AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 25 24.51%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 45.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 18.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 7.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 1.96%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-03, 14:43   Link #41
Sai the Dreamer
Dead Sexy
*Graphic Designer

What a lovely episode! It had a very suitable mood and, despite being quite adequately paced, flew by because I was enjoying it so much! Hopefully this is the appetiser with more to come yet.
Old 2007-05-03, 15:38   Link #42
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knavinusa View Post
There's one thing I'm still wondering about Clare, though. Why is it that her eyes are green here, but brown when she took the pills in episodes 3 and 4? I thought the pills were supposed to revert her eyes back to their human colour (and in Clare's case they would be green). I'm assuming it means that the pills can either change her eyes into any colour she wishes, or that the pills are only able to produce a brown colour. Still, I doubt that because the pills she took are supposed to suppress her Yoma powers, correct?

Brown:

Green:
well this has been talked about quite a bit but the best thing would just to stop stressing over it and wait for an explination ~ i doubt that the eye colour could have been a mistake on the animator's part so if i do have to guess the infusion with the yoma could have changed her physically...from what i can see the hue he hair displays seems to have changed from a blondish colour to white...it could just be a side effect that he eyes has changed to a brown colour ~ another thought would that the pills only change the eye colour of the person taking it to brown ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I believe it was more like she did not care about them doing anything to her body.
Possible self loathing or something similar.
i wont say its self loating but more of a "come an get me if your stomach can handle it" kinda thing

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-03, 16:13   Link #43
Drytchnath
Sexual Tyrannosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
I'm even more amazed that the hare was caught whole, unlike the desert lizard clare caught in episode 2. Maybe she sets traps?
On the issue of the hare, you saw how fast Theresa is capable of moving. Catching a mere hare or rabbit would be child's play. Also, Theresa did lose her sarcastic, and awesome, sense of dark humor that was more pronounced in the manga. Guess i'll have to live with that dissapointment. Everything else was pretty spot on and well executed. Can't wait till stuff really gets rolling in this arc, its gonna be one helluva ride.
Old 2007-05-03, 17:12   Link #44
Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
I believe it was more like she did not care about them doing anything to her body.
Possible self loathing or something similar.
I generally agree--and there was some evidence in the manga to suggest this as well. This, I suppose, counts as a spoiler for a past event. In the manga, this scene occurred just before Teresa decided sitting on the floor by her sword was more comfortable than a bed. However, it's possible that they moved this scene to a later episode--because in the manga it was a one-page, text-only scene where Teresa reflected on her past. This type of information could be the type of tidbit they casually stuff into a later scene--but, it could also just be one of the many manga details the anime has skipped completely.

Eh. It helps to explain why she responded to the bandits as she did, so I'll put a summary of Teresa's reflection on her body under a tag and leave reading it up to people's discretion. If this scene is included later, then reading it just means you'll get a small bit of Teresa's backstory and hints as to the nature of the Claymores a bit earlier than other anime-only viewers; if you don't want to take that 'gambit', then don't click the tag for a few episodes.

spoiler removed

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2007-05-03 at 17:49.
Old 2007-05-05, 01:58   Link #45
astrallionheart

So Claymores all get turned into blondes? I mean Clare started off with orange-brown hair.
Old 2007-05-05, 02:08   Link #46
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

It seems so. Judging by the two Claymores we've seen and every Claymore in the OP, it seems that they loose pigment in their hair and eyes. If some rare Claymore has pigmentation it hasn't been seen yet.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-05-05, 03:52   Link #47
dutchman
Follower of Claymorerism

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallionheart View Post
So Claymores all get turned into blondes? I mean Clare started off with orange-brown hair.
Astrallionheart all Claymores are indeed blondes and their changing to hybrids is apperentely what causes it.

In eps 5 of the anime this part was left out but in the manga Teresa thinks to herself how she always liked her former 'raven black hair'.

This extract is from the manga vol.3 just after Teresa meets Clare for the first time (in the village after freeing her from the yoma)

volume 3 - page 97 on the last panel in the left corner. "In that moment my cherished black hair my black eyes all of the color drained from my body, leaving only these shining silver eyes".

Some have speculated that being made hybrids causes their body to change its genetic makeup.
Old 2007-05-05, 06:26   Link #48
Seska

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It seems so. Judging by the two Claymores we've seen and every Claymore in the OP, it seems that they loose pigment in their hair and eyes. If some rare Claymore has pigmentation it hasn't been seen yet.
Or they use the same DNA source Sample, to "build" their Claymores.
Old 2007-05-05, 22:55   Link #49
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Leaving aside Terresa's awesomeness aside just for a bit , what caught my eye about this ep was the landscapes . The art on this project has been oustanding but the animation team have outdone themselves by presenting such marvellous landscapes . Each landscape presented is somewhat of a masterpeice by anime standards . And the music added a nice touch some may say there are other animes which have better BGM , but for this scenario it cant get better . ^__^

Quote:
Old 2007-05-06, 01:04   Link #50
Child_of_Sierra

the village overview caught my eye as well. Movement and some animation scenes are debatable but the backdrops of the show are what captivates me every episode. Ah, if only they get another job in a town with a castle or fortress so we can see more medieval renditions.
Old 2007-05-06, 01:14   Link #51
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child_of_Sierra View Post
Ah, if only they get another job in a town with a castle or fortress so we can see more medieval renditions.
Yeah being somewhat of a fan of Gothic style architecture the last arc was a treat the cathedral was really well animated : )
Old 2007-05-06, 01:38   Link #52
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

I'm a bit puzzled by people's expectations of Teresa's voice. Higher pitch? My mind can't seem to grasp that, it just doesn't fit. Romi pretty much nailed it spot on to what I thought her voice would sound like, and just did an excellent job all around. Only odd feeling bit was in the final scene when naming Clare, when she asked Clare what she thought of the name. Seemed just a bit too excited in that bit, considering her reserved nature. But then, given her smile after that, who knows. Maybe she just unconciously just got a little bit too much into it (Teresa, not Romi).

Confirmation of the rule forbidding Claymores to kill humans. Helpful info for those who thought Clare should have just gutted the guards back in the Holy City. Aside from not being beneficial to her situation, it's strictly against the rules.

Episode slightly stripped of some exposition, primarily Teresa's internal monologue in her hotel room. Also sad that they dropped the "We don't?" comment Teresa made to the collector.

Speaking of the collector, I didn't remember it being quite so stark in the manga, but it very much seemed as if he had been listening in on what she said in the town. Yet it's hard to imagine his skulkingness to be that easily overlooked by the villagers, or for him to show up immediately after her little speech, if he were to be able to catch up with Teresa outside of town. He caught Teresa's attention with the comment, so it's not like she could have reported what she said to them. So how did he hear what was going on?

Pacing is again quite good. The period of Clare following Teresa didn't feel rushed, though I think they cut out little snippets here and there. There's a good feeling of them spending a fair amount of time together, even though it hasn't really been that long yet.

Slight animation flub: They didn't draw in the bottom tip of Teresa's sword during the first part of the final scene when she's talking with (and naming) Clare.
Old 2007-05-06, 01:57   Link #53
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Amazing episode. Once aqain, I'm glad I haven't read a manga, so I can be properly appreciative of Paku Romi. This Teresa is fascinating and powerful. Since it was clear to me from near the start who the girl was, I knew how it was going to end, but Teresa's coldness (warm coldness?) was still very strong.

The animation is great, despite the roughness of the drawing. And the extreme punishment Clare took from Teresa and from her fall jacked up the emotional impact of the whole thing. You could really feel just how mistreated and abandoned Clare was. No criticism intended, but compare that to Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-05-06, 02:56   Link #54
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

wow, teresa's VA was romi paku? I didnt even realize XD But IMO, the voice fits her very well. I dont know, I havent sieen the manga, but it just fits with how she looks and her status. I was totally in the dark that clare was the girl till the end of the episode ( to be honest, even at the end of the episode, i had thought it was a girl with the same name XD )
Old 2007-05-06, 03:42   Link #55
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Amazing episode. Once aqain, I'm glad I haven't read a manga, so I can be properly appreciative of Paku Romi.
KC, I so envy you. Seriously. You are SO LUCKY. If there's only one little piece of well-intentioned advice I could give, it's to avoid the manga and all spoilerish threads entirely for a honest fresh experience.

If we look at the thread, most of the review comments are concentrating on comparisons between the original manga and the anime, NOT on the value of the anime itself. It's understandable, because if you're about to get seriously hooked to the show, it's also natural to grab the manga. That's the trap I fell into, and I finished the last raw at 4am in the morning...

I'll be looking at your notes to gauge how the anime in itself will fare with "neutral" unspoiled spectators. And it's gonna be particularly interesting to see soon, real soon, because the story's gloves will come off now.

Geta Boshi: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that the background artwork is incredible. Overall, Madhouse's work utterly exceeds my expectations. If they can manage to animate the key episodes 7+8 well, I'm sure we're having a masterpiece in the making, one of the real classics in anime.

And I long for the day when I finally get the real deal into my fingers... the DVD sources.
Old 2007-05-06, 04:06   Link #56
Seska

landscape/background gallery : http://www.kusanagi.co.jp/artgallery...re/gallery.htm

Have a nice day
Old 2007-05-07, 10:06   Link #57
Benio

Like Mentar said, stay away from the manga if you haven't read it until the anime is over. But be sure to read the manga later on as it's such a masterpiece. For me, I'm glad I read the manga first. From the way they executed Teresa's introduction in the anime, I think the manga is better, although the anime is not bad. So I'd rather read the manga fresh and appreciate everything in it than watch the anime unspoiled and then read the manga.

I like Paku Romi and I have to say she is great for the "cool and cold" Teresa that you see in the anime. But that Teresa is not quite the same as Teresa in the manga. In the manga, Teresa is equally cool but more adorable--she looks like a doll, always smiles in her "faint smile" style, is more lively (on the outside), and has a sense of dark humor like someone said. More importantly, she doesn't seem as cold but rather *harder to reach* and that gives you a bigger smile and emotional impact for what will happen later on in my opinion.

I would think Paku Romi's voice would be perfect for Jean, a character that will appear later. I don't know, it's probably just me.
Old 2007-05-07, 14:24   Link #58
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benio View Post
I would think Paku Romi's voice would be perfect for Jean, a character that will appear later. I don't know, it's probably just me.
Seconded.

I agree, the Manga still has its own charm seperate from the Anime, especially with Teresa. The anime does do a good job on putting the story to animated form though.
Old 2007-05-07, 20:12   Link #59
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptileex View Post
wow, teresa's VA was romi paku? I didnt even realize XD But IMO, the voice fits her very well. I dont know, I havent sieen the manga, but it just fits with how she looks and her status. I was totally in the dark that clare was the girl till the end of the episode ( to be honest, even at the end of the episode, i had thought it was a girl with the same name XD )
Yeah that’s a big revelation in episode 5. To be honest when I was reading the manga concerned with episode 5 I was wondering why did the focus shift from Clare and who is Teresa. Being a fellow manga reader I do recommend you to read Claymore Manga, it’s really good and my current favorite right now .

And on the topic of Romi Paku more info in this thread. When I first came to know its Paku I couldn’t believe it due to her previous roles but indeed she lives up to her reputation : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seska View Post
ooh thanx for posting the linkage, muchos appreciated ^__^
Old 2007-05-07, 21:11   Link #60
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Spoiler for why the comparisons:

To comment on this episode alone and to ignore the fact that I've read up to Vol 7 in BAM (Books-A-Million), Teresa comes across as being too overpowered. I'm not saying that in any sort of negative way but for her, why even bother to have her in the field?? That's like having a Sherman tank battalion patrol some farmland out in Montana... She really gives the air of being not only seasoned in being a Claymore but being too damned good at it. Heh, those Youma didn't stand a chance at all. She's like Hitokiri Battousai.

I wonder what would have happened if she would have said, "Flee from me you peasents...lest you lose thy hand to my blade." Probably would have gotten the exact same reaction. XD
Closed Thread