AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-20, 10:18   Link #1
marvelB

Chapter 439 discussion (spoilers)

As per the forums rules, please don't ask or mention where to download the (licensed) manga. Also remember not to post or link to any translations of the manga, since this is illegal as well. Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome) but please do not discuss scans, raws, translation groups, etc.

Wow, the new chapter is out surprisingly early....

Anyways, since I haven't seen a full translation yet, here's what I can make out:

-Luffy, Chopper, and Franky are celebrating Usopp's return.
-The crew discuss the ship's new name. They come up with a whole bunch of wacky names like "Dango Gorilla Lion-Go" or Lion Gang Champion-go", but Franky already decided the ship's name with the Galley-La crew: Thousand Sunny. Luffy and co. approve of the name.
-Luffy taunts Garp. After he knocks one of his cannonballs aside, a pissed Garp throws a gigantic cannonball at Sunny. However, Franky was able to get the ship away by firing "Coup de Burst" from the ship's back.
-Everybody (even Garp and Aokiji) seem glad that the crew got away. Franky says since Merry was able to fly away like that previously, so can Sunny.
-At W7, the giants talk about their king, while Pauly and Kokoro talk about going back home (I think). It also seems that the Franky Family has decided to work for Iceburg now....
-At another island, Smoker (now a Commodore,) talks with Tashigi (who's also promoted, and got a whole lot hotter) about their promotions and the Enies Lobby incident (I believe).
-Then, at Alabasta, Cobra, Chaka, Igaram, and Pell all look at the crew's new bounties, and are worried. However, Vivi isn't, and believes in the future Pirate King.
-Finally back to the crew, who are all celebrating, and are ready to go to their next destination: the Merman Island, bringing this storyline to a close.

A great chapter to bring this storyline to an end! Plus, it was great to see Smoker, Tashigi and Vivi in the storyline again. And the fact that Franky was in the colorspread made it all the more awesome! Can't wait for their next adventure to start....

Last edited by xris; 2006-12-21 at 05:57.
Old 2006-12-20, 14:43   Link #2
Slayerx

"Thousand Sunny" eh? not to sure about that, not to catchy... but i do think i could get used to just calling it Sunny ^^

Kinda funny that the ship has it's own "Coup de Burst"... it's kinda like attaching a rocket to the back of it =p
Though it is a tad bit different from what some would expect from Franky... i think most poeple were excpecting something more like a "battle franky"; insane fire power and what-not... Though still, the escape trump card is a good one, it will do well to help the strawhats escape if the marines overwhlem them... grant it, i kinda how that it doesn't tunr into a plot devise that they use to get out of every sticky situation...

Quote:
Smoker (now a Commodore,) talks with Tashigi (who's also promoted, and got a whole lot hotter) about their promotions and the Enies Lobby incident (I believe).
Bout time they made a reappearence, we haven't seen them since the alabasta arc i think... Smoker's just two promotions away from becoming a vice admril... though i wonder what tashigi is now...

Speaking of which, tashigi did get a lot hotter but it came at a slight price... the glasses used to make her look cute when they were on, now they make her look dorky... She aught to get contacts ^^ (though that would ruin her running gag...)
Old 2006-12-20, 14:48   Link #3
Freeter
beyond

Tashigi =

Now if only Zoro can get off his Kuina complex....
Old 2006-12-20, 15:32   Link #4
marvelB

Oh yeah, Tashigi's rank is supposed to be something like Second Lieutenant now, I believe. Heh, I just find it highly amusing how much Tashigi's character design evolved compared to Smoker (who doesn't really look much different, aside from the new scar). She looks like she could be Robin's sister or something...

And I really like the new ship's name. The lion's head does cetainly look like a sun, after all. But now I just want to know what Franky's "Soldier Dock System" is. The name suggests it could be weapon-related, but it might be something different altogether...

Edit: Well, it turns out that Smoker plans on taking out Luffy in the New World (along with gathering forces strong enough to take on the crew). It would be quite interesting if he set up a little "welcome party" for the crew when they finally get there...

Oh, and that thing about the giants talking about their king was actually them wanting to bring Soge King with them to Elbaf. I guess that place is in the New World, as well....

Last edited by marvelB; 2006-12-20 at 16:33.
Old 2006-12-20, 17:51   Link #5
Climhazard
Funk Freed

Very nice chapter indeed, Smopker and Tashigi are looking much cooler now, i wonder where abouts they are in that scene though? (with all the ruins and such)
Old 2006-12-20, 19:12   Link #6
Strike Mk.II

Great closure to this Arc.
Luffys taunting his Granpa resulting in Garp throwing the Giant Cannonball was hillarious.
Although I still aint completly with how the new ship looks, what it did in this chapter and what will see it do in the future is gonna make us forget about the looks.
Nice to get a glimpse of the other characters from past arcs - Pell seems to be doing well in Alabasta
it'll give nice nostalga when that part is animated in particular.
Old 2006-12-20, 19:23   Link #7
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strike Mk.II View Post
Nice to get a glimpse of the other characters from past arcs - Pell seems to be doing well in Alabasta
it'll give nice nostalga when that part is animated in particular.
actually one thing i kind of wonder is that since it's been so long since alabasta, i wonder how many anime watchers will actually forget pell survived that explosion (something still groan about)
the explosion was very memoriable, but the surival bit at the end was rather subtle... if i was keeping up with forums and such i think i might forget...

well actually, then again, I probably wouldn't... that bit that showed that Pell survived was a pretty big "WTF" moment for me, so i probably wouldn't forget it... it would only remind me of such...
Old 2006-12-20, 21:00   Link #8
marvelB

Yeah, Oda had me fooled into thinking that Pell died also, but we all know how he doesn't like killing off his characters (outside of flashbacks, that is).... Well'm still glad to see him, anyway.

But now that the crew finally left W7, I wonder what they'll encounter at the Florian Triangle? Will they really find ghosts, treasures, and a new sword for Zoro? Or is there more to the Triangle then meets the eye? Either way, it seems that the crew is gonna have an interesting adventure on hand before they reach the Merman island...
Old 2006-12-20, 23:38   Link #9
-Breakthrough-

I seen a lot of changes in this recent chapter. Like Vivi, Smoker, and tashigi's slightly new art styles for example. It has been a while since he drew them. Oh well XP

Anyhow, its good to see Garp let them off easy but I still wanted to see more of his awesomeness and WIN.

Ghosts would be an interesting case in the Florian triangle, but burried treasure got Nami's hopes up. Lets see how Zoro will obtain his new sword.
Old 2006-12-21, 02:16   Link #10
S_C_L-1

Wow, that was a really long chapter!

Quote:
Though still, the escape trump card is a good one, it will do well to help the strawhats escape if the marines overwhlem them... grant it, i kinda how that it doesn't tunr into a plot devise that they use to get out of every sticky situation...
Franky said it required 3 bottles of cola to do that... so it wont be abused.
Old 2006-12-21, 02:24   Link #11
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_C_L-1 View Post
Franky said it required 3 bottles of cola to do that... so it wont be abused.
Well, cola's not exactly rare or expensive...
rather cost-effective fuel if you ask me
Old 2006-12-21, 05:52   Link #12
S_C_L-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
but they arent exactly the richest pirates on the grand line, spend long periods of time out at sea, have a penny-pincher in charge of finances, ppl drink it and Franky NEEDS it to fight well...

point is, Oda can easily decide that "they cant use it right now" whenever he wants while making it a VERY serious issue and comic relief at the same time!

go Oda!
Old 2006-12-21, 12:43   Link #13
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
In the US, a gallon of Cola costs more than a gallon of gasoline. (Coca Cola, Pepsi and RC).
Old 2006-12-21, 23:37   Link #14
Undertaker

No they are not, where in U.S. do you live in?

1 Gallon = 3.78 Liters

You can get 2 2-liters bottle of Cola for about $2.50 which would make them about the same as gasoline. [$2.30 per gallon in where I live] But Cola went on sale all the time, and you can get them for $1. And if you went with generic brand in Walmart, they cost about 80 cents for 2-L bottle......

Anyway, this is a good chapter to close out the arc. we get to see some old characters got a final toast/party exclusive to the crew. I love the part where Ussop's face is the only one that got squashed by the cups.

But man, is Tashigi hot now or what... her curves are all filled out, and like marvelB already mentioned she could be mistaken as Robin's little sister [sans the hair color]. Vivi also got a little hotter, but she's still not up the level of elite three: Robin, Nami, and Califa. Makes me wonder how that girl from Ussop's island is doing now...
Old 2006-12-22, 00:14   Link #15
iKumdo
Chodan

Send a message via AIM to iKumdo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
No they are not, where in U.S. do you live in?

1 Gallon = 3.78 Liters

You can get 2 2-liters bottle of Cola for about $2.50 which would make them about the same as gasoline. [$2.30 per gallon in where I live] But Cola went on sale all the time, and you can get them for $1. And if you went with generic brand in Walmart, they cost about 80 cents for 2-L bottle......

Anyway, this is a good chapter to close out the arc. we get to see some old characters got a final toast/party exclusive to the crew. I love the part where Ussop's face is the only one that got squashed by the cups.

But man, is Tashigi hot now or what... her curves are all filled out, and like marvelB already mentioned she could be mistaken as Robin's little sister [sans the hair color]. Vivi also got a little hotter, but she's still not up the level of elite three: Robin, Nami, and Califa. Makes me wonder how that girl from Ussop's island is doing now...
Coke is still more expensive, even if it's a couple of cents. Just as coke goes on sale, gas price drops. This year, the cheapest gas I got was under $2 per gallon (like 1.99 ). This went on for couple of months then it rose again to 2.30ish. In the end though, coke is about the same price as gasoline, and often more expensive.

I havent been able to see any spoiler pics, very unfortunate.
Old 2006-12-22, 11:15   Link #16
DrFuko

Actually, I went to the grocery market and bought 50 2-liter bottles of Hill-Country Fair Cola for only $25 bucks. That comes up to about $1.10 a gallon.

/had a party.
//nice one too.
Old 2006-12-22, 11:56   Link #17
DrFuko

hmmmm, come to think of it.... if you were to pack up 40 barrels of this stuff, attach the Going Merry flying model wings....

You might just have a flying ship! Pretty fast one too. Should be able to outrun even the MAXIM arc. But that would take out a lot of fun from actually getting to places.
Old 2006-12-22, 18:47   Link #18
Climhazard
Funk Freed

I'll beat S_C_L-1 to this one, 'DON'T DOUBLE POST!'

anyway, i really hope they don't use it as an excuse to run away from every sticky situation they get into, i can't see Oda doing that though.
Old 2006-12-22, 20:51   Link #19
S_C_L-1

Quote:
I'll beat S_C_L-1 to this one, 'DON'T DOUBLE POST!'
hahaha, u know me too well
Old 2006-12-23, 21:15   Link #20
onepiecelover

Is it just me or does anyone else think that nohing happens in the new manga chapters of One Piece and I still do believe that they could have gotten a better name for the ship. But the part where Ussop returns to the crew was highly predictable but really emotional too
Closed Thread