AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-27, 19:35   Link #1
Lett

What gundams should I watch?

I looked at the sticky on what gundams were available, but that's just too much information for me. Can someone break it down and tell me which gundams that are good/watch?
Old 2006-12-27, 19:36   Link #2
Lett

I haven't watched any gundams by the way.
Old 2006-12-27, 19:56   Link #3
monster

Then just try one, it doesn't really matter.

For an easy start, just try either Gundam X or Turn A Gundam. They're both available on the Animesuki site. And they're both pretty good in my opinion.

Of course, if you want to start with either the UC or CE universe, it's better (though not necessary, especially for UC) to start with the first series in the respective universe.
Old 2006-12-27, 19:59   Link #4
sx3
0 Gundam

UC Universe:
Mobile Suit Gundam(watch if you dont know characters)
Zeta Gundam
Chars Counter Attack(Watch aftery ou get a feel for UC)

CE Universe:
Gundam Seed(Uh i dont think you should watch destiny but if you wanna see what happens after go ahead)
Stargazer

Other:
Gundam Wing
Gundam Wing Endless Waltz(movie)

Turn A(i havnt watched this but ive head a lot of good reviews)

Im probalby missing soem others but im to lazy to think =)
Old 2006-12-27, 20:31   Link #5
Lett

Thanks.

I'm guessing the universes don't correlate with each other?
Old 2006-12-27, 20:35   Link #6
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lett View Post
Thanks.

I'm guessing the universes don't correlate with each other?
Not really.
Old 2006-12-27, 20:53   Link #7
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Gundam SEED is probably the most convenient one for you to start on since it's a throwback to the original series, but it's got modern animation. The old animation of the four Universal Century TV series is a turn off for most new fans. SEED will probably be the easiest for you to find too.

If you want to check out Universal Century just to see what it's like, go with the movie versions of First and Zeta.
Old 2006-12-27, 21:25   Link #8
Lett

I think I'll watch

Gundam Wing
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny..
Old 2006-12-27, 21:30   Link #9
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

X is always a good start, but because of the newtype stuff I think you should watch UC ones first. Obviously wing, and CE universe is good for newcomer to gundam. Of course you could always watch G, but it might be little weird.
Old 2006-12-28, 00:12   Link #10
Gundam Zero Force

The first thing I saw was Gundam Wing . . . I think it was a good start to my Gundam Collection . . . now for Seed . . lol
Old 2006-12-28, 01:46   Link #11
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
I think I'll watch

Gundam Wing
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny..
"Swish!!!" - Gunpla Gundam Model executive xD

Hehe...Those titles should start you off fine and when it gets too crazily unrealistic for you you can fall back on the older series watching the UC in order or watching a non UC of interest to you...I always say watch what calls to you first and foremost...Your personality will dictate if you want to watch some of the more classic titles that made this franchise what it is....
Old 2006-12-28, 01:58   Link #12
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

I recommend watching the older UC shows first, since if you watch something like SEED or SEED-D first, you will get turned off by the animation and maybe miss out on the actual story (at least I almost did when CN went from WIng -> MSG)
Old 2006-12-28, 02:11   Link #13
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

Actually, they're putting biased opinions based on what they think... on a personal standpoint... The best thing to do when faced with that question is to really ask yourself what you really want.

@SNT: please, just let him pick.... Can you please give him a chance to pick!?

Asking for the personal opinion of others will definitely answer your question... but is it what you truly like?

Try reading synopses from each of the stories. Then you yourself evaluate what you should watch. Asking here in the Animesuki Gundam forum will just generate some biased posts whether it is CE, UC, or AC... Really, it's just how it works here. Fanbases are locked up instead of understanding each other.
Old 2006-12-28, 04:29   Link #14
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
Then just try one, it doesn't really matter.

For an easy start, just try either Gundam X or Turn A Gundam. They're both available on the Animesuki site. And they're both pretty good in my opinion.

Of course, if you want to start with either the UC or CE universe, it's better (though not necessary, especially for UC) to start with the first series in the respective universe.
:O

I don't know about those suggestions.

Gundam X was cancelled after all, in Japan.
And Turn A Gundam is just... very unconventional and really requires for you to know a BIT about the Gundam universe to even appreciate the mecha design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1 View Post
I recommend watching the older UC shows first, since if you watch something like SEED or SEED-D first, you will get turned off by the animation and maybe miss out on the actual story (at least I almost did when CN went from WIng -> MSG)
Funny you should say that, because uh... the older UC series don't exactly have state of the art animation. If you're talking about the character design... yes, SEED's character art is very undistinguishing, but frankly, that's just the wrong reason to turn down a show. Someone's bound to hate ol' Amuro "Afroboy" Rei more than Kira "Take my hair away and I look like every other character" Yamato on basis of art. Well, maybe.

My picks for how to get started with a Gundam obsession...

1. Gundam 0079 Movie Trilogy: An absolute must. It's Gundam 0079 in a nutshell, but still highly entertaining. While it skimps out on a lot of plot details, you'll definitely get a feel for the Gundam series by watching this old gem. Of course, it'll be the first time you're introduced to several Gundam archetypes, like the innocent bystander turned secret weapon, the masked blonde man, the falling space colonies, and the creation of a superweapon that could wipe out a full fleet.

2. Gundam Wing: While the story is incredibly cheesy and unrealistic (even by anime standards), the memorable mecha and character design make it a must for Gundam fans to view. It's definitely one of the important "gateway anime" along with Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon.

3. Gundam 08th MS Team: After you've gotten through the cheesy and unrealistic Wing, you should check out 08th MS Team for a sobering look at NOT being the hero in a war. This series follows an average team during the events of Gundam 0079... and shows just how painful and NOT heroic being a Gundam pilot can be.

4. Gundam SEED: Drama, drama, drama! Being the newest series, you can definitely expect to be treated with the latest evolution of all the Gundam archetypes, as well as exquisitely designed mecha. Everything about SEED is memorable, despite it not being all that original. After the subtlety of 08th MS Team, you may enjoy the wah-wah-wah emo crying of Kira and Athrun = )

5. All the other Gundam series: especially the ones set in the UC universe. I've not seen it myself, but Z Gundam seems to be a fairly popular choice. V Gundam has some of the stuff that inspired SEED, it seems. Stay away from G Gundam (my opinion only); it's Street Fighter with mecha. Well, maybe Mortal Kombat with mecha.

These are all my opinions. I have no preference for whatever "universe" the Gundam is from. Personally, I'd think UC to be the most expansive set (since it does span several series and several wars involving different characters), but don't discredit the alternate universes, as they provide their own flavor of classic Gundam storytelling!
Old 2006-12-28, 06:12   Link #15
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papaya View Post
Gundam X was cancelled after all, in Japan.
That's why I said in my opinion. Obviously not everyone would agree, but that doesn't mean you can't give it a chance and see for yourself whether you like it or not.
Quote:
And Turn A Gundam is just... very unconventional and really requires for you to know a BIT about the Gundam universe to even appreciate the mecha design.
It might not be unconventional to someone new to Gundam (it certainly wasn't for me even though I've seen other gundam shows before watching it). And I think it'd be good for someone to watch Turn A without any preconceived idea of what a gundam show should/shouldn't be and just take it all in as it is. (Same goes for G Gundam)
Old 2006-12-28, 06:35   Link #16
Kasiro

I'd recommend watching Wing first, then Seed.
Wing has a good story and the animation isn't bad.
Seeds story is worse, but the animation is really good.
I wouldn't watch X if I were you, the story and stuff might be real good, but the animation is REALLY poor, as in: OMG WTF HAPPENED... I even fast forwarded to see if it really was Gundam, or some stupid prank...too bad it wasn't one...
Old 2006-12-28, 12:23   Link #17
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert View Post
That's why I said in my opinion. Obviously not everyone would agree, but that doesn't mean you can't give it a chance and see for yourself whether you like it or not. It might not be unconventional to someone new to Gundam (it certainly wasn't for me even though I've seen other gundam shows before watching it). And I think it'd be good for someone to watch Turn A without any preconceived idea of what a gundam show should/shouldn't be and just take it all in as it is. (Same goes for G Gundam)
Well, the reason I suggest against G Gundam or Turn A Gundam as a starter is that they aren't representative of the Gundam series in general.

Someone who watches G Gundam first may come under the impression that Gundam is all about one-on-one brawls, and someone who watches Turn A may quite quickly be put off by the very unorthodox mecha design.
Old 2006-12-28, 20:36   Link #18
ang89
Anime lover

Well, I think u shld watch Gundam Seed 1st, since its mainly very similar to the previous gundam shows and it has better animation than its precessors. However, i strongly recommend to not watch the squeal Gundam Seed Destiny, since it IMO totally destroy the CE universe. But if u wan u can watch, juz watch it for the 1st ffew ep.

Well, this is my 2 cents worth.
Old 2006-12-29, 01:37   Link #19
JerseyDevil
Eating cattle since 1735

Quote:
I think I'll watch

Gundam Wing
Gundam Seed
Gundam Seed Destiny..
Yikes! Unless you were planning on starting from the bottom up, then maybe you should reconsider. I saw both Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed, and, after watching Seed, couldn't muster up the tolerance to endure Destiny as well.

I thought Seed was pretty horrible, but when I first saw Wing (almost a decade ago? Man, I suddenly feel old), I enjoyed it. The whole thing was pretty corny and melodramatic, and the action wasn't that much to scream about either. It managed to burn some time for me back then, but I don't think I'd ever sit through it again.

My favorite would have to be MS 08th Team. It's a stark contrast from the usual Gundam series, and really packs an emotional punch. The action is also top-notch, if that's your main concern.

I'd recommend Gundam X, Zeta, Victory, and pretty much any other Gundam series before the one's you mentioned. But like what some people have already said, it sorta depends on your taste, I suppose.
Old 2006-12-29, 02:44   Link #20
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

For a newcommer....

Gundam SEED is the way to go imo. In my book it is one of the best Gundam shows, and the animation is quite better compared to the previous ones.

If you liked it, then go watch Destiny... despite its many flaws it sstill managed to entertain me far more than Wing ever could hope.

I gues Wing is also a good place to start, but the animation won't be nearly as good as it is in GS/GSD, and i founf the story cheesy and not particulary interesting.