Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-12-12, 20:06   Link #41
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
Well, sincerely, WoW isn't such a graphic-intense game. I can run WoW at minimum to medium settings in my laptop with 1.7GHZ and 256 RAM, with 32 dedicated to Video. I haven't been able to get to highly populated areas though, so that may become a problem.

I, myself, just bought two ATI video cards, one Radeon X800XT and one X1300PRO, two months ago, for my two machines. I have to say that I loved both, and that if you're planning on going AGP and looking for a medium-sized Video card, the X1300 is a pretty good choice. It's one of Radeon's newest models, has somewhat high clock speeds, OpenGL 2.0, Shader Model 3.0 and it's a DDR2 memory interface, and is priced around your budget.

Note also that AGPs are quickly becoming obsolete, and, from what I've read, in a couple of years everything will be PCIe, so this might be your last AGP card. ( This is what convinced myself to buy a X800). Try going for a good one, so it lasts longer for what you want and you don't have to get another AGP one in the future.

Anyway, here's a link with some X1300 AGPs. I've also heard that a NVIDIA 6800XT is also a good buy ( friend just got home with one this instant ).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...=X1300&Ntk=all

Good luck.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-12, 21:06   Link #42
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

What's a good card for those of us who do NOT game? The main things I do on the video side of things are video playback and fansubbing nowadays. And it's practically all I do with a Windows-based machine.

Thanks!

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-13, 18:50   Link #43
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Well I recently won an ebay auction for a radeon 9800pro, so hopefully with a RAM upgrade I'll be able to play games like WoW and UT2004 without too much trouble.

Also, I've recently grown intrested in geting Phantasy Star Universe since it has a seperate story mode that I can play for free and what seems like a more action based combat system (oxymoron? ). Would the 9800pro be enouph to handel that game?
Old 2006-12-13, 19:03   Link #44
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

yeah it works fine, thats what i have. but you may get slow down if your processor is real old and system bus is low. PSU can be a little glitchy at times since is a port of the ps2 version. you can play wow and UT without any problems.

if you dont play games, IRJ, just about any card is fine. running h264 is more about codecs and processor power than the graphics card. you might want a memory upgrade. there is a codec most people pay for, i dont remember what it was called.

i have decided on a x1600 pro PCI-E for my next card. price is good and seem to be decent. now for the new computer *cough*
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-14, 01:03   Link #45
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko View Post
Well I recently won an ebay auction for a radeon 9800pro
I hope it was because you got outbid on the 6600GT as opposed to a choice. Because you just got a slower card with much lousier driver support.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-15, 14:53   Link #46
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
What's a good card for those of us who do NOT game? The main things I do on the video side of things are video playback and fansubbing nowadays. And it's practically all I do with a Windows-based machine.

Thanks!

--Ian.
Well, if you WORK with fansubbing, then a low profile video card would probably be a great boost in your ability to work, but if it's only to watch and play videos, an integrated graphics card will work just fine, like Potato said up there.

If you're planning on buying a low profile one just to help out, you can look for Radeon 9250 - 9550's, Nvidia 5200's and others of the kind. There're also some cheap ones Nvidia makes that act as integrated graphics, but have their own GPU and processor separatedly, so their performance is slightly superior.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Old 2006-12-15, 16:14   Link #47
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere View Post
I hope it was because you got outbid on the 6600GT as opposed to a choice. Because you just got a slower card with much lousier driver support.

Yeah, well, I hesitated for far too long with that auction and someone was eventually able to outbid me before I could notice.
Old 2006-12-15, 18:50   Link #48
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Shinohara View Post
If you're planning on buying a low profile one just to help out, you can look for Radeon 9250 - 9550's, Nvidia 5200's and others of the kind. There're also some cheap ones Nvidia makes that act as integrated graphics, but have their own GPU and processor separatedly, so their performance is slightly superior.
Dumb question for those since those mainly are AGP chips, do they make them available for PCI-E systems? I use a 9550 on my Windows desktop and a GF FX5200 on my Linux desktop right now, both AGP, and both are great cards.

However, I'm planning on building a newer machine in the not-too-distant-but-distant-enough future, and very likely, I'll have to make the jump to PCI-E. I'd keep up with the tech, but money's been an issue lately (and even more so since I have to do an in-town move).

Thanks!

-Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 18:02   Link #49
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Quote:
Dumb question for those since those mainly are AGP chips, do they make them available for PCI-E systems? I use a 9550 on my Windows desktop and a GF FX5200 on my Linux desktop right now, both AGP, and both are great cards.

However, I'm planning on building a newer machine in the not-too-distant-but-distant-enough future, and very likely, I'll have to make the jump to PCI-E. I'd keep up with the tech, but money's been an issue lately (and even more so since I have to do an in-town move).

Thanks!

-Ian.
Well, I'm not really knowledgeable on NVidias, but I know that the newer Radeion GPUs come in both AGP and PCI-E. And yeah, everyone will eventually have to upgrade to PCIE, as it's probably the next level in high-speed gaming. I'm myself, thinkning about getting a new motherboard and a dual-core processor, but I'm not going to do it anytime soon because I just bought a X800GT a few months ago, and I don't wanna have to sell it at half price on Ebay.

Old 2006-12-22, 00:08   Link #50
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

K, got the card in the mail today. It looks really spiffy but came by itself without any connector cable or booklet (lol ebay). The most worrisome thing though is that when I try to put the card into the agp slot and turn my machine on, the damn thing starts beeping like a mama bird defending its young or something. Also, since this particular card doesn't have a VGA port, I can't tell wtf is going on screen. What could this mean?
Old 2006-12-22, 01:58   Link #51
durrem
[megaplay] *sparkles*

For a 9800 pro you need to plug a 4 pin power cable from the power supply into the front of the card, or it won't work.

Plug in here:
durrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-27, 22:23   Link #52
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

OK, installed the card today (finally) and for some reason I can't get my display pass 1024 x 768 without making half the stuff on my desktop go off screen. Also, I can't get a display bigger then the one I listed above in WoW for some reason. The Nvidia logo is still in the video display menu of the game and on my control panel, even though my new card is a Radeon. Also, I downloaded a few of the drivers that are found on ATI's website but that didn't really do much.
Old 2006-12-29, 16:57   Link #53
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

you were supposed to remove the nvidia drivers first before installing the radeon. you also might have needed to disable it if you had an onboard graphics card.

open up ati caltalyst control center. go to monitor options and click hide resolutions your monitor cannot display. see if that helps. if your monitor has an auto adjust button, press it.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 00:08   Link #54
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit View Post

open up ati caltalyst control center. go to monitor options and click hide resolutions your monitor cannot display. see if that helps.

What sub-menu would I go to in order to do that? Also, I had uninstalled the drivers for Nvidia before installing the new card, but the Nvidia logo is still in Control Panal as well as the video options menu whenever I boot up WoW