't chew gum. It looks awful and unprofessional, as well as irritating.

I have more, but I gotta go to class now...
Old 2006-11-06, 12:03   Link #10
Ending

If you have been in the college and still intend to finish it, you should consider your local banks. Their office-hours are decend (10-16) and the pay is set (always 1.400 € here), so experience and whatnot will not have any effect to your benefits. The only thing that matters is the job-review: you must convince the reviewer of your customer-service abilities and willingness to work in the same place for years. It's not particularly well-paying, but it's good enough if you gradually take courses from evening college...

Other than that, start thinking what you want to do with your life and what you enjoy working with. Got a knack for artistry? Many companies are always looking for a talented artist. Coding? Junior software-engineer. Great peoples-person? Customer-service and marketing is valued everywhere. It's up to you to create the possibilities. Of course, I'm saying this from my own experience and I'm just about to finish me uni, so my POV might be a bit optimistic...
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 12:34   Link #11
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

It's not about what you can do, but what you're willing to do

don't let the abcense of a diploma prevent you from applying for jobs you'd like

Experience and knowledge may be valuable, but enthusiasm goes a long way
most companies always try to get "new blood" in, to prevent "old farts" from
getting lazy and careless

maybe you'll have to put some water with the wine to land a job, but after that,
it's never too late to follow nightschool
Old 2006-11-06, 13:14   Link #12
Sides

You could take a year out
and go for an intership or industrial placement, in you study field.
If you're lucky they might give you s full time job or they might sponsor you fees,
in case you want to finish your degree.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 13:35   Link #13
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Someone mentioned temp agency, and I echo that idea.
They really do have somewhat broad array of jobs lined up for many people, and they do the job matching for you. Usually they perform some simple job skills test on you to determine what you're capable of doing. I applied with about 6 different temp agencies just over 6 years ago, and I was immediately offered about 4 jobs. The pay wasn't great. I picked a first shift data entry clerk position at $7/hr. I was chatting online already at that time, so I could type about 65wps at fair accuracy, so my boss gave me a raise within 2 months of starting - up to $7.50/hr. (Woo hoo XD ) Then I showed off that I could program, and I was on track to temp-to-perm hiring. I'm now happily employed with the same people.

And if you're lucky, the company may offer tuition reimbersement program as a part of the benefit. My employer does. You may want to pick larger corporations if you get multiple offers for the future expandability, even if it means the initial pay is not as good.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 13:41   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I would avoid Toys R Us, well pretty much any retails. But if you are forced to work at any like those, it's ok. Avoid Fastfood.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 14:02   Link #15
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

It doesn't hurt to start from the bottom and work your way up.

by the "bottom" I mean Fast Food or Groceries
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-06, 14:05   Link #16
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
If you have been in the college and still intend to finish it, you should consider your local banks. Their office-hours are decend (10-16) and the pay is set (always 1.400 € here), so experience and whatnot will not have any effect to your benefits. The only thing that matters is the job-review: you must convince the reviewer of your customer-service abilities and willingness to work in the same place for years. It's not particularly well-paying, but it's good enough if you gradually take courses from evening college...
I 2nd that suggestion. I work at a bank for about 2 and a half years after college while I was trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. I only left because I got a better oppurnity elsewhere to make more money.

The pay was bad and work boring but the bank also had a lots of good benefits.

- good Health (very important this day and age) and 401k retirement plan and stock options (never to early to start saving money)
- Good on the job training on people skills you could alsways later.
- looks good on a resume. Putting a bank in your resume looks a lot different then macdonald, especially if you are 20+.
- Most banks will help pay for your college if you decided go back to school. If you meet a few requirements like gpa and work hours.
- Because banks never pay their employees enough, they are always hiring new tellers. Especially in the holiday season.
- Plus thye also pay for your training, at least most do.

I defintely look up a bank in your local area to see about a job.

The military is good option, but with the war in iraq not going to finish anytime soon. You might find yourselve shipout to somewhere overseas. The benefits are defintely top notch through.
Old 2006-11-06, 20:06   Link #17
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

using my bros account. Avoid retail. Go for something relevant to what you want to eventually do. Also, if you try to switch fields later, your retail experience will amount to next to nothing on your resume. Believe me I am going through it now. Got job-specific training and am having the hardest time switching from horrid low paying department store job to something I have trained for. I'm finally looking for help through a temp agency and hopefully they can help me this time around. Good luck to you.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 11:05   Link #18
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
The Air Force sends some of their folks to Iraq, make no mistake. They do tend to have cushier jobs, but they are there.

Hit up placement and temp agencies. Prove to them that you are polite, respectful, skilled, and can work, and you should find work fast.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 16:15   Link #19
Kimura-sensei
Retired AOne Staff

I second that with Mr. Paper. There are several very good paying blue collar jobs out there. Construction pays well, especially underground stuff (very dangerous) but NYC Tunnel Rats get paid $100k/yr. Subway operator for NYC earns $55k/yr with benefits. Not sure, but I think you can get in as a police officer with just a HS diploma. NYC cop pay is lousy but after a few years on the force, you make $55-65k/yr. Nearby counties like Nassau, make $55k start, avg 75k after 5 yrs on force.

Or... Takes a certain driven personality... but stockbrokers don't need college degrees. All you need to be is 18yrs old and the ability to sell. You won't be able to start with any of the big houses (Merrill Lynch, Paine Webber, Goldman Sax, LB, TDW, etc) since they want Ivy league kids or MBA's, so you need to start at a chopshop. Yeah it sucks, but you need to start somewhere. Get your series 7/63, get a $100-500k book, and quit that chopshop and go to any of the big firms. At the small places, it's hard to make some money. At a well known firm, and with a proven ability to sell, you should be able to make 6-7 figures.

Or, try joining a company that does medical instrument sales. I'm not saying medical supplies (wheelchairs, crutches, wraps, gauze, betadine, etc)... that's different, and lower markups. Those sales people easily make $100k/yr. There's an insane markup with medical instruments, it's simple to earn a huge commission off of that. This is probably easier for you to do, less stressful than a broker.

Stay away from banks in US. May be a fine job in Europe, but not in US. There's no full time jobs at banks. In order for banks to save the most money possible, all positions are part-time jobs. As a result, benefits are lousy as well.

Don't go with retail stores either. Minimum wage, and waste of skills. Stick with the retail sales I mentioned before. There's good money in that.

Military... don't do it. Even Air Force personnel are assigned as guard duty positions to protect bases and convoys in Iraq. Take a closer look at the deaths in our armed forces... Air Force folks do die... and it's not from being shot down in a plane or chopper. While risk of death is real, the risk of injury is even higher... injuries from shrapnel or projectiles are permanent injuries to your tissues and muscles. You won't be the same once you get hurt. It's too big of a trade off...
Kimura-sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 18:43   Link #20
raikage
日本語を食べません!

Hard to say, considering we have no idea where you live.

I assume USA, since you mention Iraq.

What's around where you live?
How far are you willing to commute?

What would you (realistically) like to do or not do?

Being a waiter is supposed to be a pretty decent-paying job for a broke college student.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote