AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-04-06, 12:27   Link #181
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_Method View Post
It seems like there's a bunch of characters are from different plays by Shakespeare in this. I believe someone already mentioned Emilia. Also there's Portia who's from Julius Caesar.
I'm not sure if this Portia is from Julius Caerar or The Merchant of Venic since I don't know who she is yet. But other than the main characters, here's are some of the other characters and which play I think they're taken from:

Spoiler for The play they're taken from might foreshade the fate of the characters:
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 12:39   Link #182
flou
That's no lady

@Mangaka-chan
Spoiler:
flou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 15:14   Link #183
Allamanda
Kiyu Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipotlar View Post
Btw, anyone knows how long this anime going to run?
A half year (aka two cours).
Allamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 16:10   Link #184
lommm
l'homme de lommm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flou View Post
@Mangaka-chan
Spoiler:
yeah, i'm thinking that every non-R&J character still comes from plays that take place in Venice or on/near the Mediterranean.
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:14   Link #185
cyoti

King Lear takes place in England.
cyoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:15   Link #186
mouhitori

Just watched the first episode, and I am glad there is no mecha, talking tanks, or fairies making an appearance so far

Seriously, I was expecting the story to be butchered a lot more, so I was happy with the way they go about the story.
The music scores are great too, and I found out most of them were composed by the same guy responsible for FF tactics and FFXII, Hitoshi Sakimoto.

More impression on episode 1 and screencaps
mouhitori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:19   Link #187
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

I though it was fantastic. I really wasn't expecting this to be such fun. Gonzo's approach is genius. They really have injected considerable vitality and genuine pleasure into the old story. I'm not attached to Shakespeare so the liberties just make me chuckle, rather than irk me and, for once, you really sense they have hit all the right chords. I just hope they stick to it for 26 episodes but, like others have said, the thought of a tragic ending makes me quite pensive. Both Juliet and Romeo are such adorable characters that the thought of their demise is troublesome.

One thing that really impressed me was how convincing Neo Verona was portrayed. You get a real sense of a living breathing city, with the echelons of society amongst the crumbling remains of the floating city where a wrong turn can literally mean a plunge into the abyss.

It's also the first Gonzo anime I've seen where the inclusion of a ball room scene actually makes sense lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Sakimoto is great in grand orchestral video game soundtracks, I'm so looking forwards to this show's music.
Loved the soundtrack. I'm a big fan of Sakimoto's game soundtracks (FF Tactics especially) and enjoyed the music here alot. The pieces that spring to mind when Odin/Juliet heads back to the theatre, when she tries on the dress and the ominous switch in tone during Juliet and Romeo's meeting near the fountain. Wonderful stuff.

The ED though really feels totally out of place. I will skip it for 26 weeks and beyond.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 17:28   Link #188
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

I don't understand why people don't like a lot of Gonzo's works. Every Gonzo show I watched I thought was good except for Saikano. Maybe there's something I'm not seeing? Well I guess it doesn't matter, aslong as the upcoming episodes are as good as the first. Hopefully Gonzo did a good job with Kaze no Stigma too.
Old 2007-04-06, 18:53   Link #189
DangerMouse

I think it's trendy for one, and two, too many people complain about good CG, claiming it's awful even when done well.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 19:11   Link #190
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Because there seem to be this general idea that Gonzo's adaptions generally suck. GANTZ, Hellsing TV, Black Cat, NHK, Chrono Crusade, Full Metal Panic...

Personally, I don't really care for they've made some quality shows like Kaleido Star, Vandread, Gatekeepers, Last Exile among other things amidst some more mediocre works...Most studios have several black sheeps or 10 in their history anyway, especially if they've been long in the industry.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-06, 23:47   Link #191
KJlost

For a show I wasn't expecting much from, this is a pleasant surprise.

I mean, yes, this adoptation is different from the original, but after the play and movie adoptations, do we really want pure vanilla story? Besides, I'm of the opinion nothing they can do the story can be worse than the 1996 movie version.

I liked Gonzo work well enough anyway, so no problem there.

The opening was another bit of surprise. The first time I heard it, I though I recognized the vocal's style. I love Lena Park's musics, so another point there.
KJlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 01:29   Link #192
Master Ran
The Invincible Dawn

You Raise Me Up...hmmm.
it would have been better if they use the Land Before Time these song "If we hold on together"

Just kidding

I just hope the kewl anime style doesn't drop on future episodes.
Master Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 02:13   Link #193
prince leon
red knight

I loved Lena Park's version of You Raise Me Up. I had to rip it immediately and loop the track over and over.

As for the episode itself, I was personally blown away. This Romeo and Juliet are almost instantly lovable and knowing their sad fate helps bring you closer to them.

GONZO did an awesome job with the first episode and so I hope they continue the good work.
Old 2007-04-07, 03:01   Link #194
lommm
l'homme de lommm

we had seen some of this ep in the trailer so i'm really hoping that the rest of the eps are as good and that they didn't blow their bidget too early or anything like that...
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 22:40   Link #195
Kuro

what program should I use to rip the OP? I have the first episode, raw
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-07, 22:56   Link #196
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Cool Edit Pro can do it.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 00:27   Link #197
Freeter
beyond

Have any fansub groups expressed an interest in subbing this? I'm a little surprised that with all the hype this series has gotten, no one has picked it up yet.
Old 2007-04-08, 01:43   Link #198
xizro345
King's Justice

Since it's so popular I think people may think it's going to be licensed soon.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 03:42   Link #199
Haibra

the show is sub in chinese and spenish language.

i have the hope for english sub .. if this anime will be licensed .. i think the other groub will still sub it like death note.
Haibra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 06:07   Link #200
Runesque
Reluctant Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Have any fansub groups expressed an interest in subbing this? I'm a little surprised that with all the hype this series has gotten, no one has picked it up yet.
I've always thought that since Umai Fansubs did the trailer they've committed to subbing the series. Also, if you check the "help classified" thread in the Fansub forum, you'll see that at least three groups including Umai are set to do it, but they're still looking for recruits I think.
Runesque is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, romance