Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-02-10, 18:50   Link #1
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Low on Virtual memory?

I had a message come up on my screen that said that my computer is "low on virtual memory". What does that mean and how can I fix it?
Old 2007-02-10, 19:04   Link #2
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer View Post
I had a message come up on my screen that said that my computer is "low on virtual memory". What does that mean and how can I fix it?
The paging file's size is not enough to accommodate the current memory requirements. Increase your paging file size, and use a memory cleaning program, to minimize the risk of reaching that level.

But if you have reached that level under normal operating conditions (no system problem leading to the continously increasing memory use), with the paging file's size is 1.5 times the your memory size, then, you might need to upgrade your memory.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-10, 19:10   Link #3
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazelyt View Post
The paging file's size is not enough to accommodate the current memory requirements. Increase your paging file size, and use a memory cleaning program, to minimize the risk of reaching that level.

But if you have reached that level under normal operating conditions (no system problem leading to the continously increasing memory use), with the paging file's size is 1.5 times the your memory size, then, you might need to upgrade your memory.
I don't understand... What's a paging file? Or memory cleaning program?
Old 2007-02-10, 19:31   Link #4
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Paging file corresponds to the virtual memory and it is a file created by windows by default to be used when you use all of your *hardware installed* memory. Since, it is a part of your hard drive, it is normally slower than your *hardware installed* memory.

If your machine's *hardware installed* memory is 512mb, and if the programs you run requires 800mb ram, the difference will be compensated by the paging file (hence the word - virtual memory)...

Sometimes, the memory used by the programs stays in use, even after you close the program. Or, sometimes you run a program and you do not use it for some time. Memory cleaning program tries to reclaim that *used* or *currently unused but seems to be used* memory to make it available, hence it increases the available memory space.

Here is the link where you find a few memory improving programs: freeram, memturbo, rambooster...
Old 2007-02-10, 19:36   Link #5
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy

Okay, that clears things up a li'l. Thanks.
Old 2007-02-10, 19:38   Link #6
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

You can read more on paging file in this site, I checked it, seems to have enough information on this issue.
Old 2007-02-11, 17:21   Link #7
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

the website has all the info and is good, here is a quickie post

right click my computer

click the advaced tab

on performance click the settings tab

then click the advanced tab in the center on performance options

under virtual memory click change.

on a laptop it should show u a limit, change max size close to your limit, probably around 4k is good; home PC can be higher, but dont put a stupid large number unless u have to. change minimum size to about double what is recommended, usually about 3000 or 2000.

*this is important*
restart your computer before making ANY other changes that will affect windows boot up. i recommend you restart immediately incase of crashes or u forget what u did.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 14:48   Link #8
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Here is the link where you find a few memory improving programs: freeram, memturbo, rambooster...
Don't use those. There is no such thing as a "memory improving program". They may create more "free" RAM, but at the same time they degrade performance. RAM is supposed to be used; free RAM is nothing but wasted electricity. The OS is supposed to fill the RAM however it finds the best, although it might not always be how the user likes it (for how to tune it, linux's swappiness parametre comes to mind).

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-12, 15:17   Link #9
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaamu View Post
Don't use those. There is no such thing as a "memory improving program". They may create more "free" RAM, but at the same time they degrade performance. RAM is supposed to be used; free RAM is nothing but wasted electricity. The OS is supposed to fill the RAM however it finds the best, although it might not always be how the user likes it (for how to tune it, linux's swappiness parametre comes to mind).
I have used those programs before *a lot* when I was low on memory, so I believe I am experienced in that aspect.

If you have enough memory to not require the use of such programs, you are right, you do not need to install them.

But if you have constraints on memory - such as running winxp at 512mb ram, and trying to use lots of unnecessary programs at the same time, then these programs definitely help improve your performance - as long as you keep the settings at reasonable levels.

Also, if you consider having free ram as wasted energy, have you tried running winxp at 256mb ram? You are guaranteed to not have a single bit of memory resources free, and you can test whether your computer can take advantage of such memory freeing programs or not.

Last edited by Sazelyt; 2007-02-12 at 15:40. Reason: One word added...
Old 2007-02-12, 15:29   Link #10
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Also, if you consider having free ram as wasted energy, have you tried running winxp at 256mb ram?
256 millibits? Not on that little, but I do run it on a computer with 256 MB of RAM (a system 5 or 6 years old). I usually have 64 or more megs of RAM used for system disk cache, and a few megs of free RAM. The only time it swaps to disk is when I play a game for some time.

I have also tried to run Mac OS X on 2 gigabytes of RAM and I usually have 20-30 megs of free RAM. One or two quarters of it is regularly used for disk cache.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote