Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-26, 22:07   Link #1
ClassicDrogn
Raving Mechafreak

Daphne In The Brilliant Blue 1&2 impressions

Rather than put the whole durn post in spoiler tags, I'm just leaving a few lines.

Okay, so. Impressions based on the two-part first story. Overall, it seems to be an illustration of The Joker's theory that all that seperates 'one of us' (a Gotham Rogue, or more generally anyone who dresses in a wierd costume and does dangerous things) and 'one of them' (a normal person) is one really, really bad day. A failed comedian sees something he shouldn't have having a smoke in the back alley behind a club, and ends up taking a swim through toxic goop to avoid mob leg-breakers. A district attorney gets half his body horribly scarred by acid. A kid gets his parents murdered in front of him. In this case, a girl does outstandingly well in a job application exam, but in some way she can't understand flubs the interview, losing the job she's always wanted, the freind who made the cut, and the house her parents owned, which was walking distance from their grave site. Finding she can't afford another place on the good side of town, and there aren't any available on the bad side of town, she fails several more job interviews that include room and board, has a few near misses from a couple of ... cops? bounty hunters? Dirty Pair wannabes? ... chasing some robbers, and gets her pocket picked so she doesn't even have taxi fare to get back to the house she has to clear out of and retrieve her belongings, getting stuck snoozing under an archway somewhere for the night. To top it all off, she's awakened by gunshots and pokes her head out to find the criminals from earlier still being chased, is taken hostage, and at the cliffhanger of Ep 1 gets shot by one of the pursuers because she's being used as a human shield. You'd think ep 2 would have to be better than that, right? Given that she wakes up, and all, it has to be a good thing after a day when she got shot. No, our heroine is firmly into Sidekick territory by now, having started as a studious and law abiding average citizen and now undercover in disguise and trapped between two groups she dislikes and fears just about equally. Judging by the opening animation it's likely she'll be in a silly costume by the opening credits of #3, as yet unsubbed but doubtless in the works.

Looking at it in terms of genre, DITBB looks like a pretty good action/fanservice show, complete with sprayed-on battle bikinis and special effect weapons, mostly nonlethal from what we've seen so far. The mechanical designs are futuristic and interesting, the world itself is different enough from our own to make me want to find out what happened to it, and animation quality in general seems good enough... keeping in mind that you can rarely judge a whole series by its first episode, I'd give this two-parter about six out of ten stars compared to only other first episodes, four of ten if it turns out to be representative of the series as a whole. The average is five stars, with zero being something so bad you don't even watch it all before deleting it and ten being so good you tell all your friends, burn it to disk for your permanent library, and rig up a VCR to the video out on your 3D card so you can make a VHS copy for that one buddy who's still in the stone age.

- CD
Old 2004-01-27, 00:00   Link #2
SidSavage

Actually, this is all being discussed in here: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=5070
Old 2004-01-27, 00:09   Link #3
gmackenz

One Star (out of Ten Stars)

I think I disliked just about everything about this show (particularily the extremely silly costumes). I wonder about the artists of these shows/manga sometimes...I used to draw the same stuff when I was a twelve-year-old, but matured and stopped when I was a few years older. Once I became an adult, I began to really appreciate less juvenile interests. This show reeks of juvenilia...

Only thing they didn't include for this tediously derivative show was the artillery shell breasts of that other stinker of a show Divergence Eve (maybe that breast art is copyrighted by D-E showmakers).

So if I was twelve-to-fourteen I'd get oodles of mastubatory pleasure out of this show, but most likely I'd have no time for the show as I'd have tired myself out watching the new season of D-E Boobie Show or Eiken [Eeeeek! What a horror that was!].
Old 2004-01-27, 00:33   Link #4
darkwave
Manual Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmackenz
I think I disliked just about everything about this show (particularily the extremely silly costumes). I wonder about the artists of these shows/manga sometimes...I used to draw the same stuff when I was a twelve-year-old, but matured and stopped when I was a few years older. Once I became an adult, I began to really appreciate less juvenile interests. This show reeks of juvenilia...
Ya same here! The ecchi costume are a bit to much for me. Its beginning to turn me off. Dont get me wrong, I like/love fanservice. I might skip this depending on Ep3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmackenz
So if I was twelve-to-fourteen I'd get oodles of mastubatory pleasure out of this show, but most likely I'd have no time for the show as I'd have tired myself out watching the new season of D-E Boobie Show or Eiken [Eeeeek! What a horror that was!].

Since im an ERO-fan, I appreciate that particular anime (Eiken).
Old 2004-01-27, 02:00   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

SidSavage got the right idea, please post your comments there.

Thread closed