AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-07, 17:01   Link #1
Humgachan

Recommandation for Romance + Action/Mystery/Historical/Comedy etc.

Hi! I've been a fan of animes for a long period of time and am currently trying to find out if I'd missed out any master piece/decent ones out there. All your help is greatly appreciated!

Type of anime I'm interested in....
-{I'm flexible with any type of genre (except for sport) as long as it contain some sort of romance element in it and by that I mean that there'll be a love (Dating) relationship developing within the plot for the leading character. Something along thoes line is fine with me.
-{Oh yea, about the magic genre..........as long as they'r not super cheesy like Sailor Moon, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Pure, Ultra Maniac, you know.....the typical magical girl/transforming stuff won't do (I apologize if I've offended any of the Magical Girl fan out there ). However, I do appreciated anime that contain some sort of magic element similiar to Maburaho, Zero no Tsukaima, ones that's in the line of Harry Potter/Final Fantasy cool looking spells element (eye candy) .

Type of anime I dislikes....
-{The ones without any love relationship developing within the entire plot and thoes with one sided genre (as in only contain one type), this include the romance genre as well. IMO, having some type of romance involve in a serie create attachment/interest with the plot but not too much of it.
-{Also, anime involve with the romance + slice of life genre..........it's acceptable only if they're not extremely plain. Examples of these type are: Lamune, To Heart (all seasons). I understand that some people find it relaxing viewing these type of genre and for me.......I either drop the serie cause it's making me fall asleep or just skip to the important points. Avoidance is a top priorty for this type of genre. Once again, no offense in any possible way .
-{No reverse heram please or any abnormal relationship such as Shounen/Shoujo AI, incest (as long as they'r not blood related).
-{Anime that's mainly ecchi (busty breast characters)/harem with randomness/little plot involve such as Amaenaideyo, Hand Maid May, He is My Master. I do acknowledge that about 60%-70% of the harem anime consist little or no plot. That's why I'm not truly a big fan of harems. For the ecchi.......I'd rather go Live Action on that . Animation just won't do for this one.
-{I know this one seems difficult to avoid but it'll be great if it can be done; immature male lead, the guy blush and say unnecessary things when they touch hands or something physical happens of any sort, acts like complete idiots. A few great male lead I could think of atm is the one in Konan (2006), Gift: Eternal Rainbow (it did occur but not a lot). Just nothing irratioinal is all I ask for.
-{Lastly, anime where the leading character disguise/evolve into their opposite gender must be avoided.

Graphic/animation wise.....
-{Nothing below the year of 2000 is a good way to start (no classics please).
-{Decent animation/drawing. Just so that it's not drawn in a abnormal fashion (to my taste) and here are some examples of the ones I dislike due to the graphical element; Kanon (2003), Bokura ga Ita, Kamisama Kazoku. The plot were great but the drawing bothers me a lot.

Episode/Length of the serie.....
-{All type are appreciated (OVA/Movie/TV). Length of the serie does not matter, would be nice if it's between 12-26 episodes.

Fansub/Dub.....
-{Please recommand animes that has fansub (English). Japanese is a great language, especially for animes. Unfortunately, I don't consist the time to learn it. Thus I won't even bother watching any that's not subed. From my pass experience, almost 80% of the dub is horrible. Like how Naruto suddenly turn into a nerd and sometimes the interpretation is off. Exception occurs if it's similiar to the dub in Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu.

ANIME ONLY PLEASE, NO MANGA/LIVE ACTION

UNLCENSED OR LICENSED DOES NOT MATTER

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anime already seen/currently watching
Below is a list of anime I've seen over the pass years/currently watching. It'll be on a grading system of a 1-5 scale with the "*" symbol or the ones I gave up on. This system is based on my own opinion/taste ONLY. I apologize if one of your favorite anime is dropped/low-rated (for thoes that cares ).

Ongoing series
Bleach--|Dropped|
Busou Renkin--|**|
Code Geass--|****|
Inukami!--|*****|
Kanon (2006)--|*****|
Naruto--|Dropped|
One Piece--|Dropped|
Shounen Onmyouji--|*****|
Sumomo mo momo mo--|***|
Tokimeki Memorial ~Only Love~--|**|

Completed series
Ah! My Goddess (All seasons)--|****|
Ai yori Aoshi (All seasons)--|****|
Air (Movie/TV)--|***|
Amaenaideyo (All Seasons)--|**|
Bokura ga Ita--|Dropped|
Boys Be--|***|
Canvas (All seasons)--|***|
Chobits--|****|
Chrno Crusade--|***|
Da Capo (All seasons)--|***|
D.N. Angel--|***|
Elfen Lied--|*****|
Erementar Gerad--|****|
Eureka 7--|*****|
Fate/Stay Night--|*****|
Final Approach--|****|
Full Metal Panic (All seasons/OVAs)--|*****|
Full Moon wo Sagashite--|**|
Fullmetal Alchemist--|***|
Futakoi--|Dropped|
Futakoi Alternative--|****|
Fruits Basket--|****|
Girls Bravo (All seasons)--|**|
Green Green--|**|
Gundam (All seasons/OVA)--|***|
Gunparade March--|****|
Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite--|**|
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora--|****|
Hand Maid May--|**|
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni--|****|
Honey & Clover (All seasons)--|***|
I``s Pure--|**|
Ichigo 100%--|***|
Inuyasha (TV/Movies)--|****|
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu--|****|
Izumo: Takeki Tsurugi no Senki--|**|
Kage Kara Mamoru!--|Dropped|
Kakyuusei (All seasons)--|***|
Kamisama Kazoku--|***|
Kanon (2003)--|***|
Karin--|***|
Kashimashi--|Dropped|
Kemonozume--|**|
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien--|*****|
Koi Kaze--|Dropped|
Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai--|*****|
Lamune--|**|
Love Hina (TV/OVA)--|***|
Maburaho--|*****|
Magikano--|****|
Mahoromatic (All seasons/OVA)--|*****|
Maria-sama ga Miteru--|Dropped|
Midori no Hibi--|****|
Monster--|**|
Natsuiro no Sunadokei--|****|
Okusama wa Joshikousei--|Dropped|
Onegai Teacher--|*****|
Onegai Twins--|***|
Ouran Host Club--|Dropped|
Paradise Kiss--|***|
Pretear--|**|
Princess Tutu--|Dropped|
RahXephon--|*****|
Rec--|**|
Rozen Maiden (All seasons/OVA)--|Dropped|
Rurouni Kenshin--|****|
Saishuuheiki Kanojo--|***|
School Rumble (All seasons/OVA)--|*****|
Seikai no Senki (All seasons/OVA)--|****|
Shakugan no Shana--|****|
Shingetsutan Tsukihime-|*****|
Shuffle!--|***|
Sister Princess--|Dropped|
Soul Link--|Dropped|
Suzuka-|****|
Suzumiya Haruhi--|*****|
Tenshi no Shippo--|Dropped|
Trigun--|*****|
Tsuki wa Higashi ni Hi wa Nishi ni: Operation Sanctuary--|****|
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase--|****|
Tsuyokiss Cool x Sweet--|***|
Vandread (All seasons)--|****|
UFO Princess Valkyrie (All seasons)--|*|
Ultra Maniac--|**|
Utawarerumono--|*****|
Wind: a breath of heart--|***|
Zero no Tsukaima--|****|

Thank you for everyone that read/assist/reply with my request. I tried my best to limit the amount of text used to keep everything in a organized/legitable/understandable format. Hopefully it won't give anyone a headache trying to view this post .

Last edited by Humgachan; 2007-01-09 at 16:37. Reason: Updating List
Old 2007-01-07, 17:29   Link #2
jedinat

I don't see Trigun up there. While it did air a bit before 2000, the animation is plenty good. As to a pairing... well, it's there but it's on the subtle side, but still, enough for me to be satisfied. Most notable imho is the lack of immature male lead. Vash is great.

There's also Elfen Lied which is worth a watch... alot of action and romance elements.

Midori no Hibi's a good one for comedy/romance.
Old 2007-01-07, 18:05   Link #3
MamoruUsagi

Fushigi Yuugi

Fushigi Yugi the manga is much longer than the anime. The manga has more kissing, more sex. It is a classic romance/fantasy series with a couple that is dating and in a relationship. The manga shows a lot more, it goes into after the engagement and first wedding. Great series.

Ayashi no Ceres

Ceres manga is much longer than the anime, classic romance/fantasy manga.

Bokura ga Ita

Realistic romance series

Marmalade Boy

Realistic romance series

Sailor Moon

Great romance/fantasy

Happy Hustle High

Great romance/comedy

Mars

Serious romance/drama

Kodocha

Manga version only

Paradise Kiss

Kare Kano

Boys Over Flowers

Manga version only

Peach Girl

Manga version

Kare First Love

Hot Gimmick

Akuma De Sourou

Kaikan Phrase
Old 2007-01-07, 18:17   Link #4
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I second Elfen Lied.

Fruits Basket - a good mix of almost everything
Erementar Gerad - romance/fantasy/adventure.... the romance here is good, and you can truly see the relationship between the main "couple" develop.
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase - has comedy, has drama, has romance - i gues it should do *shrugs*
Old 2007-01-07, 19:05   Link #5
Humgachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I second Elfen Lied.

Fruits Basket - a good mix of almost everything
Erementar Gerad - romance/fantasy/adventure.... the romance here is good, and you can truly see the relationship between the main "couple" develop.
Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase - has comedy, has drama, has romance - i gues it should do *shrugs*
Thanks for the recommandation. Unfortunately, I've already seen thoes serie. This is what happen when you create a post/list in a hurry . I will update my list gradually (as of now) and see which serie(s) I missed out in addition to my list. Btw, fruist basket was pretty great. Even though it's on slice-of-life routine, something about that anime kept me interested in moving on to the next episodes....maybe the comedy .
Same goes with Elfen Lied. At first I though it was a plain ecchi/hentai serie from viewing the first episode . Luckily I followed my "watch 20% of the plot, before you drop" rule .
For Erementar Gerad.....I seriously don't know why it's so under-rated. Maybe because the leading character have the same "scene" casted repeatidly when they combine. Other than that this anime should be one of the top.
Lastly, Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase............two words "Cute & refreshing" .

Last edited by Humgachan; 2007-01-07 at 19:45.
Old 2007-01-07, 19:14   Link #6
Humgachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I don't see Trigun up there. While it did air a bit before 2000, the animation is plenty good. As to a pairing... well, it's there but it's on the subtle side, but still, enough for me to be satisfied. Most notable imho is the lack of immature male lead. Vash is great.

There's also Elfen Lied which is worth a watch... alot of action and romance elements.

Midori no Hibi's a good one for comedy/romance.
Thanks for the suggestions but I've already seen thoes. Trigun is a master piece IMO. This was the one and only anime that motivate me to do some rerun on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamoruUsagi View Post
Fushigi Yuugi

Fushigi Yugi the manga is much longer than the anime. The manga has more kissing, more sex. It is a classic romance/fantasy series with a couple that is dating and in a relationship. The manga shows a lot more, it goes into after the engagement and first wedding. Great series.

Ayashi no Ceres

Ceres manga is much longer than the anime, classic romance/fantasy manga.

Bokura ga Ita

Realistic romance series

Marmalade Boy

Realistic romance series

Sailor Moon

Great romance/fantasy

Happy Hustle High

Great romance/comedy

Mars

Serious romance/drama

Kodocha

Manga version only

Paradise Kiss

Kare Kano

Boys Over Flowers

Manga version only

Peach Girl

Manga version

Kare First Love

Hot Gimmick

Akuma De Sourou

Kaikan Phrase
.......Thanks! Think I should just leave it as that. I knew better to just keep it simple from my previous experience of roaming the suggestion forum.....you weren't entitled "Princess" for nothing .
Old 2007-01-08, 06:19   Link #7
Humgachan

While searching around, I found this anime called Stellvia of the Universe. Would anyone think that this anime matches my description/request?
Old 2007-01-08, 07:30   Link #8
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humgachan View Post
While searching around, I found this anime called Stellvia of the Universe. Would anyone think that this anime matches my description/request?
I quite liked the anime, and as far as I remember it fits within the boundaries of your request. I gave it a 9/10
Old 2007-01-08, 10:25   Link #9
Skallen
zugaikotsu

Send a message via ICQ to Skallen Send a message via MSN to Skallen
Some ideas, though your conditions where kinda strict

Vandread- 3 Males on a spaceship filled with girls, action/harem

Gunparade March - Mech anime ending up as romance or something like that

Mai Hime - Mostly action but there's some romance in the story as well.

Magikano - Harem/comedy

And you should definitely check out Stellvia

Though beware, my avatar is from Ultra Maniac
Old 2007-01-08, 17:02   Link #10
Humgachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I quite liked the anime, and as far as I remember it fits within the boundaries of your request. I gave it a 9/10
Thanks for the reply. I'll give Stellvia a try. Hopefully it won't give any disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skallen View Post
Some ideas, though your conditions where kinda strict

Vandread- 3 Males on a spaceship filled with girls, action/harem

Gunparade March - Mech anime ending up as romance or something like that

Mai Hime - Mostly action but there's some romance in the story as well.

Magikano - Harem/comedy

And you should definitely check out Stellvia

Though beware, my avatar is from Ultra Maniac
Thanks for the recommandations. I've already seen thoes except for Mai Hime.
The story line in Vandread was quite interesting since the genders were alienated.
Although the plot in Gunparade March were great and sometimes dramatic..........Mai was kinda scary in some ways. At first I though she was a male . I guess they drawn/voice acted that way to fit her personality.
Magikano was all out comedy. Even though sometimes it gets ridiculously stupid, it was worth while watching .

Mai Hime......I'll give that one a try. Correct me if I'm wrong but does Mai Otome contains somewhat shoujo-ai elements? At least that's what I heard. Maybe this was the reason why I held back on Mai Hime back then.
Old 2007-01-08, 18:51   Link #11
death03

one of the female characters is interested on another female character but thats about it, give it a try, this anime was release before Mai Otome
Old 2007-01-08, 19:10   Link #12
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
well if you like mystery theres this current series called: Ghost Hunt ~ it will scare your ass off! (somewat )

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-08, 20:52   Link #13
Humgachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by death03 View Post
one of the female characters is interested on another female character but thats about it, give it a try, this anime was release before Mai Otome
Oh I see. Is Mai Otome all action based? Plus both of the season are female lead ,correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
well if you like mystery theres this current series called: Ghost Hunt ~ it will scare your ass off! (somewat )
Thanks, I'm gonna wait untill more are released/sub before starting on that one.
Old 2007-01-08, 22:30   Link #14
Duckinator

Haha. Just wanna say that you and I have similar preference in Animes =] I mean I too want Animes that have a touch of romance in it =]

Anyway, I'm watching The Third - Aoi Hitomi no Shōjo atm. It seems similar to Shakugan no Shana lol.

1. Shana wields a sword. - Honoka wields a sword.
2. Alastor = Guardian-like guy in a pendant - Bogie = Guardian-like guy in a machine
3. Yuji = Love interest - Ikus = Possible love interest (Only watched 16/24 atm)
4. Shana = Blazing Eyes - Honoka = Azure Eyes

WTF haha =]

I'll let you know whether it a suitable series. As of now, the romance have not developed yet, though there were hints of them in the starting episodes. Well, 8 more episodes left, and I'll tell you later =]

[Edit] I too prefer Onegai Teacher to Onegai Twins AHAHAHAHA!
Old 2007-01-09, 05:00   Link #15
Duckinator

Oh well, I have just finished watching the Third. Unfortunately, there isn't MUCH romance between the leads. In fact, theres hardly any. No kiss etc. Best would be just a hug at the last episode. So I would not recommend it for you. Man, no romance is such a let down T_T

But overall, its pretty decent. However, there isn't a main plot. No main antagonist etc. There isn't much closure too. It is more of character development or something like that. Hopefully, there would be an OVA or something. If I have to rate it, I'd say 3.8/5. =]

Good luck in your search =]
Old 2007-01-09, 11:43   Link #16
death03

i haven't seen mai-otome yet, but Mai-hime is really great it also has action(a lot of fights) and romance
i didn't seen dears in your list try it its good and didnt see Chobits either . also try Eureka 7, Tonagura, karin, Girls Bravo S1&2, Amaenaideyo, Amaenaideyo katsu, Hand Maid May, Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sek, Hanbun No Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, speed grapher
Old 2007-01-09, 16:17   Link #17
Humgachan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckinator View Post
Haha. Just wanna say that you and I have similar preference in Animes =] I mean I too want Animes that have a touch of romance in it =]

Anyway, I'm watching The Third - Aoi Hitomi no Shōjo atm. It seems similar to Shakugan no Shana lol.

1. Shana wields a sword. - Honoka wields a sword.
2. Alastor = Guardian-like guy in a pendant - Bogie = Guardian-like guy in a machine
3. Yuji = Love interest - Ikus = Possible love interest (Only watched 16/24 atm)
4. Shana = Blazing Eyes - Honoka = Azure Eyes

WTF haha =]

I'll let you know whether it a suitable series. As of now, the romance have not developed yet, though there were hints of them in the starting episodes. Well, 8 more episodes left, and I'll tell you later =]

[Edit] I too prefer Onegai Teacher to Onegai Twins AHAHAHAHA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckinator View Post
Oh well, I have just finished watching the Third. Unfortunately, there isn't MUCH romance between the leads. In fact, theres hardly any. No kiss etc. Best would be just a hug at the last episode. So I would not recommend it for you. Man, no romance is such a let down T_T

But overall, its pretty decent. However, there isn't a main plot. No main antagonist etc. There isn't much closure too. It is more of character development or something like that. Hopefully, there would be an OVA or something. If I have to rate it, I'd say 3.8/5. =]

Good luck in your search =]
Hehe, great to hear that there's someone out there with similiar interest. I've started watching The Third before I made this post. Didn't put it up there since I took a long break from the serie. Got up to ep. 17 and just couldn't go on further. Although I didn't plan on dropping it since the animation/story was well created (IMO). Saving it for later when I got nothing else to watch.

Currently working on Stellvia of the Universe. No disappointments plus it matches majority of my criteria so far (up to ep. 15 now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by death03 View Post
i haven't seen mai-otome yet, but Mai-hime is really great it also has action(a lot of fights) and romance
i didn't seen dears in your list try it its good and didnt see Chobits either . also try Eureka 7, Tonagura, karin, Girls Bravo S1&2, Amaenaideyo, Amaenaideyo katsu, Hand Maid May, Hanaukyo Maid Team La Verite, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sek, Hanbun No Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, speed grapher
Thanks for the reply/suggestions. Been busy lately so I didn't have time to update my list from where I left off. From looking at some of thoes titles.......I suddenly remember that there's one more element I dislike.
Closed Thread