AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-05-18, 17:30   Link #161
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon

Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
...So anyway, I've always wondered what it'd be like to be a member of the opposite sex. I can't think of anything we take any more for granted than our gender. I was wondering what everyone percieved to be the 'easy' and 'difficult' parts of being a member of the opposite sex and if they're aware what they themselves take for granted that is gender specific - for example, behaviourisms, the reaction of others, and so on.

Sorry, that's terribly general, but perhaps someone will get what I mean.

SCC
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-25, 00:21   Link #162
junko
model bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dalton
hmmm... Is irony still in the dictionary or did it get scratched without me knowing it?
irony 3: incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected results

(this is the third definition listed in Webster's Seventh New Collegiate Dictionary, and the one most often referred to when the term is used)

Joe Dalton, I suggest you pick up a dictionary yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
i can understand wanting to protect women... but when men have to conform to women, there is a big fucking problem. white people aren't forced to be more like black people to end racism. europeons aren't forced to be like ethiopians to end unfair treatment. why the hell should women be allowed to insist we change to better them.
We're not asking you to conform to us; we simply ask for equal treatment, and rights everyone deserves. Granted, some feminists do want men to kowtow to women, but that is a different branch of feminism altogether. Sadly, though, that's what most people think of when they hear the term "feminist".

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy
...So anyway, I've always wondered what it'd be like to be a member of the opposite sex. I can't think of anything we take any more for granted than our gender. I was wondering what everyone percieved to be the 'easy' and 'difficult' parts of being a member of the opposite sex and if they're aware what they themselves take for granted that is gender specific - for example, behaviourisms, the reaction of others, and so on.
You're asking what each person finds difficult or easy in relation treatment received because of their gender? Hrm . . .

Last edited by junko; 2004-05-26 at 00:29.
junko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-24, 07:37   Link #163
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor View Post
is not that general, hyenas for example are a matriarchy, and among insects the female is usually the dominant. And you are WRONG, in elephants the female also rule.
Hyenas are a rather unique species among mammals, and it's hard to compare their social structure to other creatures because of their unique biology. (The females are the ones with the penises)

As for elephants, the males aren't even part of the social order once they reach maturity so it's debatable as to whether the females "rule" the males.
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-24, 16:31   Link #164
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv View Post
Hyenas are a rather unique species among mammals, and it's hard to compare their social structure to other creatures because of their unique biology. (The females are the ones with the penises)

As for elephants, the males aren't even part of the social order once they reach maturity so it's debatable as to whether the females "rule" the males.
This isn't quite true. Male hyenas have penises, too, and females just have psuedopenises, which is either a labia or clitoris or some fusion of the two. I can't remember. They do bear cubs through them, though.

As for elephants, only females stick together in long term groups (by long term I mean decades) and bull elephants roam as is common for many male animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneColdCrazy View Post

Sorry, that's terribly general, but perhaps someone will get what I mean.

SCC
In my experience, the only upside to being a woman is being better looking in general and having internal genitalia. Even those are rather double-edged swords, because there's even more emphasis on appearances and a shorter urethra means not being able to hold it when you have to go. And that's it for your serious discussion from Veritas.

Last edited by Veritas; 2006-12-24 at 16:53.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-24, 20:20   Link #165
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Hmmm, I remember a thread about emancipation before the boardhack

To prevent another 3-page rant, my anything-but-politically-correct opinion was:

"I only see women women complaining about not getting High-paid/status jobs,
but how many men have been doing low paid heavy physical labour for years?
If they want to be equal, let them wear out their backs unloading cargo, or work
in construction,...
Guys that are unqualified for Higher positions need to take any job that earns a living,
women claim that -no matter how unqualified- they are entitled to
those high positions"
Old 2006-12-24, 23:56   Link #166
ps3mania
piyo, pipipiyo, piyo.

well, there is always going to be sexcism, as there will always be racism.
ps3mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 20:00   Link #167
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
There's no such a thing as equality b/t men and womens. It my be obliged that ppl listen to each other but in the work place, this is ignored while the traditional role of each sex is used to it's potential.

So in my opinion, there's no truth about equality between males and females. We act like there is a difference but in truth there's not. Is the law fair, of course not. It has it's loop holes.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 12:09   Link #168
St.Hound
Blood-stained Glory

I think that it maybe isn't so much who makes more these days but who does the hiring for such things. Some that are more future realistic more than traditionalist are often more likely to hire anyone at a fair rate. I worked in a grocery store and noticed something. All the girls/women made more than all the men/boys there but this was just one instance yet none the less a valid one. I am not saying that this shows mass change but the premise that it may not be the field or sex. But the person that does the hiring too that plays privy in most regards...
St.Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 17:11   Link #169
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sin_ View Post
What do you think? Do men and women really have equal rights in our - oh so modern - society, or is equality just an illusion?

I for my part think that women *do* have equal rights on the paper, but it is the bad execution of the laws which provide women equal rights that makes it appear as if they don't have such rights. Example: Women earn less money than men for equal work (approximately 20% less).
Who is at fault? Men for oppressing women? Women for not using their opportunities? The evil society?^^

Well, I'm eager to read what you have to say^^
The avg women live longer then the avg men.

The avg women will have a lower auto and life insurance rate thent he avg men.

So no, there is no equality.
Old 2006-12-29, 19:14   Link #170
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

People should be judged on their merit and accompalishment alone regardless of gender race and orientation

ie Men and Women are equal . Standard for judging a person should be accompalsihments rather than gender alone
Old 2006-12-29, 20:18   Link #171
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
People should be judged on their merit and accompalishment alone regardless of gender race and orientation

ie Men and Women are equal . Standard for judging a person should be accompalsihments rather than gender alone
Not really. Women should be treated with the highest esteem as they are the bearers of our children. They are the essence of compassion, strength and love. They should be regarded higher than the male.

Women are mentally stronger in all known emotions. Whether it is coping, expressing, teaching, or even hiding them. All emotions!

They need less protection than a lion though they must be protected. Weird init?

Wow, looking at my post I would be easily strung-up by feminist. lol

But feminists are crazy!
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-30, 19:21   Link #172
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Not really. Women should be treated with the highest esteem as they are the bearers of our children.
ie: any that don't want yours can be used as dirt

Quote:
They are the essence of compassion, strength and love. They should be regarded higher than the male.
"Hell hath no fury, like a woman scorned"

Quote:
Women are mentally stronger in all known emotions. Whether it is coping, expressing, teaching, or even hiding them. All emotions!
So strong they
-don't shut up about them
-want us to be some sobbing blabbering sniffnose as well and get pissed off if we don't give a crap

-

Old 2007-07-07, 22:42   Link #173
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Not really. Women should be treated with the highest esteem as they are the bearers of our children. They are the essence of compassion, strength and love. They should be regarded higher than the male.

They need less protection than a lion though they must be protected. Weird init?
I agree.

However, I'd like to be bold enough to say that most women should go back to the kitchen already. At least they should WANT to.

<Redundant comment removed>.
Old 2007-07-07, 23:24   Link #174
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Nonsense. Women shouldn't be revered for their gender any more than men should. I just say try not to let any biological (and therefore uncontrollable) traits factor into your dealings with people.
Old 2007-07-07, 23:28   Link #175
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Nonsense. Women shouldn't be revered for their gender any more than men should. I just say try not to let any biological (and therefore uncontrollable) traits factor into your dealings with people.
Why not? What's so bad about biological traits?
Old 2007-07-07, 23:30   Link #176
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
That, my friend, is extremely chauvinist. They don't need any more protection than males.

Quote:
However, I'd like to be bold enough to say that most women should go back to the kitchen already. At least they should WANT to.
If I were a woman, I'd feel truly offended by that statement.

At any rate, I agree with Veritas. The simplest and less morally questionable position: there's no difference. Feminism and chauvinism are both equally wrong positions. Chauvinists tend to irk me more often than feminists, though; mainly due to the fact that women have been lowly regarded throughout centuries.

Quote:
Why not? What's so bad about biological traits?
Biological traits get in the way of the correct judgment of a person. Because the person him/herself didn't choose those traits, so they should not be judged or have their approach at other people conditioned by them. Judgment by biological traits is the basis of racism.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 23:35   Link #177
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I'll say the same as I stated much ago. There is some equality b/t them both, but i've yet to see true equality. Where I work, I work with 90% womens and I feel perfectly fine and comfortable. Everyone's friendly ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-07, 23:41   Link #178
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
That, my friend, is extremely chauvinist. They don't need any more protection than males.
Quote:
If I were a woman, I'd feel truly offended by that statement.
If you were an illogical, feminazi bitch, you would.

But I also say that men should get back to being responsible, working father figures as well.

Quote:
Biological traits get in the way of the correct judgment of a person, because the person him/herself didn't choose those traits, so they should not be judged or have their approach at other people conditioned by them.
The correct judgment of people shouldn't IGNORE biological traits.

And I strongly disagree with, and in fact pretty insulted by the idea of people not being judged or conditioned by their gender. The world is just becoming a sloppy mess of indecency because of the lack of morals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
I'll say the same as I stated much ago. There is some equality b/t them both, but i've yet to see true equality. Where I work, I work with 90% womens and I feel perfectly fine and comfortable. Everyone's friendly ^_^
It shouldn't be like that. unless you're working with a bunch of nurses or something.
Old 2007-07-08, 00:08   Link #179
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
My gosh, I've never been so overwhelmed by a thread before. I have a feeling I'm going to regret posting, mainly because there are people here who believe I should be in the kitchen cooking or something.... I can't get over how offensive that is, it just makes me laugh, I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer View Post
Well.. I'm only slightly offended (I might've been completely offended, but... ah, I can't say why as it'd be insulting, I think), but I can confidently say that I'm not an "illogical, femnazi bitch", nor does WanderingKnight strike me as one either.

Quote:
And I strongly disagree with, and in fact pretty insulted by the idea of people not being judged or conditioned by their gender. The world is just becoming a sloppy mess of indecency because of the lack of morals.

It shouldn't be like that. unless you're working with a bunch of nurses or something.
1. There are many male nurses... I know you don't mind being insulting to women, but don't insult men just because they have a career which you believe should be dominated by women. (Ah, that reminds me of Meet The Parents. Funny movie.)

2. "insulted by the idea of people not being judged or conditioned by their gender"... You have no idea how hard I'm laughing now, or even why I'm laughing right? I'd just hate it if I were judged by people just because I'm a female...
Risaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 00:13   Link #180
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Nope. Saying that women should go back to the kitchen is extremely chauvinist, and there's not a damn way out of it. I, as a man, feel quite offended, too.

Quote:
But I also say that men should get back to being responsible, working father figures as well.
Define "responsible, working father figures". Now, put it in the context of a lesbian couple with adopted children. Watch your social standards fall to pieces. And I celebrate that fall

Quote:
What the hell does gender have to do with morals? Morals have absolutely nothing to do with social standardization based on gender. Morals are about not harming other human beings, not about how males or females should specifically act in the context of their gender.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote