AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-16, 00:46   Link #281
wao
OK.

I think this is only superficially similar to Blood+... Perhaps those who wanted something more serious and well-executed from BLood+ and were disappointed (like me), are watching this. But I think this might be too boring to people who liked Blood+. Heck, it even bores me sometimes (though that's not saying much...)

I don't think it's that this show has a very small number of fans though, it's just that a lot of them are probably the type that don't join forums and talk about them. And I guess it is hard to digest without the clarifying text, which got dropped/delayed since this is licensed, which provides another barrier... But I think there's nothing wrong with having a small fanbase at all.

Speaking of which though, I really must get around to watchign ep 15, MrProphet's description of it got me interested, and I'm up for anything about the Maximilien-Durand-Lia thing. This sort of show isn't the type that I rush out to watch as soon as it comes out but the type that I eventually do get around to watching in bits and pieces with enough time to think about it/figure out what's going on.
Old 2006-12-16, 16:32   Link #282
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I don't find it anything at all similar to Blood+. The latter is a very "fanservisey" series, since "schoolgirls with katanas" are very moe and chic for quite a number of fans.

Chevalier is very different since: a) It has no Japanese, b) It features unfamiliar historical settings, c) It has no obvious moe factor or a fandom cliche.

Thus the lack of major interest from Japanese folks. Still, I think ADV Films is betting on it to get a bit more popular in the West, since it got licensed and will be released so fast.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 04:59   Link #283
lommm
l'homme de lommm

yeah, i guess i just meant based on some of the style and that production i g did both...

i totally agree, though. it's a show that will do much better in the west than it does in japan. i guess that's why adv is fast tracking it and coyote ragtime... both seem more european (or american, in coyote's case)

btw, anyone seen ep 16: "Where the Soul Lies" yet?
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 05:22   Link #284
wao
OK.

Well, to be honest, I think this show has buckletloads of tasteful moe if you know where to look (and if you're a girl), except that nobody makes a big deal about it, which is all nice and fine of course.

Of course it's easy to disagree on this matter so I'll just leave it as it is... and I curse myself for not getting episode 15 when it was hot, now the torrent's most positively dead...
Old 2006-12-18, 05:36   Link #285
ntsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Well, to be honest, I think this show has buckletloads of tasteful moe if you know where to look (and if you're a girl), except that nobody makes a big deal about it, which is all nice and fine of course.

Of course it's easy to disagree on this matter so I'll just leave it as it is... and I curse myself for not getting episode 15 when it was hot, now the torrent's most positively dead...
Well the Chinese sub is still active

Btw EP15 rox, the emotion is just tense in there..
ntsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 15:29   Link #286
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

I've seen Recit 16 and it was simply gorgeous. Despite not having any crazy-ass animation, it looked and felt so good, so pretty, so well put together. The women looked hot and the men were gar. Everyone did their best on this episode, no doubt about it.

By the way, did Charles know about Saint-Germain's involvement in the Revolution before? I don't remember if he saw the Count with Orleans and Beaumarchais or not.
Old 2006-12-20, 10:56   Link #287
glyph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
Episode 13:

Another great episode, but several things amused me.

- For one thing, a Satanic church in the open view?
Medmenham Abbey and its weird cultists, apparently, were based on a real place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellfire_Club

Although, ...
Spoiler for recit 16:

P.S. Why do they keep referring to Queen Charlotte as "Marie"? Even the cast page lists her as "Marie Charlotte" instead of "Sophia Charlotte". An error?

Last edited by glyph; 2006-12-20 at 14:31.
glyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 00:46   Link #288
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Interesting. So, Francis Dashwood is a historical figure. Cute. 8)

And yes, I've also found no evidence to suggest that Queen Sophia had "Marie" as one of her middle names.

But I wonder if they'll make the madness of King George as one of the manifestations of his dealings with Robespierre and Saint-Germain. 8))
Old 2006-12-21, 12:46   Link #289
lommm
l'homme de lommm

that would be hilarious and awesome!!! i can see george running through the halls in his underwear now!
Old 2006-12-21, 20:01   Link #290
Asrialys

EDIT: My bad. Ignore what this post used to say if you saw it. Don't know why I was thinking Chevalier when I mentioned a download. It wasn't Chevalier.

Last edited by Asrialys; 2006-12-21 at 20:23.
Asrialys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 07:01   Link #291
Doria

I was fairly surprised by the bit of fanservice in... uh, one of those Russia episodes, but it wasn't really true fanservice, I don't think.

ADV is pushing it very hard. I'll be interested to see how it does. And I definitely agree that its target audience is less likely to post in forums and the like. Also, if it would inherit anything, I'd think it more likely to inherit the Ergo Proxy audience, as I believe that's the show that was in the timeslot previous (feel free to correct me, if I've got that wrong). Like EP, it is also aired in HD and has similarly thought-provoking matters, if one cares to think about them.

I don't think the King actually saw Saint-Germain, but I'd be fairly surprised if doesn't know about SG's involvement. He seems pretty savvy, which makes the prospect of his eventual fate interesting for sure.

lommm, yes you are one of the ones who said that, but not the only one...
Doria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-22, 07:41   Link #292
wao
OK.

I think it is in a different timeslot but on the same channel nonetheless. EP's timeslot was, iirc, taken over by Kemonozume and then Tokyo Tribe2 if I'm not wrong... But yeah, it has roughly the same type of audience.

Is ADV really pushing this title? I don't really follow the American DVD release scene or anything but could you say how? Like is there a trailer or something?
Old 2006-12-22, 09:24   Link #293
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Chevalier is getting a rather fast release in the States. Almost right after it finishes airing in Japan, which is very swift by R1 standards.
Old 2006-12-27, 11:26   Link #294
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

OH NOES-
Spoiler for Episode 17:

Can't wait till next week. Episode 17 turned out to be quite unexpected, all things considered. I never thought that they'd actually go this far this soon.
Old 2006-12-27, 11:57   Link #295
wao
OK.

WHAT?!!!!

ΩΩΩ <なっなんだってー

Oh my god! That was kind of unexpected.

That's...

Okay that does it, I'm watching the episode now. Thanks as always for the caps and stuff.

Spoiler:

(Sorry that as usual I have absolutely nothing substantial to contribute and can only offer the usual silly response...)
Old 2006-12-27, 12:11   Link #296
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Yeah, I can't really say anything worthwhile either, these days. 8)

Oh, and I thought that Lorenzia was cool because
Spoiler:

Oh, and the chief animator for this episode really likes spinning the frame 360 degrees along the horizontal axis, since he/she did it several times during the episode. It was weird.

By the way, the cover for the American release of Chevalier D'Eon is made to look like Robespierre's book of sorcery. 8)

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6...em/72565/4/0/0
Old 2006-12-27, 13:38   Link #297
wao
OK.

That's a pretty cool design. It's kind of charmingly low-key in that it hardly pops out as an anime DVD at all. That's good, really. I guess this time aroudn the producers were quite perfectly aware of who really was going to watch this anime and wisely didn't consider making it more appealing in any way.

Though how on earth they will make a profit from it is an entirely different issue, I guess.

I suppose it reminds me of the whole feel of this series. You know, like it's very solid. Like a book. But not completely glossy; it's got bits of... 地味ness here and there, like the sometimes jarry looking CG which we just brush aside and the sometimes flat colour palette and the overly smooth panning in some parts and the typography of the show even... But maybe that's just me, I guess.

Well, thanks to the earthquake disrupting connections I have only finally got ep 17, but... I will not attempt to watch Chevalier of all shows at 2:35 am in the morning.

Edit: Going through a backlog of Chevalier episodes. Don't have anything insightful to share but I guess I'll write down what I thought of them

Spoiler for ep 15:

Now to watch ep 16 after the usual credits nonsense... (Ah! No wonder! It was co-storyboarded by the director! GJ!)

Episode 16 and 17 - Okay, this is where I wish someone would come in and be very nice and fill up the gaps. I have no idea what really went on. Okay, to be honest I guess I've been half-sleeping through a lot of the episodes... So is it roughly that
Spoiler:

If only I paid more attention to what people were saying instead of staring at the pwetty animation, really. :|

I don't have the motivation to rewatch and figure out what exactly has been going on, though...

Well, at least next episode looks VERY COOL though. I really hope some god like lommm would descend and enlighten the unlearned mortals like me about what exactly is going on...

Last edited by wao; 2006-12-28 at 11:33.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-28, 20:35   Link #298
Doria

wao, sorry for the delay in response--silly holidays (haha)! I read an interview--maybe on ANN-- with ADV about the series they were most excited about, and Chev was the one the VP singled out. Which is some nice press for the series, for sure (and, I'm sure, not an answer given w/o the okay of marketing).
Old 2006-12-31, 07:02   Link #299
lommm
l'homme de lommm

um...

i will do so very soon. i haven't even seen ep 17 yet. i think i will go back and watch 13-17 tomorrow or maybe on new year's day, as it always seems like stores and things are closed, so there's nothing to do on the 1st. then i will post. wao, you don't sound like your that far off. but nonetheless, i notice that more people discussed the series when i posted summaries, so maybe i'll make one big summary of the England arc to date. you know, try to put the most important parts for understanding purposes. it might be a couple of days. after tomorrow night, i might wake up in some strange land and have to make my way back home with the help of my talking motorcycle.

...erm...

EDIT: wow! that dvd looks much cooler than the jp release. i'm totally buying that the day it comes out. i know i should spend my money on something else, but this is a series i really want to be able to watch on a big screen with 7.1 sound!

EDIT2: "This title will be released on February 20, 2007." So sayeth amazon, and the lord made it so.
Old 2007-01-02, 16:57   Link #300
Doria

I plan to buy it when it comes out! I can't wait!!

Ah, to have a talking motorcycle... I've got to finish reading that novel...

Tags
historical, supernatural